or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Mapping app powered by Google Maps pulled from App Store

Mapping app powered by Google Maps pulled from App Store

post #1 of 72
A third-party mapping app called ClassicMap, which looked remarkably similar to Apple's defunct Google Maps-powered Maps app, was pulled from the iOS App Store on Thursday after only two days of availability.

ClassicMap
ClassicMap was pulled two days after hitting the iOS App Store. | Source: Pocketnow

The takedown of what was basically an unofficial Google Maps replacement, first discovered by Pocketnow (via CNET), comes amid a flurry of complaints and controversy surrounding Apple's new proprietary mapping solution released with iOS 6.

ClassicMaps, from developer Katsumi Kishikawa, aimed to bring back some of the features missing from the new iOS Maps, the most notable being data from Google's mapping service. While the app did offer a visual presentation strikingly similar to the original Apple Maps, reviewers found the software to be woefully inadequate when compared to competing options. According to one review from the Los Angeles Times, ClassicMap didn't offer point-to-point directions of any kind, and is "terrible for searching."

"If you type in an exact address you should be fine, but if you search for something by name sometimes the app won't even pretend to search. It'll just sit there ignoring you like a cat or a teenager," writes the LA Times' Salvador Rodriguez.

While ClassicMap may not have offered the optimal implementation of Google's massive mapping services database, the mere existence of such a product underscores a demand for alternatives to iOS Maps.

Since its debut alongside the iPhone 5 in September, Apple's iOS Maps has seen a barrage of negative comments and reviews, most of which compared the new app to the now defunct Google Maps-powered version offered before the launch of iOS 6.

Maps Location Inaccuracy
Incorrect locations seen in iOS Maps.

Of the many flaws found by consumers, most glaring are incorrect location data, lack of public transportation directions and visual inconsistencies in the 3-D "Flyover" feature. A number of other complaints focused on the obvious removal of Google's Street View, which recently returned to iOS in the form of Google Maps' mobile website.

It has been speculated that Apple moved to its proprietary solution in a move to distance itself from Google, creator of the competing Android operating system, and a recent report noted that the Cupertino company had at least a year remaining on its current contract with Google Maps. In an interview with the internet search giant's chairman Eric Schmidt on Wednesday, the rumors were somewhat confirmed as the executive made clear that Google's negotiated terms were rebuffed by Apple, which he said was determined to build its own mapping service.
post #2 of 72
Just when I thought we were out of milk, AppleInsider comes to the rescue!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #3 of 72

I knew it was only a matter of time before it would get pulled. By the look of the source code posted on GitHub, it does not use the documented Google Maps API which is a huge violation of Google's terms of service and that may be the reason. 

post #4 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Just when I thought we were out of milk, AppleInsider comes to the rescue!

Indeed.  Adding the bit about how "Apple's iOS Maps has seen a barrage of negative comments and reviews ..." every single time and to every single article is getting a bit old also.  Especially in light of the fact that actual testing of the app has proven that it isn't really that bad at all and that Google's data has it's own errors to worry about.  It might be time to change the phonograph.  

post #5 of 72
I still am very confident that a Google Maps app will not see the light of day on iOS... ever. Apple will reject it if Google produces one. This whole thing is all about getting rid of Google on iOS as much as possible.
post #6 of 72

Today's Google maps error is brought to you by U2 and their song "where the streets have no names"

It's a good thing I have iOS 6 to show me the way

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #7 of 72

its going to take a while before Apple maps are up to standard. Building maps is hard to start with, even harder when you respect peoples privacy.

post #8 of 72

Shit just got real. And rightfully so.   :)

post #9 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoadm View Post

its going to take a while before Apple maps are up to standard. Building maps is hard to start with, even harder when you respect peoples privacy.

And even harder when every little flaw will get blown out of proportion.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #10 of 72
You can have any color you like.

As long as it's not Google...
post #11 of 72
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

While the competitor's identical flaws are ignored, regardless of the timeframe in which they're brought up.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #12 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

While the competitor's identical flaws are ignored, regardless of the timeframe in which they're brought up.

Should Google perhaps earn bonus points for being wrong longer?

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you're misinformed."

-Mark Twain

post #13 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Bad Apple- first you crippled my 4GS

What is a 4GS?

