or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nokia commercial slams iPhone 5's lack of color

Nokia commercial slams iPhone 5's lack of color

post #1 of 93
A new commercial from Nokia is the latest to attack Apple new handset, this time focusing on the iPhone 5's lack of colorway options.

Nokia Ad
Source: Nokia via YouTube

In comparison to Samsung's long-running campaign poking fun at "line-waiters," Nokia's new commercial seems to quite banal, choosing to focus on relatively insignificant device colors rather than touting its Lumia 920 handset's technical features.

As noted by The Verge, the minute-long "Time to Switch" commercial portrays the dismal life of iPhone upgraders, who are once again waiting in line for the new product's release, in an obvious jab at complaints of the iPhone 5 being too boring.

Starting out in muted black and white tones, the ad follows an early-adopter who, upon reaching the sales desk of an Apple Store, asks the bespectacled employee "color?" Apparently staff at Apple's retail outlets are angered by this question, as alarms and buzzers sound, prompting the hero to flee outside where he sees a variety of people carrying the new Lumia 920. Of course, all the Nokia handsets are portrayed in bright colors.

The commercial ends with the "This is Lumia" tagline alongside an image of the Finnish device running Windows Phone 8.

It appears that Nokia is attempting to incorporate a social element to the new Apple-bashing campaign, offering up the Twitter tag #switch.
post #2 of 93
Funny how the iHaters accuse Apple of focusing on style rather than function - yet their competitors are attacking them for lack of color in their phone cases.

Three words:

Buy a case.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #3 of 93

A dying smartphone company slams the most successful smartphone company in the world for making a product that, in their opinion, is not good enough. Interesting marketing strategy.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #4 of 93

And this is why Nokia will WIN!!!!

They go right for the throat - right for the vitals!

How can you compete with that??!?!!???

post #5 of 93
That was the worst commercial ever!
post #6 of 93
I would like to see a Apple Store exclusive (Product) Red iPhone 5 sometime within the next year.
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
post #7 of 93

post #8 of 93
stealing from 1984 - how original Nokia
post #9 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by wscow View Post

That was the worst commercial ever!

I don't see how you can object to an androgynous, synthetic humanoid thingy that wants a bucket of paint poured all over its phone - its pure genius!

post #10 of 93
Quite possibly the worst commercial I've ever seen, which is a shame because it actually looks like a nice phone. Unfortunately, like most companies competing with Apple now a days, the seem so focused on trying to find things that iPhone can't do, the completely forget to tell me what there phones can do.
post #11 of 93

I'd scream too if someone gave me a yellow phone.

If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
post #12 of 93

I watched it and IMO the ad is attacking the endless line of drone like buyers rather than the phone itself.

post #13 of 93
I didn't know the color of the phone makes it better or worse.
post #14 of 93
Personally, i think the Nokia colors a FUGLY.
post #15 of 93
Racists.

Jk
post #16 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

I would like to see a Apple Store exclusive (Product) Red iPhone 5 sometime within the next year.

Checkout http://www.ifixdirect.com/

post #17 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

I watched it and IMO the ad is attacking the endless line of drone like buyers rather than the phone itself.

Not that that'll do much anyway. 

Apple tops consumer satisfaction reports year after year. Every iPhone that has ever existed, has dominated consumer satisfaction utterly. 

post #18 of 93

Desperation from a nearly dead company. Because nobody wants the shit Nokia is peddling. For nearly TWO full years now. 

post #19 of 93

ahhh hahahahahahahah

post #20 of 93

Does the "You're stupid for owning <insert competitor product name>!" method of marketing work? 

post #21 of 93
For many years Nokia existed because nobody in the phone industry innovated, consumers had to be happy with the crap phone companies created, that was untill Apple created the iPhone. Then suddenly all the phone companies started to see their market share decline because consumer had enough of their crappy phones. They couldn't even catch up to Apple, they didn't know how to innovate. Innovation was like this phenomenon to them. Now Nokia wants to create the illusion that they are the innovative company???? And they focus on colour???? Really all these phone companies that existed before the iPhone has no right to be alive anymore.
post #22 of 93
Yawn....

