or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new iOS 6 Maps support automatic offline use for a wide area
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's new iOS 6 Maps support automatic offline use for a wide area - Page 3

post #81 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

Your extrapolation from that to the conclusion that, overall, Google Maps is better. There's not objective evidence to support that. In fact, much of the objective evidence I've seen show either a mixed result or the contrary.

 

As I pointed out, there are other anecdotal reports in this thread that show Google Maps often sucks, too. So, what's the valid conclusion based on anecdotal reports?

 



Apparently you are the only one having difficulties to find objective evidence to support that Gmaps has better. Every tech journalist thinks the same. There are site compiling the horrors of apple maps, why don't you make your own site compile those of gmaps?

post #82 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

 

Just to be clear - you have no evidence to back up your claims then?

 

As I have stated, the evidence is circumstantial. But, the iLost ad is pretty much a smoking gun, with Google's finger prints on it, and a confession.

post #83 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

 



Apparently you are the only one having difficulties to find objective evidence to support that Gmaps has better. Every tech journalist thinks the same. There are site compiling the horrors of apple maps, why don't you make your own site compile those of gmaps?

 

Really? I must have missed the articles that, for a random representative set of locations compared Google Maps on iOS5 to Apple Maps on iOS6 and prove this. Maybe you can post the links to them? But if they're just the typical, "Maps couldn't find my house," rant, don't bother, since that doesn't meet the criteria specified. I posted a link earlier that's representative of the type of evidence that's acceptable to support such assertions, and it show quite the opposite of what you are claiming. Why don't you go read it and come back when you can provide some links that have at least that standard of proof.

post #84 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

 

What exactly is subjective about the picture of my house being much older and much lower resolution than Google Maps version. ...

 

Your extrapolation from that to the conclusion that, overall, Google Maps is better. There's not objective evidence to support that. In fact, much of the objective evidence I've seen show either a mixed result or the contrary.

 

As I pointed out, there are other anecdotal reports in this thread that show Google Maps often sucks, too. So, what's the valid conclusion based on anecdotal reports?

As you may recall I originally only made reference to the data in Apple Maps as being old without any mention of Google. You are the one trying prop up your arguments by saying Google data is sometimes just old or erroneous. I think Apple Maps is adequate for a 1.0 release. I was only pointing out the hyperbole of your statement that Apple Maps is the embodiment of where the puck will be.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #85 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by el3ktro View Post

I can't reproduce this. I just looked at Melbourne, Australia on Apple Maps on my iPhone. A city that I've never looked at before in maps. I let Maps sit at the default zoom level on Melbourne and waited several minutes, then turned on flight mode. I wasn't able to zoom into Melbourne (maps got blurry) and I was only able to see a little bit more than the original rectangle around Melbourne when zooming out.

Yeah I just tried it and I get nothing but blurry pixels too. 

 

I tried on my iPad 2 and it works fine -- even got some 3D.

 


This what I get. This time I just turned off cellular and wifi where as last time I went into Airplane mode, but the result is the same. The i405 just disappears only a few miles from my starting point once the data connection was turned off.

 

As a side note notice the Park Place Security icon. That entire area is a huge business complex with office towers, hotels and restaurants which all known as Park Place. At least now I know they also have security.


Edited by mstone - 10/5/12 at 9:36am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #86 of 174

Meh, Google has has map caching for a while and it is pretty useless just I expect Apple's to be, my iPhone hasn't arrived yet.

From what I understand you can't execute searches in airplane mode- so it is only helps with short data service interruptions where you want to look at the directions you brought up at some previous point when you had data.

Actually getting new directions and finding places still won't work without data. And if the caching is anything like Google's it is pretty dodgy weather the map at all the appropriate zoom levels and areal and such will be cached at all.

 

Nokia manages to fit all their maps on Windows phones and Garmin and other dedicated GPS nav software manage to fit their maps on all sorts of phones. Apple is running the show with their own maps now... If and when they off real offline maps it will be something to write about, but spotty caching w/o search? Sorry I can't get excited about that.

post #87 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post


Then you are far behind in the world of tech.

