or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft, PC makers begin taking preorders for Windows 8 software & devices
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft, PC makers begin taking preorders for Windows 8 software & devices

post #1 of 61
Thread Starter 
Microsoft continues to build toward the Oct. 26 launch of its new Windows 8 operating system, as it began taking preorders for the software on Friday, while PC makers also started accepting advance orders of their new Windows 8-powered machines.

In a post to the official Windows Team Blog, Microsoft Communications Manager Brandon LeBlanc revealed that customers can now reserve a packaged DVD of the Windows 8 Pro upgrade for $69.99 at select retailers. Participating retailers include Amazon.com, Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot, Microsoft's retail stores, and more.

LeBlanc noted that the packaging for Windows 8 takes a "fresh approach," with five different illustrations available. The new packaging also utilizes paper-based materials to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and fossil fuel consumption while also reducing the packaging weight by 41 percent.

Microsoft's continued offering of boxed retail software is a stark contrast from Apple, which has opted to go digital-only with its latest operating system release, Mountain Lion. The OS X 10.8 upgrade is only available through the Mac App Store for existing Mac owners at a price of $19.99.

Windows users will also be able to go the digital route to upgrade to Windows 8 starting Oct. 26 through the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant at windows.com. Those who choose that route will pay $39.99 for the upgrade.

Windows 8


The upgrade pricing for Windows 8 is less than previous releases of Microsoft's desktop operating system, but the company noted on Friday that those prices for both digital and retail are only good through Jan. 31, 2013.

In addition, as of Friday, customers can also preorder new PCs that will come preinstalled with Windows 8. Microsoft's OEM partners including Acer, ASUS, Dell, HP, Samsung and Sony are all taking preorders for their latest PCs set to launch on Oct. 26.

Those who may have bought or will buy a Windows 7 PC between June 2 through the end of next January can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $14.99. That offer will be redeemable starting with the launch of Windows 8 on Oct. 26.

Beyond Windows 8, Oct. 26 will also mark the debut of Microsoft's new Surface touchscreen tablets, designed to compete with Apple's iPad by running low-power ARM processors and an ARM-compatible version of Windows 8, dubbed Windows RT. Microsoft recently began a guerrilla marketing campaign to promote Surface, with some graffiti-style advertisements appearing in major cities across the U.S. near existing Apple retail stores.
post #2 of 61

And so it begins…

 

Microsoft's departure from consumer OS'.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #3 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

LeBlanc noted that the packaging for Windows 8 takes a "fresh approach," with five different illustrations available. The new packaging also utilizes paper-based materials to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and fossil fuel consumption while also reducing the packaging weight by 41 percent.
 

 

It seems Microsoft is more excited about the box it comes in than the product itself...?

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #4 of 61

OOC, does Boot Camp support a Windows 8 installation?

post #5 of 61

That Start Screen shows nothing but casual consumer computing. Where are the business applications?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #6 of 61
Originally Posted by Cheesehead Dave View Post
OOC, does Boot Camp support a Windows 8 installation?

 

Yep. Has since the Consumer Preview. I'm running the… whatever it is. Release Preview, maybe, right now. All the drivers work fine, except the Radeon 4xxx series is unsupported in Windows 8, so I can't get the partial OpenGL 3.1 driver that I used to have. 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #7 of 61
A Windows upgrade? How has that worked out in the past? Windows 7 has probably been the best at minimizing Windows bloat, but with all the upgrades and bug fixes along with residual applications an upgrade is not an attractive option. Also, does anyone get excited about anything MS releases these days? Most folks I talk with don't know or don't care what MS is up to.
post #8 of 61

Well... I'm kinda' rooting for Windows 8....

 

'course, I was pluggin' for old Joe last night...

