or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple reportedly knew of iOS Maps troubles well before launch

Apple reportedly knew of iOS Maps troubles well before launch - Page 2

post #41 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

As we all know you live in a brand new development that is not accurately presented in Google Maps.

Apple managed to get it right.

Google has been in this game for far longer yet people readily dismiss or downright ignore their flaws.

Why is that do you think?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #42 of 141
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Fattty Nano, touchscreen Nano, buttonless Shuffle, iMovie '08, etc.

And those weren't even BAD!

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #43 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apfeltosh View Post

The sickening part is because it is Apple that released this crapware, the sheeple will find any and every excuse for the terrible decision to release the buggy software and then charge users a ton for the new phone. Imagine the backlash if Google, Microsoft, Samsung, or Rim that released this bad app. There is NO excuse for this given the price premium of an iPhone 5. Steve jobs would have LOST IT if this was released, and that is why Apple has already changed, for the worst,

O.k. I'll bite...

In reverse order:

RIMM... Well I suppose we did see what happened when they released "crapware". Time and time again...

Samsung... They are trying to copy Apple so thoroughly that they were brought to court for it. I'm sure Samsung would love to trade sales numbers for paltry maps complaints...

Microsoft... I can't even believe you mentioned them. Hahaha! What have they done that hasn't failed besides windows and office? The former may be added to your list on their next release. The Kin? The Zune? There are many, may other examples. I don't have all night this time. I don't even remember the Kin. I didn't know it even existed at all until I read about it on this site.

Google... They released their version of iOS. I suppose their users say "It doesn't function right, but its just a 'knock off' of Apple so it shouldn't be exactly the same right? Hey Googles' Maps app is cool. I wish the rest of the phone was that cool!"

Something tells me that I might just see the word "BANNED" under your name soon.... Call it woman's intuition. :o)

Also, for your reading pleasure.

http://bottomline.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/09/14324790-microsoft-trims-ceo-ballmers-bonus-after-disappointing-year?lite
Edited by Vadania - 10/9/12 at 7:01pm
post #44 of 141
Apple made a tough choice for a tough situation. Whatever they did, they probably would have gotten flack for from someone. It's done. We have iOS Maps now. No point in pulling these developers out of the woodwork to whine about something we all know. Maps wasn't ready, so what. Apple has never left anything hanging for long, so it'll be better eventually. So let's give it a rest. These articles are literally flamebait, stirring up controversy just for the sake of it.

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Windows Tablet, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 Linux HTPC

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Windows Tablet, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 Linux HTPC

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

post #45 of 141

This is a riot.  "They had months to fix problems," eh?  I don't think you have the proper sense of either scale or process.

If you've worked on software you know that you're working flat out right up to the day of release and even so it's never done.  And that's just on the software, not counting data.  And in this case, the data was monstrous and there was no chance of there not being many thousands of points of error in the data.

As a vendor, do you hold off indefinitely while this stuff gets fixed?  Or do you ship it and just keep fixing things incrementally?

With a product like a Garmin GPS incremental fixes were something of a hassle, and they charge kind of a lot of money for them (although about a quarter as much today as they did just a few years ago).  Apple, though, can just fix this stuff on the fly as fast as they can and we all benefit.

Put on a little perspective: None of the mapping companies held up products until the map data was particularly polished.  Apple's data is, truthfully, better than most at time of launch -- and that includes Google.  You all might not remember it, but Google data was pretty darn screwy too until they started sending cars down roads to see where they really went.  And Mapquest data is *still* pretty screwy in lots of places despite years and years of user-submitted correction requests.  And you probably know someone who Garmin's data sent horribly awry (it routed me and my sportscar up a mountain jeep track once, heading to a point miles from the address I gave it).

Truthfully, Apple's software is about average in this respect.  The maps are not that bad.  The stuff that *looks* really bad is the stuff where they tried to do something relatively new and fancy.  Those wavy roads and melting bridges?  They were obviously trying to project satellite images onto topographical data.  That looks great as long as the roads follow the topographical form.  But they don't always, particularly with bridges.  Google Earth does that kind of thing too (or did, I haven't looked recently).

