or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Specs for Samsung's 4" Galaxy S3 Mini fall well short of Apple's iPhone 5

Specs for Samsung's 4" Galaxy S3 Mini fall well short of Apple's iPhone 5 - Page 3

post #81 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Why is this shocking? It's been obvious for a while why everyone moved to massive phones: Samsung and other simply don't have the engineering and design expertise to fit high end components into a smaller body, while maintaining battery life. Creating large phones instead gave them a way out of the problem, while adding a bullet point to their marketing. In reality, the design decision was based on incompetence and inability to compete with a smaller body. I'd love to see anyone else fit the performance and battery life of the iPhone5 in the same shell, along with LTE etc. 

I have thought this too but I do have to disagree in a way.  I do feel that Apple is in a class of it's own when it comes to hardware aesthetics, but I don't believe that any other company can't also fit all of what Apple does in a small form factor.  May not be as pretty or as small but can do a similar job I'm sure.  I do however agree that they need the big batteries because of the problem that is Android and its poorly managed efficiency. 

post #82 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Ice Cream Sandwich is on 23.7% of the active Android devices, and Jelly Bean is at 1.4%.  25.1% of all Android devices are at 4.x.  Gingerbread is on 55.8% of active devices.

http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, Gingerbread -- all those names are laughable.

post #83 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Umm, no. Jelly Bean runs more efficiently than ICS.  Look it up. Or not. Ignorance befits you.

I just went from ICS to Jelly Bean and yesterday with 3 hours left in my shift at work my battery died on me.  That was the first time that has happened to me.  Was running exact same things I normally run when I had ICS on it.  wifi on, mobil data on, screen on lowest brightness (off most of the time while in my pocket anyway) and every other setting turned off.  All I did was periodically check baseball scores on Yahoo sportacular app and no other apps open in background.  Had close to 75% charge when I arrived which is around the norm from when I usually get up and go to work with some use.  I know it's a custom ROM but it has a lot less bloatware and system stuff running in the background.  I fail to understand how it's more efficient other than it's suppose to be lag free which I do not feel a difference as it still lags.

post #84 of 118

God, the misinformation and total ignorance here of Android-based phones is amazing.  And all of that from a supposed "techie" crowd.

We have had iPhones since the original, still have two (4 and 4S) in my family.  Great phones.  I was ready for a change, jailbreaking opened my eyes as to what a phone could be without Apple restraints wanted to learn the Android side of things and turned my iPhone4 in for a Galaxy S3 a couple months ago.  Couldn't be happier.  Much more customizable (icon placement, active widgets, skins, etc), as responsive as the iPhone, more RAM, flexible storage, love the larger screen (which frankly makes the iPhone screens "comically small" in my opinion) and the phone fits in my front jeans pocket perfectly fine, despite protestations to the contrary.  The S3 is, in my opinion, superior to the iPhone5.

Most of the baloney floating around here about the GS3 and Android is laughably ignorant. (ICS market penetration, new smaller S3 is 'flagship' lol, Jelly Bean is tougher on a phone than ICS, etc). Guess I shouldn't be surprised, after all this is an Apple-centric forum.  I just though more folks would be able to think more critically.

post #85 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

I just went from ICS to Jelly Bean and yesterday with 3 hours left in my shift at work my battery died on me.  That was the first time that has happened to me.  Was running exact same things I normally run when I had ICS on it.  wifi on, mobil data on, screen on lowest brightness (off most of the time while in my pocket anyway) and every other setting turned off.  All I did was periodically check baseball scores on Yahoo sportacular app and no other apps open in background.  Had close to 75% charge when I arrived which is around the norm from when I usually get up and go to work with some use.  I know it's a custom ROM but it has a lot less bloatware and system stuff running in the background.  I fail to understand how it's more efficient other than it's suppose to be lag free which I do not feel a difference as it still lags.

What phone do you have?

post #86 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

God, the misinformation and total ignorance here of Android-based phones is amazing.  And all of that from a supposed "techie" crowd.

