or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumored 'iPad mini' event to focus on iBooks, report says

Rumored 'iPad mini' event to focus on iBooks, report says - Page 2

post #41 of 125
Yes to "content consumption".
post #42 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Tech isn't created in a bubble.

Actually, tech IS created in a bubble.

Jony Ive is at the center, and I've heard it's an absolute bastard to get in and out of without a security pass.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
post #43 of 125
Quote:

I'm under the impression that only Mac OS X has anti-alising, which explains why the RMBP text looks so good despite only being around 200 PPI compared to the iPad (3).

My bad! was talking about reading on my old g4 PowerBook. To tell you the truth, I didn't realize iOS didn't have anti-aliasing, because their dot pitch is so fine anyway. Seriously, the pixels on the 9.7" XGA iPad are unresolvable unless you hold it too close and look for them—and I'm over 4 powers farsighted, which means my glasses magnify everything quite a bit.

post #44 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

My bad! was talking about reading on my old g4 PowerBook. To tell you the truth, I didn't realize iOS didn't have anti-aliasing, because their dot pitch is so fine anyway. Seriously, the pixels on the 9.7" XGA iPad are unresolvable unless you hold it too close and look for them—and I'm over 4 powers farsighted, which means my glasses magnify everything quite a bit.

I wonder why it's not on there. Perhaps too resource heavy to figure all that out? Or because they are using a finite number of pixels that they don't need it because there is wide variety of scalable windows and placement like with desktop OSes? I'm not a font guy so this stuff is very much over my head.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #45 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't know much about the actual manufacturing process but if you examine the path Apples usually takes with the evolution of technology you will rarely see them go backwards. I

True. But you also don't see them putting in specs just to say its there. So if a retina display etc is deemed overkill and spec wanking, they generally don't do it.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #46 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by samirsshah View Post

Yes to "content consumption".

I wouldn't be shocked if we see some iTunes Store updates in terms of content deals etc, even perhaps a nice Apple TV box

post #47 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Bottom line, the display has to be "retina" for this thing to compete at all (but not necessarily the same density as the iP5 or new iPad). Since the 3GS is gone, that actually opens up the door to create a new third resolution for developers, in addition to the iPhone 5 and iPad (the iPad 2 will likely be dropped when this tablet comes out as well).

1) it does not have to be retina to compete.  See I can baldly assert things as well.

2) Eliminating the 3GS does not open any doors for a new third resolution.  The 3GS is the same for most devs (i.e. non OpenGL ones) as the 4 and 4S.  320x480 POINTS.  Just as the iPad, iPad 2 and iPad 3 are all 1024x768 POINTS.  The actual new third resolution (320x568 points) is to support the iPhone 5.  Adding yet another so quickly would be kinda bad for devs.

3) I would prefer they not drop the iPad 2 but slot the mini in between iPad 2 and iPod Touch in the lineup.

If I did my math right* a 44x44 point target on the iPad is 0.33" and about 0.27" on the iPad mini (and iPhones).  44x44 is the suggested minimum size for a tappable UI element in the HIG.

7.85" @ 1024x768 @ 163 PPI lines up for screen size, screen resolution and HIG recommendation for minimum sizes.

It is vaguely possible to do a scale factor of 3 and start with 320x568 (or 320x480) and end up with a physical 960x1704 (or 960x1440) iPad mini using the iPhone 5 (or 4) point layout.  Mmmm...using a pixel density of 264 results in a 3.6"x6.45" device or 7.39" diagonal that is compatible with iPhone 5 apps.  Uh, no.  1024x768 despite the non-retina resolution makes a lot more sense to me.

--

* it is not just possible but actually likely I screwed up the math somewhere...