Yea, we all miss Google's search capability, and some of the road data isn't all that accurate.  On the other hand, the maps are much better visually, they load a hell of a lot faster than Google's tiles, they load a much larger area so loss of signal is a lot less troublesome, etc. It's good enough.  You win some, you lose some.  IMO it was definitely good enough to ship, especially when you realize that fixing it was not going to be a matter of months, but of years, no matter what Apple did.  And the really egregious stuff?  A lot of that has already been fixed.

I can't say I'm particularly a fan of Apple's Maps, but mostly because the traffic data is way more stale than Google's.  For basic navigation it's not all that different from the data I get with Garmin or Tomtom and somehow I have survived those products.

jim frost

jimf@frostbytes.com

post #46 of 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

He didn't lose it when FCP X was released.

He didn't lose it when the iPhone 4's antenna problems were plastered all over the news. In fact, he defended Apple.

He didn't lose it when OS X Lion lost "Save As."

So far, the post-Jobs Apple is no worse off than it was during Jobs' watch.

1) I don't edit video, but I'll give you this one.

2) That's because the iPhone 4 doesn't have antenna problems.

3) The lack of “Save As…” pisses me off.

4) Agreed.

I give you 3 out of 4.

“If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed.” —Mark Twain

This was true in his time, and it’s much worse now.
post #47 of 141
And I still can't find my house or look down my street- only roofs and top of trees.
Useless.
post #48 of 141
[
Quote:

He didn't lose it when the iPhone 4's antenna problems were plastered all over the news.

No he just gave out free $29.99 bumpers (which probably cost $1 but that's another story). We could have a least received a warning that we were about to lose StreetView when we upgraded the iOs for crissakes..
post #49 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

And I still can't find my house or look down my street- only roofs and top of trees.
Useless.

I find my house, lots of times, I just walk or drive up my street and there it is, right where I left it.

post #50 of 141
Quote:

The sickening part is because it is Apple that released this crapware, the sheeple will find any and every excuse for the terrible decision to release the buggy software and then charge users a ton for the new phone. Imagine the backlash if Google, Microsoft, Samsung, or Rim that released this bad app. There is NO excuse for this given the price premium of an iPhone 5. Steve jobs would have LOST IT if this was released, and that is why Apple has already changed, for the worst,

Considering this is an issue with iOS 6 and has nothing to do any premium paid for anything I don't get your point.  Plus there have been over time myriad examples of this happening on Google maps, it's just that A) no one had anything to compare to esp given the extra functionality and usability that outweighed most mistakes B) maps have now become a critical app in most folks lives, this wasn't the case when googmaps was going through it's teething pains, and C) this is Apple where now EVERY little thing is criticized ("hey, when I throw my iPhone against a brick wall and then run over it with my Prius it scratches the aluminum on the back, Steve must be rolling in his grave right now").

post #51 of 141
Quote:

[
No he just gave out free $29.99 bumpers (which probably cost $1 but that's another story). We could have a least received a warning that we were about to lose StreetView when we upgraded the iOs for crissakes..

I still have Street view, on my Galaxy Nexus.

It's called "having two phones".

post #52 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I still have Street view, on my Galaxy Nexus.

It's called "having two phones".

One for each ear?
post #53 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Only most times they aren't known to the software house. Software released with known bugs is a sign of deception.

A developer wouldn't say that. Hmm, scratch that: a knowledgable developer would never say that. You missed this part of the iOS 6 Terms and Conditions that says (it's in all caps in the original legal agreement)

Quote:

7.2 YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, USE OF THE iOS SOFTWARE AND ANY SERVICES PERFORMED BY OR ACCESSED THROUGH THE iOS SOFTWARE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK AND THAT THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO SATISFACTORY QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, ACCURACY AND EFFORT IS WITH YOU.

