or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung expected to launch 'Galaxy S3 Mini' at Oct. 11 event
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung expected to launch 'Galaxy S3 Mini' at Oct. 11 event - Page 3

post #81 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I'd call you a tool but 1) that would be a personal attack, and 2) by definition a tool has at least one useful purpose to its existence.


Spot on! Great comment!

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #82 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

We already have several different  iphones. Some have 512MB of RAM, others have 1 GB. Some have single core processors, others have dual core. Why not add a few different sizes, as well? 

...oh yea they did that too. Your point is right, but your example fails pretty badly. 

and you expect Apple to retain the 512MB and single core processors for iPhone 5?? they were only talking about SGIII's versions and you are comparing it with iPhone's generations...

post #83 of 113

For years Samsung phone screens have gotten bigger and bigger and now they are actually decreasing the screen size. Unbelievable! If it is called "mini" anything I will LMAO. I routinely have in depth discussions (trash talk) with my brother-in-law and his militant friend (both are super fandroids) about how Apple and iOS beat android. I can't wait to throw this in their faces. 

2010 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, New iPad 64GB LTE, (2) ATV 2nd Gen

Reply

2010 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, New iPad 64GB LTE, (2) ATV 2nd Gen

Reply
post #84 of 113

Samsung just cannot stop "designing and innovating" to save their own arses.

 

http://www.cultofandroid.com/16884/att-to-play-the-guinea-pig-with-4g-samsung-galaxy-camera/

 

 

This is exactly what Apple was talking about that people want a refrigerator and a toaster but not in one device.  But if this sells, I guess it will be to the owners that have their toasters mounted into their refrigerators.

This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

post #85 of 113

Call me what ever but I think its funny how people hate on apple for how they handle the iphone but i must say apple is one of the greatest company's think about it like this everyone loved the big screens and hated the iphone 5 for the screen size but yet IT MADE SAMSUNG release THEIR older SCREEN design to compete with the iphone. I love my iPhone 5 I do...i tried android based phones and I never liked the fact the OS is plenty open for the world (not always good) I never liked the fact that they make different android phones every other week or month...and support is a nightmare between tech support from the cell phone company's to the cell phone maker. its like microsoft being on a DIFFERENT RELEASE PC ...i love how i got a phone that gets GREAT SUPPORT from one company with HARDWARE and SOFTWARE that supports each other with UPDATES...but I guess samsung really needs to catch up to apple and not the other way around because people are right samsung did have a 4 inch screen first but because the iphone 5 has one they are going backwards????? I guess apple's ideal to be behind in times so android users says makes BIG COMPANYS like samsung also agree.... s3 mini with a 5MP cam now that's a big joke and a LOW blow for all the galaxy lovers....way to go APPLE :-)
 

post #86 of 113
How can one be a copy when they've already done the 4" size? Disallusion is the only answer.

you want to talk aboutcopying just ask iphone5's increase to 4" just like its competitors. but no, apple fans won't call it copying but rather going with the trend. there was even an image comparison where the fans deemed 3.5" the perfect screensize and that apple didn't need to launch a larger size. well that shut them up quick. also, many will need to sharpen their fingers for the ipad mini no less. apple doesn't do market research? yeah okay buddy

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #87 of 113
So does this mean that the big brother is not selling well? Maybe they are falling off their hands since they are too big
post #88 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'm sorry I thought I'd logged into the Apple gadget rumor website, my bad this must be an Android site ...

 

So its better to play in a small pond and never look out over the horizon of whats cooking?

 

That's a guarantee way of killing off your own company. Knowing what competitors are doing is half the battle.

 

Seems like AI is must more aware of that than yourself, for instance...

 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/30/amazon_says_kindle_fire_takes_22_of_us_tablet_market_wont_disclose_sales

 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/24/amazon_expected_to_unveil_new_kindles_at_sept_6_media_event

 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/31/review_googles_nexus_7_tablet_with_android_41

 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/31/amazon_wont_unveil_larger_kindle_fire_next_week_report_says

 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/26/barnes-noble-introduces-9-nook-hd-touchscreen-tablet

 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/27/google-reportedly-planning-to-launch-99-nexus-7-by-end-of-2012

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #89 of 113
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

That's a guarantee way of killing off your own company. Knowing what competitors are doing is half the battle.