Edited by nht - 10/12/12 at 6:50pm
post #48 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I wouldn't be shocked if we see some iTunes Store updates in terms of content deals etc, even perhaps a nice Apple TV box

Maybe all these rumors are true. Remember the one that the much-anticipated Apple "TV" was really a new high-tech remote? Maybe the iPad Mini is a Kindle-killer eReader, with iBook Store, and also a remote that knows (or can learn) the control codes of any TV, stream video over Wi-Fi and AirPlay it to a Wi-Fi dongle you plug into your TV's HDMI. It could calibrate your TV by looking at it with the camera and twiddling the settings. Content supplied by the much-rumored Apple "Cable" network.

Hey, a guy can dream.

post #49 of 125
Quote:

PS: I don't know what you mean by continuing product. When it debuted in 2007, months after the iPhone, it was a brand new product that was a lesser version in every way than the iPhone that came before it.

Just that it was not a variation on the iPhone. It was always part of the iPod line up. The iPad mini name means it is part of the iPad line up. Hardware characteristics aside, just the name of the product line. Just like the aTV runs iOS and has similarities but you don't compare it to other iOS devices spec-wise.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #50 of 125
Quote:

I also firmly believe that the 10" size is much better for textbooks as well as for pre-school aged children. ... A smaller screen is not a good platform for K-12 in my opinion.
Perhaps not for content, but I have heard the exact opposite from educators in that arena who say that a smaller lighter tablet would be preferred for smaller hands.
post #51 of 125
Quote:

Quote:

I also firmly believe that the 10" size is much better for textbooks as well as for pre-school aged children. ... A smaller screen is not a good platform for K-12 in my opinion.
Perhaps not for content, but I have heard the exact opposite from educators in that arena who say that a smaller lighter tablet would be preferred for smaller hands.

Hand size has little to do with it in my opinion because the ideal setting for education, especially for young children, is to have the device sitting on a table where they are seated, the device is not held. The large screen allows for large buttons that mimic all previously tested and approved early childhood learning tools.

post #52 of 125
Quote:

Just that it was not a variation on the iPhone. It was always part of the iPod line up. The iPad mini name means it is part of the iPad line up. Hardware characteristics aside, just the name of the product line. Just like the aTV runs iOS and has similarities but you don't compare it to other iOS devices spec-wise.

It has no phone HW in it so it can't be an iPhone but it's surely the same OS, same base HW, some look from the front, same UI, etc. What was just an iPod app on the iPhone became two apps on the Touch known as Music and Videos, but it's much more than just a PMP, yet didn't warrant it's only category. I'd argue they really just expanded the PMP category to include the phone-less iPhone which puts it a lot closer to a PDA and than a PMP. It's one of the reasons I thought a small, cheap tablet could be classified as an iPod Touch but seeing as the iPod event is over I'd say it's going to be in the iPad category.

post #53 of 125
Quote:

I wonder why it's not on there. Perhaps too resource heavy to figure all that out? Or because they are using a finite number of pixels that they don't need it because there is wide variety of scalable windows and placement like with desktop OSes? I'm not a font guy so this stuff is very much over my head.

Anti-aliasing is simply "smoothing" the spaces between the pixels at the edge of characters, which is particularly helpful for readability of smaller type on lower resolution displays. I believe it generally requires licensing tho as a patented feature. AFAIK it's not at all resource heavy. As an example Garmin has used it for years on their PND's with very low-end processors and minimal memory.

Edited by Gatorguy - 10/12/12 at 7:46pm
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #54 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

I agree that Apple will lead the field, but it will be A LOT subtler than most think.  I think that it's getting harder and harder to "redefine" (as you put it) any mobile device.  I just can't see many more dramatic changes that can be made.  We're maxing out on evolutionary changes (like screen resolution, camera quality, screen size, snappiness, voice recognition, etc.), I mean, how sexier can a smart phone or tablet get?  

"How much sexier," you ask? How about the new iPad Mini sitting in your lap and reading you the text in Barbara Eden's voice? 

You won't fall asleep, that's for sure!