7.3 TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE iOS SOFTWARE AND SERVICES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE", WITH ALL FAULTS AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, AND APPLE AND APPLE'S LICENSORS (COLLECTIVELY REFERRED TO AS "APPLE" FOR THE PURPOSES OF SECTIONS 7 AND 8) HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS WITH RESPECT TO THE iOS SOFTWARE AND SERVICES, EITHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND/OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ACCURACY, QUIET ENJOYMENT, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS.

You cannot go before a court and win a lawsuit saying you were "deceived," because Apple made no claim about the lack of defects. They specifically say that iOS is provided "as is" WITH ALL FAULTS. iOS has always had bugs, going all the way back to version 1.0. The only deception going on is you, deceiving yourself.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #54 of 141
Quote:

Useless.

So you can't find a single use for Apple Maps because it doesn't have a certain feature that is still available on the device? With so much stupidity and hyperbole between you and Apple Maps one has proven to be useless.
Edited by SolipsismX - 10/9/12 at 7:30pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #55 of 141
Quote:

Auto complete did it for me.

I just tested it on an iPhone 5 in the Apple Store this weekend.  Maps even "autocompleted" my typing "Columbia" with the option for a red pin next to "Columbia, SC".  Guess where that sends you?  (In case that's not clear, it goes to South America.)

"Columbia, SC" should send you to Columbia, South Carolina.  It's a well-known bug at this point.  Apple should fix it.  Apple should have fixed it weeks ago.  It's server-side info, so it's an easy fix to push.

Why isn't it fixed?  If they knew of the issues, why didn't they start rolling in quick fixes for high visibility screw-ups like this?  I'm not the biggest Dilger fan, but on Tech Night Owl Live, he does an excellent job pointing out a number of places where Apple's eating it for refusing to fix high visibility mistakes in a timely fashion.  As he suggests too, Apple needs to fix these easy to ridicule mistakes.  Yesterday.

Edited by rufwork - 10/9/12 at 7:41pm
post #56 of 141
Quote:

So you can't find a single use for Apple Maps because it doesn't a certain feature that is still available on the device?

Not as a pedestrian- NO.

And will you ever stop lying? The feature is no longer on the device. What app gives you a map with a pin you tap and goes right to streetview?
post #57 of 141
Who cares about fixing flyover? Fix the information and location issues first, they are more important. And I'm not surprised by this, seeing as apple needed some big features for their new phone (after using Siri last time)
post #58 of 141
Quote:

He didn't lose it when FCP X was released.

He didn't lose it when the iPhone 4's antenna problems were plastered all over the news. In fact, he defended Apple.

He didn't lose it when OS X Lion lost "Save As."

So far, the post-Jobs Apple is no worse off than it was during Jobs' watch.

Very good points, and don't forget that recode of iMovie where they lost all that functionality and plugins.....

Course they left the old version available for folks that wanted it...

post #59 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfrost View Post

If you've worked on software you know that you're working flat out right up to the day of release and even so it's never done.  And that's just on the software, not counting data.  And in this case, the data was monstrous and there was no chance of there not being many thousands of points of error in the data.

This glut of errors is exactly why they need to prioritize and fix the high visibility errors first.  

if ("Columbia, SC" == strSearch) then

location.lat = 34°00′2″N 

location.lon = 81°02′39″W

end if

If you've worked on software, you know sometimes imperfect fixes NOW are a heck of a lot better than waiting on perfection.  That doesn't take months.  Check that link I included above where Dilger talks about print advertisements that slam points Maps can't find.  

If you can't hard code a server-side fix to negate the power of a print ad in 2012, you've got a serious problem.  As soon as you knew there was a print ad with a specific point, you include something like the above and everyone who tries the point from the ad goes, "Huh?  Apple gets that right."  Insane.

Look, I don't have a lot of Apple stock, but I've got over $20k of it (and that's after "profit taking" several times).  I like Apple.  They've done well.  This is crap.

Quote by jimfrost again:
The stuff that *looks* really bad is the stuff where they tried to do something relatively new and fancy.

