or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › One year after his death, Apple shares video tribute to Steve Jobs [u]

One year after his death, Apple shares video tribute to Steve Jobs [u]

post #1 of 86
Friday marks one year since the death of Steve Jobs, and Apple marked the occasion by posting a video tribute to its late co-founder and a letter from CEO Tim Cook.

Jobs 1

Update: The tribute is no longer available for viewing on Apple's landing page.

Users who visit apple.com are greeted with a blank white website that simply plays the video, which features black-and-white pictures of Jobs, along with audio clips from some of his greatest speeches and presentations.

The video concludes with the title "Remembering Steve," and the dates marking his birth and death. After it concludes, navigation links to the remainder of the company's website fade in to view, along with a note from Cook, Apple's chief executive.

Jobs 2

Cook's full letter is included below:

A message from Tim Cook, Apple's CEO.

Steve's passing one year ago today was a sad and difficult time for all of us. I hope that today everyone will reflect on his extraordinary life and the many ways he made the world a better place.

One of the greatest gifts Steve gave to the world is Apple. No company has ever inspired such creativity or set such high standards for itself. Our values originated from Steve and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple. We share the great privilege and responsibility of carrying his legacy into the future.

I'm incredibly proud of the work we are doing, delivering products that our customers love and dreaming up new ones that will delight them down the road. It's a wonderful tribute to Steve's memory and everything he stood for.

Tim

Jobs 3

It was exactly one year ago, on Oct. 5, 2011, that Jobs passed away at the age of 56 after a long bout with cancer. He died peacefully at his home, surrounded by his family.
post #2 of 86
Nice tribute, Apple.
post #3 of 86

Thanks for everything, Steve.

There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than your 6 Plus...
There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than your 6 Plus...
post #4 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

Nice tribute, Apple.

Agree...

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #5 of 86

How many other companies, ever, would do this?

I'm sure there'll be some cynics out there but I ran a small computer company from 1980 and Apple sure changed my life and my approach to business - thank you Steve - it's been very emotional. 

post #6 of 86
Thank you, Steve.

I'd being doing something entirely different today if it weren't for Apple and its many fine products which I've used over the decades now to make my "music."

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #7 of 86

Thank you Steve for all you have done and all you will inspire for years to come.

post #8 of 86

It's extremely classy that Apple made a recording of Yo-Yo Ma (馬友友) playing an excerpt of the Prelude from Johann Sebastian Bach’s Suite No. 1 in G major (BWV 1007) for Unaccompanied ’Cello the background music for this tribute video. It is well known that the great ’cellist Yo-Yo Ma was a friend of Steve's; Bach’s music is sublime. Someone made the perfect choice.

post #9 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversquonk View Post

How many other companies, ever, would do this?

Not many, but there are a few that are really big about their founders and leaders who would... FedEx will probably do some major stuff and website videos and such when Fred Smith goes.

post #10 of 86

Thanks Steve, hard to believe it's been a year.  If there is indeed an afterlife, whatever it is, it will be a better place for the rest of us.

post #11 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacManFelix View Post

It's extremely classy that Apple made a recording of Yo-Yo Ma (馬友友) playing an excerpt of the Prelude from Johann Sebastian Bach’s Suite No. 1 in G major (BWV 1007) for Unaccompanied ’Cello the background music for this tribute video.

Thank you so much for that. I've loved Bach's music for many years but have neglected to listen recently. I've just bought Yo-Yo Ma's recordings of the Cello Suites and am looking forward to a calm, reflective day ...

post #12 of 86
Steve matters.
post #13 of 86

The world is a better place because of Steve.  We all play a part, for sure, but Steve definitely figured out how to push people to think differently - for the better.

post #14 of 86
Never celebrate a person's life on their death anniversary but rather on their birthday- much more appropriate and tasteful.
Edited by iSheldon - 10/5/12 at 11:12am
post #15 of 86

Not going to lie...I was kinda disappointed. Every shot centered around him with Apple, especially the first few where it is him holding a product. I think it would have been more fitting to use a better variety of shots and include some that didn't have any link to Apple.

post #16 of 86

What I found most interesting is that while I didn't know Steve Jobs and never met him, when his death was announced, I felt like I had lost a friend and someone that I had actually known for a long time.

post #17 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Never celebrate one's death but their birthday- much more appropriate and tasteful.

We are NOT celebrating his death, we are remembering of Steve's achievements.
post #18 of 86
Steve set the standard for excellence.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #19 of 86

RIP Steve.

post #20 of 86
Quote:

Never celebrate one's death but their birthday- much more appropriate and tasteful.