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #55 of 125
Quote:

I would agree with you but then why do the schools hand little kids pencils and markers the diameter of mop handles??

post #56 of 125
Quote:

Hand size has little to do with it in my opinion because the ideal setting for education, especially for young children, is to have the device sitting on a table where they are seated, the device is not held. The large screen allows for large buttons that mimic all previously tested and approved early childhood learning tools.
Well, that certainly makes sense, all I can say is the educators I've spoken to have suggested otherwise. I'm not sure it makes much difference for 6-12. However, whether or not they discontinue the iPad 2 commercially does not mean they won't continue to offer it to the educational market (the e-Mac is one such example), nor that they won't offer the third gen iPad at a lower price point once the 4th gen is released. I guess my point about discontinuing the iPad 2 has more to do with moving everything to retina which could theoretically happen across all product lines (excluding the 17" and higher displays) by next year. But if the mini-tablet is in fact designed to be a lower price-point competitor, then they run out of room pretty quickly trying to distinguish the value for price between the Touch, mini-tablet, and iPad 2. Something has to go, and it seems like the mini-tablet is the obvious choice to consolidate the fast-becoming-obsolete Touch, and the low end iPad offering, while also competing with the 7" tablet market. Apple does not need to compete with the low-end 10" market.
post #57 of 125

Did iSheldon finally get the boot? I see people quoting him but his posts are gone. TallestSkill, thanks for cleaning up his trolling if he's gone.

post #58 of 125
I need a 7 inch tablet! I was very tempted by Nexus 7 but is useless without 3G. If the iPad mini has 3G is an instant buy for me. I don't care about retina display. I want 3G, great battery life, powerful processor and a lot of memory. It's a Ultra mobile computer for me, not a book reader.
post #59 of 125

Apple please take the DRM off the ebooks, then I will buy more. I will buy movies regardless, but there is just something distasteful about it wrt books.

You removed DRM from songs and the bottom did not fall out of the market. And hasn't the court just ruled that Google is allowed to scan entire libraries without breaching copyright? Please just get rid of it.

post #60 of 125
I think this Ipad Book has nothing to do with specs, so no retina, accelerometer or camera, but all has to do with demographics. I think we'll see interactive epubs with extended javascript support.
post #61 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Wasn't that the same focus they put on the original iPad?

No it wasn't. As usual you impart your negativity onto everything.
I do remember the presentation as if was yesterday as I knew it would be revolutionary.
I don't think Steve Jobs said "look folks we have created an e-reader".
But that is what you are implying, and don't try and squirm your way out of it.
post #62 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

Now that we've been spoiled by Retina or HiDPi displays, the answer to your questions is YES, the original iPad & iPhone 3GS are bad for reading.  The iPad Mini with a 326dpi 2048x1536 display would be killer. I'd be first in line to buy one.  Once you go retina there's no going back, at least not for me.

The term retina display was coined to express the notion that the display is pretty much as good as it gets because of the limitations in the human retina not being able to 

detect pixels which were any more miniscule (when held at the appropriate distance). There is little point in going so far beyond 'retina resolution' as 326dpi. (1) higher cost (2) extra pixels means harder work for the graphics processor, again more expense, and more heat and juice drawn from a smaller batter than the 9.7" iPad.

I think they'll stay at 163dpi this time, maybe with anti-reflective finish. Not retina - but better than the iPad 1 & 2.

If the iPad is being focused on the eReader market (I'm not altogether convinced but this is the premise of the article), then there are implications for other things than the screen. We can expect it to be light, with good battery life. But processing power is not a priority for iBooks, so we could well see A5 levels of performance rather than the A6 speed of the iPhone 5.

post #63 of 125

So where will I be excited iPad mini or iBook?

post #64 of 125
Quote:

1) They aren't manufacturing any 163 PPI iPhones or iPod Touches is one of the key reasons they would use that same equipment they long ago paid for and perfected in these new tablets.

That's one way to look at it. The other perspective is that why not discontinue "obsolete" production capacity.

