or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple now building 'iPad mini,' WSJ says

Apple now building 'iPad mini,' WSJ says - Page 2

post #41 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Apple reduces the screen size of the tablet to the already existing available Kindle, Nexus , etc size and it is an EVENT! So laughable.
Only thing more laughable is if Apple prices it above $199

Apple will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #42 of 64
I want portable and that means a smaller size. I already bought my fully loaded iPad so "cheaper" isn't an issue.

I'd like some extra real-estate for viewing than my iPhone 5 offers at various points when traveling but not to the point I feel the need to carry my full size iPad's weight.
post #43 of 64
Originally Posted by duggram View Post
There will be a market for the mini no matter what they do with the big iPad.

I don't buy that.

Is there also a market for a 2.5" iPhone with no data and no or fewer apps just because the current iPhone is too expensive and the "old iPhones don't matter"?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #44 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

i believe that it will be a 399 (and up) model.

apple will make the perfect 7 or 8 inch tablet for those that really want one.. they won't make a cheap tablet for those that want "cheap cheap cheap".

that isn't apple's market. you guys are delusional if you think that this will be cheap with less quality.

apple is about quality 399, retina, a6, 1gb ram, 7h battery instead of 10 and that's it. maybe 4g (499), maybe not.

I agree on the $399 price point. And I still think this is not an iPod touch replacement (as some here are saying because they just can't accept the idea that 9.7" might not be the one-and-only-perfect-size-because-that's-what-Steve-said iPad). I think this will replace the iPad 2. And it might have the iPad 2's resolution in the smaller package (easier to scale apps that use that resolution). Would Apple try to market a 7.8" screen with iPad 2 resolution as a "Retina display"? Maybe. Throw in an A6 with only 2 graphics cores instead of the 3 the iPad has, possibly bump the RAM down a bit (not needed for the lower resolution graphics) and clock the CPU under the iPad as well (those iPad A6s that don't pass muster for the iPad will be used for the iPad mini). Oh, and it will just be called iPad. Just like MacBook Air, iMac, etc. Just the name, no numbers or descriptors of the relative size. As long as it at least has all of the iPad 2's capabilities, I'll take one.
post #45 of 64
I would assume it will have the same spec as iPod Touch 5th gen. only in a bigger size plus optional Cellular. Who's with me?
post #46 of 64
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post
I would assume it will have the same spec as iPod Touch 5th gen. only in a bigger size plus optional Cellular. Who's with me?

Price?

post #47 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

I'm not. First, to add the cellular, you are going to need more RAM and probably more CPU. Second, what OS and apps will it run? Yeah, yeah, it's all iOS, but look at the UI differences. Contacts, Calendar, Mail, etc. The iPad versions have much more complex UIs which may require more CPU and more GPU power. Does anyone really think they are going to scale up the iPhone/touch versions of these apps? Would the create a 3rd version of all these apps for the new screen size? Or would they use the iPad versions? I think this last option is by far the most viable option. This all leads to this being much more an iPad than an iPod touch, and therefore it would be spec'd more closely to the iPad than to the touch.
post #48 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Price?

I don't see the problem with price..

If Apple is serious about making only premium products (the best on each category), a new 7inch iPad with retina, a6 (the thing overclocks and underclocks itself, it's awesome), 1gb ram and less battery life (due to size) and maybe less GPU power (the 9.7 is a huge beast) with a possible 4g version (at the same price as the entry level 9.7 non-4g, like they do with computers).

They can also update the 9.7 with a6 and lightning at the same event.

In my opinion, this is the "apple" way of doing things, and 120billion dollars are saying that apple's way is the best way.

399 baby.. those that want a 7 inch because they think that it means "cheap cheap cheap" can buy an ipad 2 in 2013 or go android/windows.

399 7 inch ipad (the best 7 inch in the market, 499 for 4g), 499 9.7 inch version with a6 and lightning.

that's it, perfect strategy. everything makes sense.

Google, microsoft, samsung, dell, hp, moto, htc and sony are the ones targeting the cheap, "not that bad" market.. let they keep it. Apple's brand as huge value and meaning.. the others?not so much.

post #49 of 64
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post
I don't see the problem with price..

