or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung expected to launch 'Galaxy S3 Mini' at Oct. 11 event
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung expected to launch 'Galaxy S3 Mini' at Oct. 11 event - Page 2

post #41 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why not? If you're going to have fragmentation, why not make it world-class fragmentation?
We already have several different Galaxy SIII phones. Some have 1 GB of RAM, others have 2 GB. Some have dual core processors, others have quad core. Why not add a few different sizes, as well?

Aren't there 3 different iPhones 5?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #42 of 113
They could dip it in gold and I would still tell them to shove their android powered crap up their fkin arses.
post #43 of 113

I am astounded at the "reality distortion field" that Android users use to judge and criticize Apple and iOS.

 

They remind of the mentality of being "counter-culture" simply for the sake of it, hypocritical and pointless, the tech generations equivalent of Rebel Without A Cause.

 

Hold an iPhone - any model, but especially the 4S and the 5 - next to the Samsung  - how can one claim that the Samsung is of an equivalent build?

 

Scroll, pinch, zoom, use any kind of multi touch gesture on the GSIII and iPhone - how can one claim that Android is the same as iOS in its most basic functional requirements?

 

Try to use both iOS and Android for any kind of creative or media production  - how can anyone with a shred of intelligence claim that Android is the same as iOS.

 

I can understand that Apple and its ecosystem, and UI may not be for everybody.  Personally, I find iOS to be lacking in the UI department, especially compared to Windows Phone 8 (and as a Mac user since the SE, I can't believe I'm saying this), because I loathe skeumorphic UIs.

 

Yet, personal preferences should never be reason to distort the truth.

 

And the truth is that, for many, from casual smartphone user, to professionals such as doctors and lawyers, to artists and creatives such as musicians, the iPhone remains the best and perhaps without equal.

 

And the reasons seem simple to me:

 

no one can produce the hardware with the quality and engineering, in regards to design and technology, at the Apple's price point.

Android, without a complete rewrite, can never achieve the kind of creative potential that iOS already has and is continuing to evolve and an exciting pace.

 

Android is a phone with a computer hacked onto it.  

 

iOS is an amazing computer with the capability to function as a very good phone.

post #44 of 113

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 1/22/13 at 7:04am
post #45 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Aren't there 3 different iPhones 5?

Are you really trying to equate Android fragmentation to the iPhone 5, which ONLY differs in regards to carrier, color, and memory capacity? 

 

Android fragmentation = fundamental variations amongst hardware platforms making application support and OS updating difficult, if not in some cases impossible.

 

iOS fragmentation = easy OS updatability and universal application support not just among iPhones but amongst iDevices?

 

Do you not see how illogical and irrational your claims make you seem?

 

Does that not worry you that you are so illogically and irrational attached to you "Android" that you promote false, nonsensical views?

post #46 of 113
Seems to me that Samsung is hedging its bets. Perhaps they fear that Apple is on to something with a 4 inch phone, despite the trend in the direction of much larger phones. So they want to make sure that the cover that gap in their device offerings for their flagship phone.
post #47 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Aren't there 3 different iPhones 5?

That's a silly question.

Yes, the iPhone 5 comes in different versions for different carriers, just like the SIII. That is essential until they can get one chip set that will work for all carriers. In addition, the iPhone comes in black and white - just like the SIII. Color, of course, can be readily distinguished so there's no risk of confusion.

IN ADDITION TO those differences, the SIII comes with different processors, depending on which one you buy. It also comes with different amounts of RAM, depending on which one you buy. You can't simply tell at a glance which one you have. And if this rumor is true, they will also have different sizes with the same designation - which is REALLY going to create confusion.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #48 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post

Seems to me that Samsung is hedging its bets. Perhaps they fear that Apple is on to something with a 4 inch phone, despite the trend in the direction of much larger phones. So they want to make sure that the cover that gap in their device offerings for their flagship phone.

I couldn't agree with you more.

post #49 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Everyday. Everyone copies Apple- life didn't exist before Apple. lol.gif
Makes you wonder...
post #50 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

In other news, they have a commercial ready that shows how the screen perfectly fits the span of someone's right thumb. Another ad asks rhetorically how something smaller can get bigger.
Good one!
post #51 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post


Funny I feel the exact same way about an iPad mini too.