Quote:

2) There is also diseconomies of scale. Aren't some of the rumours on the iPhone delays based on the display not being easily manufactured? So why add to that by creating millions of displays that are 4.27x the size of the current iPhone 5 display just so they are also 326 PPI?

I don't know about the veracity of rumors. But I know that these so-called low yields are not hurting Apple's margins. And they are not hurting the suppliers enough, or else they'd refuse to swallow the costs. For sure, the low yields are not stopping Apple from manufacturing and selling the highest number of devices using that display.

Quote:

3) At 326 PPI the 7.85 iPad mini would have the same resolution of the iPad (3) which is already very heavy, expensive, and simply doesn't have the room to put all that in a smaller device without getting thicker. You can loose some battery bulk with the smaller backlight and 32nm process but not enough to counter more than a fraction of it. It's simply not feasible. It could also wind up being more expensive than the 9.7" version because in technology using smaller, more power efficient components is more costly... not less.
4) The iPad (3) has a 264 PPI display so why do would you think that isn't good enough? Why not at least something that is closer to the PPI of the current iPad as you hold a tablet farther from your face than a phone? 1600x1200 would be 255 PPI.

I agree with both points. I am simply suggesting that 163 ppi is not a foregone conclusion, even if I believe it is more practical and likely. At 163 ppi, the iPad Air will fall well short of the 216 ppi on Nexus 7 and 254 ppi on Kindle Fire HD. It would surprise me if Apple will undercut Amazon or Google in price. So how will this product be positioned?

post #65 of 125
Why would Apple announce a device that has a lower ppi than Fire HD or Nexus 7 but most likely would be more expensive? To me that comes across as arrogant - Apple thinking they can release something that's just "good enough" and people will buy it because its got an apple logo on it. Yeah I know display isn't everything but its a pretty big deal with tablets, especially if you're positioning the tablet for books and education.
post #66 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

That's one way to look at it. The other perspective is that why not discontinue "obsolete" production capacity.

Can you explain how the capacity for production can be "obsolete"? If you need any production then production isn't obsolete.

Quote:
I don't know about the veracity of rumors. But I know that these so-called low yields are not hurting Apple's margins. And they are not hurting the suppliers enough, or else they'd refuse to swallow the costs. For sure, the low yields are not stopping Apple from manufacturing and selling the highest number of devices using that display.

You don't think selling less products than you could otherwise sell doesn't hurt a company? You could have an apple stand that is profitable but if you can't get to an entire orchard to pick more apples that there is a demand for then you are not making as much money as possible.

But lets look at margins. You're talking about not just taking the 4" iPhone 5 displays that are rumoured to a be key component that Apple can't get produced fast enough and putting that same tech into what is rumoured to be a low cost tablet. A tablet that will have a lower profit margin... and that is even without considering the additional cost for yield issues of producing the same display at 4.27x the area. Everything about that idea says it's not a smart move.
Quote:
I agree with both points. I am simply suggesting that 163 ppi is not a foregone conclusion, even if I believe it is more practical and likely. At 163 ppi, the iPad Air will fall well short of the 216 ppi on Nexus 7 and 254 ppi on Kindle Fire HD. It would surprise me if Apple will undercut Amazon or Google in price. So how will this product be positioned?

If we're talking about a 7.85" 4:3 display then a 163 or 326 PPI are a foregone conclusion because the only reason for that specific size and aspect ratio are for using a resolution that is already found on the iPad. There is unequivocally no argument to support that size. The latter is foolish if you except this to be a lightweight (one-handed), cost effective tablet that can compete with the current 7" tablets. In fact, the idea of the 326 PPI display on the 7.85" iPad mini would make it considerably more costly to make over the iPad (3) because of the increased difficulty. It's just not feasible to think that anything other than 163 PPI makes sense if you believe the 7.85" rumour.

post #67 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why would Apple announce a device that has a lower ppi than Fire HD or Nexus 7 but most likely would be more expensive?

