or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple support document addresses iPhone 5 'purple haze'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple support document addresses iPhone 5 'purple haze' - Page 2

post #41 of 113

70 posts in 7 days.

What a busy little troll.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

 

 

Apple should not use their arrogant tactic, “You’re taking pictures wrong.”

 

. . . [bla bla

etc.

bla] . . . 

post #42 of 113

Well we have finally reached the limit of the smart people owning iPhones.  We are now getting into the limited intelligence people.  When they all buy iPhones we will start to get into the really stupid people owning iPhones.  Wonder what the really stupid people will come up with.  Black picture.  Apple will release a document.  Please remove your ringer off the camera lens to take a picture.  And then please don't use a nail coated with boogers on the touch screen.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #43 of 113
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post
3866 posts and nothing intelligent to say.

What a surprise!

 

Either rebut the argument without mentioning post count or don't bother posting at all.

 

I can't believe this even has to be said.

 

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post
And then please don't use a nail coated with boogers on the touch screen.

 

That might conduct, though, unlike a plain nail. lol.gif


Edited by Tallest Skil - 10/7/12 at 2:08pm

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #44 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

 

...  'Sapphire glass' is problem.

 

------------------------------

 

We’ve just learned that the iPhone 5 camera may be faulty, showing a purple haze (yep, I said it) in certain lighting conditions. If you take a picture with the iPhone 5, and there’s a bright light that’s outside of the frame, you’ll see a purple tint come across the image.

This is possibly due to the Sapphire glass used in the camera’s lens.

 

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/26/the-iphone-5s-camera-is-faulty-shows-a-purple-haze/

 

As completely false and nutty as this theory is, I think you've hit on the exact reason why we didn't hear about this lens flare problem with previous iPhones even though all the evidence seems to indicate that they all acted in exactly the same way. Conspiracy theories often get started by way of exactly these sorts of coincidental juxtapositions.  

 

You have an iPhone camera with only one feature that's really different from previous versions, it has a "sapphire" scratch cover on the lens (presumably to prevent scratches).  Everyone knows that sapphires (in nature) are blue/purple/red.  Add those two together and someone inevitably makes the unwarranted, unproven and unlikely speculation that these two things are related (techCrunch above).  Instantly, a "conspiracy" is born (even though all the facts are against it). 

 

The trouble is for this to be actually true, Apple would have to have selected a type of artificial sapphire that has a colour to it (instead of all the available crystal clear ones), lie to us about having done that, and correct the problem in software (except for the edge cases like looking into the sun which they presumably can't do anything about.)

 

Since the 4 and the 4S both had this problem, (albeit to a slightly lesser degree), it simply can't be anything to do with the sapphire lens cover which is unique to the iPhone 5.

post #45 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

3866 posts and nothing intelligent to say.

What a surprise!

 

 

Have you read a camera manual?

 

Have you used the camera on an iPhone 5?

 

It is easy to reproduce "purple haze" with it or other camera's.

 

It is just as easy to make it disappear by moving the camera, as manuals suggest.

 

Now everyone is a camera lens expert, just like two years ago when everyone became antenna experts.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #46 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

 

No, they're saying the lens of your 5 is shittier than that of the 4S, so watch where you point it.

 

 

well - i noticed it on mine too - ip5 suffers more so than ip4 - maybe it takes better pics in other scenarios though - truthfully  both take great pics in normal light

post #47 of 113

People who complain about "purple haze" are not Apple fans.

 

They should return the merchandize and give it to those who wont complain.

 

Sweep this under the rug so my stock price can go up.

 

End of story.

 

P.S. The new camera will make you look fat though.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #48 of 113

Oh brother. I'm always amazed at the things you think you need to pipe in on.

It this you rebutting an argument?

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Run away, Samsung shill. Run long. Run far.

 

 

He has no argument to rebut.

He's just claiming BS because he's too lazy to read about CA (or he's to ignorant to understand it.)

If you read my OP (which he partially references) you can see he's too thick to understand it.

I'll make it easy,   "Purple Haze" is NOT Chromatic Aberration!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Either rebut the argument without mentioning post count or don't bother posting at all.

 

I can't believe this even has to be said.

 

 

That might conduct, though, unlike a plain nail. lol.gif

 

I'm unfamiliar with the poster, but here's the most eloquent post I've seen so far:

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

No, they're saying the lens of your 5 is shittier than that of the 4S, so watch where you point it.

