or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google's next Nexus phone to be built by LG, unveiled this month

Google's next Nexus phone to be built by LG, unveiled this month

post #1 of 32
Google this month is set to show off its next flagship Nexus handset, which will reportedly be based on LG's existing Optimus G smartphone.

LG

Details of the new handset were reported on Thursday by Bloomberg. The partnership would make LG the third manufacturer to build a "pure Google" phone for the search giant that will run the stock Android operating system without any extra software or user interface skins.

Belarusian website Onliner even posted photos of what is claimed to be the final product, dubbed the LG E960 featuring the logos of both LG and Google on the back of the device. The device is rumored to have a 4.7-inch 1,280-by-768-pixel display powered by a quad-core Snapdragon S4 processor and 2 gigabytes of RAM.

The device is expected to be unveiled by Google at an event on Oct. 29. The new Nexus handset will compete directly with Apple's iPhone 5, which debuted last month.

LG

The expected launch of a new Nexus phone comes as Google's previous Nexus handset just won a reversal of a ban on sales. The Samsung Galaxy Nexus, which debuted last November, was barred from sale in June for violating patents owned by Apple, but that decision was overturned on Thursday.

In addition to Samsung, Google has also previously partnered with HTC to build Nexus handsets. Google's Nexus devices are sold to users with stock Android installed, but are also intended to serve as reference designs for other Android handset makers to emulate.

While Google's Nexus devices usually gain considerable buzz in the electronics community, that has failed so far to translate to actual sales to end users. Samsung revealed as part of its patent dispute with Apple that it only sold about 500,000 Nexus S phones in the U.S. between the device's launch in December of 2010 and the court filing in June of 2011.

Google also partnered with Asus on a 7-inch tablet that it launched this summer named the Nexus 7. The $199 device runs Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and is aimed at taking on Amazon's low-priced Kindle Fire tablet lineup.
post #2 of 32
Only 500k? Damn the Gnex must have sucked.

Either way I'm adding this phone to my collection too.
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
post #3 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

These phones aren't meant for the mass market. These are tech geek phones and usually very well made phones for their time. I have the Gnex and its still a very nice phone, not perfect and yes i'd still rather be back into iOS, but it is easy enough to hack and tinker with and that is for whom these phones are for. Not saying Google wouldn't like to sell lots of these though, because if they could they would.

Oh sorta wondering what other phones are in your collection?

post #4 of 32
Quote:

Nexus S is the second Nexus phone, the GNex is the Galaxy Nexus the 3rd phone, which should have had more sales

post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

These phones aren't meant for the mass market. These are tech geek phones and usually very well made phones for their time. I have the Gnex and its still a very nice phone, not perfect and yes i'd still rather be back into iOS, but it is easy enough to hack and tinker with and that is for whom these phones are for. Not saying Google wouldn't like to sell lots of these though, because if they could they would.

Oh sorta wondering what other phones are in your collection?

Every nexus phone except the G1, and Gnex, have my nexus 7 too. every single iPhone.

I really would have prefered HTC to be a manufacture again. Maybe LG with pure android will be a treat.
White Nexus 7 8GB
White Nexus 7 8GB
post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

These phones aren't meant for the mass market. These are tech geek phones and usually very well made phones for their time.

True, but I think that's a mistake. Aside from the Nexus series (and shorting of rooting), you can't buy "pure" Android phone. All that hard work Google puts into Android can only be experienced by less than 1% of the Android smartphone users.

With the exception of Nexus One, Google has been updating Nexus almost as soon as the major update is released. While it is possible to root their Android phones to update, that is something tech geeks would do (ironically enough), not the average consumers.

Hopefully, Motorola will join the rank and offer pure Android experience.

P.S. I have been an iPhone user since day 1 (original iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5).

post #7 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Nexus S is the second Nexus phone, the GNex is the Galaxy Nexus the 3rd phone, which should have had more sales

Another thing to point out is that number only pertains to the "Nexus S 4G", which was the Sprint Wimax variant which got released 5 months after the original on May 2011. The original Nexus S wasn't part of the lawsuit.

post #8 of 32
Quote:

Maybe LG with pure android will be a treat.