Well, there's none there, for starters. I'd like to know what he thinks a machine like that would cost.

…120billion dollars are saying that apple's way is the best way.

Can't use the past to excuse the future.

post #50 of 64
I love apple but I'm tired of being screwed. If they come out with a mini it better have a great camera that takes great pictures and 1080p video.

I hope they don't string us along like the iPad...Year 1-no camera.....Year 2- crappy camera...Year 3- great camera. I'm not falling for it this time.
post #51 of 64
It sure seems like there will be and yet it just doesn't add up. Why a $299 Touch and this device. Strange.
post #52 of 64
U
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbol View Post

I love apple but I'm tired of being screwed. If they come out with a mini it better have a great camera that takes great pictures and 1080p video.
I hope they don't string us along like the iPad...Year 1-no camera.....Year 2- crappy camera...Year 3- great camera. I'm not falling for it this time.
It will be a future proof device with a built in Hasselblad. You won't get screwed again.
post #53 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

It sure seems like there will be and yet it just doesn't add up. Why a $299 Touch and this device. Strange.

There is about 5x as much screen real estate. It seems not too far off from when people asked "Why the iPhone/Touch and iPad?"

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #54 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

I understand concerns about the high iPod Touch pricing, however, I think Apple's pricing rationale is that current and potential iTouch users will see the latest model as a viable alternative to an iPhone, complete with AirPlay, iMessage, gaming and everything else the App Store has to offer.

More and more, a lotta people, especially teens, are very adept at getting by without cellular connectivity. The iTouch is very powerful, has a bright 4" Retina-class display, and should be good for about three years of software upgrades, etc. No one's using a 7" Nexus as a phone in the sense that it is always with them. Despite what anyone has to say, a 7" tablet is not universally portable.

The pocketable iPod Touch is Apple's trojan horse low-cost (in the sense of being cellular contract-free) iPhone strategy, IMHO. 

The previous iPod Touch had messaging and almost all of that other stuff. And it's always been a great way to get kids into the iOS ecosystem.

Yet the iPod Touch only sold about 4 million last quarter... while the iPhone sold 26 million.

I think it's clear that a "real" smartphone is a lot more popular than a connected multimedia device.

I agree that the new iPod Touch is an amazing little machine... but iPods in general are sliding down to niche status.

Plus... the iPod Touch and the iPhone are NOT equivalents... even if they look similar and run the same apps. I don't think there are many people who intend to buy an iPhone... but who settle for an iPod Touch instead.
post #55 of 64

Definitely getting one of these for my dad. He loves the iPhone, finally got used to the ins and outs of iOS, and uses it for email/web-browsing/videochats etc, but sometimes its just too small to comfortably view webpages, etc. He doesnt need a full sized iPad, but this would be perfect. Meanwhile, peopl who want a smaller/cheaper/lighter iPad are not gonna just get an iPod touch instead. They can be priced similarly, and if anything will be cannibalized it will be the iPod touch- and I doubt Apple will mind. 

Edited by Slurpy - 10/4/12 at 12:02am
post #56 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbol View Post

How exactly did Apple "trick" you, and how exactly did you "fall" for anything? Was the original iPad advertised to have a camera? I don't get it. You knew exactly what you were buying. Apple made some decisoins to be able to enter the market at a $499 pricepoint, while everyone was expecting alot more. A camera was never the primary consideration, but started being included and improved because, what the hell, why not? There was nothing to 'fall for', Apple didn't' 'screw' you, enough with the sensationalism. Noone forced you to buy the iPad if having a great camera was an important consideration for you. 

post #57 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

It's not strange at all. There's very little overlap between the devices. Someone in the market for a pocketable iPod touch is not gonna get an iPad mini instead- and vice versa. They're different product categories, and each has their strengths. One is not objectively better than the other. For working out, playing music, the gym, etc I'm not gonna want an iPad. 

post #58 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Apple reduces the screen size of the tablet to the already existing available Kindle, Nexus , etc size and it is an EVENT! So laughable.
Only thing more laughable is if Apple prices it above $199

You're missing the point of what Apple is all about: software. They make whatever hardware needs to be made for the software to work. Watch AllThingD were Steve explains this.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #59 of 64

Does anyone really think it will be called the iPad mini? The only place 'mini' is still used anywhere by Apple is Mac mini. iPad nano seems more likely. Also, remember who the Mac mini is really targeting: Windows switchers and people looking for a 2nd/3rd machine, etc. It's a gateway into the ecosystem. 