We have had iPhones since the original, still have two (4 and 4S) in my family.  Great phones.  I was ready for a change, jailbreaking opened my eyes as to what a phone could be without Apple restraints wanted to learn the Android side of things and turned my iPhone4 in for a Galaxy S3 a couple months ago.  Couldn't be happier.  Much more customizable (icon placement, active widgets, skins, etc), as responsive as the iPhone, more RAM, flexible storage, love the larger screen (which frankly makes the iPhone screens "comically small" in my opinion) and the phone fits in my front jeans pocket perfectly fine, despite protestations to the contrary.  The S3 is, in my opinion, superior to the iPhone5.

Most of the baloney floating around here about the GS3 and Android is laughably ignorant. (ICS market penetration, new smaller S3 is 'flagship' lol, Jelly Bean is tougher on a phone than ICS, etc). Guess I shouldn't be surprised, after all this is an Apple-centric forum.  I just though more folks would be able to think more critically.

what your post is lacking:

-common sense;

-logic;

-knowledge.

The S3 is inferior to the iphone 5 in every single way. fact.

post #87 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Wich is probably even more of a challenge for the poorly performing processor.

I wouldn't think so.  My Nexus with 1.2 ghz dual core & one giga ram runs 4.1.1(Jelly Bean) beautifully.  

post #88 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sounds like a modern Android phone to me.

High five

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #89 of 118
Quote:

No most phones are sold with 4.0.x right now.  Most phones in consumers hands have 2.3 because of the awful update process.  His phone is only running 2.1 and has 128 mb of RAM!  Those are 2009 specs and software.

It was released with 1.6, I remember having to install some crappy software to a PC to update one once.

After that Angry Birds disappeared from the phone and the market.

post #90 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Be more specific. When someone says "specifications", it is generally regarded by the industry as hardware specifications. How does the GS3 "fall short" in that regard?

The lack of sub pixels in the pentile display.

post #91 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

It was released with 1.6, I remember having to install some crappy software to a PC to update one once.

After that Angry Birds disappeared from the phone and the market.

Welcome to Sony Ericsson PC Companion :)

I really miss the great Sony.

post #92 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I think this phone is geared towards most women and first time smartphone customers that are intimidated by a big phone. Although I have a big phone now I think 4" is the ideal size. My brother who recently switched from Android to the iPhone 5 might've gotten a 4" SGS lll had it been available 2-3 weeks ago, so contrary to popular belief not all those on Android like the bigger form factor including myself.

It's a cheap PAYG phone like the Galaxy Mini 2, Galaxy Ace and many other Galaxy variants, Samsung has done a good job of building the Galaxy brand and cashing in on phones like these.

Cheap phones are Android's bread and butter, high volume sales of phones like these are the source of most of the activations quoted by Google.

post #93 of 118

Not surprised: the S III is 20% heavier, has lower screen resolution and is slower in benchmarks than the iPhone 5.

post #94 of 118
Quote:

You keep attributing your problems to Jelly Bean when in fact they're problems associated with running an unfinished ROM (while mostly stable, CM10 is not close to final release stage).  I promise you Jelly Bean will be noticeably smoother when you're running either the build that HTC releases for your phone or a build on a stable ROM.

post #95 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Welcome to Sony Ericsson PC Companion :)

I really miss the great Sony.

People endlessly complain about iTunes (the software) on PC's, you never hear a peep about PC companion, KIES or any of the crap you need for some of these phones.

post #96 of 118
Quote:

People endlessly complain about iTunes (the software) on PC's, you never hear a peep about PC companion, KIES or any of the crap you need for some of these phones.

While that is true, iTunes for windows as an exclusively music player is bad, very bad compared to iTunes for mac. Why? Really slow, mac GUI on windows, cover flow takes a lot of time to load, etc. Apple could do much better.

Also we should mention expectations. It's Apple.. we expect only the best.

post #97 of 118
Quote:

...when you're running either the build that HTC releases for your phone...