 

But we're not Apple. WE don't care. We're customers. And thinking that Apple doesn't know what the industry is doing (being the one to have created the modern industry in the first place) is laughable.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #90 of 113
Didn't they just release commercials saying their phone is bigger than iPhone, hence it is better... now they will make one smaller? Confusing customers is not good.
post #91 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Didn't they just release commercials saying their phone is bigger than iPhone, hence it is better... now they will make one smaller? Confusing customers is not good.


great point, infact its crazy how the android lovers bragged about how big the screen was and how small the iphone screen is but yet samsung comes back with the smaller screen and lower mp cam in THEIR high end product line talk about bigger is better? when I guess its really not. I give apple a lot of credit for the simple fact is they did not invent this stuff THEY JUST MADE IT BETTER AND EASIER and that was the WHOLE point since day one with the iphone. it was never ment to be a tech toy and hacker device although with jailbreak it makes that possible all for FREE so either way with the iphone you still get the best of both worlds. i'm sure apple will add all this "new stuff" when the market for it matures and people START TO USE IT in real world instead of "well my phone has it and yours don't" but yet not a lot of businesses USE it... just like LTE  is still a nightmare but its mature and showing with the right network it can be super fast so not apple did not copy they just made it better for users who want to buy a product out the box that just works even if it comes with bugs it still won't compare to the windows and android bugs.

post #92 of 113

So Samsung is possibly going to offer a 4" variant of their super hot selling Galaxy S3 4.8" phone.  What can you say, great for them, if it allows them to sell more and make a market for themselves so be it.  Not everyone wants iOS, not everyone wants Android, okay a few want Windows Phone and BlackBerry but pretty much everyone wants either iOS or Android.

 

Still people will buy what they want from who they want on the carrier they want.  What does it matter if Samsung offers an alternative that is the same design as their current GS3 but smaller, it may appeal to those who don't want a 4.8" screen and don't want iOS and yes they do exist.  I like many, many of us here chose iOS and the key reason for me is I plan to get 2 years or so out of my iOS device (ok, I will likely upgrade again next year) but if I choose to not get the next iPhone I WILL get iOS 7 next year when Android users are still waiting 6 months for their OS updates.  For a tech hound like me waiting is worse than anything else.

post #93 of 113
Hey all you Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note owners out there!

One word: "Suckers!"

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #94 of 113

You realize that Galaxy SIII sales are through the roof right? The SIII Mini is intended to do one thing, and that's poach iPhone customers, plain and simple. There is a market for people who want phones to be the size of phones. Samsung is simply following the money here. If offering a smaller version of your star series of phones is considered "following the leader" (Samsung of course having the larger marketshare) then what is the iPad Mini? This is just mind boggling stupid logic that some of you have.

post #95 of 113
Originally Posted by koop View Post
You realize that Galaxy SIII sales are through the roof right? The SIII Mini is intended to do one thing, and that's poach iPhone customers, plain and simple. 

 

Funny, since the big one is supposed to be the only thing that people would want in the first place.

 

There is a market for people who want phones to be the size of phones.

 

That's why the iPhone exists.

 

Samsung is simply following the money here.

 

Which publicly says that they weren't before, so there go sales of the old models.


…then what is the iPad Mini?

 

The worst possible idea for Apple right now. But we're not talking about Apple. We're talking about Samsung.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #96 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Funny, since the big one is supposed to be the only thing that people would want in the first place.

Sounds like the iPad.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #97 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by koop View Post
You realize that Galaxy SIII sales are through the roof right? The SIII Mini is intended to do one thing, and that's poach iPhone customers, plain and simple. 

 

Funny, since the big one is supposed to be the only thing that people would want in the first place.