The good side about it is LG makes great IPS+ displays and avoids the oversaturated Pentile crap Samsung spits out, so if nothing else, the screen should be just as nice the iPhone.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #9 of 32

So Google is competing with Motorola?

How does that work?

post #10 of 32
OMG!!! The screen is only 4.7". How in the world do they expect this thing to sell?????? /s
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #11 of 32

LG.  A major fail company.  All LG products I have knows fail miserably.  Thats why Apple dropped LG from making their displays.  I had a friend who bought an LG refrigerator and it had to be repaired 4 times over the period of 5 years.  LG what a joke. 

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #12 of 32

Isn't LG the one that makes great hardware (bar htc) but never updates it's phones? Problem solved.

I actually think that google played well.. Moto has nothing to offer and is dead. htc is barely surving and LG has the means to attack sammy.

However.. HTC one + gti tdi RS turbo nexus? lol sounds good, right?

post #13 of 32
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post
LG.  A major fail company.  All LG products I have knows fail miserably.  Thats why Apple dropped LG from making their displays.  I had a friend who bought an LG refrigerator and it had to be repaired 4 times over the period of 5 years.  LG what a joke. 

They make spectacular dumb phones, though. The best stuff. LG was my favorite phone manufacturer before Apple came on the scene.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #14 of 32

I love my Nexus S. The iPhone 5 has the same screen height. If only it could have the exact same size, the Nexus S has the perfect size for me.

post #15 of 32

Whats shocking to me is that there still hasnt been an Android phone without major software or hardware drawbacks. Is it too much to ask for a STOCK phone with good build quality and a good screen? Doesn't exist yet. Galaxy Nexus is stock, yet the screen is garbage (I own one) and so is the camera. I despise skins and wouldn't touch Touchwiz with a 20 foot pole. HTC phones have great screens and build quality, but again, no stock OS. I hope this phone actually has a good screen (non-pentile), good build quality, camera, etc along with the stock OS. 

post #16 of 32
Quote:

I think it was available only on Sprint and a unlocked version for ATT and Tmobile.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

So Google is competing with Motorola?

How does that work?

This phone was in the works before Google bought MM.
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Whats shocking to me is that there still hasnt been an Android phone without major software or hardware drawbacks. Is it too much to ask for a STOCK phone with good build quality and a good screen? Doesn't exist yet. Galaxy Nexus is stock, yet the screen is garbage (I own one) and so is the camera. I despise skins and wouldn't touch Touchwiz with a 20 foot pole. HTC phones have great screens and build quality, but again, no stock OS. I hope this phone actually has a good screen (non-pentile), good build quality, camera, etc along with the stock OS. 

You're not supposed to use it for anything. You're supposed to root it, install some l337 hack on it, then brag about it on /. forums for geek cred.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

OMG!!! The screen is only 4.7". How in the world do they expect this thing to sell?????? /s

They no longer need to include the 'thumb stretcher'.

Cheers

post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Their washing machines are highly-rated.

post #21 of 32

It's about time Lucky Goldstar, always the bridesmaid, never the bride got their turn with an Optimus nexus.

I've got one of their phones somewhere, an optimus something or other, I believe it was the first dual core processor based phone ever released, broke the screen the only replacement I could find had the T-mobile logo on it.

One day I'll get around to figuring out how to transfer the contacts to an iPhone seeing as how the screen is now blank and Google sync only seemed to save about four of them.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I have to disagree, the Galaxy Nexus when it first came out was a god send, with the only two drawbacks being an older OMAP 4460 chip and a weak camera. The 720p screen crushed EVERYTHING before it including the Retina Display on the 4 & 4s, but now new displays have come out and the GNex isn't as good compared to the one on this phone, iPhone 5, or HTC One X.