Google has had vector maps for at least two years on android.

Typical "Apple did it first" when you know nothing about the subject.

 

http://googlesystem.blogspot.fr/2010/12/vector-based-google-maps-for-android.html

 

2010

Vector maps

Offline caching

 

Cache has been automatic on android for months.

http://notesofgenius.com/google-maps-offline-android/

 

Really in this case, Apple didn't invent a thing.

 

Who said anything about Apple inventing vector maps? I said they were far ahead of Google Android in regards to vector maps.

 

Quoted from AI article dated August 3, 2012: (http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/03/inside_apples_new_vector_based_maps_in_ios_6/page/3)

 

Google is also working on its own next generation Google Maps that makes use of vectors, but it has a more difficult job because it is targeting several major platforms: the web, which relies upon the experimental new MapsGL enhancements of WebGL; Android, which has a native JavaME-like platform; and its existing public API, which is rooted in how Google Maps has worked in the past. 

Apple can introduce entirely new technologies very rapidly because it only has to optimize for one platform: iOS Cocoa Touch. Apple isn't serving up a public web version of its own maps as Google does, so it isn't constrained by the limits of web-based technologies.

 

Mmmm...

 

I suspect that, at some point,Apple will make a desktop Apple Maps app -- first for the Mac, then for Windows.

 

That would bypass "lack of browser capability" issues for many people.

 

As they get the bugs worked out of iOS Apple maps it should be an easy port to OS X.  You can already run most  iOS maps apps (or any other iOS apps) on the Mac under the iOS Simulator.

 

You can interact with Apple Maps Navigation through the MapKit API... AFICT, there is no interface for 3D FlyOver, yet!.

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #88 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

 


This what I get. This time I just turned off cellular and wifi where as last time I went into Airplane mode, but the result is the same. The i405 just disappears only a few miles from my starting point once the data connection was turned off.

This has been my experience with Google Maps as well. Caching doesn't work well, even its crippled functionality is unreliable bc the 'system' decides what data it 'thinks' you need. It is nothing to get excited about. It is no substitute for offline maps, which actually can be relied on and would be cool.

post #89 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post



This what I get. This time I just turned off cellular and wifi where as last time I went into Airplane mode, but the result is the same. The i405 just disappears only a few miles from my starting point once the data connection was turned off.

Try this. Before you drive to a new, known destination setup driving instructions. After that is accomplished turn off Cellular (and WiFi). As long as you stay mostly within the selected route it should be an enjoyable experience of directions.

The one thing I haven't tried is veering off route so that the maps could not possibly have that data cached, and then driving back on the route from a different position an seeing if the directions pick back up. I'm guessing they will.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #90 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Try this. Before you drive to a new, known destination setup driving instructions. After that is accomplished turn off Cellular (and WiFi). As long as you stay mostly within the selected route it should be an enjoyable experience of directions.

The one thing I haven't tried is veering off route so that the maps could not possibly have that data cached, and then driving back on the route from a different position an seeing if the directions pick back up. I'm guessing they will.

 

"Apple's new vector maps, once loaded in San Francisco, allowed us to browse an entire continent of high level maps (state outlines) while offline, north from Anchorage, Alaska to Lima, Peru and from Honolulu, Hawaii to Montréal, Canada."

 

I am just not able to replicate this feature based on the article's description.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #91 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Try this. Before you drive to a new, known destination setup driving instructions. After that is accomplished turn off Cellular (and WiFi). As long as you stay mostly within the selected route it should be an enjoyable experience of directions.
The one thing I haven't tried is veering off route so that the maps could not possibly have that data cached, and then driving back on the route from a different position an seeing if the directions pick back up. I'm guessing they will.