 

 

Except an iPad mini would be the competition's worst nightmare in the tablet space.

post #52 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

Sure it's still android garbage, but it's for sure a step in the right direction.

 

The Galaxy SIII has no where else to go in terms of screen size.

Nonsense.  They don't yet have a version for people who like the look of holding a license plate up to their head.

post #53 of 113
Originally Posted by quinney View Post
Nonsense.  They don't yet have a version for people who like the look of holding a license plate up to their head.

 

Galaxy Note II is set to fix that, I think.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #54 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Oddly enough, you'd have to ask Apple:

 

“They suggest that they have a lesser solution, but that is simply not true."

- Apple, speaking of Samsung's claim that their Android multitouch wasn't as good as Apple's.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/09/07/awkward-apple-samsung-argue-others-multitouch-systems-fantastic-court/

Classic case of citing information out of context.

 

However, your response does take advantage of my own poor choice of words.

 

First, I'll provide the context and full text:

 

Context: "The patent case is over a European patent entitled ‘Touch event model’, which outlines the way that Apple handles accidental presses outside of an intended touch target. Think the heel of your hand hitting a button while you’re tapping something with a thumb. Apple is arguing that Samsung Galaxy devices that run Android 2.3 and higher infringe on this patent."

 

So, the article is not about the entirety of core multitouch functionality, but rather functionality of the way both OSes handle accidental presses other than where the user intended.  Apple has a patent for this in Europe and is alleging that Android and Samsung with Android 2.3 and higher infringe on this patent.

 

Thus, all arguments made for or against the infringment are narrowly tailored to be relevant to only this functionality  - accidental touch input.

 

Full Text:  

 

Samsung: "While Apple’s technology is a “very nice invention,” the technique used in Android differs from the iOS solution, argued Bas Berghuis van Woortman, one of Samsung’s lawyers. Because the Android based method is more hierarchical the system is more complex and therefore harder for developers to use, he said."

 

Apple: "“They suggest that they have a lesser solution, but that is simply not true,” said Apple’s lawyer Theo Blomme to judge Peter Blok, who presided over a team of three judges, in a response to Samsung’s claim. The technique used in Android does solve a multiple input “conflict situation” and in that way the Android software essentially does the same as Apple’s, he said."

 

So, Samsung is saying that the hierarchical structure creates a more complex method making it harder for developers to implement it.  Note well that Samsung does not talk about users actually using the device, but developers implementing the technology to allow users to use the device.

 

Apple's response directly attacks this point.  They claim that it doesn't matter how complex the method is or how difficult it is for developers to implement the technology.  The end result is that the Android approach mimics iOS to the degree where it "essentially" copies what iOS does, violating the patent.

 

Thus your quote, "They suggest that they have a lesser solution, but that is simply not true." fails to accurately and correctly convey the true meaning of the article you quoted.  I would argue that the author also missed the mark with his interpretation and title of the article.  Therefore, the article you quoted does little to support the notion that the Android, when taken as a whole, provides the same user experience as iOS.  After all, why would Google bother with Project Butter if that were true?

 

Finally, the reliance on legal argumentation in court fails to satisfy my question because I challenge anyone to compare the use of the phones side by side.  If you can't or won't do that, the article you quoted provides you with weak support for your own claims.

 

Even Samsung admitted through internal documents released during trial that the iPhone experience was better.  They directed their design and engineering staff to copy iOS, to the point where even Google told them they aped the iPhone way too much.

 

Thank you though, for the article.  Whether intentionally or not, you proved my point:  the Android reality distortion field overwhelms logic, reason, and plain old common sense.

 

next.

post #55 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

I think everyone copies each other. In fact, I can't stop thinking about Braun T3 Radio when I look at iPods or iPhones; or Braun's LEI speaker when Apple's iMac.  We'll talk when Apple comes up with something *original*.

Apple lost the GUI lawsuit against Microsoft years back; there are still Apple fanboys out there claiming that Microsoft, a legitimate licensee of Xerox's patents, stole Apple's GUI. So what's your point again?

PS. I have no doubt Samsung piggybacked on Apple's successful marketing.
Very simple concept, inspired by and straight up copying. Samsung straight up copy. "I think everyone copies each other".... Replace "copies" with inspired by and I would agree with that point.
post #56 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


You might want to reread the history on that law suit again.