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #9 of 61
Ha, where I work we haven't even upgraded to Windows 7 or Office 2010 yet. lol.gif Maybe Win 8 will work well on a tablet but Windows users love their start screen, task bar, control panel, etc. if they have to go in and out of the metro UI to get there they'll become frustrated fast.
post #10 of 61
Looking forward to Windows 9, which will suspiciously have a Start menu, right where it was in Windows 7.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #11 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And so it begins…

 

Microsoft's departure from consumer OS'.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That Start Screen shows nothing but casual consumer computing. Where are the business applications?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ha, where I work we haven't even upgraded to Windows 7 or Office 2010 yet. lol.gif Maybe Win 8 will work well on a tablet but Windows users love their start screen, task bar, control panel, etc. if they have to go in and out of the metro UI to get there they'll become frustrated fast.203

 

2013 could be a watershed year for Microsoft.   From what I read:

  • world wide sales of new desktop PCs are down and going lower -- meaning fewer automatic "new sales" of Windows 8
  • the Intel Surface-class Tablets aren't really tablets -- and aren't cost competitive enough to drive new sales (and Windows 8)
  • the UltraBooks are not compelling enough to drive new sales (and Windows 8)
  • Windows 8 is cumbersome to use compared to Windows 7, with no compelling features -- causing installed users to defer or avoid upgrade sales of Windows 8
  • Office 2013 offers no real advantages over 2013 -- why buy it?
  • when times are tight, consumers and companies tend to "avoid spending money and make what we have, work"

 

All-in-all that's a pretty bleak picture for New Windows 8 and Office 2013 sales.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #12 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Well... I'm kinda' rooting for Windows 8....

 

'course, I was pluggin' for old Joe last night...

Dick, kinda curious here. Your posting history seems to indicate that you're an apple fan, like me .... so what makes you hope for Windows 8 .... just curious.

See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #13 of 61

So, there is still no confirmed pricing for the Surface... right?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #14 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

 

It seems Microsoft is more excited about the box it comes in than the product itself...?


Come on.  If you wanna jump Ballmer's bones (which is trivially easy), you can do better than make fun of yet another Apple marketing technique he's simply adopted like he discovered "green marketing."  Jobs spent plenty of time in several keynotes trumpeting exactly the ecologically-friendlier packaging materials, lower shipping weight and smaller volume of the latest product packaging on some next generation release.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #15 of 61
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
So, there is still no confirmed pricing for the Surface... right?

 

Are there even confirmed specs?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #16 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Well... I'm kinda' rooting for Windows 8....

 

'course, I was pluggin' for old Joe last night...

Dick, kinda curious here. Your posting history seems to indicate that you're an apple fan, like me .... so what makes you hope for Windows 8 .... just curious.

 

Ohh... forgot the /s

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #17 of 61

LMAO

 

That's really all that can be said. 

 

Windows Phone is tanking. Has been for almost two years. Nokia is barely treading water. MS has no presence in the tablet space worth mentioning. Surface, on price and on usability, looks like something only hardcore fans will care to buy - along with all the "it's just a reference device" excuses - meanwhile OEMs a producing their own junk from the "reference device" that will apparently be priced out of the market, and Windows 8 looks to be another Vista, if not worse. 

post #18 of 61

Has any one ran Winders 8?  I ran the public beta.  I didn't like it.  When you click on start this so called home screen slides over and you have active icons.  I wanted to play a game.  I had to create a shortcut on the desktop in order to play the game.  I think that Microsloft (yes Microsloft) should have made the start screen an option not have it force you to use it.

 

Look at this link.  The video is nice.  Yet it doesn't show any functions beyond a sorta iOS competitive view.

 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/release-preview

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #19 of 61
It will be pretty sad if Windows 8/Surface bomb considering all the free advertising MS is getting from the tech press.
post #20 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Has any one ran Winders 8?  I ran the public beta.  I didn't like it.  When you click on start this so called home screen slides over and you have active icons.  I wanted to play a game.  I had to create a shortcut on the desktop in order to play the game.  I think that Microsloft (yes Microsloft) should have made the start screen an option not have it force you to use it.

Look at this link.  The video is nice.  Yet it doesn't show any functions beyond a sorta iOS competitive view.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/release-preview
Don't forget when they did their surface event a few months ago they spent very little time showing the device and software in use. It was all about VaporMg and Touch Cover. Yet even with all the focus on the touch cover they didn't let anyone use it. So we still don't know how well (or not) it will work.

