or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 6 Maps, Lightning connector have no effect on iPhone 5 demand, survey finds

iOS 6 Maps, Lightning connector have no effect on iPhone 5 demand, survey finds

post #1 of 83
Negative headlines haven't suppressed consumer interest in the iPhone 5, which is seeing "unprecedented" demand, according to the latest survey from ChangeWave Research.

The poll of 4,270 primarily North American consumers was conducted in September, and found that 19 percent of consumers considered themselves "very likeLy" to buy an iPhone 5, while 13 percent said they were "somewhat likely."

The numbers show a significant increase in demand for the iPhone 5 over the iPhone 4S from a year ago. Last year, 10 percent of consumers said they were "very likely" to buy an iPhone 4S, while another 11.5 percent considered themselves "somewhat likely."

The stats show that consumers who indicated they are "very likely" to buy the iPhone 5 has nearly doubled from that of the iPhone 4S. Until now, Apple's iPhone 4S has been the most successful smartphone in history, but the iPhone 5 is expected to surpass it.

ChangeWave

"Despite the media attention surrounding both the Apple Maps issue and the Apple Lightning port issue, neither has had an impact on the massive numbers of buyers queuing up to buy the iPhone 5," said Dr. Paul Carton, ChangeWave's vice president of Research. "Rather, the survey results show both issues hardly rank as bumps in the road."

ChangeWave also asked respondents running iOS 6 if they had experienced problems with Apple Maps, and the survey found that the new mapping software has not been a major issue for users. Among those polled, 90 percent reported "no problem at all," while 3 percent said iOS 6 Maps are a "very big problem," while 6 percent said the issue is "somewhat of a problem."

The data shows that any perceived issues with iOS 6 Maps are less of a concern than the "antenna-gate" controversy with the iPhone 4. In 2010, ChangeWave's polling found 7 percent of new iPhone 4 owners characterized the reception issue as a "very big problem," while another 14 percent said it was "somewhat of a problem." Nearly two thirds reported they "hadn't experienced any problem."

ChangeWave 2

As for the new, smaller Lightning port on the iPhone 5, customers likely to buy Apple's latest handset were asked for their thoughts on the change that makes it more difficult, and in some cases impossible, to use legacy accessories. Nearly a third ? 31 percent ? said the change to the Lightning port is "not much of a problem," while 26 percent said it's "no problem at all.

However, 6 percent characterized the Lightning port switch as a "very big problem," and 31 percent said they felt it was "somewhat of a problem."

Even though more than two-thirds of respondents expressed some level of concern over the Lightning port, the survey found it will not stop consumers from buying the iPhone 5. Among those who said they are unlikely to buy the iPhone 5, 0 percent said their decision was made because of the Lightning adapter.

The iPhone 5 had the strongest launch yet of any iPhone, as Apple announced the device sold 5 million units in its first three days of availability. It's believed that Apple could have sold many more handsets over the launch window, but sales are believed to have been held back by limited supply.
post #2 of 83
It's possible that there are some people who never use maps on their phone... and who don't own any 30-pin speaker docks.
post #3 of 83
Apple is doomed.™
post #4 of 83
Do American carriers have some kind of reservation system in place for getting an iPhone? My friend was put in queue two and a half weeks ago at #2000+ and only now is he at #10 with Rogers in Canada. He's in Toronto so I'd figure we have more people wanting to buy than anywhere else in the country (you know, centre of the universe and all). So are people getting their phones some other way, or is supply actually that problematic? Like the article says the demand should be there, ordering now puts you at 6000 in queue I've heard, but I've only seen a few out in public as well.
post #5 of 83
I love the Lightning connector. I hated the old 30-pin one, which was a pain to orient properly. I'm completely mystified by those who complain about what to me is a clear improvement.
post #6 of 83
The exact date of the surveys is important. The 4 came out in June 2010 so a July 2010 survey was potentially conducted weeks later. On the other hand, a september 2012 survey when the 5 came out on the 21st was conducted just after release.
post #7 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by nw3227 View Post

I love the Lightning connector. I hated the old 30-pin one, which was a pain to orient properly. I'm completely mystified by those who complain about what to me is a clear improvement.

