or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple starts shipping first Lightning to 30-pin Adapter orders
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple starts shipping first Lightning to 30-pin Adapter orders

post #1 of 42
Thread Starter 
Apple on Monday sent out emails notifying a number of Australian customers that their Lightning to 30-pin Adapter orders had shipped, with an expected arrival date coming almost four weeks after sales of the iPhone 5 went live in September.

Lightning Adapter Shipment
Source: MacRumors


At least one buyer of Apple's new adapter, which is currently only compatible with the iPhone 5, told MacRumors that his shipment is due for delivery on Oct. 9, more than three weeks after the handset went up for preorder in mid-September.

According to Apple, the move away from the legacy 30-pin plug to the 80 percent-smaller proprietary Lightning connector was required to build devices as slim and compact as the iPhone 5 and products from the next-generation iPod line. To help ease the transition to the new format, which effectively renders nearly a decade's worth of "Made for iDevice" accessories obsolete, Apple is offering the $29 Lightning to 30-pin Adapter along with a $39 cabled version.

As first reported by AppleInsider, the reversible Lightning port dynamically assigns pins and uses only those signals required by a connected accessory, such as audio or USB data for a dock. The advanced protocol also carries authentication hardware, making it difficult for third-party manufacturers to build accessories without paying royalties to Apple.

It appears that Apple's Lightning adapters will be indispensable for users tied to their accessories for some time, as Apple is said to have made significant changes to the "Made for iPhone" rules expected to be presented in November, allowing little to no room for accessory makers to build new products before Christmas.
post #2 of 42
"Offered" is not the appropriate word, especially at that price...
Code:
<daydreams>And now I need to have my "Designed for iPhone" Rolls Royce serviced!</daydreams>

Edited by lightknight - 10/8/12 at 2:19am

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #3 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Monday sent out emails notifying a number of Australian customers that their Lightning to 30-pin Adapter orders had shipped [...]

 

HAD shipped?  So they were shipped at one point but now they aren't shipped anymore?  Or did you mean HAVE shipped?

post #4 of 42

It would be good if I can trade the unused charger I don't need for one of these, which I do need.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #5 of 42

$30 for a simple adapter is ridiculous (even with a dynamic control chip). I'm holding out for a third party solution, even if it takes until January.

post #6 of 42

I'm hoping to be one of those Australians, i haven't received an email yet...Soon 

post #7 of 42
Please let us know when they hit Apple retail stores.
post #8 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulrich View Post

$30 for a simple adapter is ridiculous (even with a dynamic control chip). I'm holding out for a third party solution, even if it takes until January.
I don't disagree about the price.

But you do realize that it has more than a DCC in it, right? It also has at least a DAC (digital to analogue) converter, and likely some other chips to convert the lighting signals.

That said, I am eager for the first teardown to find out exactly how much this item actually costs Apple to make (especially since it doesn't do video).
post #9 of 42
I have pre-ordered the adapter when I pre-ordered the iPhone 5. I got the phone alright, but I am really upset that i do not have the adapter for it. My gym equipment has the legacy 30-pin and w/o the converter i am not able to connect the phone. Same with the iHome stuff i have have at home. Why there is no good explanation for such a delay Apple? It's one thing to block the third party manufacturers (even these who would pay royalties) but please Apple, supply your own inventory in time! Fail!
post #10 of 42
I'm disappointed that the adapters weren't available upon launch of the phone. I have had to go without my accessories, including my iHome alarm clock, since my iPhone 5 arrived. Apple dropped the ball a little on this one... but at least some of the adapters are beginning to ship.
post #11 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

 

HAD shipped?  So they were shipped at one point but now they aren't shipped anymore?  Or did you mean HAVE shipped?

 

Dude...first, calm down.  Secondly, the article was written properly.  It started in the past tense, and stayed there.  Perfectly legit writing.  But by all means, go all CAPSUNDERLINEBOLD and freak out.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #12 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsmOfAm View Post

I have pre-ordered the adapter when I pre-ordered the iPhone 5. I got the phone alright, but I am really upset that i do not have the adapter for it. My gym equipment has the legacy 30-pin and w/o the converter i am not able to connect the phone. Same with the iHome stuff i have have at home. Why there is no good explanation for such a delay Apple? It's one thing to block the third party manufacturers (even these who would pay royalties) but please Apple, supply your own inventory in time! Fail!

