or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Debates: Three President/One VP

The Debates: Three President/One VP

post #1 of 239

I have to admit I was shocked, SHOCKED at how poorly Obama did in the debates last night.

Having watched Romney debate throughout the Republican Primary I have to say this was easily the best I've ever seen him perform in a debate. After the debates CBS News even rated Obama's claim of $5 trillion in tax cuts from Romney to be mostly false.

It was a horrifying night for Obama and they've got to be even more terrified because next comes Biden vs Ryan.

The clarifying zinger of the night for Romney had to be "trickle-down government." The government is the richest entity out there in terms of pure dollars being collected and spent and the number of bad decisions being made by it and the number of people getting hurt keep growing ever more.

One thing I would like to see them bring up is the new school lunch standards as an issue. It would be a perfect metaphor for bringing up health care. If one size fits all doesn't work for your kids lunch, how can it work for something as complicated as your health care. I think it would be a perfect debate tactic.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #2 of 239

I couldn't stay up last night, but as I type this I have just watched the entire debate. 

My thoughts are that Obama came off as serious and wanting to make his policies known, whilst pointing out that Romney's avoiding significant details. That worked, and what it did was amplify the shallowness of Romney's campaign. You can't win an election if you hide from the American people what you want to do. At this stage in the campaign Romney's running out of time. I understand that he's a supporter of the Ryan Plan which is deeply unpopular, and therefore doesn't want to explain those positions and I understand that he doesn't want to explain his positions which are unpopular with those who support The Ryan Plan. That much hiding doesn't go unnoticed.

In the scheme of things Obama's less rhetorical language is where he will gain the most. The pundits might say he needs to inspire the people more, but he's already done that. Now it's time for him to focus on what he can accomplish over the next four years.

My summary-

Romney- High on rhetoric and confidence (although it is a brittle confidence, only maintained by running scared) but critically failing to explain his positions.

Obama- Clear, honest and factual.  He laid out his achievements and goals. The more this goes on, the more Americans will see how Obama is transparent, and Romney's got a lot to hide.

We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #3 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

You can't win an election if you hide from the American people what you want to do.

Now that's downright hilarious (and naive) with a dash of wishful thinking mixed in. Are you serious?! This is especially humorous coming from a person that supports a person who got elected primarily based on merely the idea of "hope and change."

Quote:

...the Ryan Plan which is deeply unpopular...

Do you have anything to support this claim?

Quote:

Obama- Clear, honest and factual.  He laid out his achievements and goals. The more this goes on, the more Americans will see how Obama is transparent, and Romney's got a lot to hide.

Yes. Obama is transparent. Right. Sure he islol.gif

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #4 of 239

Libertarian Party Presidential Candidate Gary Johnson’s Statement on the Debate

Quote:
We didn’t see a debate tonight. We saw two slightly differing versions of defending the Republican and Democrat status quo that has given us war after war after war, a $16 trillion debt, and a government that is the answer to everything.

Nowhere was there a real plan for reducing government, balancing the budget any time in the foreseeable future, or a path that will actually put Americans back to work.

We heard two politicians arguing over which of their plans for government-run health care is less bad. We heard fantasies about balancing the budget while not reducing Medicare costs.

Barack Obama and Mitt Romney are nibbling around the edges of the nation’s problems. We don’t have time to nibble — we need to devour them.

Americans deserve real debates and a voice who will actually tell the truth about what it will take to put this great nation back on track.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #5 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Libertarian Party Presidential Candidate Gary Johnson’s Statement on the Debate

Quote:
We didn’t see a debate tonight. We saw two slightly differing versions of defending the Republican and Democrat status quo that has given us war after war after war, a $16 trillion debt, and a government that is the answer to everything.

Nowhere was there a real plan for reducing government, balancing the budget any time in the foreseeable future, or a path that will actually put Americans back to work.

We heard two politicians arguing over which of their plans for government-run health care is less bad. We heard fantasies about balancing the budget while not reducing Medicare costs.

Barack Obama and Mitt Romney are nibbling around the edges of the nation’s problems. We don’t have time to nibble — we need to devour them.