I completely agree that the Lightning connector is a massive improvement and was a much needed change but I can also understand the complaints of people with older docks / car connectors that only support the 30 pin dock port who are now having to shell out at least $30 on an adapter assuming they can even get away with only having one of them.

The other issue is the loss of analog and "iPod Out" support through lightning which will completely break very old docks whether you have an adapter or not. That's not so bad if it's only a $50 speaker dock you have to replace, but is a bit more of an expensive problem if it is your car that is no longer supported...

post #8 of 83
Quote:

+1

"History will reduce the Apple Watch—if it ever reaches the shop floor—
to a footnote in the annals of technology."

-Benjamin Frost

-Benjamin Frost

post #9 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

I completely agree that the Lightning connector is a massive improvement and was a much needed change but I can also understand the complaints of people with older docks / car connectors that only support the 30 pin dock port who are now having to shell out at least $30 on an adapter assuming they can even get away with only having one of them.

The other issue is the loss of analog and "iPod Out" support through lightning which will completely break very old docks whether you have an adapter or not. That's not so bad if it's only a $50 speaker dock you have to replace, but is a bit more of an expensive problem if it is your car that is no longer supported...

I am sure there will be 3rd Party accessories that are able to port the iPhone's headphone jack through a 30-Pin adapter.

-Benjamin Frost

-Benjamin Frost

post #10 of 83
Well, if the music app wasn't working properly on my iPhone I wouldn't notice it either, since I rarely use it to listen to music. I would even go as far as to state that many people barely use their iPhones for anything other than they'd otherwise use dumb phones, especially in the US, where the iPhone is heavily subsidized. Ask the same question to people buying an unlocked version from Aple and I bet your findings will be a lot different.

For instance, I told a friend of mine who was complaining about the iPhone 4S' battery problems to disable Location Services (because the problem was caused by a defective GPS unit) temporarily and ask for a replacement, and she was all happy about the former solving her problem because she didn't care about the latter, so a year later she's still using a defective iPhone 4S. Might be anecdotal, but doesn't go far from most people's mentality.
post #11 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

The exact date of the surveys is important. The 4 came out in June 2010 so a July 2010 survey was potentially conducted weeks later. On the other hand, a september 2012 survey when the 5 came out on the 21st was conducted just after release.

The dates aren't when the surveys were taken, the dates are when the "issues" blew up.

I've found that most of the issues we read online, aren't issues at all to most everyone else. I've also noticed issues with Apple products are usually brought up by those who do not own the device. Possibly in some weird attempt to justify their decision to not buy Apple and keep them from "ruling the world." Yes, I've actually had people say that to me. LOL

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #12 of 83
Apple customers know that Apple products (almost always? always?) exceed their expectations, so they are willing to buy a new Apple product sigh unseen.

In fact, the leaks act as a "pre-availability review" for buyers -- by the time the product is available for launch, most of the important details are known.

I love the lightening adapter -- so much so I wish micro/mini-USB would be dropped by the world in favor of it.

Maps is a non-issue. I paid $30 for the TomTom app 3 years ago -- it's always been my default mapping app on my iPhone, since Google maps sucks pretty hard on the iPhone.

Once again, Apple wins -- and I win. I love my IP5.
post #13 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

I would even go as far as to state that many people barely use their iPhones for anything other than they'd otherwise use dumb phones for

I'd have to disagree with that comment and so would most statistics. Given the fact that iOS has by far the largest web usage statistics and app sales, most iOS users use their devices for a lot more than just a phone. Tim Cook has even stated that the average iOS user now downloads 100 apps.

post #14 of 83
Quote:

Agree. Looking forward to it on The New iPad 2. My only disappointment is the lack of availability of lighting to USB cables and the 30pin to Lightning adapters until a week or so into Oct.