 

Beat me to it.

post #57 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's a silly question.
Yes, the iPhone 5 comes in different versions for different carriers, just like the SIII. That is essential until they can get one chip set that will work for all carriers. In addition, the iPhone comes in black and white - just like the SIII. Color, of course, can be readily distinguished so there's no risk of confusion.
IN ADDITION TO those differences, the SIII comes with different processors, depending on which one you buy. It also comes with different amounts of RAM, depending on which one you buy. You can't simply tell at a glance which one you have. And if this rumor is true, they will also have different sizes with the same designation - which is REALLY going to create confusion.

Just FYI, the Galaxy S3 is the same on all US carriers (dual core with 2 gigs of RAM). It's different for international models (quad core with 1 gig) because those models don't support LTE. The dual core chip supports LTE and is all you can buy in America. That's not terribly confusing.
post #58 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual3 View Post

Are you really trying to equate Android fragmentation to the iPhone 5, which ONLY differs in regards to carrier, color, and memory capacity? 

Android fragmentation = fundamental variations amongst hardware platforms making application support and OS updating difficult, if not in some cases impossible.

iOS fragmentation = easy OS updatability and universal application support not just among iPhones but amongst iDevices?

Do you not see how illogical and irrational your claims make you seem?

Does that not worry you that you are so illogically and irrational attached to you "Android" that you promote false, nonsensical views?

Had you paid attention to what I was replying to you would know I did no such thing but you couldn't wait to spew your asinine rhetoric of what you believed I was saying. The SGS lll was being discussed and not all of Android, and yes there are 2 versions of the SGS lll because Samsung's Exynos processor doesn't play well with LTE chipsets. iOSs fragmentation is nowhere near Android's but has grown as of late and will grow more if the iPad mini is released.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #59 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Funny I feel the exact same way about an iPad mini too.

I'd call you a tool but 1) that would be a personal attack, and 2) by definition a tool has at least one useful purpose to its existence.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #60 of 113
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
…a tool has at least one useful purpose to its existence.

 

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #61 of 113
Um, this doesn't make any sense to me. I thought 4" screens were crap, and anything less than 4.8" was worthless? Hmmmm.....
post #62 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Had you paid attention to what I was replying to you would know I did no such thing but you couldn't wait to spew your asinine rhetoric of what you believed I was saying. The SGS lll was being discussed and not all of Android, and yes there are 2 versions of the SGS lll because Samsung's Exynos processor doesn't play well with LTE chipsets. iOSs fragmentation is nowhere near Android's but has grown as of late and will grow more if the iPad mini is released.

There are two distinct architectures developers have to consider but there are also GPU type and RAM quantity, too. Since when does a game maker not need to worry about such things in order to gauge performance. With the iPhone a company needs only need to buy one new iPhone to test their app throughly. With the Galaxy SIII the only that's possible is to buy the very weakest model, test well below it's limits and hope there are no other hiccups with the different CPU and GPU designs.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #63 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb View Post

 That is the world-class fragmentation, a great innovation feature that comes with iPhone5, imo.
The apps might not look as pretty but they work.

Unlike how with Android apps there are cases of an app tested with say the Kindle Fire won't work in the Galaxy Tab due to changes in the OS on each device.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #64 of 113
I suspect this is true. The reason these phones grew so large was because of the need for a marketable feature that Apple wouldn't have for awhile. That was LTE. It required a lot of room for a hot chip that required a lot of power thus a larger battery. Unless Samung stole T.A.R.D.I.S. tech from the Time Lords they (et al.) had to make a bigger phone to include LTE.

If the person isn't bright they might think that bigger is better like with their HDTV screen because they won't realise they have to carry and hold this device. They also won't realize that a bigger battery doesn't equate to a longer battery life if the components use a lot more power (see iSheldon's post in the wireless headphones thread). Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone. There are certainly people with bad eyesight, very large hands, or some atypical preference for 5" phone, but it's certainly not the norm.

Now we're on the 3rd gen LTE chips (which is also the 2nd gen Qualcomm Gobi chips). Apple moved on this at the right time. Not too soon, not too late. They get 8 hours from 4G LTE and 8 hours from 3G. This is huge! Even AnandTech stated last year that the then Phone 5 (aka, iPhone 4S) would not get LTE because the tech wasn't mature enough to put it not only a super thin phone but one from a company showed incredible value for battery life over simply being able to put a stamp on a game of Tech Spec BINGO.

