or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › One year after his death, Apple shares video tribute to Steve Jobs [u]

One year after his death, Apple shares video tribute to Steve Jobs [u] - Page 2

post #41 of 86

Where would this industry be today without Steve Jobs?

DOS 22.0

post #42 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

DOS 22.0

Knowning MS marketing, it would be DOS Vista 8 Version 22

post #43 of 86
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Professional 2012.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #44 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

No disrespect to Steve, but this is not a good video.  It's trite and says more about Apple's products than it does the man himself. 

No it doesn't. It says that the company he founded and the products he made are his legacy to the world. He brought art and a humane aesthetic to what would otherwise be barren and alienating technology. He saved the world from mediocrity. His company is continuing to do so.
post #45 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'll be called insensitive and disgusting. Sadly, I know "better" than to speak my mind.
Yeah, right!
post #46 of 86
Quote:

Oh boy, I do want to say this, though it could turn political quickly, but I think he was right in instating an income tax to pay for the war, just that it should have been REMOVED when the war was repaid.
'Groan'...
post #47 of 86
Thank you Steve. You inspired me.

Your Apple team is doing great and in good hands.

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #48 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

No it doesn't. It says that the company he founded and the products he made are his legacy to the world. He brought art and a humane aesthetic to what would otherwise be barren and alienating technology. He saved the world from mediocrity. His company is continuing to do so.

Well since what I stated was just my opinion, I don't see how I could be wrong.

My point was only that as a tribute, it could have been a lot better than pictures of him holding up an iPod and a long litany of Apple products.  He was a very unique person who had a lot more accomplishments than just introducing the world to the freaking iPod.  It also kind of rings hollow to me in that we all know that while he had great input and also the final say on products, he didn't actually design them all himself.  That puts him in an awkward position as a guy who seems to be taking credit for others work, but he's dead and thus can't defend himself.  

IMO Steve Jobs was a lot more important than an iPod or a mouse and his contribution to the company and to the world was far more than a few consumer products we will all forget existed in a few years time.  My opinion is that this tribute lacks personality, depth, or much real feeling.  It's practically boilerplate.  

post #49 of 86

Man, I loved that guy and he didn't know me from Adam. I'm inspired by him every day, and my field is far, far away from microcomputing.  God bless you, Steve.

Picture taken last year, one week after his passing.

post #50 of 86
Originally Posted by paxman View Post
'Groan'...

See, political. lol.gif

You don't keep paying the dealership interest once you've paid for your car.

post #51 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I don't believe I've ever seen you say something positive. Not even one little thing.  Why are you in these forums if you despise everything about Apple?  I'm confused.  

Is your life so pathetic that you feel the need to join APPLEinsider to spew your pathetic comments to those of us who tend to enjoy the products and services that are provided by Apple?

I have to agree.

post #52 of 86
To the man...I tip my hat in thanks.
Mr. Scott
Mr. Scott
post #53 of 86
Quote:

Like… what? The rest of the stuff is personal, and it's Apple putting out the tribute. This is the only thing that makes sense.

Exactly.  It seems like the American media has created some law that everyone who performs a job which puts them in front of the media must show/share every little aspect of their lives.  Why?  So that people can pretend that they know the person and generally treat them so bizarrely when they go out in public that it eventually drives them nuts (as happens to many celebrities)?

The public tribute was created by Apple (not his family), and so it rightfully focuses on what he contributed to the company rather than personal details.

post #54 of 86

The Bach Unaccompanied Cello Suites performed by Yo Yo Ma is a perfect choice. Simple, elegant.

post #55 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

DOS 22.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quote:

Professional 2012.

You guys are getting soft...  We all know Microsoft would not make it so easy.  They'd have the following:

DOS Basic
DOS Home Basic
DOS Home Premium
DOS Professional
DOS ULTIMATE Edition

Each one would be on 200 5.25" floppy diskettes, 640K base RAM with a freakin huge Extended Memory Manager.

post #56 of 86
Quote:

Well since what I stated was just my opinion, I don't see how I could be wrong.

My point was only that as a tribute, it could have been a lot better than pictures of him holding up an iPod and a long litany of Apple products.  He was a very unique person who had a lot more accomplishments than just introducing the world to the freaking iPod.  It also kind of rings hollow to me in that we all know that while he had great input and also the final say on products, he didn't actually design them all himself.  That puts him in an awkward position as a guy who seems to be taking credit for others work, but he's dead and thus can't defend himself.  

