or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Consumer Reports: 'Purple haze' not limited to iPhone 5, Android cameras also have flare
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Consumer Reports: 'Purple haze' not limited to iPhone 5, Android cameras also have flare - Page 2

post #41 of 80

What?  Wait, now I'll have to return my Android device and then re-re-re-order another iPhone 5!  \s

post #42 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuselppa View Post

Yes, lens flare happens with camera's (hell the latest Star Trek film in 2009 used this effect a lot), but it is more apparent with the ip5 over similar spec'd Android phones. And it seems to catch only the upper end of the UV spectrum/lower end of the visible, which to me looks more and more like the digital sensor. 

Not from what I have seen.  The GSIII can flare like mad.  The difference is people look for every little flaw in an Apple product and add a "gate" at the end of thinking they are smart.  If Android products were held to the same level we would have batteryGate, toBigGate, heavyGate, StutterGate, missalignedLensGate, poorColorGate, pentileGate and a dozen other gates.

post #43 of 80
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post
If Android products were held to the same level we would have batteryGate, toBigGate, heavyGate, StutterGate, missalignedLensGate, poorColorGate, pentileGate and a dozen other gates.

 

InexplicablyUnableToScrollSmoothlyDespiteHavingAGigAndAHalfGHzProcessorgate.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #44 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

 

Unfortunately or not, this also happens to people who know how to take pictures, use expensive camera and expect perfection.

 

Certainly a better understanding of the physics behind the issue would be appropriate. And equally sound, would be to destroy, remove and/or keep to oneself those photos one takes and finds objectionable.

 

As the attached article states,  "It [flare] can lower the overall contrast of a photograph significantly and is often an undesired artifact, however some types of flare may actually enhance the artistic meaning of a photo. Understanding lens flare can help you use it — or avoid it — in a way which best suits how you wish to portray the final image." 

 
Hav'n taken literally thousands of photos on my Canon F1, most of my 'flared' prints were accidental. However, many of those were quite salvageable with a simple crop. In fact, these so-called mistakes were often declared by my audiences as being quite artistic to which I admit was highly unwarranted, but neither denied by oneself.

You made my point, it is about understanding the camera the physics. The people who understand do not complain to Nikon or Canon they do the necessary thing to correct.

 

I taken so many photos and have my fair share of bad photo's since I did not pay attention to any number of things and I except it for what it is worth, I do not blame the equipment I blame the user.

 

Again, you can only expect so much out of a cheap camera, it is not purple haze in this case it grainy pictures in low light or focus issue and so on and so on.

 

What people fail to understand this maybe the trade of you get for putting a cheap 8MP camera in a phone, going to 3MP or 5MP may other issue. question is can apple or any company compensate for these thing in software.

post #45 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Easy. I'm for CR when they actually do a reasonable test and reach a scientifically supportable conclusion.
I'm against CR when they editorialize and make pronouncements based on nothing but unfounded opinions.
So what part of that don't you understand?

A fair weather friend are you?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #46 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Not from what I have seen.  The GSIII can flare like mad.  The difference is people look for every little flaw in an Apple product and add a "gate" at the end of thinking they are smart.  If Android products were held to the same level we would have batteryGate, toBigGate, heavyGate, StutterGate, missalignedLensGate, poorColorGate, pentileGate and a dozen other gates.

 

The universal solution to defects in Android products is to simply troll about the usual '-gates' in Apple products.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #47 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

InexplicablyUnableToScrollSmoothlyDespiteHavingAGigAndAHalfGHzProcessorgate.

Tell me again how long you used an Android device for?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #48 of 80
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Tell me again how long you used an Android device for?


Few days, why? lol.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #49 of 80

well duh. But here's the thing, Apple is the top dog. The media loves to build people/companies up and tear them down the next day. They enjoy that sadistic side of "journalism". Apple should solved the purple haze issue and world peace for that matter.

post #50 of 80

So, this non-story perpetuated by Gizmodo gets whored-out to every blog and news-site out there, who mindlessly parrot this 'issue' with the iPhone 5, without doing a shred of research into whether it's actually an issue specific to the device. Now, we have shocking reports that this actually ISNT an issue, and again, sites like CNN can put up another story for click-whoring. The responsible thing to do would have to do some research before posting the original story, and see if it had any sort of journalistic merit, and if not, then not publish it. But thats not how 'news' works these days, as having journalistic integrity gets you less eyeballs, and less $$. 