Hard to let that one go.  Columbia, SC, established 1786.  "new and fancy" stuff, indeed.  You must be British (or Egyptian or Iranian, etc) to call that "relatively new".  ;)

Edited by rufwork - 10/9/12 at 7:36pm
post #60 of 141
Quote:

[
We could have a least received a warning that we were about to lose StreetView when we upgraded the iOs for crissakes..

Nobody lost street view. You can still use the stand alone Streetviewer app, as well as several other solutions.
post #61 of 141
Quote:

Not as a pedestrian- NO.
And will you ever stop lying? The feature is no longer on the device. What app gives you a map with a pin you tap and goes right to streetview?

1) So now you're claiming that there is no maps for pedestrians. If you actually explored the new Maps even once you would realize that pedestrian directions are there; it's public transportation that is now added via 3rd-party support. I guess since pedestrian and public both start with 'p' you got confused.

2) Yep, such a liar: http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/10/04/street-view-for-google-maps-web-app-goes-live-for-some Not to mention the App Store apps that have it.

post #62 of 141
Quote:

Yep, such a liar: http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/10/04/street-view-for-google-maps-web-app-goes-live-for-some Not to mention the App Store apps that have it.

That is a web app- not the same. No pin tap to street view either.
No time for your twistedness . Begone .
post #63 of 141
Quote:

**** your posts are stupid, Teckstud! So now you're saying it's on viewable on the phone because it's web app? News flash: Street View was never stored "on" the iPhone before as it was all queried at the back end from Google just like it is now with maps.google.com.

post #64 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufwork View Post

I just tested it on an iPhone 5 in the Apple Store this weekend.  Maps even "autocompleted" my typing "Columbia" with the option for a red pin next to "Columbia, SC".  Guess where that sends you?  (In case that's not clear, it goes to South America.)

"Columbia, SC" should send you to Columbia, South Carolina.  It's a well-known bug at this point.  Apple should fix it.  Apple should have fixed it weeks ago.  It's server-side info, so it's an easy fix to push.

So this picture here I posted before is south america?

Strange that, isn't South Carolina in the United States?

Imagine the surprise if you went to that location on the map, would you need to learn Spanish, would you need peso's or something?

It's a good thing I'm never likely to go there.

post #65 of 141
Quote:

So this picture here I posted before is south america?

[image]

Strange that, isn't South Carolina in the United States?

Imagine the surprise if you went to that location on the map, would you need to learn Spanish, would you need peso's or something?

It's a good thing I'm never likely to go there.

I can recreate this bug. When I click on the lower Columbia SC I get a pin at Santiago De Cali, Colombia.

edit: I reported the problem. I wonder if others who have seen this "well known issue" have done so. There isn't a single digital maps service that hasn't used user input to correct their location bugs.
Edited by SolipsismX - 10/9/12 at 8:23pm

post #66 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Some of bugs are systematic in nature and could be fixed with a few lines of code. I have seen cases where "Mahoni Road" finds the address but "Mahoni Rd" returns no result at all (that was in a major European language, ie, different actual words but exactly the same principle). That is just sloppy coding, not a question of lacking data.

I vote for this post as being the only interesting one on the entire thread.  :-)

On another related note ... I came across what might be an interesting bug in iOS 6 maps this weekend.  

I was in a National Park hiking through the woods and I lost my bearings for a bit so I pulled out the maps app to see what was what.  I had it set on a combo view of the road info and the satellite picture and I noticed right away that the road I was searching for was the equivalent of about 4 city blocks to the south.  I also noticed that the satellite imagery, which also clearly showed the road, was showing it more like 2.5 or 3 city blocks to the south instead.  Okay, so the satellite imagery and the maps did not match ... ideal time to send a report to the maps people at Apple right?  

I decided to walk through the forest to the road, so that I was actually standing on the error when I reported it, thinking that this might be a good thing.  I also wasn't sure exactly which of the two were right.  Was the satellite image accurate or the map itself?  By the time I get to the road and stand on it, the satellite imagery and the road on the map were now in complete alignment.  Shock!  

