or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google's Schmidt says Apple and Android struggle is the 'defining fight in the industry today'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google's Schmidt says Apple and Android struggle is the 'defining fight in the industry today' - Page 4

post #121 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Get ready for Godwyn:
I think a lot of hatred leveled at Schmidt, is because of his Germanic last name and uncanny resemblance to the Nazi commandant in Indiana Jones - Raiders of the Lost Ark.

 

LOL. Not likely. And the original proper title was Raiders of the Lost Ark, not Indiana Jones Episode I: Greedo Shoots First.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #122 of 149

Oh, so that's what the forum update added: a thing in the sidebar with "recent images in the thread".

 

… Why do we care? I mean, in most threads those will just be my images, and if you want to see them, you can read my posts. lol.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #123 of 149

Who here want's a self driving car?

 

And how on earth could the experience be "life changing"?

 

Schmidt clearly has "one wheel in the ditch".

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply
post #124 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


No. Android still belongs to Google. Samsung just makes most money off of it. Not sure what your point was.

 

I thought Android belonged to the Open Handset Alliance, well officially anyway.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #125 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post


Sorry but you are wasting your time in explaining this well known and proven fact to these people. Just wait for the reply (if you even get one), it will be hilarious.

 

Read my tag line, that says it all.

 

Android has been found by various courts to have infringed 17 patents.

 

Which justifies S Jobs' view that Android is indeed a "stolen product".

 

If Schmidt had followed Jobs' advice then I doubt there would have been any issues with Android.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #126 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Apple lost nothing.

That is, of course, nonsense.

There have been many attempts to make Android look as much like iOS as possible. There are plenty of documented cases where Google stole Apple's technologies. Are you really going to pretend that Apple wouldn't have been more successful against the Blackberry look-alike that existed before Google started copying Apple?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #127 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

Read my tag line, that says it all.

 

Android has been found by various courts to have infringed 17 patents.

 

Which justifies S Jobs' view that Android is indeed a "stolen product".

Taking the Mueller line? Using the same reasoning if iOS infringes on anyone else's IP, is it also a stolen product?

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #128 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Taking the Mueller line? Using the same reasoning if iOS infringes on anyone else's IP, is it also a stolen product?

 

The 1 patent Android "won", which Motorola enforced in Germany, was worked around, hence no MobileMe push email on iOS devices there.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #129 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Actually, if you look at demographics, iPhone users have a substantially higher median household income than Android users.
http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2012/10/sorry-samsung-iphone-is-not-your-mothers-smartphone.php

That really says nothing. Of course percentage of "rich" people among Android owners will be watered down by availability of cheap Android devices.

More interesting question is - what is actual number of people within those 25.5% of "wealthy" Android users, compared to actual number of people among those 40.7% of iPhone users.

If you have, say, 1,000,000,000 iPhone users and 40.7% of them are wealthy, it will give you 407,000,000 wealthy iPhone users.

If you have, say, 2,000,000,000 Android phone users and 25.5% are wealthy, it will give you 510,000,000 wealthy Android phone users.
post #130 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Taking the Mueller line? Using the same reasoning if iOS infringes on anyone else's IP, is it also a stolen product?

You don't appear to be the type of person who would appreciate beauty.

Apple makes beautiful things, the majority of others simply make me-too's (poorly) or hideous things.

I don't recollect you having once said anything nice about an Apple product, perhaps I'm wrong, and even if you did, it doesn't offset all the negativity you show.

I guess you are a negative type of guy, but its not my lot in life to change you, maybe others have tried and failed.

Many have accused you of being a paid shrill, maybe you are/aren't, but please tell me anyway, what is your motive in all of this, what do you hope to gain ?

To educate us, to show us the errors of of our ways ? If so, why is this so important to you ?

post #131 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

Who here want's a self driving car?

 

And how on earth could the experience be "life changing"?

 

Schmidt clearly has "one wheel in the ditch".

 

I myself do not want one but the statistics do not lie.  Less younger people are getting their licenses and it is a well known fact that being the passenger is more fun now because you can text, FB, watch a movie, read a book and do many other things while sitting in the car.  The driver gets to sit in traffic and is penalized for even looking at this phone (where I live, there is a law - rightfully so I believe).

