or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'iPhone 5 fever' sweeps Hong Kong as mainland China awaits Apple's launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'iPhone 5 fever' sweeps Hong Kong as mainland China awaits Apple's launch

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
Stores in Hong Kong remain sold out of Apple's iPhone 5 as overwhelming demand continues. That's expected to spread soon to mainland China, as carrier China Unicom is said to be gearing up for the iPhone 5 launch.

The details come from analyst Brian White with Topeka Capital Markets, who is currently touring the region. He said all of the stores he has visited in Hong Kong were sold out of the iPhone 5, and described the city as having "iPhone 5 fever."

"At Apple's retail store, the iPhone 5 can be ordered online and a lottery process determines who is eligible for pickup at the store the next day," he wrote. "Based on our conversations, you might have a better shot at winning the lottery than getting the iPhone 5 the next day."

Meanwhile, China Unicom is said to have sold out completely of the iPhone 4S at some of its stores. That's because the carrier is looking to "avoid an inventory situation ahead of the iPhone 5 launch" in December, White said.

Unboxed


The iPhone has room to grow in China, as Apple's handset currently represents about 15 percent of the nation's smartphone market. The company is also addressing only about a third of the nation's subscriber base, China Unicom and China Telecom. A deal with China Mobile, which is the world's largest carrier with 688 million subscribers, has been rumored for years but never come to fruition.

The iPhone 5 launched in Hong Kong and 8 other countries on September 21. By December, the iPhone 5 will be available in a total of 100 countries with 240 carriers.
post #2 of 31

No, this is wrong. They've "moved on" from the iPhone in Asia.

 

Right? Right?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #3 of 31
This article is bs. How can someone come in from outside of HK and know what's happening locally in terms of sales.

In Hong Kong the only reason all Apple stores are sold out is because it is NOT FOR SALE! In the store. As the grey market last year spoil the normal way of purchasing an iPhone, there is a lottery system whereby you can only purchase an iPhone 5 this way. It's to deter the grey market buyers who tries with every release to purchase as many iPhones as they can and makes profit in between to sell to users in China for triple the price.

I don't think it's really selling hot in Hong Kong. On the trains every day I see only 4S or Samsung S3 or Note users. I rarely see someone with an iPhone 5.
post #4 of 31
Originally Posted by moustache View Post
I don't think it's really selling hot in Hong Kong. On the trains every day I see only 4S or Samsung S3 or Note users. I rarely see someone with an iPhone 5.

 

Been out for 17 days…

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #5 of 31
I am pretty sure the article lists the wrong date for availability in Hong Kong. I recall it launching on the 21st as part of the first wave.
post #6 of 31
They shipped only a few thousend iPhones to China, to keep the demand artificially high, like they do it all the time!
Edited by Rabbit_Coach - 10/8/12 at 10:26am
post #7 of 31
So the stock goes down.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by moustache View Post

In Hong Kong the only reason all Apple stores are sold out is because it is NOT FOR SALE! In the store. As the grey market last year spoil the normal way of purchasing an iPhone, there is a lottery system whereby you can only purchase an iPhone 5 this way.

Well it is sold via the stores but you are correct that anyone just walking in will be told they are sold out since the lottery has taken all the units.

It's the same in the US right now at most of the stores. Personal pickup every night consumes the stock that comes in every day.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So the stock goes down.

I can see it's at 700 again. This is the great time to buy.
post #10 of 31

Apple Hong Kong had to set up a lottery system to determine which of the millions of preorders to fulfill each day - clear evidence of how terrible the product is and how the brainwashed masses are being fooled by Apple into throwing away their hard earned cash on a something so inferior to (fill in the blank). lol.gif

 

Sorry, just been seeing way to many comments (on many sites) from folks who just don't get it and accuse any one of choosing to use an Apple branded product as somehow less than themselves because they chose to spend their hard earned cash on a product that is so clearly superior in every possible way that they maker's of those products come by every night to tuck them in a read them a bed time story about how the Big Bad Jobs won't ever take away the removable battery in their (fill in non-Apple product here). 

post #11 of 31

First bird flu, now "iPhone 5 fever". Will Hong Kong ever be spared epidemics???

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #12 of 31
Hmm.

"Fever" in a story about Asia.

Hmm.
post #13 of 31
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post
I can see it's at 700 again. This is the great time to buy.

 

You mean nearly 600.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Apple Hong Kong had to set up a lottery system to determine which of the millions of preorders to fulfill each day - clear evidence of how terrible the product is and how the brainwashed masses are being fooled by Apple into throwing away their hard earned cash on a something so inferior to (fill in the blank). lol.gif

 

Sorry, just been seeing way to many comments (on many sites) from folks who just don't get it and accuse any one of choosing to use an Apple branded product as somehow less than themselves because they chose to spend their hard earned cash on a product that is so clearly superior in every possible way that they maker's of those products come by every night to tuck them in a read them a bed time story about how the Big Bad Jobs won't ever take away the removable battery in their (fill in non-Apple product here). 

How true, so many companies were all over this when the first phone came out and said that alone will cause it to be a failure, only to see most new phones are going the same way, The fact a phone has a removable batteries today means it is a failure since it means you have to replace batteries during the day. No need to remove a battery if it last all day long.

post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

You mean nearly 600.

Well according to that guy Kass Apple "topped" at 90!.... and then 130, and then in the 200's and then 300 and then....

