or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple reaches license agreement for Swiss rail clock design
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple reaches license agreement for Swiss rail clock design

post #1 of 82
Thread Starter 
Swiss Federal Railways announced on Friday that it has reached an agreement with Apple for the use of its famous clock design on iOS devices.

Clock

Left: Apple's iOS 6 clock. Right: the clock design owned by SBB.


Apple and the Swiss Federal Railways SBB have already agreed to and signed the deal, the railway announced in a press release. Both parties agreed to keep the licensing fee associated with the deal secret.

The iconic design of the railway station clock was built in 1944 by engineer and designer Hans Hilfiker. A nearly identical design to the SBB clock is featured in the iPad version of Apple's iOS 6 mobile operating system.

The railway announced last month that it would meet with Apple to discuss a deal over the use of its clock design. The design appeared in the "Clock" application of iOS 6 without a proper licensing deal.

The SBB publicly said that it was "proud" Apple chose to use its iconic clock design in iOS 6. The company said it was flattering to have a "brand as important as Apple" use their design.

"There are a lot of brands that use the SBB logo, though nothing like Apple," a company spokeswoman said in September. "It's not just about exchanging money, rather drawing up a contract stating where the logo can be used, under what conditions and for how long."

SBB licenses the clock designs for various products, including its own collection of watches that are available for sale.
post #2 of 82

It's about time.

post #3 of 82
I don't see that design in the ios 6 clock app.l

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #4 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netcrawler View Post

It's about time.

 


Et touché

post #5 of 82
I love that watch... Anybody have a link to buy?

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply
post #6 of 82
Free Macs for Swiss Federal Railways!
post #7 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I don't see that design in the ios 6 clock app.l

Its in the Ipad version of the clock app on the World clocks page, and now I look closer, even the Icon

post #8 of 82
The watches that are authorized to use the SBB dial face are made by a company called Mondaine, they make this dial face in both automatic and quartz battery styles. www.mondaine.com
post #9 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netcrawler View Post

It's about time.

 

I second that.

post #10 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

 

I second that.

comedy gold :) someone should write the minutes

post #11 of 82

Frustrating that AI keeps using the old version of the SBB design in these articles.  With the current version, it's much clearer:

 

post #12 of 82

Looks like one of the two does not have the correct time ;-)
 

post #13 of 82

with this deal, Sammy doesn't know which version to copy.

post #14 of 82
But does it stop for 1.5 seconds on the minute?
post #15 of 82
Indeed, I was about to say that the design is much close to the Mondaine watch that I am currently wearing then the logo supplied for the article. The key changes are shorter fatter hour marks, and a smaller seconds hand which does not overlap the hour marks when passing. Also, the seconds hand is a traditional 1 second tick on the watch, but a "rolex style" single sweeping motion on the iPad version.
post #16 of 82
Those clock faces look nothing alike. Not only do they show completely different times, but minute markers are significantly longer and the five minute markers are squatter. Plus, the Mondaine watch face is an actual watch face whereas the iPad clock is simply an image of a clock face. I think Apple gave them a gift.
post #17 of 82

The secret part of the deal is that it won't be licensed to Samsung.  1biggrin.gif

post #18 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

I love that watch... Anybody have a link to buy?
http://www.watchismo.com/mondaine-watches.aspx

Some pretty nice ones... reasonable prices too.
post #19 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scubadiver View Post

Those clock faces look nothing alike. 

 

Hyperbole much? These two look NOTHING alike?

 

 

post #20 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scubadiver View Post

Those clock faces look nothing alike. Not only do they show completely different times, but minute markers are significantly longer and the five minute markers are squatter. Plus, the Mondaine watch face is an actual watch face whereas the iPad clock is simply an image of a clock face. I think Apple gave them a gift.

As mentioned in the comments, the article image is out of date.  Even the actual watch face image included in the comments further down is a little out of date, the real things having a shorter minute hand which doesn't obscure the minute marks as it passes.

