or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Mac mini supply drying up, could signal Ivy Bridge update

Mac mini supply drying up, could signal Ivy Bridge update

post #1 of 169
With the Mac mini still waiting for an update to Intel's latest Ivy Bridge chips, supply of the diminutive desktop has begun to dwindle at various resellers.

Numerous sellers found in the AppleInsider Mac Price Guide are currently out of stock of the Mac mini. Specifically, for the 2.3-gigahertz model, stock-outs are seen at Amazon, MacConnection, and J&R, while the 2.5-gigahertz option is unavailable at Amazon, MacMall, MacConnection and J&R.

Supply of the Mac mini Server with a 2-gigahertz Core i7 process is also running dry, as Amazon advertised as of Monday that it only has a few units left in stock, while MacMall and MacConnection are currently sold out.

In addition, Macerkopf.de noted on Monday that supply of the Mac mini has also begun to run dry in Germany. Apple typically winds down its inventory ahead of a new product launch, and limited supply at third-party resellers is often one of the first signs that a hardware refresh is forthcoming.

Mac mini

However, supply fluctuations are not always a sign that a hardware refresh is imminent. For example, Apple's iMac has seen its availability remain constrained off and on since July, but the all-in-one desktop has not yet been updated.

An updated Mac mini was not listed by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo among the eight new products Apple is rumored to launch this fall. However, he did indicate that Apple is planning to debut a new 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display, as well as redesigned 21.5- and 27-inch iMacs.

Apple last updated the Mac mini in July of 2011, adding support for the high-speed Thunderbolt port while ditching the built-in optical disc drive that had been found on previous models. The current Mac mini lineup starts at $599 and features Intel's previous-generation Sandy Bridge processors.
post #2 of 169

Can someone explain to me why a Mac Mini is better than an iMac?  I'm genuinely curious.

Hope it's true, though. I see that many, many people have been waiting on this.

EDIT: The analyst has been wrong on 3 out of 4, so far.  Why's he worth quoting?  lol.gif

post #3 of 169
2 months ago we heard the iMac supply was drying up and- nothing. Maybe Apple is just for iThingys and laptops now.
post #4 of 169
It isn't better than an iMac for my needs/wants. I'd rather have the AIO with the 27" display.
Edited by Fishyesque - 10/8/12 at 11:52am
post #5 of 169

It's only better than an iMac if it suits your needs better.  I want a Mini for a home server and media device.  Ben waiting for an update a long time.

post #6 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Can someone explain to me why a Mac Mini is better than an iMac?  I'm genuinely curious.

EDIT: The analyst has been wrong on 3 out of 4, so far.  Why's he worth quoting?  lol.gif

It is a good value for some people.  I have a nice Apple monitor and I don't do anything that requires much computing

power, so a Mini suits me fine, for example.

Being wrong 3 out of 4 might place this analyst among the better ones, when it comes to Apple.

post #7 of 169
Apples lack of updates on their entire desktop line is ridiculous, you can forgive them for not following the 3-6 month schedule of their competitors but 18 months + takes the piss.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #8 of 169
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post
It isn't better than an iMac.

It certainly can be. Depends on your use case. 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #9 of 169
I've been waiting for a mini update for awhile now. I have a 2005 iMac that is getting long in the tooth, but I'm trying to use it as long as I can for what I paid for it.

When the new mini comes out, I plan on getting that plus the Thunderbolt Display. With the lower cost for the computer itself, I'd be much more likely to upgrade every few years than every seven.

I'm hoping that there'll be a whole "mini event" where the new iPad is released and this gets a significant update as well.
post #10 of 169
iMac: 18 months old already, and the processor they're rumored to be putting in to the next update is already nearly 8 months old.
post #11 of 169
Originally Posted by MacGizmo View Post
iMac: 18 months old already, and the processor they're rumored to be putting in to the next update is already nearly 8 months old.

Many of us are thinking Haswell at this point.

post #12 of 169
Quote:

You might as well ask why a pickup truck is better than a convertible?

They're entirely different computers. The iMac is an all-in-one where everything is in one box. The Mini does not include a monitor and is generally an entry-level machine with moderate performance.