Americans deserve real debates and a voice who will actually tell the truth about what it will take to put this great nation back on track.

Dear Gary Johnson,

I understand what you say and fully support where you are coming from with regard to the numbers adding up and how the status quo wants to nibble at the edges. However the reality is that a solid 47% declares even that nibbling to be akin to murdering old people and children. They declare we are destroying the planet and harming all of humanity the second a single cent is changed in terms of allocation or reduced in allotment.

Those people need to see something that can get them past their fears and perhaps then they will endorse the types of solutions you promote. Can someone lose weight better if they have an entire coaching staff, are isolated from life events and get to devote their entire day to their health? Sure but most people don't have that option. Most people have to start by taking the cheese off their hamburger, adding a glass or two of water in place of a soda or beer and by walking three to four times a week.

Do those minor changes actually lead to optimal health? No they don't in my opinion but if it helps them get the first ten pounds off, they might be ready for a second step after that and they won't declare that they can't tolerate in change in diet or exercise. 

post #6 of 239

Trumpt:

Imagine you are in a car speeding straight towards the edge of a cliff. At your current rate of speed of 90 mph, you will reach the edge of the cliff in 30 seconds.

What would you do to avoid plummeting to your death?

a) reduce your speed to 75 mph, maintaining the same direction and claiming it is better than remaining at 90 mph and is a good first step towards not crashing and burning someday

b) slam on the bakes and change direction

c) accelerate

We don't have time to play games anymore.

post #7 of 239
Quote:

Trumpt:

Imagine you are in a car speeding straight towards the edge of a cliff. At your current rate of speed of 90 mph, you will reach the edge of the cliff in 30 seconds.

a) reduce your speed to 75 mph, maintaining the same direction and claiming it is better than remaining at 90 mph and is a good first step towards not crashing and burning someday

c) accelerate

The problem with your analogy is you assume you are the person driving the car. If that were the case then there would be no problem. I know what I would do. I know how I handle my personal finances. I know how I would act in that scenario.

The problem is that other people are driving the car and then believe touching the break pedal will make them die. They believe accelerating might somehow save them. If I can get them to stop accelerating and perhaps can pull the steering wheel a bit to the right, that might be my best chance.

Of course that isn't much of a chance and it isn't as good as if I could somehow force them to do what I want but given the fact that the car isn't being driven by just me, it's the best shot. It does indeed reflect a pretty terrible set of odds. I'm not exactly an optimist in that regard as you must surely be aware of by now. You bet your ass that I feel like I'm talking someone off a ledge who happens to be holding onto my leg while they are wanting to jump.

post #8 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Quote:

Trumpt:

c) accelerate

The problem with your analogy is you assume you are the person driving the car. If that were the case then there would be no problem. I know what I would do. I know how I handle my personal finances. I know how I would act in that scenario.

The problem is that other people are driving the car and then believe touching the break pedal will make them die. They believe accelerating might somehow save them. If I can get them to stop accelerating and perhaps can pull the steering wheel a bit to the right, that might be my best chance.

Of course that isn't much of a chance and it isn't as good as if I could somehow force them to do what I want but given the fact that the car isn't being driven by just me, it's the best shot. It does indeed reflect a pretty terrible set of odds. I'm not exactly an optimist in that regard as you must surely be aware of by now. You bet your ass that I feel like I'm talking someone off a ledge who happens to be holding onto my leg while they are wanting to jump.

It really depends on your speed, takeoff angle, and distance to the other side of the canyon. Acceleration may be indicated....

post #9 of 239

And some folks think hitting the self-destruct button will stop the car most effectively.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #10 of 239

And some folks think certain actions are the equivalent of "hitting the self-destruct" button.

post #11 of 239

Someone's a liar after the last debate...

Truth hurts.

post #12 of 239
Quote:

Someone's a liar after the last debate...

Truth hurts.