Quote:
Now you jail me in by not allowing replacements enter you iOs to compete against your flawed MapApp.

How do you know why it was pulled?

post #14 of 72
Quote:

Bad Apple- first you crippled my 4GS by stripping out StreetView and replace it with Flyover which is gorgeous to look at but utterly useless. Now you jail me in by not allowing replacements enter your iOs to compete against your flawed MapApp. You will be held accountable. You make great desktops but this is getting old- FAST.

Get over yourself! There are plenty of options available for the iPhone, including Google maps, by just adding their web app to your home screen. This whole argument is getting quite silly and frankly, stupid.
post #15 of 72
@lkrupp
chrome?
youtube?
google voice?
google search?
gmail app?
google translate?
google ?
google shopper?
google remote?
orkut?
google drive?
google currents?
google latitude?
google play books?
google local?
last I checked, google was the default search engine.
and gmail has a button in the account setup screen for mail.app

the idea is to get google out of iOS (reducing apple's dependency on them). it's not to screw the users.
post #16 of 72
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post
What is a 4GS?

It's like an iPhone 5, only imaginary.

post #17 of 72
Quote:

Bad Apple- first you crippled my 4GS by stripping out StreetView and replace it with Flyover which is gorgeous to look at but utterly useless. Now you jail me in by not allowing replacements enter your iOs to compete against your flawed MapApp. You will be held accountable. You make great desktops but this is getting old- FAST.

Seriously? No really?

First, Apple advertises multiple great competitors!

Second, one of the previous commenters points out possible evidence of breach of terms of Google's service by this pulled app.

Third, I get you're upset that Apple replaced classic Maps with the new Maps app, but that doesn't mean every move Apple makes now is against your personal best interests.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
post #18 of 72
Since Apple does not prevent other apps from using third party mapping API I believe this was related to the developers use of Google Maps API terms of service.
post #19 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Since Apple does not prevent other apps from using third party mapping API I believe this was related to the developers use of Google Maps API terms of service.

yep - you want turn by turn? google is not your data provider.

https://developers.google.com/maps/terms

(c) No Navigation, Autonomous Vehicle Control, or Enterprise Applications. You must not use the Service or Content with any products, systems, or applications for or in connection with any of the following:

(i) real time navigation or route guidance, including but not limited to turn-by-turn route guidance that is synchronized to the position of a user's sensor-enabled device.

(ii) any systems or functions for automatic or autonomous control of vehicle behavior; or

(iii) enterprise dispatch, fleet management, business asset tracking or similar applications. If you want to engage in enterprise dispatch, fleet management, business asset tracking, or similar applications, please contact the Google Maps API for Business sales team to obtain a Google enterprise license. (If you are offering a non-enterprise implementation, you may use the Google Maps API(s) to track assets such as cars, buses or other vehicles, as long as your tracking application is made available to the public without charge. For example, you may offer a free, public Maps API Implementation that displays real-time public transit or other transportation status information.)
post #20 of 72
Quote:
... and a recent report noted that the Cupertino company had at least a year remaining on its current contract with Google Maps. ...

This keeps getting repeated, but it's never clearly stated, or perhaps even understood that this "year remaing" wa most likely from June 2012, not September 2012. So, at the time iOS 6 was released, another 9 months, or until 3 months prior to the likely release of iOS 7, which would have been a really bad time to try to put out a new iOS release just to update the mapping software. The time was right. Waiting 9 months would have been pointless.
post #21 of 72
1.) A 4S that runs on the "4G" AT&T network? Not that difficult to figure out.

When the name you use is the equivalent of calling the first MacBook Pro with 802.11n the "MacBook N" and expecting people to know what you mean, yeah, it's a problem.

2.) And no - not like that imaginary iPhone 6 you keep harping about.

Yes, the one I've said nothing about for over half a year and specifically denounced since then. That one. My stars, it's like if someone was making fun of a vegetarian turned omnivore by saying they used to only eat lettuce and expecting anyone to want to take their side.

Some real issues here.

post #22 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

yep - you want turn by turn? google is not your data provider.

https://developers.google.com/maps/terms

(c) 
No Navigation, Autonomous Vehicle Control, or Enterprise Applications.
 You must not use the Service or Content with any products, systems, or applications for or in connection with any of the following:

(i) real time navigation or route guidance, including but not limited to turn-by-turn route guidance that is synchronized to the position of a user's sensor-enabled device.