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

post #23 of 93

I guess this is what you have to do when your device and platform doesn't have any inherent redeeming qualities.

Which is a flipping shame, since one, it's Microsoft, who has the people and resources to make that platform great and two, the platform itself actually deserves to succeed, given that they did everything right that Android did wrong.

Nokia's on their own. They've been in the phone business long enough and had enough time to see what the iPhone did right to know better by now.

The first 20 seconds of the ad are beautiful. The music is great, the world's material has a great feeling to it (though it's transparent where it shouldn't be and lacks contrast where it should exist), but the rest is just… poorly done. Bad music, off-key, and not NEARLY enough emphasis on the change that is supposed to have been enacted by the change in product. My stars… 

I like how all the competitors have jumped on the "4➔5" bandwagon. Makes you wonder if they shouldn't have just dropped the numbers entirely.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 10/2/12 at 4:38pm

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #24 of 93
Nokia is desperate. Oh and by the way, it isn't going to work just like copycat Samsung's childish in line commercials.
post #25 of 93

You've lost the battle and the war when all you've got left if attacking your competitor's products rather than touting your own.

post #26 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Not that that'll do much anyway. 

Apple tops consumer satisfaction reports year after year. Every iPhone that has ever existed, has dominated consumer satisfaction utterly. 

It'll be about as effective as Apples 1984 ad was, I'd guess.

post #27 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Does the "You're stupid for owning <insert competitor product name>!" method of marketing work? 

Obviously not. The 1984 ad did nothing, as will this ad. The "I'm a Mac & I'm a PC" ads no longer air and the "If you're stupid you should own this" Genius ads were pulled.

post #28 of 93

The loud colors distract from the content.  Same reason TV bezels are not colorful.

post #29 of 93

Nokia could focus on the camera, but we all know that's fake.

post #30 of 93

Nokia is run by stupid people. Don't they realise its Android killing them, not iPhone. People who don't care what phone they have got a Nokia on the cheapest plan, now they end up with Android on the cheapest plan.

post #31 of 93
I have a feeling this isn't genuine, to be honest. I may be wrong, but the tags at the bottom at the end of the ad suggest to me this has been made by other folk.
post #32 of 93
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post
The 1984 ad did nothing…

The oft-proclaimed greatest advertisement of all time did "nothing"?

The "I'm a Mac & I'm a PC" ads no longer air…

And those didn't demean people in the first place.

…the "If you're stupid you should own this" Genius ads were pulled.

Yeah, they… weren't the… lol.gif

post #33 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

The loud colors distract from the content.  Same reason TV bezels are not colorful.

There's still a black bezel, genius.

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #34 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Nokia could focus on the camera, but we all know that's fake.

Sure. Fake.

post #35 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sip View Post

You've lost the battle and the war when all you've got left if attacking your competitor's products rather than touting your own.

... they are doing both?

post #36 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Funny how the iHaters accuse Apple of focusing on style rather than function - yet their competitors are attacking them for lack of color in their phone cases.
Three words:
Buy a case.

That's very un-Apple-like

post #37 of 93
OMFG! That was so lame!!! LOL!
post #38 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

There's still a black bezel, genius.

Black is, pretty much by definition, not "colorful."  He didn't say that TV bezels don't have a color.

post #39 of 93

Failed. Does the ad agency realized this kind of ads only does one things? It pushes the viewer to choose between two brands. If you are already an Apple user, this is just silly. If you are not a Apple user, you still have a ton of other choices than Nokia...If you are Nokia, why would you mention iPhone as your direct competitor??? In short, what a waste of money! I give Nokia 2-3 years before they go under. I can't decide if Blackberry will beat them to the punch or not through?

post #40 of 93
If you can't beat them, slam them.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nokia commercial slams iPhone 5's lack of color