Great cartoon.  The simple fact is that politicians are going to stretch the truth as much as possible.  This goes for both Republicans and Democrats.  However, somewhere under all of that stretching and bending are the facts that we should be looking at and judging objectively as much as possible.  I don't blame a dog for being a dog.  I understand that I'm going to occasionally have to deal with pee on the floor, something getting chewed on, or a whole in the backyard.  It's the nature of the dog in question that is what's important.  This would be the conservative vs. liberal debate in our country currently.  The United States is still a right leaning country and hopefully this election will reflect that in the end.

Personally, I think the Dems should keep up with the "Liar, liar pants on fire" argument.  It makes them look petty and petulant, which I think only benefits Mitt Romney.  Now we just need to have a solid performance by Ryan on Thursday (which I expect), and hopefully more great performances by Romney in the next two debates. 

post #13 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Great cartoon.  The simple fact is that politicians are going to stretch the truth as much as possible.  This goes for both Republicans and Democrats.  However, somewhere under all of that stretching and bending are the facts that we should be looking at and judging objectively as much as possible.  I don't blame a dog for being a dog.  I understand that I'm going to occasionally have to deal with pee on the floor, something getting chewed on, or a whole in the backyard.  It's the nature of the dog in question that is what's important.  This would be the conservative vs. liberal debate in our country currently.  The United States is still a right leaning country and hopefully this election will reflect that in the end.

Personally, I think the Dems should keep up with the "Liar, liar pants on fire" argument.  It makes them look petty and petulant, which I think only benefits Mitt Romney.  Now we just need to have a solid performance by Ryan on Thursday (which I expect), and hopefully more great performances by Romney in the next two debates. 

Had you been around with your insight and wonderful contributions during the primary, you would have noticed me making exactly your point to many other posters who complain that certain principled politicians never seem to get a majority of support. The reality is that making sausage is ugly and as you note, politicians acting like politicians is part of that process.

post #14 of 239

Im not shocked at all. I've been saying all along that Obama is an intellectual lightweight. Foaming at the mouth liberals always like to claim that Bush was dumb, but Obama is far dumber, and his policies have been disastrous for the USA these past four years. Is it any wonder that his school records have never been released? The truth would be very damaging.

Obama could be replaced with any actor from a TV sitcom who knows how to read a few sentences off of a teleprompter or from a script.

I look forward to seeing the foreign policy debate, Obama's world view is basically anti-American, and he is completely out of his league. 

post #15 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Im not shocked at all. I've been saying all along that Obama is an intellectual lightweight. Foaming at the mouth liberals always like to claim that Bush was dumb, but Obama is far dumber, and his policies have been disastrous for the USA these past four years. Is it any wonder that his school records have never been released? The truth would be very damaging.

Obama could be replaced with any actor from a TV sitcom who knows how to read a few sentences off of a teleprompter or from a script.

I look forward to seeing the foreign policy debate, Obama's world view is basically anti-American, and he is completely out of his league. 

I would actually LOVE to see Romney offer up that deal. 

Romney releases the past 12 years of his tax records in exchange of all of Obama's college transcripts.  :)

post #16 of 239

The Democrats should have an easier time winning the VP debate. They've managed to keep things all in the family.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #17 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The Democrats should have an easier time winning the VP debate. They've managed to keep things all in the family.
Actually seems to be much ado about nothing. Watch the debates, if the moderator is biased it will become very clear very quickly.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #18 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Actually seems to be much ado about nothing. Watch the debates, if the moderator is biased it will become very clear very quickly.

It isn't always so obvious. As an example, several Obama supporters declared that Romney had won the debate by monopolizing the clock. They said this even though he spoke 3.5 minutes less than Obama.

What they were really saying is that Romney wouldn't shut up when the moderator was trying to press his bias and make Obama's case for him. There is also the sin of omission here. If the debate is about tax returns, contraception, and gay marriage but ignores taxes, debt, joblessness and Obama's record then it may not appear biased due to the topics being chosen rather than the questions themselves.

post #19 of 239
Quote:

It isn't always so obvious. As an example, several Obama supporters declared that Romney had won the debate by monopolizing the clock. They said this even though he spoke 3.5 minutes less than Obama.