Now that 3rd gen LTE with the 32nm lithography is on the market it's time to wrangle that wasted space back. I suspect we'll see plenty of extra large Android phone displays that simply get thinner — it'll be easier to best the iPhone 5 that way since it'll still be substantially more internal space — but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Samsung Galaxy S III Mini outsell its big brother.
Edited by SolipsismX - 10/4/12 at 5:53pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #65 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Had you paid attention to what I was replying to you would know I did no such thing but you couldn't wait to spew your asinine rhetoric of what you believed I was saying. The SGS lll was being discussed and not all of Android, and yes there are 2 versions of the SGS lll because Samsung's Exynos processor doesn't play well with LTE chipsets. iOSs fragmentation is nowhere near Android's but has grown as of late and will grow more if the iPad mini is released.

My apologies in so far as my comments attacked your character.

 

Personally, I find it extremely confusing to discuss the SGSIII as anything but Android, with the issue of "fragmentation" being an Android issue due to the wide variety of hardware configurations leading to application, OS, and update incompatibility.   While I accept that you *meant* to refer ONLY to the the SGSIII and not Android, the issue itself is intimately tied up within Android itself.   To try and separate the two is conceptually difficult, and to imply that I carelessly, recklessly, and/or stupidly overlooked or ignored your point could come across as pretentious and potentially offensive.  

 

But I understand:  you were defending your character, and again, I apologize.

 

While I admit that my post in question was rhetorical, and intended to be so, it can't really be as asinine as you think since you essentially agree with me when you say "iOSs fragmentation is nowhere near Android's."  

 

However, to make the point again:

 

OS fragmentation is qualitatively different than Android, including the SGSIII, to the point where describing it as such confuses the meaning of the word with the issues that surround the phenomena.

 

Apple has succeeded in offering different hardware configurations that do not suffer from fragmentation, in so far as the overwhelming majority of apps work across the various configurations, and that all supported (i.e. non-discontinued) configurations can have the OS updated.

 

Apple successfully allows for different devices to share the same underlying iOS relatively easily (compared to all other competitors) in much the same way that Mac OS X can be installed on a number of different computers, from different years, with diffrernt components, etc. 

 

Finally, whether or not Apple "fragmentation" will grow if the iPad mini is released, is presumptuous.  

Have you used an iPad mini?

 

Let's wait and see exactly what happens if/when it is released.

 

I would bet that Apple successfully avoids fragmentation if it decides to release the device.

post #66 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


The apps might not look as pretty but they work.
Unlike how with Android apps there are cases of an app tested with say the Kindle Fire won't work in the Galaxy Tab due to changes in the OS on each device.

 

I am not denying Android fragmentation.  However In Android, you have tons of applications that you could choose from, if you are having an fragmentation issue.  Luckly, my Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean did not have any fragmentation issue.

 

I would be really upset if my iPhone 5 kept showing black bars (especially if I had a white one).  Most of all, I wouldn't be able to show mine to my Android friends because it looks exactly same as iPhone 4s but uglier with black bars.

post #67 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


There are two distinct architectures developers have to consider but there are also GPU type and RAM quantity, too. Since when does a game maker not need to worry about such things in order to gauge performance. With the iPhone a company needs only need to buy one new iPhone to test their app throughly. With the Galaxy SIII the only that's possible is to buy the very weakest model, test well below it's limits and hope there are no other hiccups with the different CPU and GPU designs.

 

A great example of the different "types" of fragmentation that apply to Android and iOS.

post #68 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual3 View Post

My apologies in so far as my comments attacked your character.

Personally, I find it extremely confusing to discuss the SGSIII as anything but Android, with the issue of "fragmentation" being an Android issue due to the wide variety of hardware configurations leading to application, OS, and update incompatibility.   While I accept that you *meant* to refer ONLY to the the SGSIII and not Android, the issue itself is intimately tied up within Android itself.   To try and separate the two is conceptually difficult, and to imply that I carelessly, recklessly, and/or stupidly overlooked or ignored your point could come across as pretentious and potentially offensive.  

But I understand:  you were defending your character, and again, I apologize.