 

I'm glad now some of these places are stating the obvious, which is that this wasn't an issue toi begin with, as anyone with a shred of camera knowledge realized the instant this 'purple-gate' was published and predictably every blog and their dog jumped on yet another opportunity to mindlessly bash Apple. 

post #51 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So are we supposed to be for or against CR, then?

 

LOL

The problem with CR is that they really don't the best testing of computer, audio and video gear as far as I'm concerned.  Probably because they are not really experts in these areas.  It's hard getting decent reviews from typical magazines since many times the reviewer is biased and/or due to how much money the company spends in advertising.  

 

Yes, we need groups protecting the consumer, but we also have to realize that they sometimes don't judge by the things they should or they raise silly reasons like this.  Camera flare happens regardless of the brand and model of camera.  It's all about where the direct light is coming from.

post #52 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Camera flare happens regardless of the brand and model of camera.  It's all about where the direct light is coming from.

 

Someone needs to tell that to Gizmodo 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #53 of 80

My previous iPhone 4 had much worse lens flare than my iPhone 5.

post #54 of 80
This has to be one of the stupidest 'gates' ever.
post #55 of 80
I have a slightly different issue...when it's really dark, my pictures come out black. 1wink.gif
post #56 of 80

Jimi would be pleased to see all the purple haze in our eyes :-)

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Haze  :: for the uncultured out there

post #57 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post

I have a slightly different issue...when it's really dark, my pictures come out black. 1wink.gif

Worse, you see yourself.  1wink.gif

post #58 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post

I have a slightly different issue...when it's really dark, my pictures come out black. 1wink.gif

 

Mine come out with a big pink blur covering most of the picture...

 

...my wife told me I was holding it wrong, I ain't falling for that bullshit, I'll hold it any damn way I please, Apple should fix this immediately, fingers and thumbs should be invisible when over the lens.

 

lol.gif

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #59 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuselppa View Post

blah, blah, blah
If Steve were still alive, blah, blah, blah

I make a motion that from this day forward, this comment should result in an immediate ban!
And if ... 1wink.gif

post #60 of 80
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post
I make a motion that from this day forward, this comment should result in an immediate ban!

And if ... 1wink.gif

 

"And if" what? I'm all ears. 👂👂

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #61 of 80

I imagine the offices at CR are full of this...

 

 

post #62 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsQueen View Post

Hopefully we can put this ignorance to an end once and for all.

 

Not likely. An iPhone user buys a phone and is happy with the choice. A Fandroid buys a phone and is unhappy with other people's choices.

post #63 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

"And if" what? I'm all ears. 👂👂

Someone were still something, someone would agree with this comment.

post #64 of 80
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post
Someone were still something, someone would agree with this comment.

 

*silent thumbs-up while looking contemplative and nodding*

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #65 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

"And if" what? I'm all ears. 👂👂

The ears don't match properly.

 

Cheers

post #66 of 80
Originally Posted by minicapt View Post
The ears don't match properly.

 

Cheers

 

There's only a left ear emoji. 👂👃

 

Chears.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #67 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsQueen View Post

Hopefully we can put this ignorance to an end once and for all. This goes to both Android and iOS users.

Have you been reading any of the comments at all ?

All the FUD came from the android supporters, us Apple supporters simply used our greater reasoning powers and intellect to refute their bile.

I think you should amend your post, I'm waiting ...

post #68 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

 

 

two wrongs make a right - apple -  Perhaps that's why  Android / Windows phones don't cost as much.

?  I don't get your comment, but I'm not surpassed based on your history of trolling.

Don't they like you at android central anymore ?

post #69 of 80

I think Microsoft is behind all the FUD.