Marketing

post #68 of 125
Apple thinking they can release something that's just "good enough" and people will buy it because its got an apple logo on it.

Except in this case "good enough" would be better than anything on the market.

And no, I'm not rooting for the stupid thing, I'm saying that the corners people believe Apple is cutting are the corners that have to be cut to make a smaller tablet.

If the stupid thing comes out, people will complain about it, get this, for being EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANTED IT TO BE. You mark my words.

Originally Posted by fatusmiles View Post
Marketing

No, thank you, Apple has not destroyed the tablet, phone, PMP, and ultralight computer market thanks to "marketing".

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #69 of 125
Quote:

Why would Apple announce a device that has a lower ppi than Fire HD or Nexus 7 but most likely would be more expensive? To me that comes across as arrogant - Apple thinking they can release something that's just "good enough" and people will buy it because its got an apple logo on it. Yeah I know display isn't everything but its a pretty big deal with tablets, especially if you're positioning the tablet for books and education.

Why does the PPI have to be higher? Why does it have to be less expensive based solely on the PPI? Why are you ignoring that a 7.85" 4:3 display has about 40% more area than a 7" 16:9 display? Why is 163 PPI, which is about 20% higher than the still selling iPad 2, such an awful resolution against products that aren't yet on sale? Since when has Apple competed on specs over the user experience?

post #70 of 125
Quote:

No, thank you, Apple has not destroyed the tablet, phone, PMP, and ultralight computer market thanks to "marketing".

They have not destroy anything except applications

post #71 of 125
Quote:

Why does the PPI have to be higher? Why does it have to be less expensive based solely on the PPI? Why are you ignoring that a 7.85" 4:3 display has about 40% more area than a 7" 16:9 display? Why is 163 PPI, which is about 20% higher than the still selling iPad 2, such an awful resolution against products that aren't yet on sale? Since when has Apple competed on specs over the user experience?
Apple may say they don't compete on spec but I think that's BS. Apple has a heavy focus on retina displays, they're beefing up their capabilities in chip design. Apple is all about making what they feel Is a superior product. I don't see how coming out with a product that had an inferior display cuts it, the last thing they want is someone reviewing it and saying the display on the Fire or Nexus is better. Display trumps real estate IMO.
post #72 of 125
Quote:

Funny I use my iPad to read books all the time. I'm guessing people use the Fire and Nexus 7 for that purpose too. I guess we're all epic failures? lol.gif

No, but you will never convince the eInk folks that their display isn't superior even though there are no actual facts to back them up.  

There is a long held popular misconception that LCD screens are bad for reading or bad for your eyes or both.  If you look into it you will find it has no factual support at all.  

There are also lots of folks like me who find eInk screens to be hard on their eyes, but since this is absolute heresy to even mention it, this also is denied and ridiculed.  

post #73 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except in this case "good enough" would be better than anything on the market.

And no, I'm not rooting for the stupid thing, I'm saying that the corners people believe Apple is cutting are the corners that have to be cut to make a smaller tablet.

If the stupid thing comes out, people will complain about it, get this, for being EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANTED IT TO BE. You mark my words.

I thought it was Apple's motto to create what they feel are the best possible products, not just something that's "good enough". If Apple is going to release something that's just "good enough" so they can meet some price target and still keep decent margins then why even bother. We have the iPad 2, so just keep selling that then.
post #74 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

No, but you will never convince the eInk folks that their display isn't superior even though there are no actual facts to back them up.  

There is a long held popular misconception that LCD screens are bad for reading or bad for your eyes or both.  If you look into it you will find it has no factual support at all.  

There are also lots of folks like me who find eInk screens to be hard on their eyes, but since this is absolute heresy to even mention it, this also is denied and ridiculed.  
Ever since I got my iPad my Nook has been collecting dust. Only time I use it is if I'm outside in direct sunlight. To me that's the only benefit of eink
post #75 of 125
Quote:

Apple may say they don't compete on spec but I think that's BS. Apple has a heavy focus on retina displays, they're beefing up their capabilities in chip design. Apple is all about making what they feel Is a superior product. I don't see how coming out with a product that had an inferior display cuts it, the last thing they want is someone reviewing it and saying the display on the Fire or Nexus is better. Display trumps real estate IMO.