That was my understanding. you must first pick a routing destination (any destination) for it to start caching the route, and associated maps. I don't think it will just blindly start downloading maps just by looking at a sector on a map. That would use unnecessary data.

iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #92 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

As you may recall I originally only made reference to the data in Apple Maps as being old without any mention of Google. You are the one trying prop up your arguments by saying Google data is sometimes just old or erroneous. I think Apple Maps is adequate for a 1.0 release. I was only pointing out the hyperbole of your statement that Apple Maps is the embodiment of where the puck will be.

 

Well, if you admit that Apple Maps is as good as Google Maps, then stop your carping. Otherwise, stop changing your story.

post #93 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

As you may recall I originally only made reference to the data in Apple Maps as being old without any mention of Google. You are the one trying prop up your arguments by saying Google data is sometimes just old or erroneous. I think Apple Maps is adequate for a 1.0 release. I was only pointing out the hyperbole of your statement that Apple Maps is the embodiment of where the puck will be.

 

Well, if you admit that Apple Maps is as good as Google Maps, then stop your carping. Otherwise, stop changing your story.

I don't think Apple maps are as accurate or as detailed as Google maps. I think the concept and the interface are innovative, however my biggest complaint has to be the much lower resolution imagery in my particular areas of interest, specifically in Central America where I am looking for land. The imagery there is horrible low res grayscale, and completely unusable. Before, in iOS 5, the quality was simply astounding.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #94 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by el3ktro View Post

I can't reproduce this. I just looked at Melbourne, Australia on Apple Maps on my iPhone. A city that I've never looked at before in maps. I let Maps sit at the default zoom level on Melbourne and waited several minutes, then turned on flight mode. I wasn't able to zoom into Melbourne (maps got blurry) and I was only able to see a little bit more than the original rectangle around Melbourne when zooming out.

Yeah I just tried it and I get nothing but blurry pixels too. 

 

I tried on my iPad 2 and it works fine -- even got some 3D.

 


This what I get. This time I just turned off cellular and wifi where as last time I went into Airplane mode, but the result is the same. The i405 just disappears only a few miles from my starting point once the data connection was turned off.

 

As a side note notice the Park Place Security icon. That entire area is a huge business complex with office towers, hotels and restaurants which all known as Park Place. At least now I know they also have security.

 

I just tried the above area on my iP5...

 

I get standard maps displayed from MacArthur Blvd and 405 (East) to 405 merging with 5 (West) with Airplane mode on.

 

I can zoom out and see all of North and South America!

 

I think what you need to do is:   zoom in and out and pan around, go into hybrid and do the same before you go into Airplane mode...

 

This primes the cache...  I'm kinda' surprised you didn't experiment with that!

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #95 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

 



Apparently you are the only one having difficulties to find objective evidence to support that Gmaps has better. Every tech journalist thinks the same. There are site compiling the horrors of apple maps, why don't you make your own site compile those of gmaps?


Here's the first one that comes to mind. I'm sure there are more out there. Don't think Google Maps is perfect either, and they've had YEARS to correct mistakes.

 

http://googlemapsfail.tumblr.com/

post #96 of 174
This is VERY useful for my travels, often find myself in European cities where im quite limited in google maps to get a sufficient map size in my cache to use offline

With that said, I find it kinda sad that we seem to constantly need to fight one another, guard our little discoveries rather than sharing something for the good of all. Imagine Google and Apple and Nokia working together on a map that would incorporate everything we need!

As a scientist, I find this corporate mentality rather stiffling, though I suppose necessary for corporations to claw up over one another. It does support innovation I guess, but in a very non efficient way!
Imaging if we used this approach with the genome project! We'd still be working on it, hiding things from each other.
post #97 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


This primes the cache...  I'm kinda' surprised you didn't experiment with that!

I did just as you mentioned and I even tried it again right now but it does not work for me. By zooming out to the continent view I was able to see the state outlines but the content of the area is just blurry pixels at any zoom level.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #98 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't think Apple maps are as accurate or as detailed as Google maps. I think the concept and the interface are innovative, however my biggest complaint has to be the much lower resolution imagery in my particular areas of interest, specifically in Central America where I am looking for land. The imagery there is horrible low res grayscale, and completely unusable. Before, in iOS 5, the quality was simply astounding.

