or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Accessory maker halts production of 'iPad mini' cases due to apparent 'design change'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Accessory maker halts production of 'iPad mini' cases due to apparent 'design change' - Page 2

post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Why is it that people with no arguments always end by doing this? 

 

YOU'RE NOT WRONG. Neither am I. It's just that simple. You've offered no explanation as to why the 6th released iPhone isn't the 6th generation, and so that's all that is left hanging here.

 

Let's nail that down. Here's the definition of the word.

 

 

Specifically, definition 2. The production of something. Now, I'm sure it can be twisted and said that because production on the iPhone as a concept has happened continuously and simultaneously for multiple models since the iPhone 3G, we're still only on the "2nd generation" of iPhone. But bear with me here, because that's silly.

 

If it's "the production of something", then the iPhone is that something. And how many iPhones have been produced? iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4a, iPhone 4v, iPhone 4p, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5. 

 

Looks like eight, dunnit? Soon to be nine. But not according to the names Apple gave. Which narrows it down a bit: iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5.

 

Six.

You're annoying

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Told you we've seen more than one mockup.

And that couldn't be further from the truth. Could you buy a 6th-gen iPhone before launch? How about an iPad mini?

I think he meant product announcements not launches.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #43 of 59
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
I think he meant product announcements not launches.


Well, sure, but I was ignoring that because it brings us back to the impossibility of keeping something of this scale under wraps. "Doubling down" only works if everyone who leaks gets fired.

post #44 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Why is it that people with no arguments always end by doing this? 

 

YOU'RE NOT WRONG. Neither am I. It's just that simple. You've offered no explanation as to why the 6th released iPhone isn't the 6th generation, and so that's all that is left hanging here.

 

Let's nail that down. Here's the definition of the word.

 

 

Specifically, definition 2. The production of something. Now, I'm sure it can be twisted and said that because production on the iPhone as a concept has happened continuously and simultaneously for multiple models since the iPhone 3G, we're still only on the "2nd generation" of iPhone. But bear with me here, because that's silly.

 

If it's "the production of something", then the iPhone is that something. And how many iPhones have been produced? iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4a, iPhone 4v, iPhone 4p, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5. 

 

Looks like eight, dunnit? Soon to be nine. But not according to the names Apple gave. Which narrows it down a bit: iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5.

 

Six.

 

Hey, thanks for that. I was just thinking, wouldn't it be great if tallest ski gave us another one of his obnoxious essay-rants about the name of the iPhone, because the 37,924 he's done in the past year, which didn't manage to convince anyone of anything, just didn't seem to be enough. I expect another one tomorrow. 

 

What blows my mind the most is that you don't own this phone, nor are planning to buy it. Nor last year's. Nor the one before that. Nor the one before. Or before. You haven't bought an iPhone since the original. Oh wait, you didn't even buy that, it was gifted to you. You obsess with names and other trivial details of Apple products that you have no intention of buying or using in the 1st place, which is so utterly absurd on so many levels. 

post #45 of 59
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
Hey, thanks for that. I was just thinking, wouldn't it be great if tallest ski gave us another one of his obnoxious essay-rants about the name of the iPhone, 

 

Nowhere did I comment on the name of the iPhone there. Close, though.


You obsess with names and other trivial details of Apple products that you have no intention of buying or using in the 1st place, which is so utterly absurd on so many levels. 

 

So you purchase every product Apple makes, giving your word on each of them divine assertion? Is that the takeaway?

post #46 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

 

[...] though I still think much of the complaining is bad press and schadenfreude from haters, rather than the result of actual negative experiences using Maps for every day search and navigation.

 

Depends what you mean by "much."  To paraphrase Apple's marketing and applying it to AI, "There's a thread for that."  There are many genuine accounts of genuine issues, some serious, some not so much.

 

Personally I find it annoying that the Google map app in iOS5 correctly found where I am when starting trips from my workplace while Apple Maps INSISTS that I'm in the next block over.  Not worth bitching about, but not exactly confidence inspiring either.

post #47 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The remaining moderators issue radiological hazard suits to users left behind in the carnage, based on the time-honored tradition of 'first come, ignored and handed out to the most important people anyway'.

The rest of it plays out like Matrix Revolutions, but with a coherent plot and better acting.
Is Gary Busey available?

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #48 of 59
Originally Posted by diplication View Post
Is Gary Busey available?


Yes, but only to play Neo.

post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Yes, but only to play Neo.
Duh! Never a question of any other part. But now, who have we got for Morpheus?

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

So calling the 6th-gen iPhone the 6th-gen iPhone doesn't fly? What about calling the 3rd-gen iPad 'iPad 3'? That's wrong, too. 


Come on, man. The only thing it can't be called is a designator it isn't. Though were I actually calling it iPhone5,1 or by its model number, that'd be stupid enough to warrant complaints. 

 

Stubbornness will be your downfall. You make no sense at all, yet you stick with it. I don't care if you revel in your idiocy, but you keep throwing it out there as moderator of this forum.

post #51 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why is it that people with no arguments always end by doing this? 

YOU'RE NOT WRONG. Neither am I. It's just that simple. You've offered no explanation as to why the 6th released iPhone isn't the 6th generation, and so that's all that is left hanging here.
...

Specifically, definition 2. The production of something. Now, I'm sure it can be twisted and said that because production on the iPhone as a concept has happened continuously and simultaneously for multiple models since the iPhone 3G, we're still only on the "2nd generation" of iPhone. But bear with me here, because that's silly.