 

Google knows where things are headed and they are into everything as a company.  Everyone thinks of them as a search and phone OS company but they are in the business of getting your eyeballs to use their products for advertising revenue.  Don't let your dislikes blind you from what is happening and where we are headed.

post #132 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefoid View Post

 

That's not evidence, that's just your view of things - one that many will disagree with.

 

 

And where in any of that does it state that Schmidt abused his position while on the Apple board?  Nowhere.  I'm not disputing the fact that Android was influenced by iOS, just this crap that it was Schmidt that did it.  Nobody, ever, anywhere or at any time has provided any sort of evidence that this happened, its all just conjecture and hearsay.

yes - actual evidence , showing this.. showing from googles records that they were using a blackberry deisgn until right at the last minute.  go and read some FACTS from the case instead of smoking your reefa and spreading your BS on this site. if you spent half the time visiting / reading / learning about the cases , we wouldn't have to listen to your ill-informed BS on this site., 

post #133 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

The 1 patent Android "won", which Motorola enforced in Germany, was worked around, hence no MobileMe push email on iOS devices there.

That wasn't an Android win. No one has ever been sued over infringing an Android feature have they so how could it be claimed a win by Android? Florian does the same thing, claiming 17 "patent wins" over Android. Not true. Many, perhaps all, are cases over exterior designs and skinned features choices from licensees rather than actual core Android.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #134 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2af View Post

yes - actual evidence , showing this.. showing from googles records that they were using a blackberry deisgn until right at the last minute.  go and read some FACTS from the case instead of smoking your reefa and spreading your BS on this site. if you spent half the time visiting / reading / learning about the cases , we wouldn't have to listen to your ill-informed BS on this site., 

They took nearly 2 years from iPhone announcement to G1 announcement. What that is evidence of which is rather obvious is that the iPhone influenced the direction of Android...which, believe it or not, is not a crime, is not wrong, and is actually fucking smart.

What evidence do you have that Schmidt abused his position on Apple's board, stole secrets and whatever and then told Google to make a copy that's not actually a copy?

None...you yearn to hate Google and Schmidt and anyone who may compete with your beloved Apple even if it requires you invent things that make zero sense to further your irrational hatred.
post #135 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


They took nearly 2 years from iPhone announcement to G1 announcement. What that is evidence of which is rather obvious is that the iPhone influenced the direction of Android...which, believe it or not, is not a crime, is not wrong, and is actually fucking smart.
What evidence do you have that Schmidt abused his position on Apple's board, stole secrets and whatever and then told Google to make a copy that's not actually a copy?
None...you yearn to hate Google and Schmidt and anyone who may compete with your beloved Apple even if it requires you invent things that make zero sense to further your irrational hatred.

oh, my mistake. - you are saying that all the time the schmidt was on the board looking at the iphone design, they were very happy with the blackberry version they made, and it was only afterwards - once he had stepped down, they decided to make the massive u-turn in the UI and clone the iphone. 


Edited by t2af - 10/12/12 at 9:03am
post #136 of 149

If any company wanted to know about iPhone features all they had to do was buy one. How would being on Apple's board assist engineers with designing comparable smartphone features within Android? How did it assist with creating any Android code for anything? Taking inspiration from another's successful product is pretty darn common, as well as good business practice. Even Apple does it, as innovative as they are.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #137 of 149
Originally Posted by t2af View Post
…it was only afterwards - once he had stepped down, they decided to make the massive u-turn in the UI and clone the iPhone. 

 

He was kicked off the board in aught nine, about a year after the first Android phone and two after the introduction of the iPhone.


I agree with some of your premise, however.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #138 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

He was kicked off the board in aught nine, about a year after the first Android phone and two after the introduction of the iPhone.


I agree with some of your premise, however.

Then about the same time as Google released another of their newly engineered products, Google Chrome, which competed with Safari?