I'm still trying to figure out why Microsoft would hold a product event several months before launch with little to no specs or pricing, no real demos to speak of and no hands on working devices for the attendees to play around with.
post #21 of 61
I very, very, very interested in how this is going to be received.

Very.


By the way, for an interesting look at Microsoft's last decade or so, check this out:

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2012/08/microsoft-lost-mojo-steve-ballmer
post #22 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Don't forget when they did their surface event a few months ago they spent very little time showing the device and software in use. It was all about VaporMg and Touch Cover. Yet even with all the focus on the touch cover they didn't let anyone use it. So we still don't know how well (or not) it will work.
I'm still trying to figure out why Microsoft would hold a product event several months before launch with little to no specs or pricing, no real demos to speak of and no hands on working devices for the attendees to play around with.

Agreed.  Unless they are afraid to reveal who crappy the whole windows 8 desktop is.  The pricing will most likely be over priced as usual.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #23 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I very, very, very interested in how this is going to be received.
Very.
By the way, for an interesting look at Microsoft's last decade or so, check this out:
http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2012/08/microsoft-lost-mojo-steve-ballmer

If you compare Apple's pricing of OS X to Microsloft you will see that Apple has brought it's os price down so cheap that Microsloft can't compete.  And even the Xbox was a successful failure.  The units even failed so much people quit buying them and sales of the units dropped so bad that Microsloft was forced to either redesign the unit or stop making them all together.  And all the other ventures Microsloft prices were so high people were discouraged from participating.  Microsloft just doesn't get it.  Wayne Gretzky what is it he said.  "I want to be where the puck is going to be."

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #24 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Has any one ran Winders 8?  I ran the public beta.  I didn't like it.  When you click on start this so called home screen slides over and you have active icons.  I wanted to play a game.  I had to create a shortcut on the desktop in order to play the game.  I think that Microsloft (yes Microsloft) should have made the start screen an option not have it force you to use it.

 

Look at this link.  The video is nice.  Yet it doesn't show any functions beyond a sorta iOS competitive view.

 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/release-preview

 

I am running the release preview on a test machine I have, but I like many who have tried it dislike the "Metro" interface.  My computer does feel a little snappier than Windows 7, but outside of that I don't see any reason to upgrade over Windows 7.  I installed Classic Shell to give me my start button back and to go straight to desktop mode so for me it is not worth the upgrade.  I will probably use it and test it out here and there until the release preview expires in Jan 2013 and then just put Mint back on it.

post #25 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

If you compare Apple's pricing of OS X to Microsloft you will see that Apple has brought it's os price down so cheap that Microsloft can't compete.  And even the Xbox was a successful failure.  The units even failed so much people quit buying them and sales of the units dropped so bad that Microsloft was forced to either redesign the unit or stop making them all together.  And all the other ventures Microsloft prices were so high people were discouraged from participating.  Microsloft just doesn't get it.  Wayne Gretzky what is it he said.  "I want to be where the puck is going to be."

Agreed.

Microsoft has been 'steved'.

Jobs did them from the outside, while Ballmer did them from within.
post #26 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Agreed.
Microsoft has been 'steved'.
Jobs did them from the outside, while Ballmer did them from within.

Ballmer is a joke as a CEO. MS has been declining steadily since Bill Gates left. While no Jobs, Gates knew what he was doing and did it well. In an unscrupulous way, perhaps, but it was successful.

Apple may be king in consumer electronics, but MS is still the top dog in IT. Enterprises are still running Windows workstations, servers, and applications. They work well, but really only because they are the defacto standard. If Apple can make a good push in that sector, we may see the MS pyramid topple for good. Or maybe this will be where we see Red Hat and Ubuntu make some positive gains.

In all, I think in 10 years we'll look back on Win8 and see it was a turning point for the IT world.

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Windows Tablet, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 Linux HTPC

 

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

Reply

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Windows Tablet, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 Linux HTPC

 

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

Reply
post #27 of 61
Originally Posted by MarquisMark View Post
In all, I think in 10 years we'll look back on Win8 and see it was a turning point for the IT world.