 

There is a market for people who want phones to be the size of phones.

 

That's why the iPhone exists.

 

Samsung is simply following the money here.

 

Which publicly says that they weren't before, so there go sales of the old models.


…then what is the iPad Mini?

 

The worst possible idea for Apple right now. But we're not talking about Apple. We're talking about Samsung.


So, there was will be no iPad mini?
post #98 of 113
Originally Posted by hjb View Post
So, there was will be no iPad mini?

 

There am is are was were be a different discussion, I think. If you want to make the case that Samsung is just "finding the right size" like the netbook makers failed to do (there was no right size), that's fine. But a 7" tablet supplanting a 10" tablet? I don't think so.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #99 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

"how big small can be."
...said no man, ever.
Samsung following Apple. How original. Anyone else feeling 'deja vu?'

 

 

I think Apple actually was the company responsible for the big bang!!! They didnt apply a patent because the patent office was closed that day! Actually if I spent a few hours Googling it, I would probably discover that it was Apple that developed God!!!! Man, these copying acusations are really getting out of hand!!!

Wake up people smell the coffee... not everything is an Apple copy. Under your logic the ipad mini is just another copy of other smaller tablets out there?! Is it?!

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post 

 

$1 Billion verdict.  I don't have to say anything else.

 

 

 How come people keep forgetting that Apple lost their patent suits in Japan, Germany, UK. Apple wining the case in the US is about as surprising as Samsung wining is Korea. Hell, Apple was even forced to publish Samsung a public appology in the UK!!!

 

I can understand blind dedication to your family and friends even... but to a company!!!?? To a brand??!!!! Unless you are a shareholder (and I am sure there a many here) it's ridiculous!!!!

So many people are having what I call, near "cult" level brain farts in which reasoning and logic are completely out the window!!!!

post #100 of 113
Originally Posted by gogo2000 View Post
Wake up people smell the coffee...

 

I think you mean 'sheeple' or 'iSheep'. And no, that doesn't mean I actually want you to type it. I'd prefer you type no sentences like this at all.

 

…not everything is an Apple copy.

 

We know. … and? 

 

How come people keep forgetting that Apple lost their patent suits in Japan, Germany, UK.

 

Lost? You're sure about that?

 

Apple wining the case in the US is about as surprising as Samsung wining is Korea.

 

So… "Apple bought off the jury" is your position? You'll want to be VERY careful about your reply to that question.

 

Hell, Apple was even forced to publish Samsung a public appology in the UK!!!

 

N~o… they weren't. Unless, of course, you can link me to the apology itself. Which you can't, because that's not decided yet.

 

I can understand blind dedication to your family and friends even... but to a company!!!?? To a brand??!!!! Unless you are a shareholder (and I am sure there a many here) it's ridiculous!!!!

So many people are having what I call, near "cult" level brain farts in which reasoning and logic are completely out the window!!!!

 

And so many worthless trolling astroturfers copying and pasting the same crap across dozens of accounts, pretending they have an argument. It evens out.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #101 of 113

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 1/22/13 at 7:03am
post #102 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think you mean 'sheeple' or 'iSheep'. And no, that doesn't mean I actually want you to type it. I'd prefer you type no sentences like this at all.


We know. … and? 


Lost? You're sure about that?


So… "Apple bought off the jury" is your position? You'll want to be VERY careful about your reply to that question.


N~o… they weren't. Unless, of course, you can link me to the apology itself. Which you can't, because that's not decided yet.


And so many worthless trolling astroturfers copying and pasting the same crap across dozens of accounts, pretending they have an argument. It evens out.


Someone will come along and claim that the apology was already written. Apple has appealed the decision and a ruling may be forthcoming this month. (1)

1. Alastair Stevenson. Published 27 July 2012. Apple wins delay on Samsung apology adverts. V3. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
post #103 of 113

No the apology was not written/published. The matter is infact under appeal.