I think this Nexus will be the flagship for all Android phones until the next Nexus is launched as most phones including the GSIII are using the dual core Snapdragon which has a mediocre GPU. This LG Nexus has a quad core A15 like chip and the Adreno 320 is as good as the SGX543MP3 in the iPhone 5, the only question is going to be how the camera is. 

post #23 of 32

Doesn't LG usually make garbage?

post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Smartphone wise, yes they have.
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

The 720p screen crushed EVERYTHING before it including the Retina Display on the 4 & 4s, 

Too bad it is pentile and based on the sub pixels isn't really 720p, although 720p isn't normally used to describe a screen, it's more of a video format.

post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

software mostly...their hardware has been aiight...my G2x I personally thought looked fine...the LG version of "stock" Android however has been one of the worst experiences of my life.
post #27 of 32
Quote:

I have to disagree, the Galaxy Nexus when it first came out was a god send, with the only two drawbacks being an older OMAP 4460 chip and a weak camera. The 720p screen crushed EVERYTHING before it including the Retina Display on the 4 & 4s, but now new displays have come out and the GNex isn't as good compared to the one on this phone, iPhone 5, or HTC One X.

I think this Nexus will be the flagship for all Android phones until the next Nexus is launched as most phones including the GSIII are using the dual core Snapdragon which has a mediocre GPU. This LG Nexus has a quad core A15 like chip and the Adreno 320 is as good as the SGX543MP3 in the iPhone 5, the only question is going to be how the camera is. 

iPhone 4S has almost identical screen attributes as the iPhone 5, yet in your warped way of thinking its not. Get a clue. And I love your comments about crushing everything out there. Ramble on, ramble on.
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Too bad it is pentile and based on the sub pixels isn't really 720p, although 720p isn't normally used to describe a screen, it's more of a video format.

True

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post

iPhone 4S has almost identical screen attributes as the iPhone 5, yet in your warped way of thinking its not. Get a clue. And I love your comments about crushing everything out there. Ramble on, ramble on.

There is no warped way of thinking, the Galaxy Nexus had a better screen than the iPhone 4 & 4s you can read numerous reviews attesting that simple as that. With that said Its not the top screen anymore, it held that title until the HTC One X came out, and the only other display as good as it is the one in iPhone 5 and the Optimus G which is the same as the one in this LG Nexus.

You mad cause i'm unbiased? Apple isn't at the top of the heap at everything, and when they do get passed they tend to jump the competition the next year. Ramble on, ramble on. 

post #29 of 32
Does Google going with LG for the new Nexus mean that Google is axing Samsung as an Android phone maker?

1biggrin.gif
post #30 of 32
Quote:

True

There is no warped way of thinking, the Galaxy Nexus had a better screen than the iPhone 4 & 4s you can read numerous reviews attesting that simple as that. With that said Its not the top screen anymore, it held that title until the HTC One X came out, and the only other display as good as it is the one in iPhone 5 and the Optimus G which is the same as the one in this LG Nexus.

You mad cause i'm unbiased? Apple isn't at the top of the heap at everything, and when they do get passed they tend to jump the competition the next year. Ramble on, ramble on.

Unbiased?

Why don't you fill us in about the effect on colour gamut of a pentile display, and how that relates to the Nexus Galaxy screen vs the iPhone 4 screen, given that the iPhone 4 screen has more sub pixels than the Galaxy Nexus screen.

post #31 of 32
Quote:

True

The Galaxy Nexus had a terrible screen.  HTC, Sony and LG have the nicest screens among Android phones.  Heck, my qHD HTC Amaze (S-LCD) has a much nicer screen than the 720p pentile AMOLED display on the GNex...  The best screen currently on an Android phone would likely have to be the HTC One X.  

post #32 of 32

But it's still not an iPhone. Only Samsung can make an "iPhone".

Wonder if will be able to "bump butts" and swap a playlist. That's a

ferature I'm sure to use each and every day of my life...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google's next Nexus phone to be built by LG, unveiled this month