I agree - shame it was not available at the launch of the iPhone 5 - I got around it with a bluetooth interface - that plugs into the dock connector where my old iP4S used to plug into - and I may keep the bluetooth - its more convenient than plugging my Phone in each time

post #13 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

 

Dude...first, calm down.  Secondly, the article was written properly.  It started in the past tense, and stayed there.  Perfectly legit writing.  But by all means, go all CAPSUNDERLINEBOLD and freak out.  

 

Actually it is not written properly.  "Had" refers to an event occurring before a subsequent event.  In the absence of a subsequent event (a change in shipping status) it is incorrect. In this context, "have" is still past tense.

 

It's a common error but still an error.  IT'S FREAKIN' ME OUT! :)

post #14 of 42

I received a ship notice via text message from Apple a few hours ago.  I ordered mine on the day of the iPhone announcement (September 12).  They were already available for pre-order from Apple that afternoon.  My Lightning USB cables arrived a day or two before my phone was delivered on the 19th.  Have been waiting for this one to use with my car charger.

post #15 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulrich View Post

$30 for a simple adapter is ridiculous (even with a dynamic control chip). I'm holding out for a third party solution, even if it takes until January.
I don't disagree about the price.

But you do realize that it has more than a DCC in it, right? It also has at least a DAC (digital to analogue) converter, and likely some other chips to convert the lighting signals.

That said, I am eager for the first teardown to find out exactly how much this item actually costs Apple to make (especially since it doesn't do video).

Why do people on this site feel the need to justify overpriced stuff that doesn't really need to be overpriced? It's not good design to move the conversion requirements to accessories, it only makes everything more expensive as functionality has to be replicated by each accessory. It's BAD DESIGN, you shouldn't be trying to justify it, it's not done with your interests as a customer in mind!
post #16 of 42
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
Why do people on this site feel the need to justify overpriced stuff that doesn't really need to be overpriced?

 

I don't know of anyone here that has ever justified Monster cables or solid gold, diamond-encrusted device cases.

 

And that's really all we talk about that could be considered overpriced.


It's not good design to move the conversion requirements to accessories…

 

Why?


…it only makes everything more expensive…

 

Really? That's the case (first)? And there are NO other possible benefits (second)? 

 

It's BAD DESIGN, you shouldn't be trying to justify it…

 

Can you justify whatever your alternative is?

post #17 of 42
Cheap alternative adapters that just work for charging is what I am waiting for.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #18 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Can you justify whatever your alternative is?
I'll give you a hint: it's got 30 pins, can only be inserted one way, has been in use by Apple for over a decade, and it can accommodate any configuration of signals anybody can imagine, unlike apparently the new 8-pin dock connector for some reason.
post #19 of 42
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post
I'll give you a hint: it's got 30 pins, can only be inserted one way, has been in use by Apple for over a decade, and it can accommodate any configuration of signals anybody can imagine, unlike apparently the new 8-pin dock connector for some reason.

 

So sticking with 8" floppy drives carried between office cubicles when gigabit Internet exists. Got it!

post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So sticking with 8" floppy drives carried between office cubicles when gigabit Internet exists. Got it!

 

That's not an oranges-to-oranges comparison though.  Gigabit vs. floppy offers advantages in speed, convenience, space and capacity.  So far the Lightning connector seems to be smaller but somewhat LESS capable than what it replaces.  I'm sure alternative methods and technologies will mitigate any short-term disruption, but the point still stands.

post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't know of anyone here that has ever justified Monster cables or solid gold, diamond-encrusted device cases.

Neither do I, and that's not what I'm talking about, either. I can, however, understand that your limited brain can't imagine anything else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why?

I've explained it already, but since you're kinda dense, let me try again. If your iDevice converts the output itself, the accessories won't have to do it themselves. Since people are more likely to buy accessories than iDevices (especially since each iDevice comes with at least one accessory -- the charger), it makes more sense to keep the common complexities in the iDevice rather than requiring every accessory to replicate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Really? That's the case (first)? And there are NO other possible benefits (second)? 