 

The evidence you offer doesn't support your belief, except perhaps for your own idiosyncratic purposes. But, first you're saying something, then you aren't, now you are again. Make up your mind.

post #99 of 174

Doesn't it make sense that Google has more data (counting points of interest), so a more cumbersome method for caching is needed, but that as memory gets cheaper and simultaneously more abundant, Google will naturally migrate to automated caching like that described for Apple Maps? Otherwise Google and Nokia are both using vector graphics already--Apple has only achieved parity on that.

post #100 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The evidence you offer doesn't support your belief, except perhaps for your own idiosyncratic purposes. But, first you're saying something, then you aren't, now you are again. Make up your mind.

I disagree with you. End of discussion.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #101 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


This primes the cache...  I'm kinda' surprised you didn't experiment with that!

I did just as you mentioned and I even tried it again right now but it does not work for me. By zooming out to the continent view I was able to see the state outlines but the content of the area is just blurry pixels at any zoom level.

 

Do you have any other iDevice with iOS 6?  It works for me on anything from a iP 4S, iPad 2, iPad 3... the iP4 phones are with the grandkids at school. so I can't try them.

 

Come to think of it... caching works through a hard reset (power OFF/ON)... so it stands to reason that caching is in the SSD.    Therefore, the amount of caching may be related to the size of the SSD and the amount available.  I would bet the Apple Maps app checks SSD availability and adjusts caching accordingly.

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #102 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I did just as you mentioned and I even tried it again right now but it does not work for me. By zooming out to the continent view I was able to see the state outlines but the content of the area is just blurry pixels at any zoom level.

Put in a route from that point of origin to somewhere?
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #103 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I disagree with you. End of discussion.

 

Well, not if you keep making unfounded assertions with no factual or logical basis. I'll keep pointing out that you don't know what you are talking about, just like the good old days when you told us Flash would rule forever and I told you you were wrong.

post #104 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

 

 

The iPhone is premium product and so people expect a premium experience. The great thing about the original iPhone was that it didn't try to do everything - instead it focused on the basics. It gave you the best phone, the best e-mail client, the best music player and the best web browser. Other phones can better cameras or more features, but that didn't matter to iPhone users.
 
The new Apple Maps app seems to focus new features over the basics. The fundamental features, especially when outside of the US and China, are a significant step backwards. A lot of aerial photography is B&W, obscured by clouds or doesn't zoom in very far. Places are mislabeled and major landmarks aren't labelled at all. Instead, we've got some highly advanced new features that are let down by poor basic features. Turn-by-turn navigation is great but doesn't work so well when it tries to route me via a pedestrian footpath.
 
It feels unfinished. If people want to be beta testers, they can buy a cheaper Android device.
 
This topic is boring now though. Virtually every other site has moved on. I think it's time for AI to move on.

 

Apple already perfected the basic features on the iPhone, what were they supposed to do, leave it at that and call it a day?   They needed to branch out to maintain the premium branding as other cell phones began adding more features.  Cameras became important as many people use them as their only camera.  The maps had to be redone and brought in-house so that Apple could have more of a say in their advancement.  Growing pains aside for some users, others embrace the turn-by-turn navigation that has been missing since inception of the original iPhone.   Newer features and improvements can now be added to the app on a more frequent basis, as they are not tied to Google's time table.  There is nothing but upside to this, especially longer term.   Not saying that it is perfect in all use cases, as illustrated by your issues, however there are many people with no issues as well.  Google was always going to keep the iOS version a step behind for various reasons so Apple took control of their own destiny so to speak.  I agree with your opinion regarding this topic.  People have spoken their peace, Apple has issued a statement and is working to improve the app so it is time to move on.

post #105 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't think Apple maps are as accurate or as detailed as Google maps. I think the concept and the interface are innovative, however my biggest complaint has to be the much lower resolution imagery in my particular areas of interest, specifically in Central America where I am looking for land. The imagery there is horrible low res grayscale, and completely unusable. Before, in iOS 5, the quality was simply astounding.

