or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › October Surprise(s)

October Surprise(s) - Page 2

post #41 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Ryan walked out of an interview when he got a question he didn't like.

If he serves in Congress or as VP, he will get lots of questions he won't like.  Will he walk out?

Will he walk out of the debate?  I think they need to ask him.. before each question.

Well, Ryan has served in Congress for the past 14 years (I think).  He seems to have a pretty solid record there of answering questions.  As to walking out of the interview, I believe the interview had already run long and the camera had even been turned off.  Sounds to me like the reporter was trying to get in a cheap shot.

post #42 of 54
Quote:

After reading around for a while:

The numbers are wrong!  They can't be that low!  That means fewer people are suffering and less support for us!  How in the world could people want the nation to suffer?  If the figure had been over 8% or even gone up, they would have jumped for joy, while thousands suffered?  

The claim is the numbers are cooked.  Right.  Why not until now?  There's a pretty steady decline in the graph since the first year.  Also, the last political appointee to the commission that determines the rates left not long ago... he had been appointed by the War President, GW himself.  Also, isn't this data, which has till now been over 8% for many months, the source data for a large part of Mittens' attacks?  The data is only good when it helps us; as soon as it starts helping Obama, it's cooked. 

You should read around a little more... The Right has been complaining for over a year now that the employment numbers dont' make sense. The Right is continuously citing the U6 number which is relatively unchanged at I believe 14.1% as opposed to the commonly reported U4 number which just recently dropped to an all-time low under Obama of 7.8%. Interesting how the U6 number remained unchanged at 14.1% with such meager job growth, 114k people dropping out of the work-force, and something like 600k part time job additions while the U4 number dropped by .5%.

Chicago politics.  The Right wants the WH, to be president over the entire country.  That includes Chicago.  Way to alienate a large city, where there are also likely GOPpers.  Ring bells of 47%...or "real Amerika"?  The GOP enjoys alienating large portions of the populace in fell swoops.

You make it sound as if the Right invented the term Chicago style politics in honor of Obama.  You are aware that this cliche has been around since the roaring 20s when the mob controlled politics in the city of Chicago.  I don't have any links or specifics, but I've heard that Obama played some truly nasty politics when he ran for his Illinois state senate seat.

The president didn't do anything to change the jobless rate.  Private businesses do that.  But Romney claims he will create 12 million jobs.  By enlarging the government? 

I think it's a pretty safe bet that you are not going to see that kind of government job growth under Romney.  I believe Romney has specifically state that something like 4 million jobs will come from increasing domestic energy production and approval of the Keystone Pipeline.  I can only assume that the rest of his job growth is thru a combination of specific initiatives and projected job growth from a dramatic change in policy.  Obviously this is the kind of rhetoric that people like to hold candidates accountable to, but differing analysis on the proposed plans will result in different estimates so???

Things are getting better after a hard time.  That is good news.  The bad year was Obama's first, when the world was still in free fall after the reign of Bush.  There has been improvement ever since.  The job's not done yet, but things are getting better.  That is good.  

If you measure this by the U4 number as mentioned above, sure.  The U6 number however paints an entirely different picture.  I would say that things currently aren't getting any worse, I'll grant you that much, but things really aren't getting any better.  I really do wish that wasn't the case, but when you factor in labor participation rate and the number of people stuck in part time jobs who would prefer and in most cases need full time jobs, it just isn't the case.

McConnell said his job was to make sure Obama served only one term.  Last I checked, his job was to serve the American people and work as a part of one branch of the government (of which the president is another) to serve the people as a whole, not his party.  

Congratulations on making a good point.  This was a dumb thing for McConnell to say.  Of course it was fuel for the base and they ate it up, but it was still a dumb thing to say in any context.

How closely did Boehner work with Obama to improve the lives of Americans?  The US's credit rating was reduced... why?  

How closely did Pelosi work with Bush?  You want to talk about working together, how about Harry Reid not even bringing legislation passed by the House to a vote in the Senate?  The US credit rating reduction???  You think Boehner is responsible for the credit rating decrease?  It wouldn't have anything to do with trillion plus dollar deficit spending as far as the eye could see could it?  The House passed a budget to reduce this spending, which of course Harry Reid never would allow on the Senate floor for a vote.

Anybody got data for: which states are the poorest, which have the highest unemployment, which have the lowest number of insured, which have the lowest number of high school graduates, which take the most in government handouts, which states are primarily Republican or Democrat?  Usually, these graphs are pretty telling.

OK.  I'll take a shot at some of this.  I'm definitely not going to perform a state by state analysis for you, but let's just compare the Democratic bastion of California to the Republican bastion of Texas...

Unemployment rate...  Ca  10.6%    Tx  7.1   (Ca is 50% higher)

Uninsured                   Ca  20%      Tx  24%  (However in numbers this would be approximately 5.8 million in Tx as compared to 7.6 million in Ca.)

Graduation rate           Ca  80%      Tx  70%  (Again Ca comes in short in absolute numbers due to a much larger population,  Ca  7.6 million drop outs, Tx  7.3 million.  I'll give you that Ca does really good here.)

