or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple's new iPod commercial focuses on colors instead of features

Apple's new iPod commercial focuses on colors instead of features

post #1 of 51
Coming on the heels of reports that some iPod touch orders are being shipped out, Apple on Wednesday released a new TV ad for its iPod family of products, highlighting the revamped media players first announced in September.

The commercial, first seen at Apple's iPhone and iPod special event in September, is called "Bounce" and features the entire iPod product line, from the smallest iPod shuffle to the fifth-generation iPod touch.

Using Willy Moon's song "Yeah Yeah," the spot focuses on the variety of colorways now offered throughout the iPod line, starting with the flagship iPod touch, which "breaks apart" into two units, then into three iPod nanos, which splash into a sea of iPod shuffles.

Living up to its tagline, "Every iPod now in color," the commercial marks Apple's return to fun, colorful iPod-centric TV ads after taking a turn toward the unexpected this past summer.
post #2 of 51
Wow
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #3 of 51

What they did not do today was send out invitations for a media event next week.

post #4 of 51
My 13 year old and 17 year old love it.

Me? Meh. 1hmm.gif
post #5 of 51
After complaining so much about the last two batches of commercials.. I'd just like to say that this was great.

post #6 of 51

that's the ticket

post #7 of 51

Cut a little too quickly, but I love the premise.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #8 of 51
Classy.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #9 of 51
Very Nice...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #10 of 51

NICE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My 13 year old and 17 year old love it.
Me? Meh. 1hmm.gif

My son can't make up his mind about the color. I am taking him to the store to choose one on the spot when they hit the stores.

post #11 of 51
fun, vibrate - on brand. Phew!
post #12 of 51

Better than Ears are weird. It's snappier!

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #13 of 51
VERY COOL commercial!
post #14 of 51
Great!! Love this!! Return to true Apple spirit, class and style. This is a great testament that Apple creative is as vibrant and alive as ever.
post #15 of 51
wait for iPad mini, much cooler than iPod touch.
post #16 of 51
Originally Posted by chudq View Post

And far harder to fit in a pocket and use in any capacity like you'd use an iPod touch, thereby rendering it pointless as an offered replacement… 

😕

post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by chudq View Post

meh
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
post #18 of 51
They neglected to mention that they raised the price
post #19 of 51
Originally Posted by Rodent View Post
They neglected to mention that they raised the price

Probably because they didn't.

If you're gonna troll, don't be so bad at it.

And no, that's NOT "free license" for you to troll if you do it well. The "If you're going to troll, shut up and go away" is implied. lol.gif

Edited by Tallest Skil - 10/10/12 at 8:44pm

post #20 of 51
So when do the lawsuits drop????

My daughters 4th Gen iPod Touch lasted a week before she dropped it, and the screen shattered...

I didn't see any fine print saying "Do not bounce your iPods"...
Dr
Pepper
Crew
Dr
Pepper
Crew
post #21 of 51
This means that full iPod lineup, iPad lineup and iPhone could receive color. Making it IOS representing color.
post #22 of 51

Apple's new iPod commercial focuses on colors instead of features

K.

Why is that even worth highlighting in the article? 

Does the commercial really need to focus on "features" at this point? It's a friggin' iPod. It doesn't even *need* a commercial. It has no viable competition, except from the iPhone or the *next* iPod. 

post #23 of 51
Florescent iPods? If Jonny says so.
I suppose the Tweens must love them but can you imagine the scratches after a month?
post #24 of 51
Back on track. Fun, creative and not sarcastic or juvenile.
post #25 of 51
I like it.
post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And far harder to fit in a pocket and use in any capacity like you'd use an iPod touch, thereby rendering it pointless as an offered replacement… 

😕
Oh ye of little faith, understanding and vision. Doth harperh on. As a pocket wielding music player the iPad mini surely will not do, but for the millions of kiddies who use their iPods exclusively for gaming and fun and who never take their pods further than to the car, the iPad mini a perfect replacement will make.
post #27 of 51
Love the idea and the execution, don't love the song choice.

Steve would have picked a better song. 1tongue.gif
post #28 of 51
It's a great spot. Apple back in form.
(@buckalec Yeah, I'll also add "phew!")
post #29 of 51
Wow that is a really nice spot. Curious to see who animated it.
post #30 of 51
So much better than their stupid iPhone ads.
post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

I suppose the Tweens must love them but can you imagine the scratches after a month?
It's Jony not Jonny. God even trolls can't get his name right.
post #32 of 51
Quote:

In terms of scratching; these colored aluminum iPods are different than previous colored aluminum iPods how?

post #33 of 51

Commercial is too short (30 seconds)  to focus on features. Color animation is the catch to get the people to investigate what the features are.

post #34 of 51
Quote:

Florescent iPods? I think you are really losing it. They don't fluoresce, and they don't have "florescent colours."  

Also, you spelled "Jony" incorrectly, and "tweens" are the major market of the iPod nano, not the regular iPod. 

Do you even know the English language (or how to think) at all?  

post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Commercial is too short (30 seconds)  to focus on features. Color animation is the catch to get the people to investigate what the features are.

I don't think that's the reason.

Look at the marketing. Apple already has the lion's share of the PMP market. There's no competition to speak of, so there's no need to take business away from competitors. And anyone who wants a PMP has one (in fact, the market is likely to decline because many people are starting to use their phone as a PMP so they don't have to carry multiple devices).

So what's left for Apple to do? Try to get existing customers to buy new ones. And since the existing ones are so good and do everything that they're supposed to do, features don't help to sell more. So you're left with fashion.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #36 of 51

That was pretty great. Breakdancing iPods! These are mostly going to be for kids/teens so I feel like this approach nailed it.

post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

What they did not do today was send out invitations for a media event next week.

Yeah, what happened to DeWitt and his sources that confirmed the invites would go out today.

Cue more 'delay' rumors.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

. . . the spot focuses on the variety of colorways now offered throughout the iPod line . . .

So are we now stuck with this, the stupidest and most insipid marketing term I've ever heard in my life of 70 years? "Colorways"? How are different colors "ways"?

I am ready to give up. You kids are committing linguicide. Please stop it right now! Speek Nglish!
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The commercial, first seen at Apple's iPhone and iPod special event in September, is called "Bounce" and features the entire iPod product line, from the smallest iPod shuffle to the fifth-generation iPod touch.

Can AI writers please get their facts straight? The "entire iPod product line" currently includes the 16GB iPod Touch (4th generation) as well as the iPod Classic.
post #40 of 51
Apple knows how to pace a commercial to grab the youth's short MTV attention span...
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple's new iPod commercial focuses on colors instead of features