or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple now building 'iPad mini,' WSJ says

Apple now building 'iPad mini,' WSJ says

post #1 of 64
Apple has begun production of a smaller iPad with a 7.85-inch LCD display ahead of a forthcoming launch, The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday.

The report, citing people with knowledge of the situation, said that Asian component suppliers have initiated production. It said the new, smaller iPad will feature a display with a lower resolution than the new iPad, which features a 9.7-inch Retina display.

Citing two individuals specifically, the report said that mass production of LCD displays for the smaller iPad began last month. Both LG Display Co. and AU Optronics Corp. are said to be building screens for the new device.

The news comes as alleged parts from Apple's so-called "iPad mini" leaked online on Tuesday. They showed black and white designs, suggesting the device will come in two colors, and a space for a nano-SIM tray, implying at least one version of the device will offer cellular data connectivity.

iPad mini

Another picture of the back of the device showed an Apple logo and the name "iPad" in a manner identical to the full-sized model. There was no indication that the device would have the name "iPad mini" or "iPad Air" emblazoned on the back.

The device was also shown to have a thinner bezel on the sides than the full-size iPad. The new design could allow the device to be more easily held with one hand.

Wednesday's report gave no indication that production of the iPad mini is underway anywhere but Asia. One report this week claimed that production of the device is now underway in Brazil.

News of the iPad mini has picked up considerable steam this week, as Apple is expected to hold an event in October to unveil the device. Yet another report issued on Tuesday claimed that AU Optronics is building iPad mini screens ahead of an expected November product launch, presumably following an October media event unveiling.
post #2 of 64
Here comes the sideswiper for Samsung from Apple:

The 7.85 inch 'iPhone 5 Solar System Note Edition'.

(The Note is: Colour not included)
post #3 of 64
I'm still curious about the specs and pricing. I'm hoping for at least an A5 in the entry level model and a price below $300.
post #4 of 64
Certainly hope that certain i(nternet) person won't be posting today.

Will it look like:
post #5 of 64
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
Will it look like:

Yes, minus all that crap, I'd wager. Just 3.5mm, speaker hole, and Lightning.

And even smaller.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #6 of 64
Curious on everyone's take. Do you think there will be an iPad Mini this month?

I think no, but I hope there is. The $299 iPod touch (that still has to be released this month)- pretty much killed the idea for me.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #7 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I'm still curious about the specs and pricing. I'm hoping for at least an A5 in the entry level model and a price below $300.

I'm betting on an A5/32nm but there is an argument to be made that A6/32nm could allow Apple to reduce the MHz while still maintain a relative performance level thus reducing the battery size, weight, and cost significantly so that it could be lighter, thinner, and potentially even cheaper than with the A5/32nm.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #8 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Curious on everyone's take. Do you think there will be an iPad Mini this month?
I think no, but I hope there is.

Based on all the "evidence" I think an October event with a November release could happen. Apple has the iPad market sewn up tight in terms of profits but it could use an iPad mini explosion to suck the rest of the air of the room to prevent the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 from gaining as much traction this Holiday Shopping Season.

November is pushing it for a release but the cheaper you go the easier it is to slide in a product at the last minute. US Thanksgiving is November 23rd this year. I could see plenty thinking they want a Kindle or Nexus because of the price and size changing their mind at the last minute for an iPad mini even though it costs a little more. If you have other iOS devices it's really an easy sell.

post #9 of 64
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
Do you think there will be an iPad Mini this month? I think no, but I hope there is. The $299 iPod touch (that still has to be released this month)- pretty much killed the idea for me.

Yes. I think so but I hope there isn't. And the same explanation, actually, but other reasons killed the idea for me a long time ago.

post #10 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm betting on an A5/32nm but there is an argument to be made that A6/32nm could allow Apple to reduce the MHz while still maintain a relative performance level thus reducing the battery size, weight, and cost significantly so that it could be lighter, thinner, and potentially even cheaper than with the A5/32nm.