There is one benefit: the connector is smaller and plugs both ways; that's insignificant.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Can you justify whatever your alternative is?

Yes, it has a lot more conductors (meaning more versatility), it supports direct AV output, and it has a boatload of accessories available for it.
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So sticking with 8" floppy drives carried between office cubicles when gigabit Internet exists. Got it!

Yes, and the Internet is crap because you can transfer a lot more information over great distances using mass storage media.

If you want to be taken seriously, stop trolling.
post #23 of 42
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
Neither do I, and that's not what I'm talking about, either. I can, however, understand that your limited brain can't imagine anything else...
I've explained it already, but since you're kinda dense, let me try again.

 

I'm 50/50 about infracting this… I'll decide later.


If your iDevice converts the output itself, the accessories won't have to do it themselves.

 

Okay, and what benefit does this create?


Since people are more likely to buy accessories than iDevices…

 

Sounds kind of silly since the former is useless without the latter.


…it makes more sense to keep the common complexities in the iDevice rather than requiring every accessory to replicate it.

 

Does it? Why?


There is one benefit: the connector is smaller and plugs both ways; that's insignificant.

 

Pretty significant in a world where USB looks the same on both sides but doesn't operate the same. Pretty significant when the original connector was a limiting factor in the dimensions of the products in question, but now no longer is.


Yes, it has a lot more conductors (meaning more versatility), it supports direct AV output, and it has a boatload of accessories available for it.

 

So did the Charleville musket, but eventually people stopped using it and began to use breech-loaded rifles due to their immeasurable superiority.


Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
Yes, and the Internet is crap because you can transfer a lot more information over great distances using mass storage media.

 

Really? You can mail hard drives more cheaply than gigabit Internet? REALLY

post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm 50/50 about infracting this… I'll decide later.

It's called Dunning–Kruger effect, it's natural for you to be unaware of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay, and what benefit does this create?

Makes accessory development trivial, ergo cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sounds kind of silly since the former is useless without the latter.

You buy N accessories for one phone, not N phones for one accessory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Does it? Why?

Because otherwise they have to be replicated in every accessory, I've already explained this; why don't you read what you reply to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Pretty significant in a world where USB looks the same on both sides but doesn't operate the same. Pretty significant when the original connector was a limiting factor in the dimensions of the products in question, but now no longer is.

How USB operates is completely beyond the physical properties of the connector; I don't understand why you keep bringing this up without any evidence to back up your claims. Beyond that, did anyone ask for a thinner phone? Did anyone ask for a new connector? I don't think so, the Lightning Connector was an afterthought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So did the Charleville musket, but eventually people stopped using it and began to use breech-loaded rifles due to their immeasurable superiority.

I've already mentioned this several times, but you don't seem to learn, which is why I've concluded that you're just dense, so here it goes once again: Analogies are fallacious due to inferring from the particular to the particular. Don't ever use them in arguments with me, it's a waste of time. Oh, and by the way, please stop quoting me out of context, because that's a fallacy, too. You are forcing me to repeat myself simply because you're quoting parts of my paragraphs rather than reading them in their entirety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Really? You can mail hard drives more cheaply than gigabit Internet? REALLY

The Internet is not Gigabit Ethernet.

By the way, I took a screenshot of the thread. Do something against me and I'll push as hard as I possibly can to have your moderation privileges removed. My bookmarks are full of evidence against you since our first discussion, so just give me the reason to start!
post #25 of 42
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
You buy N accessories for one phone, not N phones for one accessory.

 

Funny, that… seems to be what Europe wants, and toward what all other manufacturers are striving, but with a woefully substandard port. Kind of like you're wanting with Dock Connector.

 

Because otherwise they have to be replicated in every accessory, I've already explained this; why don't you read what you reply to?

 

And you believe this is bad simply because the complexity is unneeded, yes, yes. You haven't given any meaningful explanation as to what gives you the right to speak on the complexity at all, much less its necessity.