And iOS 6 Maps has served me well so far.
post #15 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Quote:

I would even go as far as to state that many people barely use their iPhones for anything other than they'd otherwise use dumb phones for

I'd have to disagree with that comment and so would most statistics. Given the fact that iOS has by far the largest web usage statistics and app sales, most iOS users use their devices for a lot more than just a phone. Tim Cook has even stated that the average iOS user now downloads 100 apps.

I don't think you can conclude anything from that other than that iOS users use their browsers more than other mobile phone users, which doesn't in any way tackle what I suggested, not to mention that the iOS web share has a lot of iPads in there.
post #16 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Do American carriers have some kind of reservation system in place for getting an iPhone? My friend was put in queue two and a half weeks ago at #2000+ and only now is he at #10 with Rogers in Canada. He's in Toronto so I'd figure we have more people wanting to buy than anywhere else in the country (you know, centre of the universe and all). So are people getting their phones some other way, or is supply actually that problematic? Like the article says the demand should be there, ordering now puts you at 6000 in queue I've heard, but I've only seen a few out in public as well.

I don't know I generally order mine directly from Apple

post #17 of 83
So far Maps has been excellent for me. I haven't done anything real taxing with it but it's been great having turn by turn and having Siri set up a travel route. As far as the connector goes I don't have any devices that directly connect to the old 30 pin so I'm good there too. Still can't believe what an improvement the 5 is over my old iPhone 4.
post #18 of 83

I've had Zero problems with Apple Maps in and around Philadelphia. And I've been praying for for the 30-pin's death for years.

Lighting is fantastic.

post #19 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

ChangeWave also asked respondents running iOS 6 if they had experienced problems with Apple Maps, and the survey found that the new mapping software has not been a major issue for users. Among those polled, 90 percent reported "no problem at all," while 3 percent said iOS 6 Maps are a "very big problem," while 6 percent said the issue is "somewhat of a problem."

wait, the media made a mountain out of a mole hill? Tell me it ain't so.

It's obvious that 90% of all those surveyed are fanbois. iOS 6 Maps is the biggest problem since the cold war. /s

post #20 of 83
Oh, forgot to mention: why do people survey the US market about products when that market is known to be the first to receive coverage on everything? Why not ask The Rest Of The World what we think about Apple Maps?
post #21 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

Well I can't understand the complaints. Every single one of these people bought the product knowing exactly what they were getting as far as the new connector was concerned. For the few that were surprised when they opened the box, they had 14 days to return it. If it is really THAT bad for them to buy an adapter, then why in the world would they buy the new phone? There are two other models that are cheaper that could have been purchased if they needed a phone. No, I really think that for the folks that are complaining, it is really just a minor inconvenience that they chose to put up with....but hey, complaining on the internet is free so have at it!
post #22 of 83
Quote:

Oh, forgot to mention: why do people survey the US market about products when that market is known to be the first to receive coverage on everything? Why not ask The Rest Of The World what we think about Apple Maps?

The US market is *the* premiere market for consumer electronics. It's the tennis court everyone wants to win on. It's the test for product viability. Mindshare and brand power are made or broken in this market. You do well in the US market, your chances of doing well worldwide go up by an order magnitude; your product achieves "star power", making it more desirable worldwide. This, in turn, influences how you'll perform in other markets. 

The US market is not the biggest market, but it's hands-down the most important. 

post #23 of 83

The lightning connector is better. Complaining about it seems like a desperate attempt to be heard.

post #24 of 83

I bought one iPhone 5 two weeks ago, to replace my iPhone 4. My wife took possession of it, almost immediately. No guts from me to retake possession (after all, she had a 3GS). She says it's the best computer appliance she has ever had.

To the point: she loves the ligthning connector, the 30 pin connector was a pain. The Maps are ok were I live (Portugal). Only problem is Siri, there is yet no Portuguese version. With a Portuguese Siri, it would be perfect for her, she is an enologist needing constant oral dictation with her hands wet and in a very harsh working environment.

The iPhone 5 rocks, much better than any previous iPhone.

post #25 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

It's possible that there are some people who never use maps on their phone... and who don't own any 30-pin speaker docks.