What they were really saying is that Romney wouldn't shut up when the moderator was trying to press his bias and make Obama's case for him. There is also the sin of omission here. If the debate is about tax returns, contraception, and gay marriage but ignores taxes, debt, joblessness and Obama's record then it may not appear biased due to the topics being chosen rather than the questions themselves.

Well...  The next Presidential debate is going to be on foreign policy so I wouldn't expect to see any of those topics brought up.  Based purely on recent events, I would say that this is going to be a tough on for Obama.  Regardless of what you think about the security issues and questions surrounding Bengahzi, the fact that a terrorist attack resulted in the death of one of our ambassadors and three other Americans is going to be hard to portray as anything but a huge negative.  Now, if the moderator in this particular debate avoids that issue and focuses on Romney and the past Olympic games then it will be blatantly obvious that the debate is a farce.  I'm not saying that it can't come up in the debate, but if that were to be a topic and the recent events in Libya didn't it would be a joke.

post #20 of 239
Quote:

Quote:

Well...  The next Presidential debate is going to be on foreign policy so I wouldn't expect to see any of those topics brought up.  Based purely on recent events, I would say that this is going to be a tough on for Obama.  Regardless of what you think about the security issues and questions surrounding Bengahzi, the fact that a terrorist attack resulted in the death of one of our ambassadors and three other Americans is going to be hard to portray as anything but a huge negative.  Now, if the moderator in this particular debate avoids that issue and focuses on Romney and the past Olympic games then it will be blatantly obvious that the debate is a farce.  I'm not saying that it can't come up in the debate, but if that were to be a topic and the recent events in Libya didn't it would be a joke.

Clearly it should be tough on Obama, but consider the non-coverage of the matter so far and ask yourself why that wouldn't extend to debate questions. As for the next debate, we do have the VP debate and of course one non-foreign policy debate.

One thing either the RNC, Romney or someone similar has been feeding to the press is the patterns and habits of the partisan media. Knowing the ties and prior conclusions in terms of proclaimed winners really shows a pattern.

post #21 of 239
Quote:

I would actually LOVE to see Romney offer up that deal. 

Romney releases the past 12 years of his tax records in exchange of all of Obama's college transcripts.  :)

... and birth certificate 1wink.gif

post #22 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

... and birth certificate 1wink.gif

Are you trying to make BR foam at the mouth? 1wink.gif (Woah...winks work!?)

post #23 of 239

VP debate is tonight and of course the Democratic double-standard is totally in effect.

Remember this is from the same party that declared that just because Clarence Thomas's WIFE has an opinion, he pretty much ought to recuse himself from Supreme Court cases.

Quote:

You’d think that ABC News would be arguing the same thing. This is a network, after all, that has made a reputation (as well as a fortune) by exposing conflicts of interest among politicians, judges, business leaders and others in positions of authority.

But not among journalists. That’s the line ABC News won’t cross, as our reporter Josh Peterson learned the hard way this summer, when he called the network to ask about Raddatz’s connections to Obama. ABC flacks refused to answer his questions. They hid the information from public view.

When confronted with proof by The Daily Caller months later, ABC made up facts to minimize the appearance of impropriety. A network flack named David Ford sent a statement to sympathetic liberal news outlets attacking Peterson for daring to question Raddatz’s impartiality. In his statement, Ford claimed that Obama’s attendance at the wedding didn’t mean anything, because “nearly the entire law review attended the wedding.”

Really? There were in the neighborhood of 80 members of the Harvard Law Review at the time. That’s a total of 160 people, with dates. Must have been some wedding.

When Peterson pressed Ford for just how many Harvard law students went to Raddatz’s wedding, Ford stopped answering. None of this stopped the Huffington Post, Politico or the Daily Beast from dutifully repeating Ford’s whopper with no questions asked.

So let’s see: A network that hides relevant information about one of its employees, then lies when confronted about it — that’s who you want moderating a national debate in the final weeks of a presidential campaign? Washington isn’t known for its rigorous ethics tests, but Raddatz and ABC just failed a basic one.