I am completely certain that I wasn't mistaken about the mis-alignment I originally saw, which means to me that iOS 6 maps not only has bad data it has some kind of bad code in it that mis-aligns things "on the fly."  I know that sounds dumb/unbelievable/unlikely etc. but that's what happened.  Either someone in the server room was fixing that particular map in between my two viewings or the map data was actually dynamically "bad."  

If true, it kind of suggests that there is more at work here than simply bad data. 

post #67 of 141

I read an article concerning the culture at Microsoft, it was a very long but most interesting read.

I forgot the link, but will do my best to find it.

There were 63,000 known bugs in a Windows OS release, not sure which one.

Microsoft's PR spun it in a most positive light, along the lines "the consumers will feel confident in our ability to fix these issues".

Do a search that concerns irate Microsoft customers, there are literally thousands, read some, you will be astounded.

This Maps issue is nothing compared to the abomination that is Windows.

Please don't write and mention an App versus an OS, its still programming code thats involved.

post #68 of 141
Quote:

1) So now you're claiming that there is no maps for pedestrians. If you actually explored the new Maps even once you would realize that pedestrian directions are there; it's public transportation that is now added via 3rd-party support. I guess since pedestrian and public both start with 'p' you got confused. ...

Not to defend such a complete a-hole as Sheldon, but the new maps don't actually have walking directions IMO.  If you click on the walking directions you get the same directions as for a car.  They can call it "walking directions" all they want, but it's just car directions by another name.  

Notice when you drop a pin, even if you are on walking directions, the pin shows a car.  Tapping on the car icon, does, perversely give you "walking directions," but they are the same as for a car, they use the car street signs, they use mostly the same language as is used for the car.  They are really just car directions.  I think they swap out the word "drive" for "go" or "walk" but that's about it. 

The walking directions (at least in the areas I have tried to use them) also are not aware of bike paths and pedestrian areas.  They aren't aware of anything that isn't a road that a car can travel down basically, so there isn't much point in using them downtown for instance, because all of the myriad ways in which a pedestrian can get around a city are unknown to the app.  The app seems unaware that you can cut across plazas, and is not aware of *any* footpaths (at least not that I have seen so far).  In a park, it seems to only pick the roads and is not aware of anything else.  

post #69 of 141
Originally Posted by hfts View Post
Microsoft's PR spun it in a most positive light, along the lines "the consumers will feel confident in our ability to fix these issues".

Do a search that concerns irate Microsoft customers, there are literally thousands, read some, you will be astounded.

Ah, but "Microsoft sucks" is old hat. The media knows that, the public knows that. It doesn't sell.

Apple "failing", even when they don't, sells. 

Google failing doesn't sell because Google only makes "free" products, so they're pardoned from any and all failures of any sort.

post #70 of 141

I have an iPhone 4 updated with iOS6.  The compass app that came with iOS5 seemed to usually find something sorta-kinda-roughly-approximating north, but Apple's Map app in iOS6 has only pointed me the right way once in six tests over a period of several days.  Yeah yeah, I did the stupid figure-8 thing which did change the direction of the pointer, but still not to north.

Is this related to Maps, something else entirely, or is my phone broken?

All those with "magnetic personality" jokes please get them out of the way quickly.

post #71 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Not to defend such a complete a-hole as Sheldon, but the new maps don't actually have walking directions IMO.  If you click on the walking directions you get the same directions as for a car.  They can call it "walking directions" all they want, but it's just car directions by another name.  

Notice when you drop a pin, even if you are on walking directions, the pin shows a car.  Tapping on the car icon, does, perversely give you "walking directions," but they are the same as for a car, they use the car street signs, they use mostly the same language as is used for the car.  They are really just car directions.  I think they swap out the word "drive" for "go" or "walk" but that's about it. 

The walking directions (at least in the areas I have tried to use them) also are not aware of bike paths and pedestrian areas.  They aren't aware of anything that isn't a road that a car can travel down basically, so there isn't much point in using them downtown for instance, because all of the myriad ways in which a pedestrian can get around a city are unknown to the app.  The app seems unaware that you can cut across plazas, and is not aware of *any* footpaths (at least not that I have seen so far).  In a park, it seems to only pick the roads and is not aware of anything else.  