 

But… the judge was clear with his ruling and (correct me if I'm wrong) Apple appealed because… (drum roll) they lost the case!!!!  

post #104 of 113
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

post

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post
Someone will come along and claim that the apology was already written.

 

Wow. That was quick. Thiotimoline rebuttal.


Originally Posted by gogo2000 View Post

Isheep, sheeple – you are soo cute!!! Don’t forget though that sheep rarely think for themselves.  They let the sheep herder do the thinking for them.

 

… Yes, that's the point. A point you seem to have missed.


Am I sure Apple lost the patent cases in Japan, UK, Germany and Korea? Not really

 

Then don't say they have. It's pretty simple.


 Apple Inc. (AAPL) was ordered by a judge to publish a notice on its U.K. website and in British newspapers alerting people to a ruling that Samsung Electronics Co. didn’t copy designs for the iPad. “ in Bloomberg.

 

So show me on Apple's website this notice. You can't, because they haven't, because it isn't decided.


If having a life beyond Apple, thinking for yourself and criticizing what should be criticized

 

Sure, but you're NOT doing that, so. 


As for the “copying and pasting across dozens of accounts”, you are right it’s all me!!! 

 

Didn't claim it was you, but thanks for the admission. Shall I just ban this account of yours or something? lol.gif


I’m impressed you’ve read all my posts!!! Wow!!!

 

Yes, all 23. Your point?


Dude, I think you really need to stop oogling porn on your Mac (or does the Mac it self do it for you), get a life and, maybe, just maybe, in a few years you can eventually get a girl or boyfriend and get laid!!!  

 

Personal insults not infracted. You're welcome. Don't do it again.

 

Originally Posted by gogo2000 View Post
No the apology was not written/published. The matter is infact under appeal.

 

So… don't say it happened.


But… the judge was clear with his ruling and (correct me if I'm wrong) Apple appealed because… (drum roll) they lost the case!!!!  

 

Hmm. Guess what an appeal means. Guess what that original ruling means right now.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #105 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wow. That was quick. Thiotimoline rebuttal.

Oh, well. I have many posters on this forum blocked for good reason.

If I take a dog for a walk outside to take care of business I don't need to see the results; the smell is more than enough evidence.
post #106 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post

Samsung goes in the right direction by offering a palette of phones in various sizes (even within one generation of phones).


So if you like small phones you might go with S3 "mini" (or whatever the official name will be).

If you like normal sized phones you might go with S3

If you like a real beast of a phone you might go with Note 2.


I know you all know this but this is called giving customers a CHOICE to choose what they want or prefer. That is completely the opposite of Apples philosophy which sound more like:

"WE will make one phone for ALL of you because WE know what is best for you and since .... WE know you will blindly listen to us".

Except that isn't really choice as they all have the same basic feature set (or lack of):
  • Lackluster ecosystem without a rich supporting product line or a massive library of apps, books, movie, music, podcasts and TV shows
  • Low quality displays
  • No Software Updates
  • No synchronization of bookmarks, calendars, contacts, data & document, email, notes, to-do lists synchronization between Apple iOS and Apple OS X or Microsoft Windows (obviates need for SD cards)
  • Poor Battery Life
  • Poor Customer Service
  • Poor Product Durability
  • Poor Product Reliability
  • Poor Security
  • Poor User Experience (aesthetic appeal, improved standardization and uniformity; reduced latency; simplicity of design providing clear, concise visual clues about features and functions)
post #107 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post


Oh, sure, sure .... I thought you can do better than that.

You don't deserve even that much nor would you understand more.
post #108 of 113
Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post
Oh, sure, sure .... I thought you can do better than that.

 

Please explain why his points are either incorrect or not valid.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #109 of 113
Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post
LOL. First is first. Please explain why my innitial points are either incorrect or not valid ;).

 

Well, let's start with that "normal sized phone" bit. That's a crock.

 

Now the bit about Apple. It's proven false by these points that MacBook Pro listed. 