 

How USB operates is completely beyond the physical properties of the connector

 

These are consumer products. People shouldn't have to care how it works as long as it works. Ergo, the easiest way to make sure it works is to make the port a circle. Since that can't be done, rotational symmetry is a step up from none whatsoever.

 

I don't understand why you keep bringing this up without any evidence to back up your claims.

 

I could say the same about you and price (and the "lack of any real benefits") here.

 

 

Beyond that, did anyone ask for a thinner phone? Did anyone ask for a new connector?

 

 

What's your point? You're acting as though you need an iPhone to live, much less work. Buy something else if this doesn't float your boat. Enough people think like you do and society will collapse Apple will change things back or to something you want.


I don't think so, the Lightning Connector was an afterthought.

 

And with no proof of this, your record for making crap up remains untarnished.

 

I've already mentioned this several times, but you don't seem to learn, which is why I've concluded that you're just dense, so here it goes once again: Analogies are fallacious due to inferring from the particular to the particular. Don't ever use them in arguments with me, it's a waste of time.
 

"Analogies are fallacious because I have no rebuttal to them and can't even point out their flaws, if there were any." That's a pretty good one. Do another! Oh, wait, you already have. 


You are forcing me to repeat myself simply because you're quoting parts of my paragraphs rather than reading them in their entirety.

 

Hilarity. Ever heard the old adage, "All your carefully crafted arguments can easily be ignored?" If I had no valid points, you'd ignore me or be able to give me the evidence I need to stop arguing. There's no 'forcing' anywhere.


The Internet is not Gigabit Ethernet.

 

O… kay? Guess Google really isn't going to offer Gigabit speeds, then. They must be lying or something. Certainly not out of character for them, but when it's something hardware-based, it's much harder to get away with it.

 

Do something against me and I'll push as hard as I possibly can to have your moderation privileges removed. My bookmarks are full of evidence against you since our first discussion, so just give me the reason to start!
 

So we can consider this a threat, then? lol.gif

post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

If your iDevice converts the output itself, the accessories won't have to do it themselves. Since people are more likely to buy accessories than iDevices (especially since each iDevice comes with at least one accessory -- the charger), it makes more sense to keep the common complexities in the iDevice rather than requiring every accessory to replicate it..
So nothing like USB, which requires every device attached to it to replicate the same features already built into a computer?

So it makes more sense, for example, for Apple to put the best D/A audio converter available in the iPhone, even if the best converter won't fit in the device without making it bigger and more expensive, than to leave the choice of quality up to the third party dock maker and pass the cost along accordingly? Likewise for every function a person might want to split out from the iDevice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Yes, it has a lot more conductors (meaning more versatility), it supports direct AV output, and it has a boatload of accessories available for it.
Well then, we should scrap MagSafe, USB, FireWire, Ethernet and Thunderbolt and go back to the 250-pin docking connector Apple used on the Duo series in the early 90s ... I mean why have five separate connectors on a Mac when one highly versatile connector can do it all?

The only reason the dock connector supports AV output, is because Apple supports it on the iDevices. So again, see my rebuttals above regarding quality of components. Further dock makers are then reliant on Apple to support their hardware, even when it is logical that Apple may routinely change the specifications of their equipment creating incompatibilities. So why not just take Apple out of the equation for the accessory maker? Seems like everybody will be happier.

And having a boatload of accessories available for it is kinda like saying the Android has a boatload of Apps available for it. It's all great until you actually start to use them and find most are cheap crap, not compatible with every iDevice, or designed to Apple's specifications.
post #27 of 42
$29.99 is a little steep, I could see them charging around $14.99.
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Funny, that… seems to be what Europe wants, and toward what all other manufacturers are striving, but with a woefully substandard port. Kind of like you're wanting with Dock Connector.

Substandard? MicroUSB IS the standard! If you're removing the analog ports, might as well switch to that! The Dock Connector made sense because it was superior; the Lightning Connector lost the advantage, so it's just a proprietary plug for the sake of it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And you believe this is bad simply because the complexity is unneeded, yes, yes. You haven't given any meaningful explanation as to what gives you the right to speak on the complexity at all, much less its necessity.