No. The "negative headlines" mentioned have been primarily on nerd/tech web sites and forums populated by whining crybabies seeking to blow everything up into a major issue. Meanwhile real world users are clamoring for the iPhone 5 like never before it would appear. When are the so-called techies going to finally figure out that their opinions and rants are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Nobody listens to them accept other tech weenies with various axes to grind. I mean just take a look at AI these days. Almost every thread now has the obligatory "Steve is dead, Apple is doomed" diatribe, the "Apple is losing its way" bleating sheep missive. Quite sickening really.
post #26 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The US market is *the* premiere market for consumer electronics. It's the tennis court everyone wants to win on. It's the test for product viability. Mindshare and brand power are made or broken in this market. You do well in the US market, your chances of doing well worldwide go up by an order magnitude; your product achieves "star power", making it more desirable worldwide. This, in turn, influences how you'll perform in other markets. 

The US market is not the biggest market, but it's hands-down the most important. 

Sure, but that's not the point. The point is that it's ridiculous to poll the US market and then claim that there's no problem at all. Siri went without Maps support in the rest of the world for an entire year. Just because it's fine in the US, doesn't mean it's fine everywhere else.
post #27 of 83
Quote:

Do American carriers have some kind of reservation system in place for getting an iPhone? 

The queuing system is great, much better than chasing around stores for available units. More countries should do it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

(you know, centre of the universe and all)

lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I've only seen a few out in public as well.

In Ottawa I haven't seen a single one yet, aside from store display models and mine.

Again in Ottawa, haven't noticed any accuracy problems with maps.  The searching for POIs is hit and miss, but it's no worse overall than Google. Just different ones that do and don't work.

As for lightning, I love it. Yes it's not compatible but it had to change some time. So easy to insert, yet fits firm and snug.  Glad to have the new port since I plan to keep the phone for 3 years, and I give it a year before *new* accessories stop coming out for the 30-pin connector (yeah yeah tons of legacy devices and I'm sure existing accessories will continue to be manufactured for years to come but it won't be long before companies stop putting effort into designing new ones).

post #28 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I've had Zero problems with Apple Maps in and around Philadelphia. And I've been praying for for the 30-pin's death for years.

Lighting is fantastic.

Must be an awesome phone if the connector gets all the good press! 1wink.gif

post #29 of 83
Quote:

Sure, but that's not the point. The point is that it's ridiculous to poll the US market and then claim that there's no problem at all. Siri went without Maps support in the rest of the world for an entire year. Just because it's fine in the US, doesn't mean it's fine everywhere else.

While I agree the US market isn't the end all be all but that's not what this article is about. It's about the problems with Maps (here in the US or elsewhere) and the new dock connector affecting sales. It didn't/doesn't.
post #30 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

My only disappointment is the lack of availability of lighting to USB cables and the 30pin to Lightning adapters until a week or so into Oct.

Agree. I ordered mine on iPhone Day +2, and am still waiting....

post #31 of 83
Quote:

*Raise hand*. The new map is better than the old Google map. Here in South East Asia the map looks the same. The sattelite image look identical albeit a bit more over-exposed. There are much more POIs than Google map but some are misplaced. Load much quicker. Graphic is nicer. Flyover (on iPad 2) is pretty awesome. No traffic info but TI on Google map is pretty bad anyway so I still use official traffic map app here.
So far I like it much more than old Google map.
post #32 of 83
Quote:

Having just finished 2000 miles navigating with iOS 6.0 maps, it did very very well. I stayed off interstates with the exception of some major metro areas.