I would not be surprised if you are right on with the A6 plus more production of A6 brings costs down even further. What are your thoughts on the Touch after this ...? Price drop or product drop?
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #11 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes. I think so but I hope there isn't. And the same explanation, actually, but other reasons killed the idea for me a long time ago.

Why I hope there is, is because the only reason I ever hear for not buying an iPad is the person wants something cheaper and will put up with smaller size. With both iPad and iPad mini the air just got sucked out of the market for all other tablets other for the Apple haters who will stick with their PC crap and Clunky tablet.
post #12 of 64
I don't think such skinny bezel edges are a good idea. Makes it hard to hold it by the sides in portrait mode without touching the screen.
post #13 of 64
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post
I don't think such skinny bezel edges are a good idea. Makes it hard to hold it by the sides in portrait mode without touching the screen.

Ah, but you're supposed to be able to hold it from behind with one hand like a phone because it's "small enough to do that", so iPad-width bezels aren't needed.

post #14 of 64
I know what my family will be getting for XMAS
post #15 of 64
Quote:

Ah, but you're supposed to be able to hold it from behind with one hand like a phone because it's "small enough to do that", so iPad-width bezels aren't needed.

Are you missing an /s? A 7" to 8" tablet is still a bit big for that in my opinion. I would buy that argument for Samsung's Galaxy S III, but that's a 5" tablet.
post #16 of 64
Are you missing an /s? A 7" to 8" tablet is still a bit big for that in my opinion. I would buy that argument for Samsung's Galaxy S III, but that's a 5" tablet.

No, I'm just repeating what people who think this thing is a good idea are saying.

If they're being sarcastic, they've played the best game of thinly-veiled sarcasm I've ever had the misfortune to be on the receiving end of, and I tip my hat to them. lol.gif

post #17 of 64
Quote:

Quote:

No, I'm just repeating what people who think this thing is a good idea are saying.

If they're being sarcastic, they've played the best game of thinly-veiled sarcasm I've ever had the misfortune to be on the receiving end of, and I tip my hat to them. lol.gif

Quote:

On the one hand, ...a sleight of hand...?

If they can cram twice the internals of the iPad 'two-handed' 1st generation into a 'one-handed' slate, shed half its weight, cut the original price by half, ...and increase battery time between charges by half, well...that glass of iOS 6 whine will look half-empty to a whole lot of happy-hours patrons heading into grumpy season...

On the other hand, ...a handmaiden...?

Two and a half years, ...from infancy to adulthood... Hmm...the time scale nature devised to keep some mammals on their toes, treading treaturous lifelines with juvenile bravado as they methodically hone their kill set. Well...that time frame happens to cover the half-life of a clean slate, the iPad...versions all generations,  henceforth hooking up with the mobile crowd...be it age-old half-dried, or...new-age half-wet...

Or could 7,85inches just be shorthand for 'filling-a-void with a feather-light read/write tablet'...?

Hello? Hello? Are you there? For I most certainly am with my iPhoamy, my handful...my earful...my talkative tablet...!
post #18 of 64

i believe that it will be a 399 (and up) model.

apple will make the perfect 7 or 8 inch tablet for those that really want one.. they won't make a cheap tablet for those that want "cheap cheap cheap".

that isn't apple's market. you guys are delusional if you think that this will be cheap with less quality.

apple is about quality 399, retina, a6, 1gb ram, 7h battery instead of 10 and that's it. maybe 4g (499), maybe not.

post #19 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I would not be surprised if you are right on with the A6 plus more production of A6 brings costs down even further. What are your thoughts on the Touch after this ...? Price drop or product drop?
I imagine the touch is the device that will be canibalized here. I only really see young kids with touches and they mostly keep them at home. They will welcome a larger screen. I can see the touch slowly dying as the iPhone and iPad mini will devour it.
post #20 of 64
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post
apple is about quality 399, retina, a6, 1gb ram, 7h battery instead of 10 and that's it. maybe 4g (499), maybe not.

