or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft begins guerrilla marketing campaign for Surface near Chicago Apple Store

Microsoft begins guerrilla marketing campaign for Surface near Chicago Apple Store

post #1 of 89
Microsoft has begun promoting its forthcoming Surface touchscreen tablets with an alternative, graffiti-style marketing campaign just a block away from an Apple Store in Chicago.

Surface

The Surface advertisement located on the outside brick wall of "We'll Clean Hand Car Wash" was spotted by Yoni Heisler of iOnApple. He characterized the promotion, especially its location on the side of a car wash, as "particularly bizarre."

The advertisement features two blank rectangles drawn in white with the "Surface" name centered and a small Windows logo below. Beneath each is the tagline "Click in," with red and blue keyboards and trackpad, and a small Microsoft logo to the right.

It's likely that Microsoft chose the location for the ad because of its proximity to the Lincoln Park Apple Store. The car wash is just a tenth of a mile from Apple's store.

The Lincoln Park Apple Store is in a standalone building in prime location next to the North/Clybourn Red Line subway station. In 2009, Apple agreed to pay $4 million to renovate the subway station in order to secure the space for its store.

Microsoft plans to compete head-to-head with Apple's iPad with the launch of its new Surface tablets. The product is particularly compelling because Microsoft has designed and built the hardware itself, rather than allowing its partners to create devices as it has done in the traditional Windows PC space.

ARM-based Surface tablets running the touch-based Windows RT operating system are set to go on sale later this month on Oct. 26. That same day, the new Windows 8 operating system will also go on sale and debut in new PCs.
post #2 of 89

So… hiding behind bushes, wearing camouflage, short, quick surprise attacks, eating berries and other fruits, and crapping in their nests once they leave so others can't use them?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #3 of 89
Ballmer should be a ashamed of himself.
post #4 of 89
Thank Gawd I don't live in Chicago if that's any indication to where their Apple store is located nearby. Let me check on my map app. Drat- no Streetview so I can't.
post #5 of 89

In-store rappers. Graffiti.  Ballmer is trying to get some mad street cred, yo.

It actually hurt to type that.  MSoft is just embarrassing themselves at this point.

post #6 of 89
Microsoft has become such an embarrassment

This whole Windows 8/Windows 8 RT/Surface/Windows 8 Phone/"No Metro" is confusing and shaping up to be an epic fail

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #7 of 89
Yeah, good luck with that.
post #8 of 89

"The product is particularly compelling because Microsoft has designed and built the hardware itself, rather than allowing its partners to create devices as it has done in the traditional Windows PC space."

I don't think the word "compelling" means what you think it does.

post #9 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Thank Gawd I don't live in Chicago if that's any indication to where their Apple store is located nearby. Let me check on my map app. Drat- no Streetview so I can't.

Glad you brought it up. This is a good example of the shortcomings of Street View. All it shows is an empty lot... under construction at some future date... not even a hole in the ground.

Very similar to the Surface tablets.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #10 of 89

i don't get it.

post #11 of 89
Well, being that it is on a brick wall in Chicago, it will soon be riddled with bullet holes. Then someone can take a can of spray paint and spray the initials MGK, aka Machine Gun Kelly, who was so well received by a Microsoft Store just recently.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #12 of 89

I wonder how effectively that can be removed, once the campaign is over.

Booga: "Elon Musk goes for the stars, [Ballmer] installs Windows on a basketball team's computers.  Sounds about right."
Booga: "Elon Musk goes for the stars, [Ballmer] installs Windows on a basketball team's computers.  Sounds about right."
post #13 of 89

Here's some perspective. On the lower-left, you can see the advertising space on the building (with the pin). On the opposite side of Clybourn is the Apple Store.

post #14 of 89
Someone should tag all the screens when these appear with CTRL AlT DELETE... and possibly paint the screens blue...?
post #15 of 89
False alarm! This is an Onion story for sure.
post #16 of 89
Does this kind of advertising really work, or does it just piss people off.
post #17 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barriault View Post

Here's some perspective. On the lower-left, you can see the advertising space on the building (with the pin). On the opposite side of Clybourn is the Apple Store.

That must be photoshopped.  We all know that the iOS 6 maps are worse than useless.  /s

post #18 of 89
They aren't just advertising the Surface near Apple Stores. They're advertising it everywhere. I'm in New York and I've seen these graffiti ads on at least 15 buildings already. I've seen them take over Grand Central station. I've seen ads for Surface on bus shelters and even on subway platform ceilings. Photos of other ads: 

Boston: 

NYC: 

Cali: 

Chicago: 

Texas: 

Seattle: 

NYC: 

NYC: 

NYC: 

NYC: 
post #19 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barriault View Post

Thanks- the next time I fly over it I'll be sure to look for it.
post #20 of 89

I meant, of course, perspective on just how close they are.

post #21 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrowny View Post

They aren't just advertising the Surface near Apple Stores. They're advertising it everywhere. I'm in New York and I've seen these graffiti ads on at least 15 buildings already. I've seen them take over Grand Central station. I've seen ads for Surface on bus shelters and even on subway platform ceilings. Photos of other ads: 

EXACTLY. That's clearly an advertisement space wall as the prior photo shows. Why wouldn't MSFT use it ? The horror!
post #22 of 89

Let me take care of that....