Only Apple would note the death to celebrate a life of tremendous accomplishments¡

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Friday

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #21 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by odditie View Post

Not going to lie...I was kinda disappointed. Every shot centered around him with Apple, especially the first few where it is him holding a product. I think it would have been more fitting to use a better variety of shots and include some that didn't have any link to Apple.
But that's what Steve is most remembered for - Apple.
post #22 of 86

Class.

post #23 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But that's what Steve is most remembered for - Apple.

Nothing wrong with having an Apple presence, but having all the photos revolve around him with Apple felt like it only was in remembrance of a portion of his life. I just felt like they should have mixed in some other photos along with what they had.

post #24 of 86
Quote:

I don't believe I've ever seen you say something positive. Not even one little thing.  Why are you in these forums if you despise everything about Apple?  I'm confused.  

Is your life so pathetic that you feel the need to join APPLEinsider to spew your pathetic comments to those of us who tend to enjoy the products and services that are provided by Apple?

post #25 of 86
Thoughtful, poignant and true. Thank you Apple for remaining true to yourself and true to Steve. May his memory be a blessing. I cry.
post #26 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I don't believe I've ever seen you say something positive. Not even one little thing.  Why are you in these forums if you despise everything about Apple?  I'm confused.  

Is your life so pathetic that you feel the need to join APPLEinsider to spew your pathetic comments to those of us who tend to enjoy the products and services that are provided by Apple?

Celebrating or noting a birthday is negative ?
Do you know or celebratte when Lincoln died or Washington died?
Geesh!

And I too enjoy Apple products and services- but not 100% of the time/ 24 hours a day.
post #27 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

It is a little sad.

However, give him a rest today.

And go check out the definition of 'Contrarian' for insight.
post #28 of 86
Nothing wrong with having an Apple presence, but having all the photos revolve around him with Apple felt like it only was in remembrance of a portion of his life. I just felt like they should have mixed in some other photos along with what they had.

Like… what? The rest of the stuff is personal, and it's Apple putting out the tribute. This is the only thing that makes sense.

…when…

For the thousandth time, you don't flipping get it.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #29 of 86
You'll always be in my heart, Steve.
post #30 of 86
Quote:

This was from Apple. It was short and to the point. To me it hit home (once again) how the world lost some 'color', for lack of a better word, on that day. Very classy.

post #31 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Like… what? The rest of the stuff is personal, and it's Apple putting out the tribute. This is the only thing that makes sense.

A penny for your thoughts today, TS...
post #32 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

It is a little sad.
However, give him a rest today.
And go check out the definition of 'Contrarian' for insight.

Not sad at all- I'm an optimist. Can't u see how patiently I've been waiting for my new iMac? optimistically hopingi that it'll come sooner rather than later? lol.gif
post #33 of 86
Quote:

Not sad at all- I'm an optimist. Can't u see how patiently I've been waiting for my new iMac? optimistically hopingi that it'll come sooner rather than later? lol.gif

If you were an optimist you'd be sure it would come very soon. Period. 

post #34 of 86

No disrespect to Steve, but this is not a good video.  It's trite and says more about Apple's products than it does the man himself. 

post #35 of 86
Thank you Steve and thank you Apple for creating such a wonderful memorial to a man who was truly ahead of his time.
post #36 of 86
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
A penny for your thoughts today, TS...

I'll be called insensitive and disgusting. Sadly, I know "better" than to speak my mind.

post #37 of 86
Quote:

Celebrating or noting a birthday is negative ?
Do you know or celebratte when Lincoln died or Washington died?
Geesh!
And I too enjoy Apple products and services- but not 100% of the time/ 24 hours a day.

Every year when I pay my federal income tax, I am in remembrance of Lincoln's death.

post #38 of 86
Quote:

There is nothing wrong with remembering someone on the anniversary of his/her death.

Steve jobs wouldn't have done this if he was still running the show. /s

post #39 of 86
Very respectful of Apple to do this. I cannot believe it has been a year. Steve's work will love on forever.

As someone else said, although I was never lucky enough to have met/known him, when I heard that he passed away, I also felt I had lost a friend. To this day, when I think about it, I still get upset.

Thank you Steve for everything you have done. Rest in peace.
post #40 of 86
Originally Posted by flippysc View Post
Every year when I pay my federal income tax, I am in remembrance of Lincoln's death.

Oh boy, I do want to say this, though it could turn political quickly, but I think he was right in instating an income tax to pay for the war, just that it should have been REMOVED when the war was repaid.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › One year after his death, Apple shares video tribute to Steve Jobs [u]