 

 

 

 

This is illustrates a problem.

It may not be a huge problem. It may not be a problem for people who don't care about quality imaging.

But it is a degradation in quality and a step backward for the iPhone camera.

People who do not understand this (or exaggerate it) clearly have some agenda.

post #49 of 113
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post
Oh brother. I'm always amazed at the things you think you need to pipe in on.

It this you rebutting an argument?

 

So, to clarify, you're defending the user who is a shill paid by Samsung to lie about Apple on Apple forums?


Defending. Just to clarify.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #50 of 113


Confirmed for purple flare. Been doing some testing myself as you can see

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #51 of 113


Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Have you read a camera manual?

 

Yes, I have (and many books.) In fact I've taken graduate level photography classes.
 

 

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Have you used the camera on an iPhone 5?

 

Yes, I have (as you would know, if you read an earlier post above! [the one that talks about CA and "purple haze!"])

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

It is easy to reproduce "purple haze" with it or other camera's.

Again, you are wrong. I have never seen "purple haze" of this nature in any photograph I have ever taken with cameras I own.

In fact my most recent posts shows a post by Cash 907 that shows how wrong you are!

 

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

It is just as easy to make it disappear by moving the camera, as manuals suggest.

It certainly is true that if one takes a different picture, the image produced will be different.

If one has an assistant to shield the sun, or a flare hood, a picture of the same scene will be different too.

Also, if one uses a different camera (like say an iP4s) the image will also be different.

And most importantly, it will be better WRT "purple haze (that's the key takeaway concept for you.)

 

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Now everyone is a camera lens expert, just like two years ago when everyone became antenna experts.

That's a mildly provocative observation. Thanks for sharing!

Do you have any documentation to support this idea?

 

post #52 of 113

So just to be clear, 

 

 

iPhone 4S

 

 

6th-gen iPhone

 

Looks like an improvement to me.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #53 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

So, to clarify, you're defending the user who is a shill paid by Samsung to lie about Apple on Apple forums?


Defending. Just to clarify.

I was not aware that you had any proof that 845032 is a shill paid by Samsung.

I missed that when you posted your evidence of that.

But it wouldn't surprise me if that was true, I did, after all, say he was a troll.

 

So, just to clarify, why didn't you tell me to rebut 845032's argument, but you did tell me for hill60's?

(hill60's "argument" was about as cogent as 845032's)

 

So, just to clarify, why didn't you tell hill60 to rebut my argument instead of just calling me a liar? Just to clarify, why is that? Just to clarify?

post #54 of 113

I have not had an opportunity to test this for myself until now. I just took this image a few minutes ago which according to all reports should have shown purple but it does not. This is totally un-retouched so don't even suggest I did something. It is taken with the default settings on iPhone 5.

 

 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #55 of 113

Now *that's* funny!

(Holy Cow.! it's even bleeding over onto the iP4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post


Confirmed for purple flare. Been doing some testing myself as you can see
post #56 of 113

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what the conditions have to be to get the really bad flare. I only got to test it for a short time and I had a hard time *making it* do it in any situation. But when the conditions were right, it tends to do it repeatedly.

I found that it did it most consistently when the light source is completely out of the image. And if the cause is TFD, as I assume, it will be most prevalent (blooming) when the light is mostly coherent, but slightly dispersed (say by a light atmospheric haze.)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have not had an opportunity to test this for myself until now. I just took this image a few minutes ago which according to all reports should have shown purple but it does not. This is totally un-retouched so don't even suggest I did something. It is taken with the default settings on iPhone 5.

 

post #57 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what the conditions have to be to get the really bad flare. I only got to test it for a short time and I had a hard time *making it* do it in any situation. But when the conditions were right, it tends to do it repeatedly.

I found that it did it most consistently when the light source is completely out of the image. And if the cause is TFD, as I assume, it will be most prevalent (blooming) when the light is mostly coherent, but slightly dispersed (say by a light atmospheric haze.)

 

Ok so I took another shot with the sun just out of frame still no purple. Maybe there are some iPhone 5 cameras that are defective.

 

 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #58 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

Wait... are you saying my iPhone 5 isn't a professional DSLR with a 30,000 dollar lens? I want my money back!
Or, I suppose, I could take fewer pictures of the sun.
Interesting article, though.

 

Money back???