That sounds REALLY logical. And will make it a huge failure in the eyes of the public that demands a $249 tablet.

post #21 of 64
As long as the iPad Mini is released before Black Friday in the US (and provided the retail stores have enough in stock to meet demand), it'll sell fine through the holidays.
post #22 of 64
Quote:

apple will make the perfect 7 or 8 inch tablet for those that really want one.. they won't make a cheap tablet for those that want "cheap cheap cheap".

that isn't apple's market. you guys are delusional if you think that this will be cheap with less quality.

Maybe next year, if the form factor shows some pull in the market, I could see that. But this year it's all about the size and who wants to fit it into their lives. Test marketing, if you will.

No retina option yet. It would reflect badly on the entry-level model.
post #23 of 64
Quote:

That sounds REALLY logical. And will make it a huge failure in the eyes of the public that demands a $249 tablet.

I could not agree more. The touch should've been dropped (or $229) and the iPad mini should have been $299 with everything the new touch has. That would've been extremely successful. People love apple, but I don't know if the general public will pick a 7-8" iPad mini that is twice the price as a kindle or nexus (regardless of how crappy those would be in comparison). $100 more, sure. Double the price? Doubtful.

The touch pricing still makes me cringe. $100 more than a 8" nexus. Insanity. This will likely be the worst selling touch in history by a mile (although the excuse will be because the iPhone consumed it- which will be a part-truth).

post #24 of 64
Quote:

I agree, except that we might see an IGZO display and a base price of $349 ($449 with 4G). That's a bit higher than the iPod Touch's $299 price point, allowing them to somewhat differentiate those products and discontinue selling the iPad 2 at $399. They might also want to use the iPad Mini to test out IGZO in a new low-stakes product category. I'd be shocked if they shipped the Mini with a less brilliant, less pixel-dense display. I'm more excited by this product launch than anything else Apple has released this year.

For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #25 of 64
a truly cool iPad mini would be one with that new 5" sharp 1920 x 1080 display...
post #26 of 64

I understand concerns about the high iPod Touch pricing, however, I think Apple's pricing rationale is that current and potential iTouch users will see the latest model as a viable alternative to an iPhone, complete with AirPlay, iMessage, gaming and everything else the App Store has to offer.

More and more, a lotta people, especially teens, are very adept at getting by without cellular connectivity. The iTouch is very powerful, has a bright 4" Retina-class display, and should be good for about three years of software upgrades, etc. No one's using a 7" Nexus as a phone in the sense that it is always with them. Despite what anyone has to say, a 7" tablet is not universally portable.

The pocketable iPod Touch is Apple's trojan horse low-cost (in the sense of being cellular contract-free) iPhone strategy, IMHO. 

post #27 of 64
I have been following this sites for years, and finally decided to post something because I think it would make sense.

Why iPad mini would be a logic evolution? I see two versions of this product.

1. 'Cheap' version with non retina display
Name: iReader
For who: people who read a lot, and uses kindle style machines. Students, commuters...
Price: $129 or below
Benefit: grab this market of readers, and create hallow effect . Also provide much better reading experience than other readers.
Features: super thin, lighter (can hold without problem), limited iOS, very very long battery life.

2. Mini iPad as leaked, with full features of new iPad.
Name: iPad mini
For who: pros, people who bought the RMB.
Price: $700
Benefit: the roll Royce of smaller size tablets.

I did not explain in too much details my reasoning, on order to make this first post simple.

This is my first post, so go easy on me... But tell me what you think.
post #28 of 64

An impressively coherent first post. Don't see many of those anymore. Two questions, though.

Originally Posted by sebmez View Post
Name: iReader
For who: people who read a lot, and uses kindle style machines. Students, commuters...
Price: $129 or below

Why? That doesn't feel like Apple.

Name: iPad mini
Price: $700

Not even Apple could spin such a device as having that sort of worth.

post #29 of 64

How many people use iPad to simply read? I think not that many. Plus, I think apple is all about the experience. Give the kindle type user a much better experience, and a quality product, which I am sure Apple can manufacture for a very competitive price... You fill up a gap and create another hallow effect. I am not clear myself on the limitation of the iOS of such a device.

I think they did it with the RMB... And before, they also did it with the new iPad (I remember all the talking about such a display being impossible to put on an iPad).
post #30 of 64
How many people use iPad to simply read? I think not that many.