Which one is better depends on your budget, your needs, whether you have a monitor already, and so on.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #13 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

It's only better than an iMac if it suits your needs better.  I want a Mini for a home server and media device.  Ben waiting for an update a long time.

tru dat.

I do iMac's for my mother (80 year old touch typist) and for my mother in law, and iPad for my father (82yo who can barely run the microwave).  My wife is a MacBook, and I'm a Mac Mini with a 24" 2550x1100 screen, which is doing home automation and file serving as well as being my desk device, with a MBP for on the road work.  I'm finding that with AirPlay, my iPad is becoming my media device (with FileBrowser back to my mini's Torrent [ssshhhh!] sink).

post #14 of 169

But Intel has stated Haswell won't be ready until March or April of next year. That would (obviously) mean it won't be in any Mac update this year; unless Apple has struck a deal with Intel for early access to the chips.

So either there is no update coming this year, or we'll get a minor update with 8-month old chips - then get a full redesign next year with new chips, etc.

Either way, frustrating.

post #15 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It certainly can be. Depends on your use case. 

*Edited original post

post #16 of 169
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post
*Edited original post

There you go! Exactly.

post #17 of 169

It's probably all psychological, but I've always felt like the iMac gives you more bang for your buck. Nowadays though, there's little bang at all.

Eventually they'll get updated...

Eventually.

post #18 of 169

Personally, I'm buying the next Mini (Still got 2 20 inch cinema displays that I brought with my PowerMac G5). Since ML seems to want computers with SSD's, I'm hoping that it'll come with an SSD as standard, and an optional platter drive.

Replace user and press any key to continue!
Replace user and press any key to continue!
post #19 of 169
I sure hope this is true!
post #20 of 169

I will probably get Both Minis: The Mac and iPad mini's, IF Apple releases both machines before the holidays.

post #21 of 169
Quote:

Many of us are thinking Haswell at this point.

Same here
post #22 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo1234 View Post

Same here

And that's how many more months?

post #23 of 169
The Mini when paired with a TB Display does give you the ability to update/upgrade the computer while keeping the monitor (and keyboard and mouse/trackpad) as opposed to having to ditch the iMac entirely if you want to upgrade to a new processor (for example). But based upon the slow refresh cycle, chances are good that you may be ready for a new monitor by the time an update hits on the Mini.
post #24 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You might as well ask why a pickup truck is better than a convertible?
They're entirely different computers. The iMac is an all-in-one where everything is in one box. The Mini does not include a monitor and is generally an entry-level machine with moderate performance.
Which one is better depends on your budget, your needs, whether you have a monitor already, and so on.

Fair enough.  My iMac is the first Mac I've ever owned, and I didn't consider the Mini at all.  But I liked the "all in one" approach of the iMac.   I was just asking because the Mac Mini owners seem to be nuts about them, I just wasn't sure why.  Hope they get their upgrade soon

post #25 of 169
Quote:

MacMini although doesn't have the graphics power the iMac does, the MacMini doesn't have a built in screen.  So if the screen was to go bad on an iMac one would be stuck with a Computer and no screen making that person have to go buy an external screen just to use their Computer.  Being that the MacMini has capability to handle most basic games not it can do just as much as the base line iMac.  One last note.  Footprint.  The MacMini takes up a smaller footprint.  It can be used in the living room on a large screen TV or on a desk with a smaller monitor.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #26 of 169
"Apples lack of updates on their entire desktop line is ridiculous, you can forgive them for not following the 3-6 month schedule of their competitors but 18 months + takes the piss."

"iMac: 18 months old already, and the processor they're rumored to be putting in to the next update is already nearly 8 months old."

Pretty much it.

Charging over £500 quid for a tiny box with integrated crappics, a 5400rpm HD, no k/b, no monitor...no mouse.

Apple Audacity.

As is letting the desktop line languish for a year and a half...despite plenty of ram, gpu and cpu options being available for ages.

The 'pro' joke update typifies the current desktop neglect by Apple.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #27 of 169

Just scrap the entire desktop line.

