or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple 'likely' to unveil 'iPad mini' at event on Oct. 23 - report

Apple 'likely' to unveil 'iPad mini' at event on Oct. 23 - report

post #1 of 160
Apple is now expected to hold a briefing on Tuesday, Oct. 23, to unveil its smaller 7.85-inch iPad, with a product launch expected to follow soon after.

John Paczkowski of All Things D reported on Friday that Apple is "likely" to hold the event on Oct. 23. That's two days before the company is set to report its September quarter earnings, and three days before Microsoft will launch its Surface tablet.

The event is expected to be held at Apple's Town Hall Auditorium on its Cupertino, Calif., headquarters. The venue is smaller than the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts where other product unveilings, like last months' iPhone 5 have occurred, but the on-campus site has been home to the unveilings of the iPhone 4S, redesigned MacBook Air, and OS X Lion.

Paczkowski noted of Apple going with a smaller venue that the company "already held its big fall event." In addition to revealing the iPhone 5 last month, Apple also unveiled its new iPod lineup.

Black Rendering
Source: Martin Hajek

"The company pulled out all the stops for that one, holding it at San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for the Arts and recruiting Foo Fighters to close the show," he wrote. "It's hard to imagine it mounting a second production of that caliber in such a short time. More likely that iPad mini's debut will be an intimate affair held closer to home."

The so-called "iPad mini" is expected to be a tablet with a 7.85-inch display that will have a lower pixel density than the high-resolution Retina display on the third-generation iPad. The device is also expected to be thinner and to feature Apple's new Lightning connector that debuted on the iPhone 5.
post #2 of 160
post #3 of 160
Any final predictions on aspect ratio?
post #4 of 160
Any chance iMacs will be intro'ed as well?

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #5 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I'm guessing one side will be longer than an adjacent side.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #6 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Recently Benchmark (September 10): browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/657744
post #7 of 160

I think Apple should leave iPad and iPhone for a while and go back to what brought them alive in the first place.  Wich is desktop computers.  There is still lots of customer starting to be angry at the lateness of action on this part...

But I guess they lost the essence of reality...

Give us new iMacs and new Mac Pros... PLEASE

post #8 of 160
Quote:

We're all hoping for a desktop refresh right now, fingers crossed! 

So iPad mini cometh, I myself prefer iPad. 

post #9 of 160

How about a new Mac mini? Any insight?  I've been waiting for some time now to replace my Core Duo. I don't want to buy a model released over a year ago.

post #10 of 160

Great news!

post #11 of 160
Quote:

1024x768 like the ipad 1 and 2....  so 4:3

Anyone is going to start the price debate again? Like that ultra fanboi bozo who was interview on CNBC who wants a high end ipad mini at 349$? 

Edited by herbapou - 10/12/12 at 5:41am
post #12 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreGauvreau View Post

I think Apple should leave iPad and iPhone for a while and go back to what brought them alive in the first place.  Wich is desktop computers.  There is still lots of customer starting to be angry at the lateness of action on this part...

They will probably introduce the imac's, the mac mini and the 13" mac pro at the same event. But the PC business is not what put Apple on the map, its the ipod, iphone, ipad which is more than 80% of there income. 

But in the shrinking PC market, Apple is one the few that is actually gaining market shares.

post #13 of 160
Apple'likely' to unveil............ this site has gone downhill lately. More than ever I've noticed reportedly and likely and probably or a analyst assumes.
post #14 of 160

If the event doesn't happen in October we can give it up for this year...which would be a shame since I'm waiting on a new iMac or mini and the iPad mini.  I'll just get a 13" MBA or MBP and iPod Touch instead.

post #15 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Anyone is going to start the price debate again?

Sure...less than the iPad 2 and more than the iPod Touch...

post #16 of 160
Quote:

4:3 display, with narrow side bezels. Will align pretty much neatly with the rumours and mockups.

Alongside this release, hopefully Apple has the sense to upgrade the "new" iPad and get rid of the iPad 2.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #17 of 160
Quote:

Hopefully, because I'm ready to upgrade my mid-2007 24" alu iMac, so long as the new one is Retina.

post #18 of 160
Quote:

No offence, but they way they are operating has made them the most valuable company on earth, so I'm guessing your argument is basically "where's my damn iMac!!!". That's my argument too, lol ;-)

post #19 of 160
Quote:

Anyone is going to start the price debate again? Like that ultra fanboi bozo who was interview on CNBC who wants a high end ipad mini at 349$? 

I think starting at $299 is most likely, but wouldn't be shocked if it was as low as $249.

If I was the one at Apple who gets to decide what the Christmas 2012 iPad lineup was, I'd say:

iPad mini 16GB = $299

iPad mini 32GB = $399

No 64GB iPad mini.

Updated iPad 16GB (lightning, FaceTime HD + A6 or A6x + new speaker system) = $499

Updated iPad 32GB (lightning, FaceTime HD + A6 or A6x + new speaker system) = $599

Updated iPad 64GB (lightning, FaceTime HD + A6 or A6x + new speaker system) = $699

All with 3G options.

Kill iPad 2.