All the *gates have a word that is common with a particular ex CEO. I rest my case !

post #70 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So are we supposed to be for or against CR, then?

 

LOL

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.. haha. 1wink.gif

post #71 of 80

Isn't this normal for the human eye and any camera lens? Maybe not the purple coloring, but if you look into the sun or take a photo into the sun especially for longer than needed you get sun flare - the color of the flare is inconsequential it still happens. This is natural, don't most people put their hand over the cam when there is too much sun anyway? Seems like a silly thing being blown wayyyy out of proportion.

post #72 of 80
It's a violet haze (purple isn't a spectral colour, it's a mixture of blue and red) and it's caused by lens flare: reflection and scattering from lens-element surfaces exposed to oblique light. It's the reason real cameras have lens hoods and why prime lenses generally give better contrast and colour clarity than zoom lenses (with many more elements).
post #73 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzos View Post

It's the reason real cameras have lens hoods

 

Hand = nature's lens hood.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #74 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post

the fact that it is sooooo purple and how easy it is to reproduce compared to other cameras is what does matter.

 

If you had read the CR article you are posting about, you would realize what you said is completely wrong. Here is the critical part:

 

"But it didn't do so in any more pronounced a fashion than did the iPhone 4S or two Android-based smart phones, the Samsung Galaxy S III and Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, when we tested those under the same conditions."

 

See, wasn't that easy? No need to apologize, just make an effort to be informed before posting next time.

post #75 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So, this non-story perpetuated by Gizmodo gets whored-out to every blog and news-site out there, who mindlessly parrot this 'issue' with the iPhone 5, without doing a shred of research into whether it's actually an issue specific to the device. Now, we have shocking reports that this actually ISNT an issue, and again, sites like CNN can put up another story for click-whoring. The responsible thing to do would have to do some research before posting the original story, and see if it had any sort of journalistic merit, and if not, then not publish it. But thats not how 'news' works these days, as having journalistic integrity gets you less eyeballs, and less $$. 

 

I'm glad now some of these places are stating the obvious, which is that this wasn't an issue toi begin with, as anyone with a shred of camera knowledge realized the instant this 'purple-gate' was published and predictably every blog and their dog jumped on yet another opportunity to mindlessly bash Apple. 

 

Speak for yourself.  Here's a photo from the 5:

 

http://asset2.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/10/07/photo_%252817%2529_610x413.jpg

 

Here's a photo yesterday from my 4S:

 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A45SpFVCIAQvlNJ.jpg

 

I prefer the natural yellow-orangish flare, as opposed to the purple.  I don't mind normal light haze, but when someone's face is partially purple in my photos and the nearby lighting is white, it just doesn't look right.  I gave up on the 5 and went back to the 4S...I'll wait until they spray the 5 with a UV coating or something and fix the weird purple color.

post #76 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

InexplicablyUnableToScrollSmoothlyDespiteHavingAGigAndAHalfGHzProcessorgate.

More like unable to scroll smoothly because the entire display manager runs on top of Java...  

 

OSes like Maemo,  Meego, WebOS and now Tizen were always technically better than Android, but Android won because of Google's support. 

post #77 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post



It is funny how you use the word "informed" LOL
I thought that being informed means to gather information from multiple sources (the more the better) and then come to a reasonable conclusion and not just to nod on every piece of news supporting your view.
No need to apologize though :)
 

 

iPhone 5 sample shot:

 

http://asset2.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/10/07/photo_%252817%2529_610x413.jpg

 

iPhone 4S sample shot:

 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A45SpFVCIAQvlNJ.jpg

 

I prefer the natural yellowish-orange flare to the purple myself.  I returned my 5 because of the excessive purple haze.  It was just weird to have shots of people with purple on their faces instead of the normal white haze or yellow sun glare.  My guess is that they skipped out on doing a UV coat on the 5's camera, and perhaps it's only limited to the initial rushed batch, who knows.  Someone did a test with a third-party UV filter and it got rid of the purple on the iPhone 5:

 

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/10/04/iphone-5-purple-flare-its-the-purple-not-the-flare/