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #139 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

This comment makes you look like a piece of shit.  Please realize that there is no way to lump such a large group of people into categories like "freeloaders" or "wealthy" based off of a single consumer decision.  I hope you don't actually believe what you wrote, but you probably do.

lets just refer to them as the 47%-ers.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #140 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

He was kicked off the board in aught nine, about a year after the first Android phone and two after the introduction of the iPhone.


I agree with some of your premise, however.

are you using voice to text dictation? 

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #141 of 149

Debate and suing makes the innovation.. hopefully better but worst always come on the way!

post #142 of 149
Originally Posted by snova View Post
are you using voice to text dictation? 

 

No. Was that poor grammar? I'm sorry. I type out "aught" occasionally when talking about the naughties. 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #143 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2af View Post

oh, my mistake. - you are saying that all the time the schmidt was on the board looking at the iphone design, they were very happy with the blackberry version they made, and it was only afterwards - once he had stepped down, they decided to make the massive u-turn in the UI and clone the iphone. 

This L...is a clone of this L.

This R is not a clone of this B...

Similar...sure, maybe even inspired by the curves of the B...perhaps it felt that the B was the direction text is heading in...so instead of coming out as an L which the makers of R felt was now instantly outdated by the much more advanced and impressive B they add 2 lines and a curve to the L and rerelease it hoping to not be shut out of the future of mobile computing ushered in masterfully by the makers of the B.

crime?
post #144 of 149
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post
This L...is a clone of this L.
This R is not a clone of this B...
Similar...sure, maybe even inspired by the curves of the B...perhaps it felt that the B was the direction text is heading in...so instead of coming out as an L which the makers of R felt was now instantly outdated by the much more advanced and impressive B they add 2 lines and a curve to the L and rerelease it hoping to not be shut out of the future of mobile computing ushered in masterfully by the makers of the B.
crime?

 

Instead of obfuscation through obscurity, why not just use the actual product names.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #145 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


This L...is a clone of this L.
This R is not a clone of this B...
Similar...sure, maybe even inspired by the curves of the B...perhaps it felt that the B was the direction text is heading in...so instead of coming out as an L which the makers of R felt was now instantly outdated by the much more advanced and impressive B they add 2 lines and a curve to the L and rerelease it hoping to not be shut out of the future of mobile computing ushered in masterfully by the makers of the B.
crime?

 

 

A math equation?

post #146 of 149
The Google map builds are already leaked. Betcha the new Google map app will be vector based; the old one was not. And betcha it offers turn by turn, which Google refused to provide to Apple. So, soon, IOS users will have the best of both worlds: Apple and Google maps both. Win, win, Apple.
post #147 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatusmiles View Post


A math equation?

Oh gawd it reminds me of my 1st year maths logic subject in uni. I had no idea what was going on, which was made all the more disturbing because the lecturer was like 70 years old or something.
post #148 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If any company wanted to know about iPhone features all they had to do was buy one. How would being on Apple's board assist engineers with designing comparable smartphone features within Android? How did it assist with creating any Android code for anything? Taking inspiration from another's successful product is pretty darn common, as well as good business practice. Even Apple does it, as innovative as they are.

With Android, I think Steve Jobs didn't expect it to turn out like it did. He was expecting maybe a knee in the back, perhaps a knife, but instead it was a shotgun. Close range while he was making Schmidt pancakes.

That said, Android 4.1 is pretty impressive. I got my Nexus 7, quite nice, not getting the iPad mini. I also have a Sony Xperia S. Total nonsense but that's because it's on 2.3.7 and 4.x should be better, it's rolling out now. Still like my iPhone 5 but doesn't feel "quite right" at times, got an iPhone 4 for testing. iPad 3 is good, iPad 4 no way for now.

I love Apple, but Android is innovating better now than iOS and they've really tried to address tons of issues like handset makers screwing the platform up, choppiness, etc.

OMG.

I AM NOW LIKE GATORGUY AND DAHARDER.
post #149 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Oh gawd it reminds me of my 1st year maths logic subject in uni. I had no idea what was going on, which was made all the more disturbing because the lecturer was like 70 years old or something.

math is boring then 70 years old teacher... more boring. That would be hard to learn math...1wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google's Schmidt says Apple and Android struggle is the 'defining fight in the industry today'