 

:D

post #16 of 31

People in Hong Kong have reported yellow heugh instead of purple on their cameras.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So the stock goes down.

 

Down from the recent high of $705.00

 

Those shorts are really doing an impressive hatchet job.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

People in Hong Kong have reported yellow heugh instead of purple on their cameras.

Didn't they tell you to never eat yellow-hued iphones?

post #19 of 31
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
Down from the recent high of $705.00

 

Those shorts are really doing an impressive hatchet job.

 

Don't you understand; Apple is doomed! This is just the middle of the end! The stock will plummet until even Nokia is laughing at its price!

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Don't you understand; Apple is doomed! This is just the middle of the end! The stock will plummet until even Nokia is laughing at its price!

 

Heh...

 

Well, if it continues it's freefall, I may even be convinced to buy more.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #21 of 31

Now they'll be able to take stunning photos of their protests against the mainland.

post #22 of 31
iPhone 5 is being supplied in volume to thousands of carrier shops all around Hong Kong. It might be a little tough getting one at Smartone, being the only carrier supporting 4G LTE at launch, but you can literally walk into any 3HK shop and walk out with an iPhone 5 in ten minutes. And 3HK will be fully 800MHz LTE ready by the end of the year.

The iPhone 5 is far from being "sold out" in Hong Kong. The carrier free iPhone 5 is in highly limited demand, but at least it's sold here, unlike in the US.
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The iPhone 5 is far from being "sold out" in Hong Kong. The carrier free iPhone 5 is in highly limited demand, but at least it's sold here, unlike in the US.

What do you mean? Isn't the carrier-free being sold in Apple stores in the US (not online)?
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

iPhone 5 is being supplied in volume to thousands of carrier shops all around Hong Kong. It might be a little tough getting one at Smartone, being the only carrier supporting 4G LTE at launch, but you can literally walk into any 3HK shop and walk out with an iPhone 5 in ten minutes. And 3HK will be fully 800MHz LTE ready by the end of the year.
The iPhone 5 is far from being "sold out" in Hong Kong. The carrier free iPhone 5 is in highly limited demand, but at least it's sold here, unlike in the US.

Also, I thought all iPhones sold in HK were unlocked?
post #25 of 31
Originally Posted by AIA View Post
What do you mean? Isn't the carrier-free being sold in Apple stores in the US (not online)?

 

Supposedly, but I haven't heard anything hard about that yet.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #26 of 31

If the top three carriers China Mobile, China Unicom, and China Telecom all offer iPhone5... brace for a round of sales records.... living in China for many years, apple fever is high behind the great wall.

mmmmmmmmmmmm....

Reply

mmmmmmmmmmmm....

Reply
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIA View Post

Also, I thought all iPhones sold in HK were unlocked?
They are, but except for the Apple Store lottery described above, all iPhone 5s are sold either on contract, or on the gray market for double the retail price. You're not locked by hardware, but you'll be locked into a 24 month contract anyway.

I extended my contract at 3 for 25 months (+1 month for Liquipel) so I've sold my soul to 3 until November 2015!

The ETF is the full amount due on contract, so it doesn't make any sense to get a phone from one carrier for use on another.
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Supposedly, but I haven't heard anything hard about that yet.

 

This poster claims to have purchased one.

 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/152924/non-contract-at-t-iphone-5s-can-reportedly-be-unlocked-via-itunes#post_2199464

post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post


They are, but except for the Apple Store lottery described above, all iPhone 5s are sold either on contract, or on the gray market for double the retail price. You're not locked by hardware, but you'll be locked into a 24 month contract anyway.
I extended my contract at 3 for 25 months (+1 month for Liquipel) so I've sold my soul to 3 until November 2015!
The ETF is the full amount due on contract, so it doesn't make any sense to get a phone from one carrier for use on another.

 

Got it, so the unsubsidized phones are still in short supply.

post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by moustache View Post

This article is bs. How can someone come in from outside of HK and know what's happening locally in terms of sales.
In Hong Kong the only reason all Apple stores are sold out is because it is NOT FOR SALE! In the store. As the grey market last year spoil the normal way of purchasing an iPhone, there is a lottery system whereby you can only purchase an iPhone 5 this way. It's to deter the grey market buyers who tries with every release to purchase as many iPhones as they can and makes profit in between to sell to users in China for triple the price.
I don't think it's really selling hot in Hong Kong. On the trains every day I see only 4S or Samsung S3 or Note users. I rarely see someone with an iPhone 5.

Excuse me "Mr. Hong Kong Expert" but it is only the Apple stores that have the lottery system. The carriers and other partners don't and they have been sold too. Did you maybe stop to think that the reason you're not seeing them is because they are sold out and have only been on sale a few days? Duh!
post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wok Toss View Post

If the top three carriers China Mobile, China Unicom, and China Telecom all offer iPhone5... brace for a round of sales records.... living in China for many years, apple fever is high behind the great wall.

totally agree, i can say most of my suppliers who are Chinese are using iPhones mostly… everywhere you go in china in downtown place you will find iPhones… can't wait for iPhone 5 launching on china mobile as ifixit's teardown shows that qualcomm chip is having td-scdma radio for 3g service. 

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Reply

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • 'iPhone 5 fever' sweeps Hong Kong as mainland China awaits Apple's launch
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'iPhone 5 fever' sweeps Hong Kong as mainland China awaits Apple's launch