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

post #23 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Glad you brought it up. This is a good example of the shortcomings of Street View. All it shows is an empty lot... under construction at some future date... not even a hole in the ground

Proof?
You sure you're not looking across the street by chance?
It does rotate you know.
post #24 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Let me take care of that....

Haha! That would really be hilarious if someone actually came along and did that.

post #25 of 89

The surface is not going to do well, IMO. Those "colorful" keyboards are disgusting looking and I can't imagine many people actually wanting to type on those distracting keyboards, and what's the price going to be again?

post #26 of 89
I think I get it. They are advertising surface on various surfaces. Apparently color docking keyboards make they tablet worth buying. I'm not buying it so to speak.
post #27 of 89

This is similar to the old IBM "Groovy" campaign for OS/2, which included psychedelic stickers and chalk drawings on sidewalks. That ended in failure and ridicule. Trying so desperately to be cool just makes them look even more dweebish. 

post #28 of 89
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post
I think I get it. They are advertising surface on various surfaces. Apparently color docking keyboards make they tablet worth buying. I'm not buying it so to speak.

"Click in!"

Sounds like clock in. Like work. Like old-timey work. Paper punchcards and the like.

REAL fun selling point.

post #29 of 89
Quote:

Would you like a tissue?

post #30 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Well, being that it is on a brick wall in Chicago, it will soon be riddled with bullet holes. Then someone can take a can of spray paint and spray the initials MGK, aka Machine Gun Kelly, who was so well received by a Microsoft Store just recently.

That can't be legitimate graffiti.  As close as I looked, I couldn't find the words "Mother Fu$#@!" anywhere.

post #31 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Click in!"

Sounds like clock in. Like work. Like old-timey work. Paper punchcards and the like.

REAL fun selling point.

Well, it does run full-blown Microsoft Office. Not a fun selling point, but a very intriguing one. :-)

post #32 of 89
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post
That can't be legitimate graffiti.

The worst part is the one wall where they have two identical images next to one another with just a different color keyboard, and the falsified "wear" on both of them is identical.

Originally Posted by travisbrowny View Post
Well, it does run full-blown Microsoft Office. Not a fun selling point, but a very intriguing one. :-)

Full blown on the X86 version. Likely not so on the other one. 

post #33 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

This is similar to the old IBM "Groovy" campaign for OS/2, which included psychedelic stickers and chalk drawings on sidewalks. That ended in failure and ridicule. Trying so desperately to be cool just makes them look even more dweebish. 

Very true. I remember this period. IBM spent a fortune in advertising, before they gave up ....

post #34 of 89
Quote:

Maybe someday, Google's Streetview for me will show streets that aren't older than a couple years.  Some shops don't even show up.

Oh wait, you're just hating on Apple.  Sorry, my bad.

post #35 of 89

Let it go guys. Without a decent competitor, the iPad you all LOVE so much would literally be the same 10 years from now.

We NEED competition in the marketplace. With over $100B in the bank, do you think Apple is REALLY motivated to make new products?
Or just milk existing "safe" ones? 

An awesome Surface tablet means an awesome iPad down the road. It's THAT simple guys.

"We have to let go of a few notions here. We have to let go of the notion that for Apple to win, Microsoft needs to lose."

Steve Jobs

Aug. 6, 1997

(Microsoft rescues one-time and future nemesis Apple with a $150 million investment that breathes new life into a struggling Silicon Alley icon)

post #36 of 89

"The surface is not going to do well, IMO. Those "colorful" keyboards are disgusting looking and I can't imagine many people actually wanting to type on those distracting keyboards, and what's the price going to be again?"

Which explains why in airports and business lounges you see people typing on iPads with bluetooth keyboards...

post #37 of 89
They need to change thier marketing guru. Looks like MS is promoting thier new Keybaord called surface?. ( Most who are not familiar with Surface will have a diffrent impresion)
post #38 of 89
Quote:

So it's true, one is both Ignorant and blind when one is a troll. Guess you missed this:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/10/04/street-view-for-google-maps-web-app-goes-live-for-some

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #39 of 89

Is Microsoft a startup run by a group of 19-year old frat brothers? 

post #40 of 89
Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post
Let it go guys. Without a decent competitor, the iPad you all LOVE so much would literally be the same 10 years from now.

Just stop talking now.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Microsoft begins guerrilla marketing campaign for Surface near Chicago Apple Store
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft begins guerrilla marketing campaign for Surface near Chicago Apple Store