(ii) any systems or functions for automatic or autonomous control of vehicle behavior; or

(iii) enterprise dispatch, fleet management, business asset tracking or similar applications. If you want to engage in enterprise dispatch, fleet management, business asset tracking, or similar applications, please contact the Google Maps API for Business sales team
 to obtain a Google enterprise license. (If you are offering a non-enterprise implementation, you may use the Google Maps API(s) to track assets such as cars, buses or other vehicles, as long as your tracking application is made available to the public without charge. For example, you may offer a free, public Maps API Implementation that displays real-time public transit or other transportation status information.)

But Google is open, surely they wouldn't mind if someone used their services in a way they were asked not to.
post #23 of 72
None here- I had a typo mistake.

So why would you have tried to explain this away as not being a typo and then backtrack and call it a typo? Why not just say it was a typo straight off and edit the post?

Come on!

post #24 of 72
Because I was asked a snarky question from ChrisCA?

I believe more that he was genuinely confused with the model to which you were referring. Could have been a 3GS typo as easily as it could have been a 4S typo.

post #25 of 72
Why didn't he ask me directly -"did you mean 3Gs or 4G?" then.

No, no.

"What's a 4GS?" "Oops, I meant ____." is just as valid an exchange as the one you proffer.

post #26 of 72
Quote:

Because I was asked a snarky question from ChrisCA?
Come on!

It didn't sound snarky. I was going to ask the same question since a typo could mean 3GS (most likely) or 4S (less likely since you should have known you made one more letter entry). A simple "I made a typo. I meant 4S" would have been the perfect reply.
post #27 of 72
Quote:

Bad Apple- first you crippled my 4S by stripping out StreetView and replace it with Flyover which is gorgeous to look at but utterly useless. Now you jail me in by not allowing replacements enter your iOs to compete against your flawed MapApp. You will be held accountable. You make great desktops but this is getting old- FAST.

Do you like all the Google maps errors I've been pointing out every time they run one of these stories, the use of screen shots demonstrating why Apple maps are better.

It's strange how you seem to ignore them.

Turn by turn directions

Streetview

Time to build a bridge, get over it.

post #28 of 72
"What's a 4GS?"
He asked " What is a 4GS?" Totally different.

I'm done with your complete insanity. 

post #29 of 72
Quote:

I'm done with your complete insanity. 

I didn't know that "what is" is completely different than "what's" 1biggrin.gif

Edit: wait.... Maybe I should have said "did not"..... You know.. It's probably different from "didn't"!!
Edited by NasserAE - 10/11/12 at 8:44pm
post #30 of 72
Quote:

I have no idea what your talking about because how does any of that of what you keep repeating replace StreetView?

Say you just bought a house you wanted a removal company to take your stuff there and you wanted to hold a house warming party so your friends could come along and celebrate.

In all my examples they would be lost using Google maps but would have no problems using iOS 6 based maps.

Using todays post, say your new home was in Gibson street.

Edited by hill60 - 10/11/12 at 8:47pm
post #31 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Today's Google maps error is brought to you by U2 and their song "where the streets have no names"

Sorry this comparison proves virtually nothing -- they're both horrible.

If anything however, what Google has for roads is better than what's shown in Apple's Maps (lack of labeling notwithstanding). In the end though they'd *both* get you lost.

Reference map: http://www.oranparktown.com.au/assets/pdf/Masterplan/C11134_masterplan_update_v7_nocrops.pdf

Besides, the community doesn't even appear to have been built yet making this comparison even more meaningless.

MBP, iPhone 4, Win 7 Desktop

MBP, iPhone 4, Win 7 Desktop

post #32 of 72
Quote:

I believe more that he was genuinely confused with the model to which you were referring. Could have been a 3GS typo as easily as it could have been a 4S typo.

I didn't know whether he meant a 3GS or 4S (typo) or he was referring to iPhone 5 as a 4GS (implying it was not enough to be new generation).

iSheldon posted;
Why didn't he ask me directly then -"did you mean 3Gs or 4G?"

Because I asked you more directly "what is a 4GS?"

Either way works.

and you thought that was a "snarky" question?

After your responses, still I am confused...

post #33 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausages View Post

Sorry this comparison proves virtually nothing -- they're both horrible.