 

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post
  • Customer Service
  • Security
  • User Experience

 

People keep buying it. This is why. Apparently, as has been the case in five industries, multiple times, over the course of three decades, Apple really does know what people want before they do. 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #110 of 113
Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post

"WE will make one phone for ALL of you because WE know what is best for you"

True or False?

 

Your premise is faulty. That question can't be answered.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #111 of 113
Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post
Do you really think I would give you more attention on the ground of your (how TS would put it) crocks?

 

You've used that incorrectly.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #112 of 113
Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post
You are moving out of topic... or just being without argument ;).

 

No, I'm ignoring your lack of argument for the reasons previously stated.

 

If you look it up with OS X's dictionary, it's a noun, and it's the second definition.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #113 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post


Except that isn't really choice as they all have the same basic feature set (or lack of):
  • Lackluster ecosystem without a rich supporting product line or a massive library of apps, books, movie, music, podcasts and TV shows
  • Low quality displays
  • No Software Updates
  • No synchronization of bookmarks, calendars, contacts, data & document, email, notes, to-do lists synchronization between Apple iOS and Apple OS X or Microsoft Windows (obviates need for SD cards)
  • Poor Battery Life
  • Poor Customer Service
  • Poor Product Durability
  • Poor Product Reliability
  • Poor Security
  • Poor User Experience (aesthetic appeal, improved standardization and uniformity; reduced latency; simplicity of design providing clear, concise visual clues about features and functions)

 

Talk about broad strokes bullet points to explain an entire ecosystem of phones and services. It's hard to dignify this with a response but let me try.

  • Second Largest App Store, With Improving selections of Apps, Movies, Music, Games. Tied in with Google services like Google Music (30k songs in the cloud for free), Picasa Photo Sharing, Google Voice, Google Chrome (fantastic mobile web browser with PC synchronization). The ability replace core functions of a system like the web browser or the keyboard, or the app store itself - Free App of the Day is a great value with Amazon. 
  • A phone without Apple's retina display doesn't mean it's low quality. Today's 720p android displays are more than competent for viewing photos and information on the go. If someone told you in 2006 when the PS3 launched that phones would hit 720p in display resolution in six years you would have laughed. 
  • This is entirely dependent on the phone you buy. Have a Nexus? Good to go. Have a Motorola phone? LOL. Can you unlock the bootloader and install Cyanogenmod? Thumbs up.
  • You actually just prove an annoying flaw I have with my iPhone, which is that Safari has been abandoned on my Windows PC. Cloud tabs are useless without PC support for most people (you know 90% of the PC market?). I miss Google Chrome for that reason. And please don't tell me that crappy no-V8 Chrome skin on iOS is a solution. It's not.
  • Reviews have stated that the Droid RAZR Maxx gets better battery life than the iPhone 5. These broad strokes arguments break down with such a large phone ecosystem. 
  • I concede that point. Customer service with most Android devices are miserable. Though the carrier can take care of most problems by calling them. I used to work for VZW and they had a decent tech support system in place.
  • This really isn't true at all. I've owned three android phones, the OG Droid, Droid X, Droid Bionic and none of them required a case. The Bionic had been dropped by me countless times. The gorilla glass was stupidly strong and durable. I got the iPhone 5 but it's more like a delicate flower. It's in a case.
  • Depends on the manufacturer, this is just a really tired argument. And it's not true. 
  • LOL. Security "issues" on the android are the result of security companies peddling products nobody actually needs by releasing research reports for pcmag to pick up on it. I've owned three phones, installed multiple apps, some of them sideloaded. rooted, installed different roms. No security issues whatsoever. It's a delusional argument.
  • Again, why do I feel like you think you're saying something meaningful but it's just not really indicative of the android ecosystem as a whole? ICS and Jelly Bean are more than capable of providing users with a clear and concise OS experience. Was Android messy during the Froyo, Gingerbread days? Yeah. It's much improved. Different strokes for different folks. If it makes you feel better, I agree the iPhone has a lead in this department which is why I own one, but the gap is not nearly as wide as you're portraying it to be.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung expected to launch 'Galaxy S3 Mini' at Oct. 11 event