Why would I need a right to speak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

These are consumer products. People shouldn't have to care how it works as long as it works. Ergo, the easiest way to make sure it works is to make the port a circle. Since that can't be done, rotational symmetry is a step up from none whatsoever.

In the other hand you're making the port smaller, thus harder to connect, in addition to rendering people's accessories completely useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I could say the same about you and price (and the "lack of any real benefits") here.

No you couldn't, because you've already agreed about the complexity and you've already agreed about the loss of functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What's your point? You're acting as though you need an iPhone to live, much less work. Buy something else if this doesn't float your boat. Enough people think like you do and society will collapse Apple will change things back or to something you want.

My point is that things don't need to change unless they're broken, especially if the change is to worse. I would have accepted a change to MicroUSB, because at least that's standard, but this doesn't even have that advantage, it was not designed with the consumers in mind. Finally, just because I have arguments against it, doesn't mean I'm not jumping ship, I can do both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And with no proof of this, your record for making crap up remains untarnished.

While I don't have irrefutable proof, I do have some evidence of this. The iPhone 4S and iPad 3G were launched with the unique ability to stream HDMI video, and as a result, an HDMI adapter was also released. Less than a year later, the Dock Connector is replaced with the Lightning Connector without any alternative accessories in the market to support it, and I'm not just talking about the HDMI Adapter, I'm talking about the entire range of first-party accessories Apple still sells, so apparently it wasn't a problem to release a product with a Dock Connector back in March, but apparently it is so much of a problem now that they're switching their entire product range over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hilarity. Ever heard the old adage, "All your carefully crafted arguments can easily be ignored?" If I had no valid points, you'd ignore me or be able to give me the evidence I need to stop arguing. There's no 'forcing' anywhere.

And I have given you the evidence you need: you are resorting to informal logic in order to subvert the discussion. I have pointed out your fallacies, have I not? Why didn't you stop arguing? Could it be that you're just trolling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

O… kay? Guess Google really isn't going to offer Gigabit speeds, then. They must be lying or something. Certainly not out of character for them, but when it's something hardware-based, it's much harder to get away with it.

That is an inference from the particular to the general, another fallacy. See? I keep demonstrating why you arguments are invalid, but you never seem to stop coming back with the same kind of argument over and over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So we can consider this a threat, then? lol.gif

Yes, you can. Mark my words on that. I may not be able to achieve anything, though usually I'm quite convincing when it comes to this stuff, so please, just try.
post #29 of 42
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
Substandard? MicroUSB IS the standard!

 

And as a worse port than Lightning, it is being superseded with another standard.

 

Why would I need a right to speak?

 

I just mean if you've any engineering experience in this regard or in others such that you'd know what you're talking about here.

 

In the other hand you're making the port smaller, thus harder to connect

 

That doesn't follow.

 

No you couldn't, because you've already agreed about the complexity and you've already agreed about the loss of functionality.

 

Not really.

 

My point is that things don't need to change unless they're broken

 

So if you were in charge, we'd still be using bronze tools. Check.

 

…this doesn't even have that advantage, it was not designed with the consumers in mind.

 

HA! MicroUSB designed with "customers" in mind! Oh, that's rich. Oh, and by the way, if "smaller means harder to plug in", then MicroUSB must be the second-hardest plug of all. 

 

Finally, just because I have arguments against it, doesn't mean I'm not jumping ship, I can do both.

 

By accepting its existence, you render your entire argument moot. 

 

That is an inference from the particular to the general, another fallacy. See?

 

I specifically said "gigabit Internet" in my analogy. If you'd read it, you'd see we're right where we left off. See?

 

I keep demonstrating why you arguments are invalid…
 

Funny, you've given zero evidence as to this, just your own inferences backed with nothing. 


Yes, you can. Mark my words on that.

 

Okay, now I have to decide whether to infract this, too.

post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And as a worse port than Lightning, it is being superseded with another standard.

Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I just mean if you've any engineering experience in this regard or in others such that you'd know what you're talking about here.

This is an ad hominem fallacy, you are attacking the poster rather than the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That doesn't follow.

Of course it does! Remember our argument about the iPad dock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not really.