 

I sure hope you're right. Apple will have to step it the heck up on the server end of things if they want to start the ball rolling, but once it does roll, it will be completely unstoppable.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #28 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That Start Screen shows nothing but casual consumer computing. Where are the business applications?

That image shows (some of) apps that come with Windows 8. Which business apps are not part of.
post #29 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisMark View Post

Ballmer is a joke as a CEO. MS has been declining steadily since Bill Gates left. While no Jobs, Gates knew what he was doing and did it well. In an unscrupulous way, perhaps, but it was successful.
Apple may be king in consumer electronics, but MS is still the top dog in IT. Enterprises are still running Windows workstations, servers, and applications. They work well, but really only because they are the defacto standard. If Apple can make a good push in that sector, we may see the MS pyramid topple for good. Or maybe this will be where we see Red Hat and Ubuntu make some positive gains.
In all, I think in 10 years we'll look back on Win8 and see it was a turning point for the IT world.

Just out of curiosity - did you have a chance to actually use Windows 8 in any meaningless way?
post #30 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

<..>
LeBlanc noted that the packaging for Windows 8 takes a "fresh approach," with five different illustrations available. The new packaging also utilizes paper-based materials to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and fossil fuel consumption while also reducing the packaging weight by 41 percent.
 
<..>

 

 

Apple still wins : zero packaging needed for Mountain Lion ...

post #31 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Has any one ran Winders 8?  I ran the public beta.  I didn't like it.  When you click on start this so called home screen slides over and you have active icons.  I wanted to play a game.  I had to create a shortcut on the desktop in order to play the game.  I think that Microsloft (yes Microsloft) should have made the start screen an option not have it force you to use it.

Look at this link.  The video is nice.  Yet it doesn't show any functions beyond a sorta iOS competitive view.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/release-preview

RTM is available for partners from early September. I've been using it for the last month on my work PC - pretty heavy load for 8 hours a day.

At this stage, I'm much more inclined to upgrade my home PC to Windows 8, than to downgrade work PC back to Windows 7. To my knowledge (which is decent since I am in charge of company's volume licensing), around 30% of our staff has upgraded, no complaints so far.

Now... we are IT company, so our staff is likely more flexible and capable to adjust to changes than ordinary corporate computer users. It will be interesting to see how transition goes when end-users start receiving new PCs with pre-installed Win 8, or decide to use Software Assurance to upgrade to Windows 8.

Much as I am concerned, it took me around 1 hour to find all I needed to get around new Windows. Again, this is personal preference, but I like new Start Screen. All my business related apps are sitting on classic desktop, and Metro apps are used for my personal needs, so I can quickly flip start screen and see if I have new emails, new messages or calendar schedules... without actually having to open any app, and without having to mix personal and work related. Right-click on Start corner is a gift from heaven. In my scenario, machine boots in around 20 seconds from cold start, 40% of time it was booting Windows 7, and since uEFI init takes the same time in both scenario, I'd say that Windows 8 boots in 30% or less compared to Windows 7, with all the drivers, services and other startup-included software (I did upgrade from 7 to 8). This is not really important for desktop, but might be for laptops.

So far machine is rock-solid, and everything works (including apps that are officially not supported, in my case Corel 5, Connect+Wise). Kaseya has some visual glitches in new IE10, but works as it used to in Chrome and Firefox. The only program we came across that doesn't work is Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, our Friday afternoon beer-time companion. I've sorted my problem with Windows 7 VHD in dual-boot (Hyper-V doesn't support hardware 3D, to my knowledge, and game, old as it is, still requires some hardware D3D/OpenGL).

