or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft begins guerrilla marketing campaign for Surface near Chicago Apple Store

Microsoft begins guerrilla marketing campaign for Surface near Chicago Apple Store - Page 2

post #41 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

Which explains why in airports and business lounges you see people typing on iPads with bluetooth keyboards...

I use an Apple wireless keyboard mostly with my Macs, but I sometimes pair it with an iPad also. I don't have an issue with keyboards, I was commenting on the puke worthy colors. My Apple keyboard is clean and I can actually make out the keys on it. The same cannot be said of those MS keyboards.

post #42 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Proof?
You sure you're not looking across the street by chance?
It does rotate you know.

Proof?  Are you really that lazy... or don't you know how to use Street View.

I wish you'd rotate... outta here.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #43 of 89

I have no problem with them advertising their product.  But its always a little creepy how they follow Apple so closely.  Opening an Microsoft store, right beside an Apple store.  Or taking out full page ads showing a 1vs1 comparison of their phone vs the iPhone.  

Microsoft & Samsung are both acting like that annoying ex that just wont leave you alone.  You've been there, done that before.. and you've just moved on.  But they wont stop calling, emailing, texting, facebooking.. and how your new boo is worse than they are.  They are constantly popping up by surprise, in places where you least suspect.. and comparing themselves to what is new in your life.

When are they gonna get they gonna get the point, people have moved on?  And they dont want to "try again, to work things out".

post #44 of 89
Quote:

Thanks- the next time I fly over it I'll be sure to look for it.

Your point? It gives a much better sense of where the hell the location is than a screenshot with no context, which doesn't clearly show road intersections etc.

And seriously, you're the very textbook definition of a troll. Someone who comes into every thread, regardless of the topic, and parrots the same damned issue, hoping to stir the discussion away from the topic at hand and into the shitter. You bring maps/streetview into every fucking thread. This should be a ban-worthy activity, if this forum had any moderation at all. You never bring any type of constructive or insightful discussion about the topic at hand, and your posts are solely composed of drive-by trolling, and snide/sarcastic comments- again, about something irrelevant to the thread. It's despicable, and I wonder what personal issues you have in your own life as to derive such obvious enjoyment out of this and to put so much effort into it. Whatever they are, maybe you should deal with them instead of trolling this forum to mask them. 

post #45 of 89
All good harmless fun.

So is the ad campaign.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #46 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

And seriously, you're the very textbook definition of a troll. Someone who comes into every thread, regardless of the topic, and parrots the same damned issue, hoping to stir the discussion away from the topic at hand and into the shitter. You bring maps/streetview into every fucking thread. This should be a ban-worthy activity, if this forum had any moderation at all. You never bring any type of constructive or insightful discussion about the topic at hand, and your posts are solely composed of drive-by trolling, and snide/sarcastic comments- again, about something irrelevant to the thread. It's despicable, and I wonder what personal issues you have in your own life as to derive such obvious enjoyment out of this and to put so much effort into it. Whatever they are, maybe you should deal with them instead of trolling this forum to mask them. 

Seriously? You need an anger management app as that's totally uncalled for and disturbing.
post #47 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Your point? It gives a much better sense of where the hell the location is than a screenshot with no context, which doesn't clearly show road intersections etc.

I went away for a while because of the steady increase in trolls. AI has improved greatly but it's obvious they still support a few trolls. AI really doesn't need the click bait so I'm not sure why it is tolerated.

Anyway... I brought it on myself by replying to this twit.

Good luck!

The Surface? Ha! I'll see it when I believe it.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #48 of 89
Stop responding to the trolls.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #49 of 89

Microsoft should have come to me to talk advertising. With a name like Surface, you gotta use....

Submarines!

Or am I the only one who hears Surface and thinks about submarines?

post #50 of 89
OK, I'll admit it. Spending all my life in rural America, I was intreagued with this inner-city minimalist marketing approach. It got my attention. But then I read the copy and it seems to be another in a continuing saga of typical vaporware/hype majorcrap AND they themselves are making the hardware. That killed any and all interest. Next thing will be Surfaces drunk and lying with a gutter in it's face surrounded by a chalk outline.
post #51 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atashi View Post

Or am I the only one who hears Surface and thinks about submarines?

I wonder whether it'll sink or swim, or be a floater and eventually get flushed.
post #52 of 89
Surface: a PC in post-PC clothing...

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #53 of 89

Too late, MS.

It was *already* too late when you launched WP7 two years ago. 

post #54 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

"The product is particularly compelling because Microsoft has designed and built the hardware itself, rather than allowing its partners to create devices as it has done in the traditional Windows PC space."

I don't think the word "compelling" means what you think it does.

I'm sure the first version Surface will be just as reliable as the first gen XBox360.
post #55 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

Let it go guys. Without a decent competitor, the iPad you all LOVE so much would literally be the same 10 years from now.
We NEED competition in the marketplace. With over $100B in the bank, do you think Apple is REALLY motivated to make new products?
Or just milk existing "safe" ones?