Yes, really! Remember our argument about the potential loss of analog AV where you suggested a $1k alternative to what the iPhone 4S and iPad 3G give for free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So if you were in charge, we'd still be using bronze tools. Check.

That's an inference from the particular to the particular fallacy. You are incorrectly assuming that the conditions are the same in both cases in an attempt to subvert the discussion without any logical base to deduce or even induce from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

HA! MicroUSB designed with "customers" in mind! Oh, that's rich. Oh, and by the way, if "smaller means harder to plug in", then MicroUSB must be the second-hardest plug of all.

That's a straw man fallacy. You are misrepresenting my position and attacking that misrepresentation in a failed attempt to subvert the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

By accepting its existence, you render your entire argument moot.

What do you mean by "its existence"? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I specifically said "gigabit Internet" in my analogy. If you'd read it, you'd see we're right where we left off. See?

And I was making a purposely fallacious and sarcastic counter-argument using another analogy in hopes that you'd get it. Funny how you can spot the informal logic in my analogy but not in yours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay, now I have to decide whether to infract this, too.

Go right ahead, give me even more ammo to take you down!
post #31 of 42
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
This is an ad hominem fallacy, you are attacking the poster rather than the post.

 

Since you've provided no actual evidence about the hardware itself that would lend your position any legitimacy, I was hoping you'd have a background in this sort of thing to explain why you think what you think. Guess not.


Of course it does! Remember our argument about the iPad dock?

 

Smaller port ≠ harder to dock.

 

Remember our argument about the potential loss of analog AV where you suggested a $1k alternative to what the iPhone 4S and iPad 3G give for free?

 

No. I'll suggest a $99 alternative, though.

post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Since you've provided no actual evidence about the hardware itself that would lend your position any legitimacy, I was hoping you'd have a background in this sort of thing to explain why you think what you think. Guess not.

The burden of proof is on you, since you're the one making the claim that the physical properties of the connector are relevant to the implementation of new USB standards when there is absolutely no reason to believe so. Using your informal logic to excuse your informal logic won't get you anywhere in this argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Smaller port ≠ harder to dock.

Currently you have to "guess" where the hell the port is since the iPad doesn't just "fit in". With the smaller port, that'll be even worse since there will be less margin for error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No. I'll suggest a $99 alternative, though.

Here you agreed that I'd probably have to buy a $10 adapter, implying that even you think $30 is overpriced. Here you suggested a $1k alternative to address the potential loss of analog AV output. I take it that you have either bad or selective memory, but I don't.
post #33 of 42
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
…implying that even you think $30 is overpriced. 

 

Nope. Try again. I like that you're pointing out all these "fallacies" and then make one of your own.


Here you suggested a $1k alternative to address the potential loss of analog AV output.

 

Yep. That's called 'what happens when you want to use archaic tech when modern solutions exist'. Pretty sure that if you wanted to build a clipper ship, it'd be cheaper to amass and construct one with modern materials instead of in the style of a 19th century ship. And here, I'll get ahead of you on that one:

 

"BUT THAT REMOVES FUNCTIONALITY"


I take it that you have either bad or selective memory, but I don't.

 

Absolutely wretched. But thanks for rubbing in the fact that yesterday feels like a month ago. 

post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope. Try again. I like that you're pointing out all these "fallacies" and then make one of your own.

It is a fact that the price is three times higher than your expectations, thus making it overpriced to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yep. That's called 'what happens when you want to use archaic tech when modern solutions exist'. Pretty sure that if you wanted to build a clipper ship, it'd be cheaper to amass and construct one with modern materials instead of in the style of a 19th century ship. And here, I'll get ahead of you on that one:

"BUT THAT REMOVES FUNCTIONALITY"
Quote:
I take it that you have either bad or selective memory, but I don't.

Absolutely wretched. But thanks for rubbing in the fact that yesterday feels like a month ago. 

Thanks for this, it proves I was right when I said that you agreed about the complexity and loss of functionality despite your attempt to deny it. I can make your selective memory work against you. You've just validated my point and exposed yourself as a bigot.

EDIT: Violated - validated.
Edited by Vaelian - 10/9/12 at 12:12pm
post #35 of 42
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
It is a fact that the price is three times higher than your expectations, thus making it overpriced to you.

