or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › iCloud, MS Office for Mac and iWork

iCloud, MS Office for Mac and iWork

post #1 of 2

I use Microsoft PowerPoint, Word and Excel for business presentations, documents and spreadsheets. I've used them for years. I still use them, because I so familiar with them. I think that the new version of Office for Mac 2011 is a step back versus the previous one, which had floating palettes that provided great functionality. Office hangs or crashes frequently and there are still compatibility issues between Windows and Mac files. 

I find myself creating documents in Office for Mac and then saving them as iWork documents so I can store them in iCloud, which works quite well. I like iWork, but Keynote, Pages and Numbers simply don't offer the same level of functionality as Office. IWork is much more stable, but ultimately Office pips it because it is just so familiar. 

I would love to see a substantial update to iWork - surely one is due now? I would love to be able to share documents more easily between platforms. 

I am surprised that more Appleinsiders don't complain about this. 

I wonder when Apple will buy Microsoft - just so it can sort out Office. 

post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

I use Microsoft PowerPoint, Word and Excel for business presentations, documents and spreadsheets. I've used them for years. I still use them, because I so familiar with them. I think that the new version of Office for Mac 2011 is a step back versus the previous one, which had floating palettes that provided great functionality. Office hangs or crashes frequently and there are still compatibility issues between Windows and Mac files. 

I find myself creating documents in Office for Mac and then saving them as iWork documents so I can store them in iCloud, which works quite well. I like iWork, but Keynote, Pages and Numbers simply don't offer the same level of functionality as Office. IWork is much more stable, but ultimately Office pips it because it is just so familiar. 

I would love to see a substantial update to iWork - surely one is due now? I would love to be able to share documents more easily between platforms. 

I am surprised that more Appleinsiders don't complain about this. 

I wonder when Apple will buy Microsoft - just so it can sort out Office. 

Apple will buy Microsoft when it has $300+ billion in the bank.  Which, in all likelyhood, will never happen.  

I personally prefer Google Docs.  Syncing between PC to other PC to Phone coupled with Cloud printing and easy sharing/collaborating plus the cost is just too good to resist.  

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › iCloud, MS Office for Mac and iWork