An awesome Surface tablet means an awesome iPad down the road. It's THAT simple guys.

LOL.

Do the smallest amount of research and you'll discover how wrong you are.

So in the past decade or so, Apple created:

The iMac (redefining what a computer could look like)
MAC OS X (redefining the operating system)
Apple stores (redefining the retail experience)
The iPod (redefining the MP3 music player)
Saved the legal music industry
The Nano
The iPhone (redefining the mobile phone)
The MacBook Air (redefining the portable computer)
and the iPad (redefining the tablet market)

...and this all occurred during Microsoft's 'lost decade' where, despite still not being successful in most of those categories today, and despite only having produced three successful products (the Xbox, a bug fix for Vista - Win 7, and the Kinnect) , Microsoft are apparently what are driving Apple to get off their asses?

You've got me convinced.
Edited by GTR - 10/5/12 at 2:17pm
post #56 of 89

Dang - I thought that meant to suggest they were giving hand jobs to anyone who bought the product.

post #57 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

LOL.
The Nano
...and this all occurred during Microsoft's 'lost decade' where, despite still not being successful in most of those categories today, and despite only having produced three successful products (the Xbox, a bug fix for Vista - Win 7, and the Kinnect) , Microsoft are apparently what are driving Apple to get off their asses?
You've got me convinced.
They will make new products but without competition they won't update the existing ones.

Like in your list. iMac has basically been the same for 5 years, for a long time updating iPods was essentially introducing colour versions then black and white versions then colour then black and white etc, iPad 3 isn't exactly different to iPad 1, iPhones get the most minimal update each year.
post #58 of 89
I kinda like the ads. There simple and are clearly aimed at showing off the unique feature of the keyboard. It's good to see them going at a different angle than apple with the iPad.
post #59 of 89
Quote:

Thank Gawd I don't live in Chicago if that's any indication to where their Apple store is located nearby. Let me check on my map app. Drat- no Streetview so I can't.

Have you EVER anything positive to say regarding Apple?
post #60 of 89
In Los Angeles, in the Silver Lake neighborhood, this same painting has been up on the Dangerbird Records building for a few weeks.
post #61 of 89
Quote:

Thank Gawd I don't live in Chicago if that's any indication to where their Apple store is located nearby. Let me check on my map app. Drat- no Streetview so I can't.

If we knew you, I imagine most Chicagoans would be "thanking Gawd" for the same thing.

post #62 of 89

These ads with no detail and the dotted lines kind of make it seem like surface isn't a real product. It's as if the text should say something like:

Your Product Message Here!

Call 555-1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrowny View Post

Cali: 

Chicago: 

NYC: 

NYC: 

NYC: 
post #63 of 89
Quote:

Thanks- the next time I fly over it I'll be sure to look for it.

Next time I'm dodging cars in the middle of the street than I can appreciate streetview as well.  See I can do the same thing.  To knock flyover, when that screen capture he sent you was clearly useful, in reply to your post shows you have an agenda.

How do we all know Microsoft is behind these absolute works of art.  Sure in my day gangsters/graffiti artist tagged walls with big obscure lettering spelling out their gangs names, individual names, cuss words, or things they believed in such as "Justice for Malice Green" which was tagged on a overpass bridge off I-75 in Detroit.  Today we are living in a tech world and it's quite possible there are some gangster Microsoft fan boys who love the surface.  It's gonna be great for drive by's using your gps, a data connection and no more fiddling with a touch screen which would obviously hinder you while trying to hold a uzi steadily. 

post #64 of 89
Incredible, a DED piece that characterizes a non-Apple product as "compelling".

Oh, wait...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #65 of 89
Also, i'd love to see Ballmer doing some guerilla operation... I can easily imagine him imitating the famous North American Coding Monkey with its cry of "Developers developers developers"...

post #66 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

I think I get it. They are advertising surface on various surfaces. Apparently color docking keyboards make they tablet worth buying. I'm not buying it so to speak.

Well, I've heard several "normal people" who're considering it. While I'm more of an Apple person, I think it's quite interesting to see artists, moms and even some "almost geeks" (real geeks run Android or iOS, depending on their willingness to root their device, imho) feel positive, united, towards a Microsoft product.

What I do "fear" (for lack of a better word) is that, as usual, Microsoft does a lot of advertisement for a product that will sizzle and then die.

What I can say for sure, is I have several colleagues running Windows 8 on PC's and they absolutely love it... and it crashes more often than my Macbook Air, which is sort of unstable since I installed Mountain Lion. So I'm expecting people to be quite pissed after so much expectations, when hey get the usual unfinished, crash-riddled product :p

post #67 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

LOL.
The Nano
You've got me convinced.

Android, which killed Nokia and probably Rim...

post #68 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

They will make new products but without competition they won't update the existing ones.
Like in your list. iMac has basically been the same for 5 years, for a long time updating iPods was essentially introducing colour versions then black and white versions then colour then black and white etc, iPad 3 isn't exactly different to iPad 1, iPhones get the most minimal update each year.