Replace it with one box that can take everything from integrated crappics, to mainstream gpu to high end gpu.  i3 to i7.  Job done.

1 box.  That should be enough streamlining for even Apple to cope with...

Yeesh.  One desktop to go with the one sodding monitor they make...

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #28 of 169
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

One desktop to go with the one sodding monitor they make...

They make two and sell three.

post #29 of 169
I agree that this is getting ridiculous. I would /love/ to have reasonable options for a Mac Pro AND a new iMac at this point. Given how long I've been waiting for a new iMac (Since July, and my oldest iMac finally died on Sunday), supply constraints don't make me feel that much better.

Hurry up and make computers, Apple!
post #30 of 169
As the iPod, iPad, iPhone are the products making them big bucks these days, the computers are on the back burner and not worth attention anymore. Pissing me off!
post #31 of 169
Quote:

They make two and sell three.

iPhone 5.

That's 4.  

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #32 of 169
more forced obsolescence.
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
post #33 of 169
Quote:

In a word, "headless"

Check these out.
http://store.h-sq.com/Mounts/Mac+mini.html
post #34 of 169
Quote:

Less movable parts.
post #35 of 169
Quote:

Just scrap the entire desktop line.

Replace it with one box that can take everything from integrated crappics, to mainstream gpu to high end gpu.  i3 to i7.  Job done.

1 box.  That should be enough streamlining for even Apple to cope with...

Yeesh.  One desktop to go with the one sodding monitor they make...

Lemon Bon Bon.

Depending on your needs you might have all different internal components. The box itself is only a hundred bucks or so. One reason the MacPro is so large is you need all kinds of cooling and large power supply where as lighter duty computer gets by with a lot less of everything. You might as well make it tailored to fit the individual needs otherwise the cpu, power supply and cooling would be all mismatched. Unfortunately for hobbyists and tinkerers, Apple doesn't make a mid-sized tower. It is either All Pro or All-in-one.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #36 of 169
For those looking forward to Haswell, I can't wait for it myself though let me first enjoy winter.
post #37 of 169
Perhaps... They said "screw it" with Intel and are getting ready to refresh everything with ARM processors? iMacs... Mac Mini's... MacPro...

All updated overnight, all at once...

Yeah, stupid I know... I'll go back into my hole. 1smile.gif
post #38 of 169
iPhone 5. That's 4.  

Wait, what?

Originally Posted by xgman View Post
more forced obsolescence.

You don't have any idea what that phrase means, do you?

post #39 of 169
Quote:

Easy.  It allows me to buy a separate NON-REFLECTIVE display.

Currently, Apple doesn't make a consumer-grade machine that I can use, other than the mini.  It seems some people can learn to disregard the reflections in their displays, but apparently my eyes are actually wired to my brain such that I get an accurate picture of what's in front of me at all times.  There ARE reflections in those frickin' glossy displays (in virtually all "normal" environments), it's just a matter of whether or not you can learn to ignore them.

Oh, iirc there is the BTO option on the MacBook Pro, but that forces waay too many pixels.  The current 15" models already require me to wear reading glasses, I'm not going to get something where the dot pitch is even smaller.  Why on earth did they remove the ability to order a "standard" 1440x900-ish matte display on the 15"?  Weird.

Oh, and plus the other reasons above, i.e. headless, home-theatre, etc.

No Matte == No Sale :-(
No Matte == No Sale :-(
post #40 of 169
Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post
Easy.  It allows me to buy a separate NON-REFLECTIVE display.

Yeah, because an iMac sure doesn't afford that opti… oh. wait.

…apparently my eyes are actually wired to my brain such that I get an accurate picture of what's in front of me at all times. There ARE reflections in those frickin' glossy displays (in virtually all "normal" environments), it's just a matter of whether or not you can learn to ignore them.

Turning on and actually using the display helps with that.

Why on earth did they remove the ability to order a "standard" 1440x900-ish matte display on the 15"?

Seen the retina MacBook Pro? That's what a Haswell iMac will be like.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Mac mini supply drying up, could signal Ivy Bridge update