Therein lies the problem.

Check it out ice cream sandwich on my Cha Cha:-

post #98 of 118
Quote:

While that is true, iTunes for windows as an exclusively music player is bad, very bad compared to iTunes for mac. Why? Really slow, mac GUI on windows, cover flow takes a lot of time to load, etc. Apple could do much better.

Also we should mention expectations. It's Apple.. we expect only the best.

It was very difficult to uninstall PC companion, it was nowhere near as bad as the Nokia software I used to use with Symbian phones.

post #99 of 118
Quote:

You keep attributing your problems to Jelly Bean when in fact they're problems associated with running an unfinished ROM (while mostly stable, CM10 is not close to final release stage).  I promise you Jelly Bean will be noticeably smoother when you're running either the build that HTC releases for your phone or a build on a stable ROM.

It also depends what device its on. CM10 is built and ported by different people for different devices.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #100 of 118
Quote:

Therein lies the problem.

Check it out ice cream sandwich on my Cha Cha:-

Mmmmmmm tasty.

post #101 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Wow! that 4.8" phone is comically large. And judging by the bottom row of icons you aren't gaining any real usability with that larger display for basic usage.

Unless you're a fumble-fingered klutz like me. I can barely manage typing on a full-size keyboard. For me, every character typed on those tiny little iPhone keys is like threading another needle!

post #102 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

AI's side-by-side is not to scale, as another poster mentioned. I believe it was intentionally done to be misleading since it appears someone at AI altered the original source image, linked here:

http://mobilegeeks.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Galaxy-S3-Mini-vs-Galaxy-S3.jpg

I've no idea why some writers feel the need to stoop to dishonesty. They don't do the forum members any favor by giving them faked images. I think we're all adult enough here to handle facts and judge for ourselves.

See there are things called watermarks, so I was looking at the picture you claim AI "doctored" and I was thinking "how did they do that and keep the watermark intact?"

When I noticed something about the picture in the link you posted:-

So who "altered the original source image"?

BUSTED

post #103 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I'm confused why AI's following this particular model. It's just another 'midrange' device. Who called it a flagship? :confused:

This looks more like a sequel to the old international Galaxy W. I'll bet this won't ever even come to the US. Sounds like people can't see the forest through the trees.

Unlike you who is a visionary.

I think its up to AI to determine what should be followed, if you are unhappy, simply don't read.

I like to scoff at the latest and greatest android garbage.

post #104 of 118
Quote:

Well of course it looks big. You're looking at it on a big monitor! ;-P

EDIT: I didn't recall seeing a side by side size comparison at AI with the iPhone5 and S3. There's one here if anyone's curious.

http://1.androidauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/samsung-galaxy-s3-vs-iphone-5-display.jpg

Are you for real ?

I know you are trying to be funny, but you fail big time.

The images are to scale, are you refuting this ? If so, give us a link (like you always do), maybe even 5 or 10, I have nothing better to do today than to read them all.

post #105 of 118

BUSTED

GetPaidOffToPhotoshopTheirLudicrouslyHugePhonesSmallergate.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #106 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

I thought specs werent important for Apple fans.

It's about the ecosystem and the apps, remember?

0.5" difference between iPhone 4S and 5.

0.8" difference between GS mini and GS3.

Obviously, the picture is not drawn to scale.

Can I give you some good advice, stop being so condescending.

Really ?  Can you prove it ?

Send a screen shot (you know the wonderful palm swipe) with a ruler.

post #107 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

GetPaidOffToPhotoshopTheirLudicrouslyHugePhonesSmallergate.

I've no idea why some posters feel the need to stoop to dishonesty. They don't do the forum members any favor by giving them faked images. I think we're all adult enough here to handle facts and judge for ourselves.

👞🔫

post #108 of 118
Quote:

See there are things called watermarks, so I was looking at the picture you claim AI "doctored" and I was thinking "how did they do that and keep the watermark intact?"