Will professional Republicans point this out? Keep in mind that these are the people who spend half their lives whining about liberal bias in the media, and the other half encouraging it by playing along. Remember when former Clinton staffer George Stephanopoulos opened the GOP primary debate he moderated with a bizarre string of questions about birth control — questions that just happened to dovetail with the Obama campaign’s newly-minted “war on women” theme? Do you recall the Republican debate co-hosted by MSNBC, the one with post-game analysis from Chris Matthews, Rachel Maddow and Al Sharpton? Republican campaign officials made all that possible.

The Democratic Party and MEDIA hypocrisy knows no bounds.

post #24 of 239

Should be interesting tonight.  I fully expect the liberal media to have their knives out, as Chris Matthews has said.  I expect the liberal outlets to proclaim a Biden slam dunk almost regardless of what happens.  All he has to do is avoid major gaffes or being "the crazy uncle."   

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #25 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Should be interesting tonight.  I fully expect the liberal media to have their knives out, as Chris Matthews has said.  I expect the liberal outlets to proclaim a Biden slam dunk almost regardless of what happens.  All he has to do is avoid major gaffes or being "the crazy uncle."   

One argument that I think the Dems have been making fairly effectively is the lack of specifics from the Romney/Ryan campaign.  Hopefully we will get some more specifics tonight, and then hopefully the Dems will make a mess of them as they have with Big Bird. 

post #26 of 239
Quote:

One argument that I think the Dems have been making fairly effectively is the lack of specifics from the Romney/Ryan campaign.  Hopefully we will get some more specifics tonight, and then hopefully the Dems will make a mess of them as they have with Big Bird. 

I don't think that should weigh very heavily on the typical voter. The bulleted, powerpoint type response is the best you are going to do between a different campaign trying to misconstrue your point and a moderate setting up criticisms and caricatures of your point.

I mean the only thing Obama and liberals took out of the last debate was.....BIG BIRD GONNA DIE!!!!

Why, because Mitt Romney said he would cut PBS as part of getting spending down to historic norms.

Is saying that you want to reduce spending to the historic norm less specific than saying cutting PBS. It is but when the only way the media and the opposing campaign can engage a specific is to lie, misconstrue and caricature it then you help your cause by having broader proposals.

post #27 of 239
Quote:

I expect the liberal outlets to proclaim a Biden slam dunk almost regardless of what happens.  All he has to do is avoid major gaffes or being "the crazy uncle."   

Yep. That's how they will hope to frame it, anyway.

post #28 of 239
Quote:

So then he needs to not be Biden?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #29 of 239
Quote:

If he deviates from the carefully crafted script his handlers have had him rehearse over the past week, he's toast.

post #30 of 239
I am honestly very interested in these debates. I hope to see how Ryan does under some pressure in front of an audience. We already know how Biden does... Otherwise, I do not expect to learn much of anything new.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #31 of 239

post #32 of 239
Quote:

lol.gif

post #33 of 239
Quote:

1wink.gif 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBHPvfAt5ow

post #34 of 239

An hour is this has to be the worst moderated debate I've EVER seen. Both the moderator and Biden CONTINUALLY talk over Ryan.

post #35 of 239

Biden was brilliant and didn't take prisoners whilst Ryan was clinic and removed.

Devastating to the Romney campaign. 

post #36 of 239
Quote:

Biden was brilliant and didn't take prisoners whilst Ryan was clinic and removed.

lol.gif

lol.gif

lol.gif

lol.gif

lol.gif

lol.gif

That was funny. Iran's getting ready to go nuclear and Biden's cackling and declaring troops will leave the region NO MATTER WHAT!!!

post #37 of 239
Quote:

I sincerely hope that is the left's response to this debate. It's all Obama will hear in his bubble and we'll all be better off for it.

post #38 of 239

Heh.  

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #39 of 239

The big winner in the vice presidential 'debate' was the Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Chase and the Federal Reserve etc. organized crime cartel.

As expected.

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #40 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

The big winner in the vice presidential 'debate' was the Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Chase and the Federal Reserve etc. organized crime cartel.

As expected.

It's a discussion board. Feel free to add some context and reasoning in here and there.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Debates: Three President/One VP