While I admit that my post in question was rhetorical, and intended to be so, it can't really be as asinine as you think since you essentially agree with me when you say "iOSs fragmentation is nowhere near Android's."  


However, to make the point again:


OS fragmentation is qualitatively different than Android, including the SGSIII, to the point where 
describing it as such confuses the meaning of the word with the issues that surround the phenomena.


Apple has succeeded in offering different hardware configurations that do not suffer from fragmentation, in so far as the overwhelming majority of apps work 
across the various configurations, and that all supported (i.e. non-discontinued) configurations can have the OS updated.


Apple successfully allows for different devices to share the same underlying iOS relatively easily (compared to all other competitors) in much the same way that Mac OS X can be installed on a number of different computers, from different years, with diffrernt components, etc. 

Finally, whether or not Apple "fragmentation" will grow if the iPad mini is released, is presumptuous.  
Have you used an iPad mini?

Let's wait and see exactly what happens if/when it is released.

I would bet that Apple successfully avoids fragmentation if it decides to release the device.

Fragmentation will be there, Apple will just handle it well.

In case anyone hasn't seen this yet it seems Samsung is impervious to nuclear fallout.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/samsung-electronics-sees-record-high-q3-earnings-2012-10-04?link=MW_latest_news

While Samsung was severely punished for copying it was also very richly rewarded.
Edited by dasanman69 - 10/4/12 at 6:10pm
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #69 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Sammy, the next "small" thing is already here: the iphone.
I guess Sammy's hedging its bets. They'll release 3", 3.5" and 4" models for the GS3.

 

Been there, done that. Samsung had 4" Galaxy version back in 2010:

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Captivate

 

Apple is, as always, 2-3 years late

 

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply
post #70 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahblade View Post


Very simple concept, inspired by and straight up copying. Samsung straight up copy. "I think everyone copies each other".... Replace "copies" with inspired by and I would agree with that point.

 

 

inspired < copied < stole

post #71 of 113
Samsung needs to stay away from imitating every single item Apple sells. They claim they are original want to protect their ideas and innovation. There is none when they do this, it's not the way to do it. They need to develop a revolutionary product of their own to be a leader or show they have any imagination or innovation. They make fun of the smaller smartphone even in their commercials, and they go and make one to try and kill the iPhone. That says it all. So many articles are always saying look what Samsung is copying now, cords, ear pods, the Mac Mini, Apple TV, the list goes on. They have always been bent on this kill Apple trend, since the first iPhone came out. They say smaller screens and phones are not good, only their huge screens on their phones are, then do this. Why not release a brand new device, or designs that are totally original, that would be cool.
post #72 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


Except an iPad mini would be the competition's worst nightmare in the tablet space.

Only if it costs$199.
post #73 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb View Post

 

I am not denying Android fragmentation...

 

I am denying it. 

 

Android has a single SDK resolution independent OS. It works with various phone sizes, tablets and even digital cameras.

 

iOS, on the other hand, is "pixel-perfect" and resolution dependent: iPhone version (3 resolutions), iPod version, iPad (2 resolutions) , Apple TV. iOS is the one with fragmentation: a nightmare for developers. 

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply
post #74 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

 

$1 Billion verdict.  I don't have to say anything else.

That's starting to look like chum change these days... http://www.cnbc.com/id/49295558

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Why not? If you're going to have fragmentation, why not make it world-class fragmentation?
We already have several different Galaxy SIII phones. Some have 1 GB of RAM, others have 2 GB. Some have dual core processors, others have quad core. Why not add a few different sizes, as well?

 

We already have several different  iphones. Some have 512MB of RAM, others have 1 GB. Some have single core processors, others have dual core. Why not add a few different sizes, as well? 

...oh yea they did that too. Your point is right, but your example fails pretty badly. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #75 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

 

I am denying it. 

 

Android has a single SDK resolution independent OS. It works with various phone sizes, tablets and even digital cameras.

 

iOS, on the other hand, is "pixel-perfect" and resolution dependent: iPhone version (3 resolutions), iPod version, iPad (2 resolutions) , Apple TV. iOS is the one with fragmentation: a nightmare for developers. 

 

Thanks for the information.  So, why members here keep saying it as an issue?  I am just curious.

post #76 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

 

I am denying it. 