IMO Steve Jobs was a lot more important than an iPod or a mouse and his contribution to the company and to the world was far more than a few consumer products we will all forget existed in a few years time.  My opinion is that this tribute lacks personality, depth, or much real feeling.  It's practically boilerplate.  

Well, since you put in those terms, your opinion, then I'll have to say that your posting history shows recently that your opinion is worse than useless. Examples: plastic back for the iPad, electric pink for the nanos, Apple "screwing" their customers over the new dock connector. I could go on. How's the weather up in Redmond?

As for the "freaking iPod," thanks for cheaply denigrating the whole area of life that Jobs saw, and no one else did at the time, that having a thousand songs in your pocket would be transformational. It's not one of "a few consumer products we will all forget existed in a few years time." That device, which demanded an online music service to fill it, was as important as the invention of recorded music to begin with. If you don't get that, you don't get Apple, and you have no business cheapening Steve Jobs's accomplishments with your corrosive opinions.
Edited by Flaneur - 10/5/12 at 9:48am
post #57 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Exactly.  It seems like the American media has created some law that everyone who performs a job which puts them in front of the media must show/share every little aspect of their lives.  Why?  So that people can pretend that they know the person and generally treat them so bizarrely when they go out in public that it eventually drives them nuts (as happens to many celebrities)?

The public tribute was created by Apple (not his family), and so it rightfully focuses on what he contributed to the company rather than personal details.

I second that exactly, and add one to your comment.
post #58 of 86

Did anyone else see CultofMac's intro today?

It's one of the better things they've done in a good while.

post #59 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Well, since you put in those terms, your opinion, then I'll have to say that your posting history shows recently that your opinion is worse than useless. Examples: plastic back for the iPad, electric pink for the nanos, Apple "screwing" their customers over the new dock connector. I could go on. How's the weather up in Redmond?
As for the "freaking iPod," thanks for cheaply denigrating the whole area of life that Jobs saw, and no one else did at the time, that having a thousand songs in your pocket would be transformational. It's not one of "a few consumer products we will all forget existed in a few years time." That device, which demanded an online music service to fill it, was as important as the invention of recorded music to begin with. If you don't get that, you don't get Apple, and you have no business cheapening Steve Jobs's accomplishments with your corrosive opinions.

Your just being a total asshole here for no apparent reason.  Everything we say in a forum is of course our opinion, especially on topics like this.  

Again, you seem to misunderstand what "opinion" means.  How can my opinion be useless?  It's an opinion not an argument, not a fact.  It's what I feel/think about something.  You've said some heartless and mean things in the past, but you seem like an especially nasty piece of work this morning, so I'm muting you forever.  While you may not like my opinion of this video, in fact, you are the one doing all the nasty ranting today.  

I suggest you mute me also and the world can spin on as usual without all this foulness you are inflicting on me just for having a contrary opinion to yours.  

Goodbye forever Mme./Ms/Monsieur "Flaneur."  It hasn't been nice knowing you. ;)

post #60 of 86

How can my opinion be useless?

As an example, overarching any and all topics, when the opinion contradicts objective fact.

post #61 of 86

I miss you, Steve.  RIP.

post #62 of 86
I've had that music as my ringsignal for almost a year...

Was kind of surprised when the movie started....

Great man, miss him often.

A lot.

PS; Thanks macmanfelix for your info.
post #63 of 86

Everything in that clip sums up why I use Apple products.

It was right and proper that Apple remember the legacy of the man who put Apple on the map and then came back...during the 'Second Coming...' to finish the job he'd started to create the most astonishing comeback in history for a company that had been on its knees prior to his return.

He took Apple from being a niche computer player to a global force that has eclipsed every other tech' company out there.  An awesome achievement.  Finally achieving the Job's Modus Operandi, 'Computers for the Rest of Us.'  (Born again Macs in the form of iPods, iPhones, iPads...and the return of 'The Mac' as a force...)

On this anniversary of his death, we remember the man and his achievements.

A an elegant and classy remembrance...of...

...Steve Jobs.

Lemon Bon Bon. 

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

post #64 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Never celebrate one's death but their birthday- much more appropriate and tasteful.

Really dude??  Do you have to complain about everything?  No one is celebrating his death.  They are reflecting on his life.  If you want to bitch and moan about Apple's products, that's fine.  But don't be disrespectful.

post #65 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversquonk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacManFelix View Post

It's extremely classy that Apple made a recording of Yo-Yo Ma (馬友友) playing an excerpt of the Prelude from Johann Sebastian Bach’s Suite No. 1 in G major (BWV 1007) for Unaccompanied ’Cello the background music for this tribute video.