 

The evidence you offer doesn't support your belief, except perhaps for your own idiosyncratic purposes. But, first you're saying something, then you aren't, now you are again. Make up your mind.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The evidence you offer doesn't support your belief, except perhaps for your own idiosyncratic purposes. But, first you're saying something, then you aren't, now you are again. Make up your mind.

I disagree with you. End of discussion.

 

C'mon guys...

 

It is fairly easy to go into satellite view with Apple Maps and find gray areas or cloudy, brown or gray areas -- especially outside of the US...  Try Ronda Spain, or JungFrauJoch Switzerland...

 

The Google Satellite images are better in these areas.  I have compared areas of Central and South America -- Usually google maps is superior when you zoom in over the countryside (outside of major population areas).  Even tourist attractions like Machu Picchu, Nasca Lines or Cuzco.  

 

But there are some areas like Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe that are superior in  Apple maps -- especially in 3D.

 

Finally, even some of the bad areas of Apple maps work quite well in 3D -- giving  better result (for some purposes) than superior Google Maps satellite images... 

 

It all depends on what you are trying to do.

 

 

As I've posted on other map threads, if superior satellite images are available (for hire) I expect that Apple will incorporate them at the earliest moment.   However, it may be somewhat difficult to integrate them with the other data components (vector map data, vector image data, navigation data, POI data, transportation data).

 

And for Street View, I'll say it again:  Nokia has something Apple wants:  Naviteq street view -- Apple has something Nokia wants:  C3 Technologies FlyOver view...  seems like these two could work out a mutually beneficial arrangement...  the enemy of my enemy...

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #106 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

These articles prove that for areas where the data exists and is accurate, iOS 6 maps are competitive, and will likely evolve into the category leader.  

 

It still doesn't change the fact however, that all you Americans doing your web reports and blogs about maps are looking at things through the wrong end of a telescope.  With few exceptions, when you step across the US border ... almost all the data is pure shit.

 

Fact:  Maps won't really be usable by the rest of the world for at least a year or two. 

(just as Siri is only just getting basic functionality outside of the US a full year after it's debut)  

 

My advice to the privileged Americans, is to stop expecting the rest of the world to agree with you that maps is great, because it just isn't and won't be for a long, long, time.  This is not some minor hiccup.  In most cases, it's the loss of almost all navigation ability for a period of years for iOS users who don't happen to be Americans. 

 

Speak for yourself.

 

FYI, the examples I posted are from Australia, which is not a part of the US.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #107 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

 

Who said anything about Apple inventing vector maps? I said they were far ahead of Google Android in regards to vector maps.

 

Quoted from AI article dated August 3, 2012: (http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/03/inside_apples_new_vector_based_maps_in_ios_6/page/3)

The best they'd be is in a dead-heat. They both offer mobile vector mapping for their respective platforms. Neither currently has vector mapping on the desktop nor for their competitors platforms. I don't see how you decided Apple is far ahead. 

 

FWIW the AI article you're quoting from is less than clear that the comments made concerning Google delivering raster and Apple offering vector mapping applied only to Apple's platform. Google has been offering Android users vector maps for a couple of years as mentioned by many others.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #108 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

FWIW the AI article you're quoting from is less than clear that the comments made concerning Google delivering raster and Apple offering vector mapping applied only to Apple's platform. Google has been offering Android users vector maps for a couple of years as mentioned by many others.

 

Which is why Apple's decision to distance themselves from relying on Google is the right thing to do, teething troubles and all.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #109 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

Which is why Apple's decision to distance themselves from relying on Google is the right thing to do, teething troubles and all.