If it's "the production of something", then the iPhone is that something. And how many iPhones have been produced? iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4a, iPhone 4v, iPhone 4p, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5. 

Looks like eight, dunnit? Soon to be nine. But not according to the names Apple gave. Which narrows it down a bit: iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5.

Six.

I think it's just a model number. Model numbers don't necessarily have a meaning behind them. The "S" in some iPhone models didn't really have a meaning behind it. I don't understand your resistance to Apple's naming, that's what they're calling the product. I do believe that an Apple exec considered the original iPhone and iPhone 3G to be the same generation.

Apple never declared why the A4 chip is numbered like that, or said what would have made an A1 through A3, or what made a G1 or G2 PPC chip when they suddenly started calling the G3 a G3. It's really just a designation they gave, that's all.
Edited by JeffDM - 10/9/12 at 8:00pm
post #52 of 59
Originally Posted by elroth View Post
Stubbornness will be your downfall. You make no sense at all, yet you stick with it. I don't care if you revel in your idiocy, but you keep throwing it out there as moderator of this forum.

 

So you ALSO don't have any sort of rebuttal as to calling the iPhone 5 the 6th-gen iPhone. Got it.


Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post
I think it's just a model number. Model numbers don't necessarily have a meaning behind them.

 

Don't have any set meaning, you mean.


I do believe that an Apple exec considered the original iPhone and iPhone 3G to be the same generation.

 

I just can't see that. 

post #53 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why is it that people with no arguments always end by doing this? 

YOU'RE NOT WRONG. Neither am I. It's just that simple. You've offered no explanation as to why the 6th released iPhone isn't the 6th generation, and so that's all that is left hanging here.

Let's nail that down. Here's the definition of the word.



Specifically, definition 2. The production of something. Now, I'm sure it can be twisted and said that because production on the iPhone as a concept has happened continuously and simultaneously for multiple models since the iPhone 3G, we're still only on the "2nd generation" of iPhone. But bear with me here, because that's silly.

If it's "the production of something", then the iPhone is that something. And how many iPhones have been produced? iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4a, iPhone 4v, iPhone 4p, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5. 

Looks like eight, dunnit? Soon to be nine. But not according to the names Apple gave. Which narrows it down a bit: iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5.

Six.

I don't have to give any more rebuttals to you because I gave a number of logical reasons why you are wrong when we first had this discussion previously, you don't know anything about manufacturing, or marketing, that's obvious. You stick with your fractured thinking despite events overtaking you. It's hopeless arguing with that. So I won't bother. It's also your tactic to think that someone who throws his hands up in disgust with someone's obviously flawed (and continued) explanations is losing the argument, when it's exactly the opposite.

There is also no useful definition of the word generation as it applies to product design and manufacture. The determination of what constitutes "new model", and "new generation" is entirely up to the company whose products they are. They, and not you, determine which features and upgrades constitute a new model or generation. They are the only ones who can do that.

The best you can do is to say that you "feel" as though something is a new model or generation in opposition to what the company is presenting. No more.

If you don't understand by now that you are wrong, then further discussion is pointless. But you don't understand that either. So do t try to soften your position by saying that we are both right.
post #54 of 59
Originally Posted by melgross View Post
There is also no useful definition of the word generation as it applies to product design and manufacture.

 

Right there in that screenshot.


The determination of what constitutes "new model", and "new generation" is entirely up to the company whose products they are. They, and not you, determine which features and upgrades constitute a new model or generation. They are the only ones who can do that.


So they could call the fourth iPad "iPad 3" with the reason "because it's our third generation" and you'd be fine with that. Or… what's right… "iPad 9", because it's the 9th hardware model they've made, and you'd be fine with that due to there being no definition of the word generation.

 

"There is no meaningful definition of the word" is a great way to call your opponent wrong. It's also invalid.

post #55 of 59

Is a BMW 320 the 320th generation they made?

No.

 

Numbers are merely an identifier for the product, not an indication of which generation.

 

The numbers clearly have no meaning from the minute they started using them.

 

iPhone (no numbers)

iPhone 3G (3! but that's the 2nd generation)

post #56 of 59
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post
Is a BMW 320 the 320th generation they made?

No.

 

Numbers are merely an identifier for the product, not an indication of which generation.

 

I don't care about what the name is! That's not the discussion at hand. But you've shown that you support my side of this discussion, so I thank you for that.

post #57 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right there in that screenshot.


So they could call the fourth iPad "iPad 3" with the reason "because it's our third generation" and you'd be fine with that. Or… what's right… "iPad 9", because it's the 9th hardware model they've made, and you'd be fine with that due to there being no definition of the word generation.

"There is no meaningful definition of the word" is a great way to call your opponent wrong. It's also invalid.

Did Apple even say it was a fifth generation device? Otherwise, I don't understand what the problem is.
post #58 of 59
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post
Did Apple even say it was a fifth generation device? Otherwise, I don't understand what the problem is.

 

What, the iPhone 5? Not to my reading. That's why I'm so confused, too. It's the 6th phone they've released, so it's the 6th generation.

post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What, the iPhone 5? Not to my reading. That's why I'm so confused, too. It's the 6th phone they've released, so it's the 6th generation.

That is true, but the thing is you're probably the only one that calls it that way. Everyone else just calls it an iPhone 5.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Accessory maker halts production of 'iPad mini' cases due to apparent 'design change'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Accessory maker halts production of 'iPad mini' cases due to apparent 'design change'