If anything however, what Google has for roads is better than what's shown in Apple's Maps (lack of labeling notwithstanding). In the end though they'd *both* get you lost.

Reference map: http://www.oranparktown.com.au/assets/pdf/Masterplan/C11134_masterplan_update_v7_nocrops.pdf

Besides, the community doesn't even appear to have been built yet making this comparison even more meaningless.

So it's too bad if you are in one of the "100 homes occupied" in 2011 because anyone using Google maps will not be able to find you, whereas using iOS 6 maps (which become less "horrible" depending on zoom level) will.

http://www.oranparktown.com.au/timeline

post #34 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

And both are poor compared to the gold standard, Nokia Maps.
post #35 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

And both are poor compared to the gold standard, Nokia Maps.

They aren't too bad, apart from the minor hiccup with "The Northern Road" which continues on as a main road off the left of the map and doesn't turn right into a small dead end side street.

post #36 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This keeps getting repeated, but it's never clearly stated, or perhaps even understood that this "year remaing" wa most likely from June 2012, not September 2012. So, at the time iOS 6 was released, another 9 months, or until 3 months prior to the likely release of iOS 7, which would have been a really bad time to try to put out a new iOS release just to update the mapping software. The time was right. Waiting 9 months would have been pointless.

This what pundits are saying that the maps being an integral part of the OS,  it needs to coincide with the major OS release which is why Apple released it now, but what is to become of the earlier models of iPhones that cannot run iOS 6? Surely Apple is going to continue to pay the license fee to Google to keep those running.That is if they ever paid a fee to begin with which we don't know.

Edited by mstone - 10/11/12 at 9:58pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #37 of 72
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
…but what is to become of the earlier models of iPhones that cannot run iOS 6? Surely Apple is going to continue to pay the license fee to Google to keep those running.

Hey, maybe we'll see 5.1.2, 4.2.2, and 3.1.4 after all. lol.gif

Though I wouldn't be surprised at all if I opened my Maps app on my iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad the day after the deal expires and saw something like this… 

post #38 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yeah but when Steve was there, the word 'flaw' would cause heads to roll.  Apple has set the bar so high for QA that they are now taking it from all sides because of the numerous issues with iPhone 5.   Purple lens flare, Maps, Scratches, Wifi issues, overage charges, and no simultaneous data/voice on CDMA networks in the US.   These are things that people using Apple products are not used to seeing. 

When a company projects the image of perfection, people expect it.  If that company fails, well they are going to take a lot of flak for lying.    They are just like every other big company out there except they happen to be the biggest company in the world (not sure with the latest stock adjustments) and they have a boatload of cash.  They make some pretty darn good products but they are not perfect and those on this board who continue to project that image, you are only hurting the brand because you exemplify everything that anti-Apple people believe Apple enthusiasts to be (snotty, arrogant, ignorant and elitist).

I've been reading these boards for a while (and have been pretty quiet) and I see some pretty even keeled comments once in a while but there are some extremely loud people here who are not doing Apple any favours by saying nasty comments.  You think you are better than than the Rimmers, Phandroids and WP 'followers'?  Prove it by being polite, open minded and calling others out for giving this board a bad name.  If you have ever been on an Android forum, you will see that when their company messes up, they hold them accountable and hold their feet to the fire (see the recent updatemymoto campaign for an example) .  We should be peeved at the poor implementation of Maps and pressure Apple to do something about it.  What do we do instead?  Look to other map apps and point out their errors and faults. 

Does any of this resonate?

post #39 of 72
Originally Posted by zippy2shoes View Post

We should be peeved at the poor implementation of Maps and pressure Apple to do something about it.

We are. It's not the end of the pants-crapping world. They provided a means by which to let us help fix the problem. Don't use it if you don't want to. Story's over. 

We point out the faults in the other systems because they magically get a pass for failing even more stupendously than Apple has, and that's wrong.

post #40 of 72
Quote:

Hey, maybe we'll see 5.1.2, 4.2.2, and 3.1.4 after all. 

Yeah that works. Just kill the resale market for your phones and tablets that has added considerably to your market share. Everyone needs to upgrade to the latest hardware, no more hand me downs, thats the new law.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Mapping app powered by Google Maps pulled from App Store