or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › If you are really pro-life and not just anti-sex religious nutbags...

If you are really pro-life and not just anti-sex religious nutbags... - Page 3

post #81 of 85

Do you not consider free birth control a weapon against abortions?  You can't possibly claim that.  Furthermore, you refuse to use it.  How was that statement flawed in the least?  There exists a weapon against abortions that you refuse to use.  Why is that so hard to admit?

Forced sterilizations would also be a weapon against abortions.  I refuse to use that one.  I'll readily admit that.  

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #82 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Do you not consider free birth control a weapon against abortions?  You can't possibly claim that.  Furthermore, you refuse to use it.  How was that statement flawed in the least?  There exists a weapon against abortions that you refuse to use.  Why is that so hard to admit?

Forced sterilizations would also be a weapon against abortions.  I refuse to use that one.  I'll readily admit that.  

And so is abstinence by those who are unable to afford birth-control and do not wish to get pregnant. And so is making the murder of in untero children.

So there are multiple "weapons" against this terrible crime, but you've singled out only one (because of your bigotry) and called it hypocrisy.

You also fail to acknowledge that many people of faith who oppose this terrible crime feel the need to approach stopping it in a morally consistent manner (i.e., not engaging in or supporting a different immoral behavior in order to stop or prevent this one.) By way of example, many people believe it's very important (even a moral obligation) to feed, clothe and house the hungry, naked and homeless. However, they know it would be wrong to steal from someone else in order to meet this moral obligation (i.e., commit or support an immoral act to stop another one.)

Some of us feel it is important to be as morally consistent as much as humanly possible in interacting with the world. That to not do this would be to walk down the path of moral relativism and "ends justify the means" thinking that has been the foundation of so much evil in this world.

I understand that trying to be morally and philosophically consistent isn't important to you but, for some of us, it is.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #83 of 85

I would contend that you are not being morally consistent in the least with your somehow simultaneous Randian views and alleged love for Jesus and zygotes, but I suppose this is an impasse that is not worth my time in attempting to break through tonight.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #84 of 85
Quote:

I would contend that you are not being morally consistent in the least with your somehow simultaneous Randian views and alleged love for Jesus and zygotes, but I suppose this is an impasse that is not worth my time in attempting to break through tonight.

You can contend whatever you like I guess (including the claim that I'm a Randian).

We are in mutual agreement that we're at an impasse.

post #85 of 85
Quote:

I haven't read the entire thread, so this may have been brought up already...

My take on this is that your question is only accurate if by "free birth control" you are referring to abstinence.  Whatever other forms of birth control you might be referring to are anything but free.  They may be paid for by someone else, but there is only one form of "free" birth control.  Considering birth control is a bank busting $9/mo or less I really don't see this as being the solution to the problem.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › If you are really pro-life and not just anti-sex religious nutbags...