I'm not sure why Apple doesn't take this approach with the iPod touch as it seems to serve the same purpose for introducing people to iOS (or at least the "iPhone" form factor). I would be surprised if Apple makes more off of an iPod touch over 2 years than it does on an iPhone (Thinking about recurring revenue here).  Then again, most iPod touch sales are probably going to kids anyway, so that's one possible explanation.  

Edited by CMF - 10/4/12 at 8:52am
post #60 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Certainly hope that certain i(nternet) person won't be posting today.
Will it look like:

nope. it won't be thicker than the ipad 2 or ipad (3rd Gen). lightning connector. no SD slot (Apple doesn't believe in user expandable memory) etc. 

That is if it's real, which I'm thinking no. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #61 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Curious on everyone's take. Do you think there will be an iPad Mini this month?
I think no, but I hope there is. The $299 iPod touch (that still has to be released this month)- pretty much killed the idea for me.

I do not. I think that the iPad mini is this year's teardrop. In my view a 46 Inch, slim form, retina quality, 3d capable Cinema Display with both thunderbolt and HDMI and a VESA mount adapter in the box for wall hanging (another rumor going around under the name "The Real Apple TV") is more likely than the iPad Mini. If these parts that are being seen are part of an iPad it is more likely the prototype for the iPad 4th Gen for next Feb/March

post #62 of 64

AppleInsider: "Apple now building 'iPad mini', WSJ says"

Me:  Whatever.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #63 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by duggram View Post

Does it really matter what they do with the old iPads?  Not to me.  They're the wrong size.  When the original came out I could not justify one because it would be redundant to my laptop.  I'm not alone in this point of view.  There will be a market for the mini no matter what they do with the big iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't buy that.

Is there also a market for a 2.5" iPhone with no data and no or fewer apps just because the current iPhone is too expensive and the "old iPhones don't matter"?

This is what happens when you take a guy's post and only quote 1/5 of it Tallest.

You're analogy is a ridiculous one, whereas a Nexus 7-sized iPad has actual potential.  My wife, for example, has said she would want one because the iPad is too big for her purse, but she could just throw that in there and be on her way.  I also feel the same way as duggram- I'm Apple's dream.  I'm the idiot that buys the newest version of everything (every year I get the new iPhone, Apple TV, MacBook Air, and every other year I get two new iMacs).  Yes... I'm an idiot- I admit it.  I got the iPad 2, and didn't care about the iPad 3, and likely won't about the iPad 4.  I use the iPad for one reason- watching movies on airplanes or in hotels when I travel 6x a year.  That's it- because I'd prefer using my MacBook Air at home.  So duggram is correct "I'm not alone in this point of view".  There are a hundred people on this tiny tiny tiny forum (in comparison to Apple consumers) who have said they would purchase it.  If you don't think the iPad mini would sell like hotcakes- you're nuts.

That being said- I think with their idiocy of the iPod Touch pricing- they might have priced themselves out of the market @ $399 for this thing.  But I'd wager it would still be successful, just not as successful as it could have been at $299.  (People need to wake up- if it comes out- it won't be $249 or $299.)  They are releasing the new touch THIS MONTH at $299.  They researched, designed, and manufactured them.  Who in their right mind would buy a touch when they could get a mini for cheaper or the same price?  No one- that's why there likely won't be an iPad mini- and if there is, it will be $399 (twice the price as the other 7-8" tablets).  Ouch.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #64 of 64
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
This is what happens when you take a guy's post and only quote 1/5 of it Tallest.

It's more what happens when he starts weighing the future in terms of the past. "Not enough size difference between it and my laptop" is as shaky an argument as you can get. The iPad is meant to supplant laptops, not compliment them.

You're analogy is a ridiculous one…

So it's only ridiculous because of your subjective notion of usability. Thanks for clarifying.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple now building 'iPad mini,' WSJ says