I haven't had lots of luck in terms of finding out about government handouts though.  Poor is a harder one to compare since you would need to factor in cost of living to this particular number and I'm not going to bother with that.  I looked for poverty rate by state, but this was also not easy to find.  Based upon these metrics I would say at best your suggestion ends up being a wash as to Republican or Democrat.  Of course you could argue either way as Ca won two of the three metrics on a percentage basis, but I would also be inclined to weight unemployment as the highest of the three metrics and Tx beats Ca by 50% which translates into a huge number on an individual basis.  I'm not going to even guess how a full analysis of this would fall out, but I doubt that all of the metrics you listed would paint a clear picture one way or the other.

post #43 of 54
Quote:

Ryan walked out of an interview when he got a question he didn't like.

If he serves in Congress or as VP, he will get lots of questions he won't like.  Will he walk out?

Will he walk out of the debate?  I think they need to ask him.. before each question.

You are a liar.  Here is what happened.  The interview was already over.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #44 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You are a liar.  Here is what happened.  The interview was already over.  

I gotta agree here. They said thank you very much sir and ended the interview. He likely should have waited a bit longer for the cameras to cut to the news anchor, but all he said was:
Ryan: "That was kind of strange, you trying to stuff words in peoples mouth."
Interviewer: "Well I don't know if it was strange."
Ryan: "You're trying to answer the question for me and thats a little odd." (At the end here it gets hard to hear and I am not sure why they did not cut the feed right as they said thank you very much sir)

At no point did he walk out of the interview, and at no point did he actually lose his composure. Bergermeister, you are not even close on this one.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #45 of 54
Quote:

Mittens debates... Mittens!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/08/mitt-romney-debates-himself-video_n_1949414.html

Yep.  A mashup of Mittens' comments where he virtually contradicts himself (standard operating procedure).

Link is to Huffingtonpost.

Video mashup courtesy of Daily Kos.

Please explain.
Shall we post videos where Obama contradicts himself as well. That would be fun, we can all post videos that mean nothing as they are completely out of context and may or may not actually reflect what was being communicated at the time.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #46 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Quote:

Mittens debates... Mittens!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/08/mitt-romney-debates-himself-video_n_1949414.html

Yep.  A mashup of Mittens' comments where he virtually contradicts himself (standard operating procedure).

Link is to Huffingtonpost.

Video mashup courtesy of Daily Kos.

Please explain.
Shall we post videos where Obama contradicts himself as well. That would be fun, we can all post videos that mean nothing as they are completely out of context and may or may not actually reflect what was being communicated at the time.

Romney just lies and says whatever the situation requires. He'll say anything to win.

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #47 of 54

Truer words were never said. He is a Boss and not a president of a country in which he wants to be.This man is deceptive and a liar to boot.I pity all of us if this phony gets in to become the next leader of our country.This is a hawk and would love to start a war with Iran immediately with his boss control he has.

post #48 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Romney just lies and says whatever the situation requires. He'll say anything to win.
Obama just lies and says whatever the situation requires. He'll say anything to win.

See how easy that was. No evidence required.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #49 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Truer words were never said. He is a Boss and not a president of a country in which he wants to be.This man is deceptive and a liar to boot.I pity all of us if this phony gets in to become the next leader of our country.This is a hawk and would love to start a war with Iran immediately with his boss control he has.

Please explain this new "boss" meme you are on. How is it bad that a president may have been or may be a boss? What does the word boss mean to you? How is it a negative connotation. Is he "the man" trying to keep you down? 1hmm.gif
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #50 of 54

Boss I mean he is good to be an executive of a company who gives orders to other people and makes business decisions.Presidential material Romney is not.He is a control freak in many ways.If he becomes the president this man has no inkling about foreign affairs at all.He still lives in the fifties thinking Russia is our foe and he could be detrimental with our relationship to China.he even tried to control the debate last week with Obama and Crowley.

post #51 of 54

Stop defending these creeps already and show what the truth about them really is.They both R and R put on a facade  mostly around reporters.

post #52 of 54
Quote:

Boss I mean he is good to be an executive of a company who gives orders to other people and makes business decisions.Presidential material Romney is not.He is a control freak in many ways.If he becomes the president this man has no inkling about foreign affairs at all.He still lives in the fifties thinking Russia is our foe and he could be detrimental with our relationship to China.he even tried to control the debate last week with Obama and Crowley.

1.  Prove that an executive does not make a good President. 

2.  Do you really think all "a boss" does is "give orders to people?"

3.  Russia is out friend?  Prove it.  

4.  What should we do about China?  

Quote:

Stop defending these creeps already and show what the truth about them really is.They both R and R put on a facade  mostly around reporters.

Creeps?  LOL

post #53 of 54
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #54 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Surprise! Voting machines seem to have a liberal bias.

Some sort of calibration error.  Time to take to the streets! Conspiracy!   

#WhatDemsWouldDo 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › October Surprise(s)