 

Android has a single SDK resolution independent OS. It works with various phone sizes, tablets and even digital cameras.

 

iOS, on the other hand, is "pixel-perfect" and resolution dependent: iPhone version (3 resolutions), iPod version, iPad (2 resolutions) , Apple TV. iOS is the one with fragmentation: a nightmare for developers. 

Which is why there are so few apps in the iOS App Store and most apps are on the Android Market first then eventually migrate to iOS.

post #77 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb View Post

That's too harsh.

 

As long as the screen size is concern, Samsung had it first (the S was 4 inch).  And what Samsung copied Apple again?  If you are looking for true copies of original, find Swiss...& Braun..  (could be more).  They are the true copies of Apple, but wait... 

 

Yeah right the $1 Billion verdict.  I don't know what you have to say when the tide turns.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

 

I think everyone copies each other. In fact, I can't stop thinking about Braun T3 Radio when I look at iPods or iPhones; or Braun's LEI speaker when Apple's iMac.  We'll talk when Apple comes up with something *original*.

 

Apple lost the GUI lawsuit against Microsoft years back; there are still Apple fanboys out there claiming that Microsoft, a legitimate licensee of Xerox's patents, stole Apple's GUI. So what's your point again?

 

PS. I have no doubt Samsung piggybacked on Apple's successful marketin

 

Is there a Google Android guide book on how to post in all apple forums?  There has got to be.  I think Google has a team of 800 people in some secret location scouring the internet with some new anti-apple search algorithm finding anything that can be said about Apple and than is written in text and distributed amongst all these people.  I bet it's very intuitive too as it gives you the topic and a variety of counter points to be used.

 

So let me get this straight.  Apple's John Ive's is influenced by a designer in the 60's, and it's no secret that his designs are heavily influenced as that happens from one generation to the next, and all I hear from you people is Apple copies.  It somehow reminds you of it so much that when you see an iPod you think of it even though you probably never owned one or, I'm sure, never seen one in life.  That's what the guide book says right?

 

We are talking about influence from a past generation where there is no competition to be had with, and is an ode to timeless designs.  Samsung copies the iPhone to obviously gain success off the market leader in the same generation while in direct competition and when they are taken to court and lose, it's still Apple that is at fault. 

 

It's just so tiring to read this stuff everyday.  In the end I'd like to say who cares, it doesn't affect my life in any way, but I can't but I care for our society and it is just so full of stupidity that I am afraid for our future generations.  Why don't you all just form your own opinions for once instead of checking to see what you read elsewhere and say the same thing. 

 

To me I've owned an iPhone and I now own an android phone and I count the days that I have until I go back to ios because I loathe the android operating system.  Not because someone told me to say that but because I've experienced it and just don't prefer it. But it has widgets, and the hardware has nfc and removable batteries, and expendable memories, and ios copies android and is playing catch up and is an overpriced piece of junk and apple just hates the customers and just wants to gouge us for every penny we earn and that is why they charge us for a propriety charging cable and 100 dollars for extra memory and while in line they slip a vacuum into our back pockets without us knowing and suck out any change we have.

 

Is it possible that what android has apple doesn't care to include in ios?  Is it possible they don't feel NFC is feasible at this period in time.  Apple has never tried to cram in everything in their phones just because everyone else is doing it.  Do you really think widgets are that hard to program that apple software engineers just don't have knowledge on how to implement them and that is why ios is "lacking".  The widgets are a waste.  The only one that isn't is the toggle switches which I'd like in ios but isn't a deal breaker.  Removable batteries are a expense.  Apple doesn't require you to buy one.  Samsung gives you the option to, does that mean they are gouging you?  All I know is iPhone usually has great battery life for the size of battery used.  If your idea of good battery life is having to buy an extra than that's your option but why not look at it through fandroid eyes pretending it's apple doing that.  hmmm makes you think doesn't it.  As far as I know every iPhone comes with the new charging wire so it's not a must you buy an extra one so where is the gouging?

 

Who seems like the sheep now?  Companies with the me too attitude, and it's customers who practice the same thing that they despise others for or a company who doesn't follow the trends and it's satisfied customers who have loyalty?

 

If you prefer android good for you but stop trying to convert everyone and coming back with stupid arguments. 