Thank you so much for that. I've loved Bach's music for many years but have neglected to listen recently. I've just bought Yo-Yo Ma's recordings of the Cello Suites and am looking forward to a calm, reflective day ...

Since I found out Steve and Ma were acquainted, I now think of Steve every time I hear Ma.  I sure do miss that guy.

For people not acquainted with Ma, or for those who aren't aware of his versatility, check out "Appalachian Journey" and "Appalachia Waltz".

Wonderful American music.

post #66 of 86
Quote:

No disrespect to Steve, but this is not a good video.  It's trite and says more about Apple's products than it does the man himself. 

As he is synonymous with Apple's products, especially the Mac, I have no issue with it.  If you want to know more about the man, there is always his biography.  I am sure Pixar can do a similiar tribute about his time with them as well if they want to, but much of his life was so intertwined with Apple and their products that it makes sense to do it this way.

post #67 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

You guys are getting soft...  We all know Microsoft would not make it so easy.  They'd have the following:

DOS Basic
DOS Home Basic
DOS Home Premium
DOS Professional
DOS ULTIMATE Edition

Each one would be on 200 5.25" floppy diskettes, 640K base RAM with a freakin huge Extended Memory Manager.

Don't forget about

the Upgrade Editions,

Student and Farmer Editions,

and Worksgroups and Sanitation Editions

post #68 of 86
Quote:

Celebrating or noting a birthday is negative ?
Do you know or celebratte when Lincoln died or Washington died?
Geesh!
And I too enjoy Apple products and services- but not 100% of the time/ 24 hours a day.

Jesus Christ. To many Steve WAS Apple, who founded the company, then came back to resurrect it from the dead, while revolutionizing a few industries in the process.  How DARE Apple post a tribute to the man on their website, on a single day a year from his death. Hundreds or thousands of pieces have been written about him and will be written about him online today, but Apple can't post a message about their former CEO? How the **** is this celebrating? This is Apple's call, and there's nothing odd or outrageous about it. It's a small, classy tribute and will probably be gone tomorrow. 

Quote:

Not sad at all- I'm an optimist. Can't u see how patiently I've been waiting for my new iMac? optimistically hopingi that it'll come sooner rather than later? lol.gif

WHats despicable about trolls is that they never know when to just keep their mouths shut. You even have to troll here and try to shit up this thread? Really? You can't help yourself? You need to keep refreshing a thread about Apple's web tribute to SJ's life to snidely knock the company and troll? Seriously, what the **** is wrong with you?

PS- If this is you 'enjoying' a company's product, I wonder what it would look like when you despise a company. Cause I don't think I've read a single time you've ever said anything positive about Apple- which is quite bit different than your asinine justification. You desperately try to find things to bash the company about (see this thread) and then keep parroting those tired points again, and again, and again. Spare us your bullshit. 

post #69 of 86
Quote:

Never celebrate one's death but their birthday- much more appropriate and tasteful.

And how, pray tell, could we ever believe that someone who posts nothing but negative bs could possibly know anything about what is appropriate and tasteful. Sorry, but as usual, you're out of your league here.

See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #70 of 86
Quote:

Your just being a total asshole here for no apparent reason.

It was you, along with your doppelganger iSheldon, who chose to trash even this thread with your anti-Apple "opinion."
post #71 of 86
Quote:

See, political. lol.gif

You don't keep paying the dealership interest once you've paid for your car.

Great analogy. It's just like taxes. (Groan..)

post #72 of 86
Quote:

I did not get a celebrate vibe. Remembrance & tribute. I visit cemeteries on the days I've lost loved ones, honor Veterans on D-Day and Pearl Harbor Day. Seems fitting for Apple to the same on this day and perhaps those that knew him would find comfort. A year is not a long time for mourning.
post #73 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

Really dude??  Do you have to complain about everything?  No one is celebrating his death.  They are reflecting on his life.  If you want to bitch and moan about Apple's products, that's fine.  But don't be disrespectful.

Sorry definitely no disrespect intended for Steve Jobs- I fixed my post to clarify.
post #74 of 86

When Steve was alive, one of his often-repeated tenets was focus.With this tribute, I think Apple is maintaining that thought.

post #75 of 86
Quote:

Oh boy, I do want to say this, though it could turn political quickly, but I think he was right in instating an income tax to pay for the war, just that it should have been REMOVED when the war was repaid.