Would that be like the "most minimal" update from the Samsung Galaxy S 2 to the Samsung Galaxy S III?

Bigger screen with more pixels - check

Same camera - check

Newer processor - check

Not much else really, not even LTE which some versions of the S 2 already had.

So wtf comprises a more than minimal update, seeing as how the whole phone was basically redesigned.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #69 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

So Apple needs competition, otherwise it won't update existing products and services, but it currently has competition but is not updating said products and services.

Do you realise you just disproved his point about needing competition?

And what exactly has the 'competition' produced in the same time frame?
post #70 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Android, which killed Nokia and probably Rim...

Hate to bust your bubble, Sunshine, but Apple created Android as well.
post #71 of 89
Has anyone actually typed on these keyboards? I'm curious how good they are. Honestly I'm not sure how I'd enjoy typing on a brightly colored keyboard. After a while my eyes would get tired of looking at it.
post #72 of 89
I stopped by and just realized how immature most comments on the first page were. Obviously, I-can't-believe-he's-a-mod Tallest Skill is one of the authors. If you think there's nothing appealing about a x86 full-blown computer that's just ~$100 more than an iPad with similar storage *and* packs in more innovation than anything Apple has done this past year.... Oh, what am I talking about. This is AppleInsider. Logic is one of the first casualties in the forums.

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #73 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Has anyone actually typed on these keyboards? I'm curious how good they are. Honestly I'm not sure how I'd enjoy typing on a brightly colored keyboard. After a while my eyes would get tired of looking at it.

It's OK if you wear eye protection.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #74 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

[...] If you think there's nothing appealing about a x86 full-blown computer that's just ~$100 more than an iPad with similar storage *and* packs in more innovation than anything Apple has done this past year.... Oh, what am I talking about. This is AppleInsider. Logic is one of the first casualties in the forums.

I'm constantly surprised by peoples' views of Apple. There's a "Yew'r either fer us or agin' us" attitude.  People either jump all over any mis-step the company makes or are rabid champions insisting the company can do no wrong.  How does a tech company instill such extreme and polarizing opinions?  People seem to feel more strongly about Apple than they do about world politics.

RULES OF APPLE PRODUCT OWNERSHIP

1. Once you decide a particular Apple product is appropriate for your needs and buy it, you are obligated to love ALL Apple products.  You may not like one Apple product and dislike another.

2. Once you have purchased an Apple device, you may no longer demonstrate respect or appreciation for the products of any other manufacturer.  For example, if you own a Mac, iPod, iPhone or Apple TV you are forbidden to like the Microsoft Surface even if you don't own an iPad.  Neither may you acknowledge that, for some people, the Samsung Galaxy is a perfectly appropriate choice.

3. If you own an Apple device, it is your sworn duty to defend the honor of the brand.  No shortcoming, however insignificant, may be conceded.  No fault may ever be accepted.  You will consider any wish for something not offered by an Apple device to be an unrealistic expectation, a lack of understanding of how Apple products are meant to be used, or, as a last resort, an attack by a "hater."  Your compensation for this will be... um... (uh, so what exactly is in it for the zealots?)

Failure to adhere to these rules will result in you being insulted in Apple-oriented forums.

post #75 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Also, i'd love to see Ballmer doing some guerilla operation... I can easily imagine him imitating the famous North American Coding Monkey with its cry of "Developers developers developers"...

The next time you see Ballmer on stage he'll be wearing baggie pants halfway down to his knees, showing off his underwear, wearing ink, and flashing off what he assumes are gang signs. 

He will think he's got kewl down tight. He be BAAADD...

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #76 of 89
Poor MS, cannot spend any more advertisement money on a probable fail product. Have to settle for plain vanilla ad space.
post #77 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

In-store rappers. Graffiti.  Ballmer is trying to get some mad street cred, yo.

It actually hurt to type that.  MSoft is just embarrassing themselves at this point.

It hurt to read as well because of the sheer absurdity of it all.

Another thing to consider; these are expensive electronic luxury products - their actions seem to reflect that they're aiming for a target audience that is the opposite of the actual people that will buy the products. When I see someone with an expensive electrical gadget, its a well groomed fashionable man or woman - not a kid with his pants around his bum.

Though its a shame really. If it was a clean billboard poster with the same advert on it'd actually be a great advert. I agree with timgriff84 - the really simple minimalism is nice too look at.

... at night.

... at night.

post #78 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's OK if you wear eye protection.
Is that included in the box?
post #79 of 89
Microsoft . . . So gangsta. Like hearing your Dad say "for shizzle."
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #80 of 89

I kinda like these grafiti though. I would agree that competition makes technology better, but this kind of "competition" is just too little too much.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Microsoft begins guerrilla marketing campaign for Surface near Chicago Apple Store
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft begins guerrilla marketing campaign for Surface near Chicago Apple Store