 

Thanks I needed that

post #78 of 113
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
Which is why there are so few apps in the iOS App Store and most apps are on the Android Market first then eventually migrate to iOS.

 

I can't tell if this is sarcasm.


Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post
Is there a Google Android guide book on how to post in all apple forums?  There has got to be.  I think Google has a team of 800 people in some secret location scouring the internet with some new anti-apple search algorithm finding anything that can be said about Apple and than is written in text and distributed amongst all these people.  I bet it's very intuitive too as it gives you the topic and a variety of counter points to be used.

 

Oh. You noticed it, too. lol.gif

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #79 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

 

 

Is there a Google Android guide book on how to post in all apple forums?  There has got to be.  I think Google has a team of 800 people in some secret location scouring the internet with some new anti-apple search algorithm finding anything that can be said about Apple and than is written in text and distributed amongst all these people.  I bet it's very intuitive too as it gives you the topic and a variety of counter points to be used.

 

So let me get this straight.  Apple's John Ive's is influenced by a designer in the 60's, and it's no secret that his designs are heavily influenced as that happens from one generation to the next, and all I hear from you people is Apple copies.  It somehow reminds you of it so much that when you see an iPod you think of it even though you probably never owned one or, I'm sure, never seen one in life.  That's what the guide book says right?

 

We are talking about influence from a past generation where there is no competition to be had with, and is an ode to timeless designs.  Samsung copies the iPhone to obviously gain success off the market leader in the same generation while in direct competition and when they are taken to court and lose, it's still Apple that is at fault. 

 

It's just so tiring to read this stuff everyday.  In the end I'd like to say who cares, it doesn't affect my life in any way, but I can't but I care for our society and it is just so full of stupidity that I am afraid for our future generations.  Why don't you all just form your own opinions for once instead of checking to see what you read elsewhere and say the same thing. 

 

To me I've owned an iPhone and I now own an android phone and I count the days that I have until I go back to ios because I loathe the android operating system.  Not because someone told me to say that but because I've experienced it and just don't prefer it. But it has widgets, and the hardware has nfc and removable batteries, and expendable memories, and ios copies android and is playing catch up and is an overpriced piece of junk and apple just hates the customers and just wants to gouge us for every penny we earn and that is why they charge us for a propriety charging cable and 100 dollars for extra memory and while in line they slip a vacuum into our back pockets without us knowing and suck out any change we have.

 

Is it possible that what android has apple doesn't care to include in ios?  Is it possible they don't feel NFC is feasible at this period in time.  Apple has never tried to cram in everything in their phones just because everyone else is doing it.  Do you really think widgets are that hard to program that apple software engineers just don't have knowledge on how to implement them and that is why ios is "lacking".  The widgets are a waste.  The only one that isn't is the toggle switches which I'd like in ios but isn't a deal breaker.  Removable batteries are a expense.  Apple doesn't require you to buy one.  Samsung gives you the option to, does that mean they are gouging you?  All I know is iPhone usually has great battery life for the size of battery used.  If your idea of good battery life is having to buy an extra than that's your option but why not look at it through fandroid eyes pretending it's apple doing that.  hmmm makes you think doesn't it.  As far as I know every iPhone comes with the new charging wire so it's not a must you buy an extra one so where is the gouging?

 

Who seems like the sheep now?  Companies with the me too attitude, and it's customers who practice the same thing that they despise others for or a company who doesn't follow the trends and it's satisfied customers who have loyalty?

 

If you prefer android good for you but stop trying to convert everyone and coming back with stupid arguments. 

 

Thanks I needed that

 

Sorry, I made you cry.

 

As long as people are not making stupid arguments, I would just enjoy reading.  But I can not help some of blinded comments here.

post #80 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Oddly enough, you'd have to ask Apple:

 

“They suggest that they have a lesser solution, but that is simply not true."

- Apple, speaking of Samsung's claim that their Android multitouch wasn't as good as Apple's.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/09/07/awkward-apple-samsung-argue-others-multitouch-systems-fantastic-court/

It's a legal argument. Samsung was put in the odd position of arguing that it's designs couldn't have been copies since they weren't as good as Apple's. A UK judge went so far as handing Samsung a victory because their phones weren't as "cool" as the iPhone.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung expected to launch 'Galaxy S3 Mini' at Oct. 11 event