Edited by Ireland - 10/12/12 at 6:02am
post #20 of 160
Quote:

Anyone is going to start the price debate again?

$349

but if it were at $299, at the price of the iPod Touch, doesn't mean both couldn't be successful. The two can serve different purposes.

post #21 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

$349

but if it were at $299, at the price of the iPod Touch, doesn't mean both couldn't be successful. The two can serve different purposes.

I think the iPod Touch's day is done.  The 5G is a great touch...but not enough that I would buy one vs giving my kid my old iPhone 4.  Which I think can still make emergency calls to 911 without a contract.  Next year we'll have a spare 4S, the year after a spare 5.

I could sell my iPhone 4 and buy the more capable Touch 5G but I want at least one spare phone around...

post #22 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Careful that the limb you're out on doesnt break.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #23 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

I think the iPod Touch's day is done.  The 5G is a great touch...but not enough that I would buy one vs giving my kid my old iPhone 4.

But, giving your kid your old iPhone 4 is not so common with people that it justifies killing the iPod touch, as an Apple product.

The iPod touch this year is by far the best iPod touch ever released. It's the iPhone without a contract. I'd love to see it priced at $249, but I think having it seem like it's priced just out of reach is sheer genius from a marketing perspective, and it keeps it seeming like an aspiration, quality Apple product. It's a great 13 - 16 year old's Christmas present.

post #24 of 160
Quote:

Apple doesn't care about the Mac. I just hope the Mac mini is updated sometime next year because I'm looking to upgrade.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #25 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Apple doesn't care about the Mac. I just hope the Mac mini is updated sometime next year because I'm looking to upgrade.

You left out an "i".

post #26 of 160
1024x768 will be FAIL IMO. I think a device priced more than $199 will sell but it needs to have better specs and features than Fire HD and Nexus 7.
post #27 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

1024x768 will be FAIL IMO. I think a device priced more than $199 will sell but it needs to have better specs and features than Fire HD and Nexus 7.

It is called iOS.

1024x768 = complete compatibility with iPad apps.

Next year they can do retina.

post #28 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

But, giving your kid your old iPhone 4 is not so common with people that it justifies killing the iPod touch, as an Apple product.

The iPod touch this year is by far the best iPod touch ever released. It's the iPhone without a contract. I'd love to see it priced at $249, but I think having it seem like it's priced just out of reach is sheer genius from a marketing perspective, and it keeps it seeming like an aspiration, quality Apple product. It's a great 13 - 16 year old's Christmas present.

I don't think they SHOULD kill it and I agree it's the best touch ever.  I'm just saying as a parent I'm not buying any.  Not when I can get a $45 StraightTalk plan that includes unlimited voice, data and texts for my older iPhones and kill two birds with one stone if I have a teen.

I would buy a $300 iPad mini for my kids.  Or more likely "for Mom" and she can "lend" it as needed.  I think we pretty much decided not to directly buy the kids any electronics.

If there ISN'T a $300 iPad mini I'm favoring either an iPad 2 or a Nexus 7.  Especially if those hit $99 which I don't think is likely.  $150 maybe.

post #29 of 160
I thought it was going to be announced next week?

I wonder how many more weeks it can get pushed back before this rumor goes bye bye until the spring.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #30 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I thought it was going to be announced next week?
I wonder how many more weeks it can get pushed back before this rumor goes bye bye until the spring.

I would say 0 weeks but I suppose before black friday is still vaguely viable.

post #31 of 160
Interesting that there are more comments here about the macs than the ipad mini.
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
post #32 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post

Interesting that there are more comments here about the macs than the ipad mini.

Lots of folks are holding off on a refresh of their desktops.

post #33 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Impossible: Samsung owns the patent on devices with a side longer than an adjacent side. 

Only joking.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #34 of 160
Quote:

The reality is that Apple makes far more revenue and profit from iOS devices than Macs.

Although I am in agreement in that I'd like to see new Mac desktops too.

post #35 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

It is called iOS.

1024x768 = complete compatibility with iPad apps.

Next year they can do retina.
iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Macabook Pro all have retina display but the smaller iPad can't have it? What's the difference between this year and next year? I'm sorry but if this device is released and has inferior specs compared to Fire and Nexus 7 AND is $50-$100 more expensive it will get trashed in reviews. Unless you're already heavily invested in iOS ecosystem is it really worth that much of a premium, especially if the display is inferior? I know there's no way I'd ever go back to a non-retina display on my idevices.
post #36 of 160
Quote:

The essence of reality is in your pants.

It's for sure not on your desktop. That's only there to serve your mobile device.
post #37 of 160

Jim Dalrymple at LoopInsight.com has just confirmed the 23rd, so BOOM!

post #38 of 160

It was yep'ed by Dalrymple. So I think it's settled: Oct 23 it will be.

Btw, my guess is that it will be $250 wifi, $350 LTE. And will have the same resolution as the iPad2.

post #39 of 160

Sorry, I didn't see your post, RegurgitatedCoprolite...

post #40 of 160

Hey, monobazus, no harm, no foul !

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple 'likely' to unveil 'iPad mini' at event on Oct. 23 - report
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple 'likely' to unveil 'iPad mini' at event on Oct. 23 - report