I agree with you.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #110 of 174
That's why I love Apple so much... 1biggrin.gif
post #111 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by el3ktro View Post

I can't reproduce this. I just looked at Melbourne, Australia on Apple Maps on my iPhone. A city that I've never looked at before in maps. I let Maps sit at the default zoom level on Melbourne and waited several minutes, then turned on flight mode. I wasn't able to zoom into Melbourne (maps got blurry) and I was only able to see a little bit more than the original rectangle around Melbourne when zooming out.

Yeah I just tried it and I get nothing but blurry pixels too. 

 

I tried on my iPad 2 and it works fine -- even got some 3D.

 


This what I get. This time I just turned off cellular and wifi where as last time I went into Airplane mode, but the result is the same. The i405 just disappears only a few miles from my starting point once the data connection was turned off.

 

As a side note notice the Park Place Security icon. That entire area is a huge business complex with office towers, hotels and restaurants which all known as Park Place. At least now I know they also have security.

 

 

 

 

First, that appears to be a problem with TomTom data, or, more likely, Apple not interpreting TomTom data properly.  If you go to Hybrid view. "Park Place" appears in all its glory.

 

Second, thank you for bringing back some memories...

 

My family moved from St. Louis Park (Minneapolis) to Pasadena in 1951 (I was 12).

 

The family across the street in St. Louis Park moved to Santa Ana in late 1952 (boys 8, 11 1nd 14).

 

Another friend had moved from St. Louis Park to Oshkosh [b'gosh] WI in 1952 (a boy my age).

 

In 1953, the friend from Oshkosh was a Boy Scout and was going to attend the Boy Scout Jamboree near Santa Ana in July, 1953.

 

I wanted to go stay with my friends in Santa Ana and visit my other friend at the Jamboree.

 

My parents said no!

 

Long story short, being a stupid, heard-headed 13-year-old, I ran away and rode my bike the 30 some miles from Pasadena to Anaheim (some of it on the freeway).  When I got to Anaheim, the family called my parents -- they relented and let me stay the week.

 

When I was trying to duplicate your Apple Maps caching problem, the name "Jamboree Rd" on the map you posted gave me pause...

 

...I wonder...  

 

There was no City of Irvine at that time -- just the privately held Irvine Ranch.

 

The "Jamboree" was held on some rolling hills overlooking the ocean... The location is now called "Fashion Island".

 

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #112 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

There was no City of Irvine at that time -- just the privately held Irvine Ranch.

 

The "Jamboree" was held on some rolling hills overlooking the ocean... The location is now called "Fashion Island".

 

The 1953 National Scout Jamboree of the Boy Scouts of America held its event where Newport Center and Fashion Island now sit. It was the third national jamboree, the first to be held west of the Mississippi River, and had 50,000 scouts from all 50 states and 16 foreign countries.[1] Thousands of tents were pitched in the area accessible only by a muddy two-lane trail called Palisades Road (part of which is now the southern end of Bristol Avenue). The road was soon paved, and later the name was changed to Jamboree Road in honor of the event.

 

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamboree_Road

 

 

Before Jamboree Road was a blacktopped six-lane road, it was two lanes of gravel. In 1953, The Irvine Co. built the road to provide access to and from the Boy Scout National Jamboree, which drew in 50,000 Boy Scouts from every state and 16 foreign countries. Jamboree Road was built to connect "Tent City," which consisted of 25,000 tents, with the Irvine Ranch Scout Troop 36 Clubhouse near what is now Irvine Boulevard and Myford Road. During the Jamboree, the Scouts consumed 600,000 quarts of milk and 170,000 loaves of bread. Bob Hope, Danny Kaye and Roy Rogers stopped by to entertain.

 

Source:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/jamboree-50401-road-irvine.html

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #113 of 174
This article is inaccurate! Nokia vector maps ARE available TODAY within the latest version of Trapster, and they display very nicely!
post #114 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

 

I just tried the above area on my iP5...

 

I get standard maps displayed from MacArthur Blvd and 405 (East) to 405 merging with 5 (West) with Airplane mode on.