 

It's just a stupid response from Apple to change the angle of your shot or hold your hand over the camera, when the 4S didn't do that.  Look at my shot on the 4S above...directly into the sun with a nice large sunspot, and yet zero purple.  Yes, all cameras have some degree of chromatic aberration or purple fringing, just not with the same amount as a lot of the iPhone 5's seem to have.  It annoyed me enough that I downgraded.

post #78 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaidomac View Post

 

iPhone 5 sample shot:

 

http://asset2.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/10/07/photo_%252817%2529_610x413.jpg

 

iPhone 4S sample shot:

 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A45SpFVCIAQvlNJ.jpg

 

I prefer the natural yellowish-orange flare to the purple myself.  I returned my 5 because of the excessive purple haze.  It was just weird to have shots of people with purple on their faces instead of the normal white haze or yellow sun glare.  My guess is that they skipped out on doing a UV coat on the 5's camera, and perhaps it's only limited to the initial rushed batch, who knows.  Someone did a test with a third-party UV filter and it got rid of the purple on the iPhone 5:

 

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/10/04/iphone-5-purple-flare-its-the-purple-not-the-flare/

 

It's just a stupid response from Apple to change the angle of your shot or hold your hand over the camera, when the 4S didn't do that.  Look at my shot on the 4S above...directly into the sun with a nice large sunspot, and yet zero purple.  Yes, all cameras have some degree of chromatic aberration or purple fringing, just not with the same amount as a lot of the iPhone 5's seem to have.  It annoyed me enough that I downgraded.

I can't accept that with the evidence you supplied. 

 

Especially after reviewing Fat Toni's pics, (Review Slide Show, especially his top 10 on page 2.

post #79 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I can't accept that with the evidence you supplied. 

 

Especially after reviewing Fat Toni's pics, (Review Slide Show, especially his top 10 on page 2.

 

Well then :D

 

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/180c7n48voye9jpg/original.jpg

 

http://www.trbimg.com/img-506374b0/turbine/la-fi-tn-iphone-5-camera-purple-20120926-001/600

 

http://www3.pcmag.com/media/images/301087-iphone-5-lens-flare.jpg

 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A3hY-vHCIAANDbg.jpg

 

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A3Wugy_CYAAAtrM.jpg

 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A3Z5DFtCIAAQSjx.jpg

 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A3bSmH8CEAE-c-o.jpg

 

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A3ZyAiwCAAAh7hC.jpg

 

I have plenty more if you'd like ;)  We've shot a bunch on 5 or 10 iPhone 5's at work, all with the same results.  Nobody's iPhone 4S in our group is that bad (4 or 5 of those tested).  As far as the 5's purple flare - it's not in every shot, but it's in enough that we noticed it.  I'm back on my 4S now and don't have any purple haze issues.  Here's another sun flare shot on my 4S from yesterday:

 

http://i.imgur.com/D3dSS.jpg

 

If that was purple, it would not look right.  White/yellow/orange haze/flare looks right.  Purple looks like Barney ;)

post #80 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaidomac View Post

 

Speak for yourself.  Here's a photo from the 5:

 

http://asset2.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/10/07/photo_%252817%2529_610x413.jpg

 

Here's a photo yesterday from my 4S:

 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A45SpFVCIAQvlNJ.jpg

 

I prefer the natural yellow-orangish flare, as opposed to the purple.  I don't mind normal light haze, but when someone's face is partially purple in my photos and the nearby lighting is white, it just doesn't look right.  I gave up on the 5 and went back to the 4S...I'll wait until they spray the 5 with a UV coating or something and fix the weird purple color.

 

Here's a photo from my 5, where I deliberately induced flare:-

 

 

 

Here's the same scene where I adjusted the angle of the phone by a few degres:-

 

 

 

 

Pictures were cropped, there has been no other post processing.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Consumer Reports: 'Purple haze' not limited to iPhone 5, Android cameras also have flare
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Consumer Reports: 'Purple haze' not limited to iPhone 5, Android cameras also have flare