The map issues are way overblown.
post #33 of 83
It is also possible that the majority of iPhone owners don't have mental health issues over Maps. Those of use that have actually used the new Maps find the app to be very useful.
Quote:

post #34 of 83
This doesn't really surprise me. Most early adopters of iPhones, the ones who stand in lines overnight to buy them, are Apple enthusiasts who are already using Apple products in every facet of their lives. They most likely have Apple TVs, and have long since purchased Bluetooth and AirPlay accessories. Except to charge my iPhone, I haven't plugged it into a dedicated dock in months. I stream all video and audio output via AirPlay and Bluetooth accessories. I don't even plug headphones into it, and I synch it to iTunes wirelessly. And Apple knows this. The corporate people who depend on video output and already have 30-pin dock connectors for presentation purposes, etc. will be some of the last to upgrade their phones anyway ... By which time Apple will have their new native Lightning HDMI & VGA connectors available. And Apple knows this. For the early adopters who need these services, Apple is betting that it is an opportunity to introduce users to Apple TV. The only people this is really going to effect immediately are users with high-end integrated automobile systems, like BMW and Mercedes. It remains to be seen whether Apple's recently shipping adapter will work with those systems, though in the interim it's definitely been an inconvenience.
post #35 of 83
If you don't need the GPS feature then the phone isn't really broken. Better to disable it and go from there then to go through all the trouble of swapping units.

Personally I consider GPS important but have almost zero need for Bluetooth. If Bluetooth was to break tomorrow I wouldn't even bother fixing the problem. To put it bluntly it is a waste of resources to fix things you don't need.
Quote:

Well, if the music app wasn't working properly on my iPhone I wouldn't notice it either, since I rarely use it to listen to music. I would even go as far as to state that many people barely use their iPhones for anything other than they'd otherwise use dumb phones, especially in the US, where the iPhone is heavily subsidized. Ask the same question to people buying an unlocked version from Aple and I bet your findings will be a lot different.
For instance, I told a friend of mine who was complaining about the iPhone 4S' battery problems to disable Location Services (because the problem was caused by a defective GPS unit) temporarily and ask for a replacement, and she was all happy about the former solving her problem because she didn't care about the latter, so a year later she's still using a defective iPhone 4S. Might be anecdotal, but doesn't go far from most people's mentality.
post #36 of 83

I agree that most of these 'issues' are only issues to the tech press and the fans / haters.

I've always used my sister as a 'barometer' to test what the non-techy people think. She has my old iPhone 4. Last week I asked her if she had upgraded to iOS 6. She had - she upgraded within 2 days of it being released, because it popped up in iTunes as available. I asked if she heard of or was impacted by the 'Maps issue'. She had not heard of it, was not affected by it, and when I told her about the big brouhaha in the tech press, her response was "If it wasn't maps, they'd find something else to turn into This Year's Big Deal."

Of course, she's only one person. But she's in the right demographic, and even as a non-techy she knows enough to take these tech press 'problems' with a grain of salt.

Personally, I've already said, the new maps app is good enough for me. Problem is, you don't get big pageviews with headlines like "new apple offering satisfies most" or "things are pretty ok for iphone". (well maybe once, but you couldn't run them every flippin' day like they do with the 'zomg apple crisis!' headlines.)

Cheers!

post #37 of 83
Quote:

Your friend might do well to try a Rogers kiosk. If he hasn't done so already. The day after I activated my iPhone 5 on Fido, I received an e-mail from them offering a $50 discount to go on a waiting list.......  

post #38 of 83
Frankly the rest of the world isn't important. The economy in Europe is Ina terrible state, the Middle East is about to start WW3, the rest of the Americas south of the US have neve gotten their act together, considering all of this you should understand why Apple is focused on the US and Asia.

Beyond all of that I've yet to hear a good explanation from anybody as to what is wrong with Maps! It works well without the clutter and spying of Googles solution.
Quote:

post #39 of 83
That lightening connector isn't an issue, until you need to replace one you lost. Those things are almost impossible to find. Luckily you can use Maps (if you have any battery left) to find an Apple, AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint store to see if they have any.
post #40 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

While I agree the US market isn't the end all be all but that's not what this article is about. It's about the problems with Maps (here in the US or elsewhere) and the new dock connector affecting sales. It didn't/doesn't.

In the US, where iPhones are heavily subsidized, most of the sales up to this moment were preorders, and for which everything is designed to work. That's precisely my point. Why poll the US market when things are known to target that first?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • iOS 6 Maps, Lightning connector have no effect on iPhone 5 demand, survey finds
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 6 Maps, Lightning connector have no effect on iPhone 5 demand, survey finds