Warning: my "2 cents" worth... (or is it 2 bits worth LOL)... perhaps off topic...

ummm, unfortunately for the US, taxes will never go down... by my calculations, every working person (150 million people) will need to pay 15,000 dollars a year for 18 years, (with the prime at 4%) in addition to the taxes already you are paying, to pay off the deficit and the debt. (ten thousand dollars a year for the deficit... and five thousand dollars for the debt a year...)

Think of the debt (15 thousand billion or 150 times the amount of cash Apple has...)
as a mortage. so a 1 million dollar mortage at 4% for 25 years requires approx a 4700 dollar a month payment. and since the debt is 15 trillion or "15 million, 1 million dollar " mortages, the american people will need to pay together 15million times 4700 dollars a month...
which is 5760 dollars a year for every working american... and that is just for the debt... for the deficit it will be worst case an extra 10 tbousand dollars. and best case nothing extra if the federal gov slashes 1.5 trillion dollars a year in spending (BTW, I think the federal gov collects 2.5 trillion, but needs 4 trilllion, hence the deficit.)

further more the average salary is approx 50000, so where is this extra 15000 dollars going to come from?, because this is over and above what you re paying now...

the solution the US will need to collect as much tax as Canada does... that means Eliminating state sales tax, collecting a 13% federal sales tax, with 8 percent or what-ever-the-previous sales tax the state was collecting . BTW any laws in the USA that state this can not happen will be changed... you know "pay up and shut up... what you expect the US government to help you?... if you don't like it move... and the rich will...)

end of "turn political quickly" rant...
post #76 of 86
RIP Steve. I may not agree with all your actions, no one can deny your accomplishments.

One thing that bothers me is that everyone focuses on the iPod and iPhone as his greatest legacy, but they only are from a superficial level. His true legacy is in kicking the doors down in the music industry AND wireless carrier industry. It was a sorry state of affairs with music before iTunes and that was all Jobs and his clout and tenacity. (often overlooked fact: it was his clout as head of Pixar that helped him out there, not as head of Apple). It was also Jobs that broke the stranglehold the wireless carriers had on mobile devices. Before that, they dictated what could and couldn't run on the phones on their network.

Even when they stop making iPhones and Macs, when we can beam the latest Britney Spears directly into our brains without restriction, we'll have Steve to thank for opening that all up.

On a side note: I find it fascinating from a psychological / anthropological stand point that people all of the world are mourning or tributing a man that they have never met. It makes sense that Apple would since he was their leader, mentor and friend. But strangers around the globe are feeling it as well. It's the same way that people were so emotional when Princess Di or Whitney Houston died. I'm not sure what phenomenon that is but it's quite interesting.

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Windows Tablet, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 Linux HTPC

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Windows Tablet, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 Linux HTPC

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

post #77 of 86
The great thing I like about Steve is that he was into computers but he was not a nerd, he was an artist.
Woz, on the other hand...
post #78 of 86
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
The great thing I like about Steve is that he was into computers but he was not a nerd, he was an artist.

"We now have full support for Kerberos and… whatever that is…" *gestures at the screen where an acronym is* lol.gif

Gosh, what keynote was that… it was back when OS X was a headliner.

post #79 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Since I found out Steve and Ma were acquainted, I now think of Steve every time I hear Ma.  I sure do miss that guy.

For people not acquainted with Ma, or for those who aren't aware of his versatility, check out "Appalachian Journey" and "Appalachia Waltz".

Wonderful American music.

Excellent stuff. Many thanks for those recommendations.

post #80 of 86

Wow...

http://www.macstories.net/links/apples-tribute-to-steve-jobs-yo-yo-ma-and-the-prelude-from-bach/

Also, this part is amazing..

Quote:
There was one classic musician Jobs revered both as a person and a performer: Yo-Yo Ma, the versatile virtuoso who is as sweet and profound as the tones he creates on his cello. They had met in 1981, when Jobs was at the Aspen Design Conference and Ma was at the Aspen Music Festival. Jobs tended to be deeply moved by artists who displayed purity, and he became a fan. He invited Ma to play at his wedding, but he was out of the country on tour. He came by the Jobs house a few years later, sat in the living room, pulled out his 1733 Stradivarius cello, and played Bach. “This is what I would have played for your wedding,” he told them. Jobs teared up and told him, “You playing is the best argument I’ve ever heard for the existence of God, because I don’t really believe a human alone can do this.” On a subsequent visit Ma allowed Jobs’s daughter Erin to hold the cello while they sat around the kitchen. By that time Jobs had been struck by cancer, and he made Ma promise to play at his funeral.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › One year after his death, Apple shares video tribute to Steve Jobs [u]