JJ Abrams shot Star Trek with $30K Panavision lenses with stagehands off camera intentionally throwing extra lights on the lens to get it to flare ridiculously.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #59 of 113
I'd rather that Apple address real issues (exemple: why doesn't my mom's Facetime have sound anymore, 5 minutes into a call, which requires a reboot of the Mac to solve?)

But surely, it's better to focus on PurpleHazeGate.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #60 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post


Really? Sounds to me like people tried to splitting hair here. Look at the photo, delete the flare (suppose no sun there) what will you get with the black leaves and white sky? Oh, Chromatic aberration around the edge of the leaves. Now put in the sun, we have the flare and this aberration is amplified by the much higher contrast so the tint is much more pronounced and mixed with the flare but we can't call this change in color (from black leaves and white sky to purple) Chromatic aberration? Please...
You can shoot directly at the sun with no tint. Even iPhone 5 can. The appearance of the tint is what it's called CA. I'm glad I'm not academic person so I don't have to splitting hair in real life.

It's not helpful to put so much effort into being wrong. The purple fringing on high contrast detail (the leaves) is indeed chromatic aberration. The close proximity of the fringe to the leaf edge is the result of the very small displacement of the focal length for various wavelengths of light passing through the optical train. You'll notice that the purple fringe around the sun is quite displaced from it, so the same mechanism is clearly not at work. That purple fringe is caused by internal reflections from faces of elements in the optical train, some of which may take place at angles that reveal color due to undesirable interference in anti reflective or spectral filter (IR reject) coatings. There can also be scattering from microscopic internal and/or surface defects.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_flare

 

Look at the example images.

 

The inclusion of the sun in the image would actually decrease the contrast between the leaves and the sky because light leak across the entire image will raise the black level. Anyone familiar with photography has seen that shielding the lens of a camera upon which out-of-image sunlight directly falls, increases the contrast of resulting photographs. You have inadvertently argued that removing lens hoods will improve image contrast. I challenge you to find a supporter for that argument.

 

You'll also notice that the purple flare in the example image has a great deal of ray structure, along which you can discern hints of rainbowing. Would you care to explain how chromatic aberration causes that?

 

As for being thankful you are unable to split such hairs, I ask you to rethink the wisdom of embracing ignorance.

post #61 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think you guys are just splitting hairs here.  Moving the camera will indeed correct the problem just as slight tilting will. It's also really unlikely that the average user could tilt the iPhone while still having it remain in a fixed position just as you note the unlikeliness of moving the camera without also tilting it somehow.

You're right, it is splitting hairs, though I like it when people sound like they know what they're talking about and get the fundamental stuff right.

If it's the sun that is in question, you absolutely must turn the camera to get the sun out of the frame. You would have to "slide" the camera at least the width of the earth to do it without rotation. You can demonstrate it for yourself with a simple experiment. Draw a sun onto a piece of paper, and tape it onto an opposite wall. Take one photo of that piece of paper from the other side of the room. Slide the camera to one side a few inches and take another photo. After that, rotate the camera a few degrees and take another photo. The photo where you rotate the camera direction has a meaningful change in framing of the photo. Sliding the camera will not have nearly the same effect. Involve the real sun, practically none at all.
post #62 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

 

Money back???

JJ Abrams shot Star Trek with $30K Panavision lenses with stagehands off camera intentionally throwing extra lights on the lens to get it to flare ridiculously.

 

I'm pretty sure JJ Abrams wasn't looking to get the kind of flare discussed here in every shot of his movie. But there's also this:

 

I'm sure they were not extensive, but "The Avengers" contained several shots that were taken with an iPhone. Not only that, they even are used in the trailer:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/10/20/the-avengers-iphone/

I'm guessing 0:20, 0:47, and 1:24 might be iPhone shots (and yes there is some flare in some of these shots, but not overwhelming purple stuff.)

 

On a similar note there are some super cool things going on with inexpensive, but very hight quality cinema cameras that are pursuing different strategies to get to a similar goal. These are all under $3000 for the camera body (even less for the first one.)

 

Magic Lantern, open firmware for several Canon DSLRs (the most affordable, DIY, and frankly amazing):

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

 

KickStarter Digital Bolex (The coolest, and most spiritually satisfying, and available to original KickStarters soon):

http://www.digitalbolex.com/products/

 

Black Magic (the most professional, business like, and surpisingly affordable):

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/

post #63 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have not had an opportunity to test this for myself until now. I just took this image a few minutes ago which according to all reports should have shown purple but it does not. This is totally un-retouched so don't even suggest I did something. It is taken with the default settings on iPhone 5.