I'm well aware of that. I noted back in the betas that walking directions didn't take the shortcut through a local park that Google Maps did. However, his claim was that "as a pedestrian" he "can't find [his] house or look down [his] street- only roofs and top of trees." which has absolutely no baring on that aspect on the walking directions of Apple Maps, regardless of how incomplete they might be.

I've had good luck with Apple Maps. It's very easy to tell Siri a destination and have it create the route whilst driving. Much easier than having to pull over to setup TomTom for the same route. That said, I'm very glad to have TomTom as a backup. Note I've been very vocal since the first beta on how I think Apple has hurt themselves with iOS 6 Maps. Even regulars like MacBook Pro were attacking me for it despite everything I predicted might happen has actually happened.

post #72 of 141
Quote:

Quote:

**** your posts are stupid, Teckstud! So now you're saying it's on viewable on the phone because it's web app? News flash: Street View was never stored "on" the iPhone before as it was all queried at the back end from Google just like it is now with maps.google.com.

Ya' know, I posted the following to another thread, but at least one of the images typifies the posts for which "iStud" is the poster boy... You pick 'em!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here's the kind of thing that's possible with Apple maps 3D FlyOver view -- that just can't be done with Google StreetView when no public roads exisL

and

:^)>

http://www.akademifantasia.org/north-america/bizzare-picture-of-the-back-of-mount-rushmore/
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #73 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

And street view? This should be mandatory on ALL mapping apps.

I mean, how did anyone ever, find their way somewhere before it was released. Most likely, get in the general area, then like a pinball, just bounce around until they ended up at the correct place.

I believe they use their brain to find where they are going instead of people needing to consult a map even when they go for a walk or they knew there are 3 post offices in their town yet need to confirm them with a map.

Talking about being ridiculous.

post #74 of 141
1. I love how they say 'months' to make it feel like it was a much longer time than it was
2. All that talk about there being another year on the google contract remains unsubstantiated and possibly totally false
3. They didn't mention StreetViewv in the keynote so why would anyone expect it to be there
4. Apple didn't suddenly kill all other apps and block all sites to force you to use their shitty app. As a user or a developer.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #75 of 141
Quote:

as per my last information, iPhone 5 is not a GPS device like Garmin... so can you please explain further on your point?

post #76 of 141
Quote:

One for each ear?

that is if you're stupid enough...

post #77 of 141
How pathetic to watch a bunch of people try to justify the crap quality of Apple Maps when compared to Google Maps. It's a bit like comparing a Lada to a Mercedes Benz.
post #78 of 141

Some times I wonder...  Is Apple insider trying to make Apple look bad here?  Cause the article certainly makes it seem that way.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #79 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

How pathetic to watch a bunch of people try to justify the crap quality of Apple Maps when compared to Google Maps. It's a bit like comparing a Lada to a Mercedes Benz.

Crap quality is crap quality so far I have posted several examples in this thread and a previous one of Google maps "crap" quality, backed up by screenshots showing exactly why Google maps also has flaws.

You left out the most compelling part of iOS 6 maps, voice navigation which makes your Lada/Mercedes analogy into a Lada driving along a road, gassed up and ready to go and a Mercedes in the wrecking yard crushed into a cube of metal.

Without voice guidance Google left Apple up a creek without a paddle much like waiting on the corner of Longhurst Rd and Longhurst Rd, while your friend waits on the corner of Longhurst Rd and Longhurst Rd except you're on Glasshouse and he's on Selwyn.

post #80 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

You don't get it. Apple was more than happy to ditch Google and the quicker the better. You see they wanted Google to say ohhh crap what do you mean all these users aren't using our maps anymore. And yes they will dump the Google Search too. I will be happy to rid Google from all my Apple devices. I am glad they took more immediate action then to wait for Google to prepare, I hope they look for every possible reason not to approve any Google Apps.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple reportedly knew of iOS Maps troubles well before launch