 

I can zoom out and see all of North and South America!

 

I think what you need to do is:   zoom in and out and pan around, go into hybrid and do the same before you go into Airplane mode...

 

This primes the cache...  I'm kinda' surprised you didn't experiment with that!

 

I'm pretty sure that vector maps are only available on iPhone 4S and above.  My girlfriend has an iPhone 4 and her maps also go blurry when you zoom in with data off.

 

This also means that Apple could easily provide a web version of their maps using static map tiles, as they seem to have those readily available.

post #115 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berp View Post
....For Apple to have been prematurely voluble and transparent would have slowed to a crawl, and thus gravely imperiled, usage-centric, Maps/Siri-platform development...
 

I can accept that this is what Apple may have thought before the release.  Thus, instead of being voluble and transparent, they were reticent and opaque (some would say misleadingly).  In hindsight that appears to have been a poor choice with regard to the effect on Maps/Siri platform development. Loyal Apple customers would have been willing to do their part to improve mapping data, no matter the pre-release pose.  Potential new customers, believing the hysteria, may now never give the Apple platform a chance.

post #116 of 174

Well... Apple finally, got their 3D FlyOver priorities right:

 

To quote Mila Kunis in the movie "Friends With Benifits: "Pussy..."

 

 

 

This was not there yesterday!

 

On the other side of the hill, you can just see Forrest Lawn... They say that "People are dying..."

 

i cannot see "Hollywood sign" on iOS 5 Google maps (no street view) or Google Earth iOS and OS X (wrong location).  The maps.google.com web site gives the same erroneous result as Google Earth.


Edited by Dick Applebaum - 10/5/12 at 4:10pm
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #117 of 174
Oh, so innovative, not even Like my Nokia N95 wasn't doing this 6 years ago even better (since there was actually no reason to go online, ever)...

For the record, this has nothing to do with vector maps. Claiming so is moronic at best.
post #118 of 174

Here's a weird issue:

 

My iPad 2 processes Apple Maps faster than my iPad 3... and the iP5 is faster than either of them.

 

Maybe it's time to bump the capabilities of the iPad 3???

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #119 of 174
I can't say that I have used Apple Maps: need to update my iPhone. But I have seen the quality of the images for my area, which is Verbier, Switzerland. And the GPS pinpointed me with great accuracy.

Forget Bing. You can't zoom in and the area images are only sharp if you are several thousand feet up, but then you can't even make out so much as a street, let alone a building. As for local info, the nearest restaurant is not even in the country but some 100 miles away in France. According to the map, the main local car park doesn't exist.

As for Google, several streets have the same name. They were informed a couple of years ago, but it has made no difference.

So fine. Apple may have a few issues, but they've just arrived. Give them a break.

Oh! And my Garmin has a half-dozen errors in the last 10 miles to my house, including telling me to turn right off the road, go down a couple of 100 yards, turn round and come back again, then turn left along the road that I was on originally!
post #120 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by awoolman View Post

I can't say that I have used Apple Maps: need to update my iPhone. But I have seen the quality of the images for my area, which is Verbier, Switzerland. And the GPS pinpointed me with great accuracy.

Forget Bing. You can't zoom in and the area images are only sharp if you are several thousand feet up, but then you can't even make out so much as a street, let alone a building. As for local info, the nearest restaurant is not even in the country but some 100 miles away in France. According to the map, the main local car park doesn't exist.

As for Google, several streets have the same name. They were informed a couple of years ago, but it has made no difference.

So fine. Apple may have a few issues, but they've just arrived. Give them a break.

Oh! And my Garmin has a half-dozen errors in the last 10 miles to my house, including telling me to turn right off the road, go down a couple of 100 yards, turn round and come back again, then turn left along the road that I was on originally!

Welcome aboard there awoolman. Do you herd sheep? We already can assume you are an iSheep. Just kidding in case my American sarcasm does not translate. smoking.gif

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new iOS 6 Maps support automatic offline use for a wide area