 

Ha. You keep thinking that's the case and that you know what the word means.

 

Thanks for this, it proves I was right when I said that you agreed about the complexity and loss of functionality
 

You'll have to cut it down to the meaningful bits. I said it's probably complex. I don't get how that helps your point. And I don't see where I said anything about loss of functionality… wait for it… that helps your position. I've already covered your position, in the post you quoted in that link, as a matter of fact.

post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ha. You keep thinking that's the case and that you know what the word means.

So what does the word mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You'll have to cut it down to the meaningful bits. I said it's probably complex. I don't get how that helps your point. And I don't see where I said anything about loss of functionality… wait for it… that helps your position. I've already covered your position, in the post you quoted in that link, as a matter of fact.

Oh, no problem, here you go:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

No you couldn't, because you've already agreed about the complexity and you've already agreed about the loss of functionality.

Not really.

I took the liberty to add a link to my post in your quote of my other post since you didn't have one; this makes referring back to the original posts easier.
post #37 of 42
ILounge has already received theirs and verified its functionality ...

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-lightning-to-30-pin-adapter/

Now somebody TEAR THIS THING DOWN ALREADY!!!!

(Video adapters coming ... http://dvice.com/archives/2012/09/why-apples-new.php )
post #38 of 42
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
So what does the word mean?

 

Means just that. Feel free to go back and find where I said (didn't happen; don't bother) I wouldn't pay for it at $30 or at any price higher than $10. I vaguely recall saying that it might be nice if it was $15 or something, but I didn't complain about the price as-is. It'd also be nice if I could get a Tesla X for $10,000.

 

Oh, no problem, here you go:
 

Oh, come on, not that! Oh, boy… I'll just start over. 

 

Yeah, the thing's more complex than Dock Connector. It has to be, as it is handling orientation and possibly the data that moves through it. This allows the port to be backward compatible with existing stuff while affording it the ability to be compatible with USB 3, Thunderbolt, and ports as yet unimagined. It's built "future-proof" from the start!

 

Lightning is the port for the next ten years. Ten years ago, did you know about Thunderbolt or USB 3? What about the most modern HDMI standard? Can you not admit that making Lightning just a conduit for data (the concept) instead of assigning it specific "data" tied to fast-moving standards—outdating and bloating it by the end of its run—was a good idea?

post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Means just that. Feel free to go back and find where I said (didn't happen; don't bother) I wouldn't pay for it at $30 or at any price higher than $10. I vaguely recall saying that it might be nice if it was $15 or something, but I didn't complain about the price as-is. It'd also be nice if I could get a Tesla X for $10,000.

Except it has nothing to do with complaints but rather with expectations. Clearly $30 is too expensive for what you were expecting, you can simply not deny this, thus it follows that to you the adapter is overpriced. Not admitting it makes you a bigot in denial, nothing else, because it's factual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, come on, not that! Oh, boy… I'll just start over.

You sure love to be humiliated! I'm gonna save this thread to show the world how incompetent you really re.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Lightning is the port for the next ten years. Ten years ago, did you know about Thunderbolt or USB 3? What about the most modern HDMI standard? Can you not admit that making Lightning just a conduit for data (the concept) instead of assigning it specific "data" tied to fast-moving standards—outdating and bloating it by the end of its run—was a good idea?

Everything you mentioned can be implemented on the Dock Connector just as easily. If you disagree, you have burden of proof, so either stop posting bullshit or post your evidence.
post #40 of 42
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
Clearly $30 is too expensive for what you were expecting, you can simply not deny this, thus it follows that to you the adapter is overpriced. Not admitting it makes you a bigot in denial, nothing else, because it's factual.

 

I love that you think you can tell me what I was thinking. It's pathetic.

 

Everything you mentioned can be implemented on the Dock Connector just as easily.
 

I'd ask for proof of this, as I have many times, but you refuse to give it, so I won't bother. No, you have the burden of proof. You can't just say whatever you want and have it be taken as law simply because you were first to say it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple starts shipping first Lightning to 30-pin Adapter orders