At this point I don't see a reason for complaints about Start Button missing. You still go to low-left corner and left-click for Start screen programs. Right click on Start Screen gives option for expanded list of all installed items (like "All Programs" button on previous Windows). Difference is more cosmetic than functional.
post #32 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post



2013 could be a watershed year for Microsoft.   From what I read:
  • world wide sales of new desktop PCs are down and going lower -- meaning fewer automatic "new sales" of Windows 8
  • the Intel Surface-class Tablets aren't really tablets -- and aren't cost competitive enough to drive new sales (and Windows 8)
  • the UltraBooks are not compelling enough to drive new sales (and Windows 8)
  • Windows 8 is cumbersome to use compared to Windows 7, with no compelling features -- causing installed users to defer or avoid upgrade sales of Windows 8
  • Office 2013 offers no real advantages over 2013 -- why buy it?
  • when times are tight, consumers and companies tend to "avoid spending money and make what we have, work"

All-in-all that's a pretty bleak picture for New Windows 8 and Office 2013 sales.

MS is doomed. Oh, wait. They just had record Q4 revenue.
post #33 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

MS is doomed. Oh, wait. They just had record Q4 revenue.

Look at what he wrote. He made no mention of MS's current revenue being low.nor then conclude they will not be successful next year because it is low. He very clearly started that next year many things, in his opinion, could hinder MS. He included a listed and used the would "could" not "would". There is absolutely nothing in his post that deserves your response.

I've been using Win8 an WinServ2012. I've used WinPh7 and read quite abit about WinPh8 and the Surface. I quite like what they are doing with Win phone and the underlying system of Win desktop but they aren''t gaining traction in the phone dept., doubtful they will make a splash with the Surface or with WIn8 on tablets, and their desktop OS is cumbersome and confusing for a userbase that widely doesn't understand computers and doesn't like change.

My company still uses WinXP for desktops. Vista made a lot of companies scared to change. Win7 is a great upgrade over WinXP but the damage was done. Win8 might be better than Vista on resources but the UI is too much of a radical change that I don't think it will be received well. "If you'll have to relearn how to use a PC OS UI I might as well just get a Mac " is something I expect many people to say to themselves.

Now, I'm quite a fan of MS server OSes. They are simply the best, bar none. This is where their revenue and profits come from. This won't be changing for a long time but if they lose the consumer they will eventually lose that extra barrier of defense if a better enterprise solution comes along. Why does this speculation of a simple chain of events bother you to the point that you have to mention their quarterly revenue that has nothing to do with their collapsing consumer hold?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #34 of 61

Interesting! How sure we care that window 8 works fine?

post #35 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post



2013 could be a watershed year for Microsoft.   From what I read:
  • world wide sales of new desktop PCs are down and going lower -- meaning fewer automatic "new sales" of Windows 8
  • the Intel Surface-class Tablets aren't really tablets -- and aren't cost competitive enough to drive new sales (and Windows 8)
  • the UltraBooks are not compelling enough to drive new sales (and Windows 8)
  • Windows 8 is cumbersome to use compared to Windows 7, with no compelling features -- causing installed users to defer or avoid upgrade sales of Windows 8
  • Office 2013 offers no real advantages over 2013 -- why buy it?
  • when times are tight, consumers and companies tend to "avoid spending money and make what we have, work"

All-in-all that's a pretty bleak picture for New Windows 8 and Office 2013 sales.

Thanks. Someone who agrees with me that Surface devices are NOT tablets.
Please refer to these as non-tablets for want of a better description.
post #36 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post


Thanks. Someone who agrees with me that Surface devices are NOT tablets.
Please refer to these as non-tablets for want of a better description.


 if not tablet then what is it?

post #37 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Thanks. Someone who agrees with me that Surface devices are NOT tablets.
Please refer to these as non-tablets for want of a better description.

They are tablets. That is defined by the HW. It's the OS that isn't well designed for tablet HW, which means it's just another poor Windows-based tablet.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #38 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


They are tablets. That is defined by the HW. It's the OS that isn't well designed for tablet HW, which means it's just another poor Windows-based tablet.

 

 

I don't think it will just be another poor Windows-based tablet. windows work well

post #39 of 61
Originally Posted by fatusmiles View Post
windows work well

 

Not Windows 8.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #40 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Not Windows 8.

 

 

how did you know? it is not yet released

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft, PC makers begin taking preorders for Windows 8 software & devices