So why create a device specifically for reading? But the number's bigger I think either of us imagine.

Give the kindle type user a much better experience, and a quality product, which I am sure Apple can manufacture for a very competitive price...

They've already given them a better experience in the iPad. $129 is an impossible price.

I think they did it with the RMB...

The retina MacBook Pro is NOT overpriced for what it gives. People won't pay more just because you tell them it costs more.

post #31 of 64
Quote:

How many people use iPad to simply read? I think not that many. Plus, I think apple is all about the experience. Give the kindle type user a much better experience, and a quality product, which I am sure Apple can manufacture for a very competitive price... You fill up a gap and create another hallow effect. I am not clear myself on the limitation of the iOS of such a device.
I think they did it with the RMB... And before, they also did it with the new iPad (I remember all the talking about such a display being impossible to put on an iPad).

RMB was replacing an existing model at the same price. A smaller iPad at an even higher price than the current high end iPad, I don't know if that will work.

I don't know if Apple would make a single-purpose ereader. Maybe when eInk is made without the inversion flash.
Edited by JeffDM - 10/3/12 at 8:28am
post #32 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Certainly hope that certain i(nternet) person won't be posting today.
Will it look like:

Funny when Samsung enlarged the smartphone screen where it had never been before it was called on AI everything under the sun and not innovative. Apple reduces the screen size of the tablet to the already existing available Kindle, Nexus , etc size and it is an EVENT! So laughable.
Only thing more laughable is if Apple prices it above $199
post #33 of 64
Quote:

RMB was replacing an existing model at the same price. A smaller iPad at an even higher price than the current high end iPad, I don't know if that will work.
I don't know if Apple would make a single-purpose ereader. Maybe when eInk is made without the inversion flash.

I will be happy to be wrong on the 700$ mark.
I would love apple to be able to blow my mind with an enhanced e-reader though. I know the iPad is already providing a great experience, but not for simply reading a book. Anyway, just my feeling.
post #34 of 64
Quote:

I'm just not seeing where even they can justify that.

Quote:
I would love apple to be able to blow my mind with an enhanced e-reader though. I know the iPad is already providing a great experience, but not for simply reading a book. Anyway, just my feeling.

There is a place in the market for the eink tablet, but that doesn't mean Apple will offer one.
post #35 of 64
Quote:

I'm just not seeing where even they can justify that.
There is a place in the market for the eink tablet, but that doesn't mean Apple will offer one.

If Apple offers E-ink I will buy.
post #36 of 64
Quote:

I don't see how they can charge more for a product that has less features 'as-leaked'. You're saying people would pay a $50+ premium over a base new iPad, or a few hundred over a base iPad 2 just for form-factor?

post #37 of 64
Quote:

Apple has a $399 iPad. Are you suggesting it would sit along side it or replace it?

Someone mentioned the $299 Touch, but that's 32GB. Offer a $299 iPad "mini" with 16GB and for all I know, I might buy a second tablet.
post #38 of 64

If the iPad Mini is a premium product with retina and an A6, then I think it will sit at $400.

It would make for some very interesting data if customers had to choose between last year's tech at 9.7" and this year's tech at 7.85".

What better way to gauge demand?

post #39 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

If the iPad Mini is a premium product with retina and an A6, then I think it will sit at $400.

It would make for some very interesting data if customers had to choose between last year's tech at 9.7" and this year's tech at 7.85".

What better way to gauge demand?

the 9.7 still has the extra real estate and the GPU horsepower. maybe a new 9.7 with a6 and lightning will be released too.

for me, it makes sense. the ipod touch..i can't understand that price point.

post #40 of 64
Quote:

Apple has a $399 iPad. Are you suggesting it would sit along side it or replace it?

Does it really matter what they do with the old iPads?  Not to me.  They're the wrong size.  When the original came out I could not justify one because it would be redundant to my laptop.  I'm not alone in this point of view.  There will be a market for the mini no matter what they do with the big iPad.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple now building 'iPad mini,' WSJ says