 

post #21 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I second that.
One more joke like that and I'll clock you one!
post #22 of 82
Originally Posted by paxman View Post
One more joke like that and I'll clock you one!

 

What an alarming chain of events.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #23 of 82
Watch out for all the timeless comments...
post #24 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

As mentioned in the comments, the article image is out of date.  Even the actual watch face image included in the comments further down is a little out of date, the real things having a shorter minute hand which doesn't obscure the minute marks as it passes.

 


Wow it really looks nice.

I actually prefer the way minute markers are skewed in the Mondaine watch. And yes, this looks even more like the Apple clock.

post #25 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

The secret part of the deal is that it won't be licensed to Samsung.  1biggrin.gif

 

Do licensing deals of other people's designs ever cross Samescum's mind?

post #26 of 82

Obviously Apple cares about the minute details of the UI.

post #27 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post


Wow it really looks nice.

I actually prefer the way minute markers are skewed in the Mondaine watch. And yes, this looks even more like the Apple clock.

 

Yeah, that watch looks damn tasty. Looks like they're going for around $200. I guess I'll be sticking with my Pulsar solar watch for another ten years (got it ten years ago for $5 via an Overstock.com price mistake).

post #28 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netcrawler View Post

It's about time.

ba-dum-bah!!... and a dead clock is right twice a day...
post #29 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What an alarming chain of events.
I think we've been here before. Somebody check the minutes.
post #30 of 82
Originally Posted by paxman View Post
I think we've been here before. Somebody check the minutes.

 

Seconded.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #31 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post


http://www.watchismo.com/mondaine-watches.aspx
Some pretty nice ones... reasonable prices too.

Amazon also has them...and the prices are not too high.

post #32 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Seconded.

I'm gonna loose it... tic tock.... 

post #33 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by binglyboop View Post

Frustrating that AI keeps using the old version of the SBB design in these articles.  With the current version, it's much clearer:

 

 

Indeed.  I was about to comment that Apple's version was clearly superior to the SBB one, but this "new" SBB design is actually a bit better than Apple's IMO.  Maybe now they have an agreement, they can spruce it up a bit without worrying about infringement.  

post #34 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaceslin View Post

Amazon also has them...and the prices are not too high.

 

Still too rich for my blood, I might be able to get one secondhand.

post #35 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoformat View Post

 

Do licensing deals of other people's designs ever cross Samescum's mind?

 



Oh yeah, it is covered since Apple licensed it so Sammy can copy from Apple.

post #36 of 82

I wish the iPhone version of Clock had this clock face.  Maybe in a future update the iPad and iPhone clock apps will "sync"

post #37 of 82
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
Still too rich for my blood, I might be able to get one secondhand.

 

This one really wound me up.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #38 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

As mentioned in the comments, the article image is out of date.  Even the actual watch face image included in the comments further down is a little out of date, the real things having a shorter minute hand which doesn't obscure the minute marks as it passes.

 

 

These do look really cool.  

If it made any kind of sense to even wear one of these "watch" things anymore, this is the one I'd get.  

Sadly, watches are about as relevant as moustache wax and spats at this point.  

post #39 of 82

Not at all surprised to see them spring it on Apple after the product shipped. They were obviously already on the watch, geared up to file suit. It was about time I suppose.

 

EDIT:  At least the Swiss weren't seeing red over this, agreeing to hand over a license to Apple. That much is crystal clear.


Edited by Gatorguy - 10/12/12 at 9:55am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #40 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Not at all surprised to see them spring it on Apple after the product shipped. They were obviously already on the watch, geared up to file suit. It was about time I suppose.

 

EDIT: Gotta hand it to them tho. At least the Swiss weren't seeing red over this, agreeing to hand over a license to Apple. That much is crystal clear.


Was I supposed to laugh??

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple reaches license agreement for Swiss rail clock design