 

 

Well maybe the people are leaving the clear plastic protector on the phone and not removing it there for creating the hue.  I don't know just a thought.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #64 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Ok so I took another shot with the sun just out of frame still no purple. Maybe there are some iPhone 5 cameras that are defective.

 

 

I don't think so, but I appreciate the fact that you are experimenting. It's only by actual experimentation that it can be figured out. If I had an iPhone4s and 5 I would enjoy running systematic experiments to figure it out for myself.

It's probably a bit more complex of a phenomenon that occurs in particular situations that are not yet fully understood. It seems like this is always the case when things are controversial like this. 

 

 

Although it may vary somewhat from camera to camera. Possibly a subtle vectoral property is involved. Maybe the orientation of some of the parts that that transmit the light have to do with how the problem expresses itself. Maybe happenstance orientation of some of the camera parts interact to create the problem.

post #65 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

 

 

Apple should not use their arrogant tactic, “You’re taking pictures wrong.”

 

'Sapphire glass' is problem.

 

 

Fu*k that's an ugly lamp!

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #66 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

 

I'm pretty sure JJ Abrams wasn't looking to get the kind of flare discussed here in every shot of his movie. But there's also this:

 

I'm sure they were not extensive, but "The Avengers" contained several shots that were taken with an iPhone. Not only that, they even are used in the trailer:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/10/20/the-avengers-iphone/

I'm guessing 0:20, 0:47, and 1:24 might be iPhone shots (and yes there is some flare in some of these shots, but not overwhelming purple stuff.)

 

On a similar note there are some super cool things going on with inexpensive, but very hight quality cinema cameras that are pursuing different strategies to get to a similar goal. These are all under $3000 for the camera body (even less for the first one.)

 

Magic Lantern, open firmware for several Canon DSLRs (the most affordable, DIY, and frankly amazing):

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

 

KickStarter Digital Bolex (The coolest, and most spiritually satisfying, and available to original KickStarters soon):

http://www.digitalbolex.com/products/

 

Black Magic (the most professional, business like, and surpisingly affordable):

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/

 

I'm aware of that. And I'm also aware that directors who shoot with anamorphic Panavisions know how it's going to look on film, warts and all. The irony is that when these lenses were first used, the excessive blue horizontal streaking from bright light sources was considered undesirable. Now they give "character" to the lenses and add to the aesthetics of the cinematography.

 

When you consider that people are practically destroying their digital pictures by running them through Instagram filters that add imperfections (such as yellowing and film grain) to achieve "character" and aesthetics to their pictures, I don't see why people are so bent out of shape over purple lens flare on the iPhone 5.

 

In my view, if they really want perfection, they should get a dedicated camera with a proper coated lens and lens hood.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #67 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

I was not aware that you had any proof that 845032 is a shill paid by Samsung.
I missed that when you posted your evidence of that.
But it wouldn't surprise me if that was true, I did, after all, say he was a troll.

So, just to clarify, why didn't you tell me to rebut 845032's argument, but you did tell me for hill60's?
(hill60's "argument" was about as cogent as 845032's)


So, just to clarify, why didn't you tell hill60 to rebut my argument instead of just calling me a liar? Just to clarify, why is that? Just to clarify?

If you read the solutions that Apple provided, as mentioned in the article, you would know it isn't an issue if you take a few simple steps, steps that are outlined in any camera manual or photography handbook.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #68 of 113
Rotating the phone a few degrees will change the degree of the angle that the light from the light source hits the lens at dramatically. Displacing the phone by a few inches will not significantly change the angle unless the focal point and source of light are only a few inches away. This would be really easy to draw:

If you draw a triangle and place a pencil on one of the corners, perpendicular to the other two corners, then pick one corner to represent the light source you can see that the angle between the pencil length on the light source side and the line drawn between the "pencil corner" and the "light source corner" can be taken from 0 degrees to 180 by twisting the pencil. You could displace the pencil corner infinitely in either direction perpendicular to the opposite side and never have a 0 or 180 degree angle via that method.
post #69 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Ok so I took another shot with the sun just out of frame still no purple. Maybe there are some iPhone 5 cameras that are defective.

