or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Purported 'iPad mini' headphone jacks appear online
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purported 'iPad mini' headphone jacks appear online

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
With production of Apple's new, smaller iPad believed to now be underway, alleged parts continue to surface, with claimed headphone jacks and flex cables being the latest leak.

Headphone


The new parts, highlighted on Thursday by Nowhereelse.fr, were discovered at an online parts reseller. The headphone jacks are shown in both black and white, which once again suggests Apple's so-called "iPad mini" will be available in two colors at launch, just like the iPhone and full-sized iPad.

While rumors of an iPad mini debuting this month have persisted for months, most of the physical evidence came in the form of device mockups rather than actual hardware components. That's changed this week, as a number of new components have leaked online.

Most notably, a collection of parts were revealed on Tuesday showing the device's alleged back panel, complete with a micro-SIM tray for cellular data, as well as an LCD display and white front panel. The back of the device also featured the Apple logo and the name "iPad" without "mini" or some other modifier.

Headphone


The timing of the component leaks is likely related to the fact that mass production of the device is said to be underway. The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday that Apple's component suppliers in Asia have initiated production of the device, which is expected to feature a 7.85-inch display that will be smaller and at a lower resolution than the current full-size iPad.

The parts that have leaked also suggest the new iPad will feature a smaller bezel on the sides, likely making it easier to hold with one hand. At the top of the front panel is space for a FaceTime camera, while the bottom of the device features a spot for Apple's traditional iOS home button.

The leaked back panel that surfaced online this week suggests that the iPad mini will feature the headphone jack at the top of the device, much like with the current iPad design. That's noteworthy because Apple opted to move the headphone jack to the bottom of the device with the new iPhone 5.

The smaller iPad has also been shown to feature Apple's new Lightning connector that debuted on the iPhone 5, and will also be featured on the latest iPod nano and iPod touch models.
post #2 of 15
Because the ipad is frequently 'stood up' on a table, the headphone jack cannot be at the bottom. This is different than an iphone, which is held in the hand.
The truth will set you free.
Reply
The truth will set you free.
Reply
post #3 of 15

As rumoured, this device would make a great data acquisition and control device and data display. I think that the art has advanced considerably since Steve debuted the first iPad (which I still use every day) and that there is room for the form factor. I'm looking forward to holding one.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by montefuego View Post

Because the ipad is frequently 'stood up' on a table, the headphone jack cannot be at the bottom. This is different than an iphone, which is held in the hand.

 

I think it's resting on laps and chests which is the reason. Usually when used on a tablet like you are describing it's without headphones.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #5 of 15

This is wholly different from what we saw before. Remember that large twisty ribbon cable with Lightning and 3.5mm at the bottom? 

Looks like this 3.5mm is at the TOP, like on the proper iPad.

 

So that ribbon cable looks like it was for the iPod touch, like I said.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #6 of 15

Some website is reporting they have a booger from Jon Ives as he was designing the thinner bezel for iPad mini.

post #7 of 15
Micro-SIM as stated in the thread, or is it nano-SIM?
post #8 of 15

This is the third, completely believeable and yet completely different from each other set of "iPad mini cables" that have been leaked.  

Other than the lateness of the hour there is no reason to think that these are real and the others are not (or vice versa).  

post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Looks like this 3.5mm is at the TOP, like on the proper iPad.

 

You obviously don't know what you are talking about.  The proper iPad hasn't even been officially announced yet.  But hold on because it's been rumored that it will be announced this month.  Then you'll get a chance to see the real deal.

post #10 of 15
Originally Posted by duggram View Post
You obviously don't know what you are talking about.  The proper iPad hasn't even been officially announced yet.

 

The proper iPad came out two years ago. You obviously don't have a clue what parts I'm talking about.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by montefuego View Post

Because the ipad is frequently 'stood up' on a table, the headphone jack cannot be at the bottom. This is different than an iphone, which is held in the hand.

There is no top or bottom with an iPad since the display rotates to all 4 views.

But I still don't buy these rumors, especially for something that is supposed to be announced in the next two weeks. We would have seen way way more stuff by now

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott523 View Post

Micro-SIM as stated in the thread, or is it nano-SIM?

It does seem odd that they would be making a smaller unit and not go for the smaller sim card and connector. Especially since both are public now

Heck why not save more space and have no jack. Really screw folks and force them to buy new Bluetooth headphones.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #13 of 15
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
There is no top or bottom with an iPad since the display rotates to all 4 views.

 

The Home Button shoots that idea in the foot.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

The proper iPad came out two years ago. You obviously don't have a clue what parts I'm talking about.


I wasn't referring to the headphone port.  I was referring to the concept of a proper iPad.  What would you say if the Mini sold at a faster pace than the old design? 

post #15 of 15
Originally Posted by duggram View Post
What would you say if the Mini sold at a faster pace than the old design? 

 

That if people think they want less usable, less functional, less powerful devices, more power to them.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Purported 'iPad mini' headphone jacks appear online