BUSTED

Good eye there bro
post #109 of 118
Quote:

AI's side-by-side is not to scale, as another poster mentioned. I believe it was intentionally done to be misleading since it appears someone at AI altered the original source image, linked here:
http://mobilegeeks.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Galaxy-S3-Mini-vs-Galaxy-S3.jpg

I've no idea why some writers feel the need to stoop to dishonesty. They don't do the forum members any favor by giving them faked images. I think we're all adult enough here to handle facts and judge for ourselves.

hill60's post shows clear proof that the image you posted is not the original. It doesn't exclude AI's photo as being faked but it certainly puts a lot of doubt since the image you link to was clear faked to make the size disparity seem less severe.

What I don't understand is why people simply don't own up to liking to their big ass phones. One could simply say, "Yeah, it's a little too big but I prefer it over the smaller options" or "I know it's not for everyone but I love my big phone" or "[Android 3.x]'s big (yeah yeah yeah). It's not small (no no no)."

I've never seen anyone buy a big ass pickup truck and then argue that it's really not that much bigger than a sportscar and use doctored photos to prove it. I have no need for an oversized pickup with truck nuts, but there are certainly different needs out there... shoveling shit comes to mind 1biggrin.gif

In the words of the prophets Bel, Biv, and Devoe. "Never trust a big butt and a smile."

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #110 of 118
Quote:

what your post is lacking:

-common sense;

-logic;

-knowledge.

The S3 is inferior to the iphone 5 in every single way. fact.

You're just proving his point...

post #111 of 118
Quote:

This usually happens with unstable ROMs. Two things might be happening, either there is a ,memory leak, or your phone is not going into deep sleep mode. There are CPU analyzing apps that can help you pinpoint the problem.

Initially Android creates a database, so initially android can lag while its building the database, that can also be killing your battery. There are several factors, but you should always check the op post from the dev who built the ROM to see what bugs have been reported. You can't expect xda ROMs to work like official ones.
post #112 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

It's possible that it's their response to the iPod Touch.

This ^^^
post #113 of 118
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post
This ^^^

But they already have make a PMP that has no phone or cellular data and doesn't require $2,000 payment over the course of two years.

post #114 of 118
Quote:

BUSTED

I see that at the source image. It's certainly probable that the source for the AI story corrected the scale comparison (sloppily I might add) after AI had already grabbed and used the incorrect one with the exaggerated size differences. The photo credit under AI's image takes you here, bottom of the page, to what is obviously the corrected scale image:

http://mobilegeeks.de/samsung-galaxy-s3-mini-alle-spezifikationen-erstes-foto/

My apologies to the AI author. 

EDIT: Here's an image of the incorrect scale of the the pic in the AI story alongside the correct scale per measurements.

Edited by Gatorguy - 10/11/12 at 4:06am
melior diabolus quem scies
post #115 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

It's possible that it's their response to the iPod Touch.

Samsung's equivalent to the iPod Touch is intended to be the Galaxy Player.

post #116 of 118
That's quite ugly, if you ask me. Even if you don't.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #117 of 118
Quote:

Even the 4.8"'s specs fall well short of those from the I5. 

^this^

Well except in weight: the SIII IS 20% greater in weight!

post #118 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

One thing is for certain however. They will declare it vastly superior to the iPhone 5

Who are "they"?

And when this phone is released, I really hope you can find some articles out there talk about how 'vastly superior' it is because I do not think you will find one.  If you do, it will be from some loyal to a fault Android person who refuses to admit that iPhone is one of the top smartphones out there.

The SIII mini targets a different market segment and while the specs fall short of it's bigger brother and the iPhone 5 (gasp!! I said it), it is no slouch and will offer many people what they need out of a smartphone.  

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Specs for Samsung's 4" Galaxy S3 Mini fall well short of Apple's iPhone 5
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Specs for Samsung's 4" Galaxy S3 Mini fall well short of Apple's iPhone 5