 

 

I don't think so, but I appreciate the fact that you are experimenting. It's only by actual experimentation that it can be figured out. If I had an iPhone4s and 5 I would enjoy running systematic experiments to figure it out for myself.

It's probably a bit more complex of a phenomenon that occurs in particular situations that are not yet fully understood. It seems like this is always the case when things are controversial like this. 

 

 

Although it may vary somewhat from camera to camera. Possibly a subtle vectoral property is involved. Maybe the orientation of some of the parts that that transmit the light have to do with how the problem expresses itself. Maybe happenstance orientation of some of the camera parts interact to create the problem.

Perhaps the phenomenon always occurs except when the photo is taken on a Sunday between 4:00 PM and 5:00 PM at a latitude of 33.6167

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #70 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

So, to clarify, you're defending the user who is a shill paid by Samsung to lie about Apple on Apple forums?


Defending. Just to clarify.

 

What ?

I suddenly become a paid shill by samsung ?

LMAO

 

I can not say anything against to apple because of this logic. LOL

post #71 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

Samsung has been working hard to copy the new purple haze for their new Galaxy S4

post #72 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

No, they're saying the lens of your 5 is shittier than that of the 4S, so watch where you point it.



Sorry, but those photos are useless. Lens flare is extremely depending on geometry. Even a couple of degree change in the angle can make it go away.

Look at the mountain and the trees. They changed their location significantly between the two pictures. There was also a significant time lapse (look at the way the clouds have moved).

It looks to me like someone took a bunch of pictures trying to find one on the 5 which had flare and the 4 which didn't - and these were the best they could find.

If you want to show that one is better or worse than the other. Do it from the same location, same angle, and same time. Otherwise, it's pointless - like 98% of the iHater attacks here.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #73 of 113

Just another example for discussion:  The picture on the left was taken with an iPhone 4S and on the right an iPhone 5.

 

P.S. for clarification these were taken from the same location and immediately after each other.  As far as angle goes I did my best.

 


Edited by donvreug - 10/7/12 at 5:55pm
post #74 of 113
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post
What ?

I suddenly become a paid shill by samsung ?

 

Certainly not!

You've always been one. Since your first post.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #75 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by donvreug View Post

Just another example for discussion:  The picture on the left was taken with an iPhone 4S and on the right an iPhone 5.

 

 

Whatever. Those are terrible photos which should be deleted within seconds of exposure. People taking shots indoors with mixed light have no case whatsoever. Either take shots in a studio and publish it with the full EXIF data or take shots outdoors and post some credentials that you have actual photographic training otherwise it is just so much trolling BS.

 

So far my iPhone 5 does not produce any unexpected purple even though I have tried to replicate the issue reported by others

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #76 of 113

Wow, I was merely trying to demonstrate the difference between the two phones in conditions that would potentially show the problem.

 

Some of you people really need to think before you type.

post #77 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by donvreug View Post

Wow, I was merely trying to demonstrate the difference between the two phones in conditions that would potentially show the problem.

 

Some of you people really need to think before you type.

Do you know anything about WB? You have sunlight leaking in from the blinds and compact fluorescent in the sconces. There is no digital camera on the planet that can deal with that. The fact that the 4s does not show as much purple as the 5 is irrelevant since the lighting is unprofessional.

 

Here is a very similar image I took one minute ago which does ironically have some daylight leakage as well and the iphone 5 is flawless.

 

 


Edited by mstone - 10/7/12 at 6:22pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #78 of 113

Obviously not as much as you.  Yes there is light leaking in, but there are no flourescents.

 

The conditions were chosen not to take a good picture but test the two cameras under the lighting conditions that may show the problem.

post #79 of 113

It's common sense that one should not let the sun or any light source onto the lens when taking photos.  I always cover the top of my camera with my hand or something to make sure that lights don't hit or reflect off of all the sensors on my digital camera. I've NEVER had any issue with purple fringe on any of my iPhone either.  Yes, I always create a nice shadow on the lens when I take photos.  They all came out beautifully!

post #80 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by donvreug View Post

Obviously not as much as you.  Yes there is light leaking in, but there are no flourescents.

 

The conditions were chosen not to take a good picture but test the two cameras under the lighting conditions that may show the problem.

Sorry. Those look like CF. What type of bulb is in the lighting?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple support document addresses iPhone 5 'purple haze'