So you think Apple is using Retina displays solely because they can advertise the pixel density and not because it actually makes the user experience better? Yet you've ignored that they don't have the highest capacity RAM or highest number of CPU cycles or even the fact that the iPhone 3GS was falling behind other phones in PPI and resolution because they didn't simply bump the spec willy nilly to make a spec sheet look better at the risk of hurting the user experience. No, they balanced the pros and cons only releasing the Retina display when it made sense because scaling the resolution by 2x was best for developers and customers. If you think Apple cares about a spec sheet over the totality of the device then you don't understand Apple at all.

post #76 of 125
Quote:

I thought it was Apple's motto to create what they feel are the best possible products, not just something that's "good enough". If Apple is going to release something that's just "good enough" so they can meet some price target and still keep decent margins then why even bother. We have the iPad 2, so just keep selling that then.

If that is the case then explain to me the 4th gen iPod Touch that had a vastly inferior display than the iPhone? Are you going to tell use the iPod Touch is somehow different but an iPad mini should be speced so high that it would have to be more expensive than the current iPad (3).

post #77 of 125
Originally Posted by fatusmiles View Post
They have not destroy anything except applications

So you don't consider owning 90% of the tablet market, 75% of the PMP market, 33% of the phone market (with six models), and having the cheapest and unquestionably best ultrabook to be… good.

Exactly. They wouldn't make something "good enough" if they made it, but it's THEIR definition that matters.

post #78 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

SolipsismX nailed it. The size is very specific: 7.85". At 163 dpi that's exactly 1024 x 768. Is it a coincidence that the iPad Mini is being introduced (if it is) just as the 3GS drops out of the bottom of the lineup and there's surplus capacity to make 163-dpi mother glass? No way—that's the screen of the iPad Mini.

At the distance you're going to hold it, it will be just fine for reading. I've read hundreds of books on a 15" screen with the same resolution, so that's only 85.33 dpi. Also just fine. The antialiasing on all of Apple's screens is very good. Don't worry about it.

Of course iSheldon is either a paid troll or just insane and doing it for free, but e-ink is crap. I thought it sounded cool when people started talking about it 25 years ago, but remember that was when LCD displays were like a digital watch. The main advantages were supposed to be that they could be made in any size and would be cheap as dirt. Well, they finally showed up and they're tiny, expensive (for what you get—cheaper than a good LCD of the same size of course), coarse (with antialiasing impossible), and most importantly, display gray type on a very, very slightly lighter gray background—and of course, have to be brightly lit to be read at all. How anybody can tolerate these things is beyond me.

People also forget that most of the buying public doesn't actually give a sh*t about "retina" displays either .  The "Retina display" is a marketing term, whereas most of the comments here are treating it like it was a spec instead.  What it means to the consumer is "great screen" or maybe "so fine you can't see the pixels" but in truth the average customer isn't looking for pixels and doesn't care.  As long as when they pick it up the words "great screen" go through their minds, that's all that's necessary.  I think this will happen whether it's 1024x768 or whether it's ten times higher resolution.  Because ... Apple. 

I have given away my old iPhones and my old iPads to people who have never had one before and they absolutely gush over the "wonderful screen" (on the 3G!) and how "light it is" (the original iPad!).  All the tech blogs will carp if it's only 1024x768 but then just like with every other Apple product, the public will go out an buy it in droves and love it to death regardless.  

There are lots of folks out there right now who are using "old" "crappy" screens on the 3G and 3Gs who are completely aware of the existence of the iPhone 4, 4s, and 5, who just don't care about the fact that their screen is technically not as good.  There are millions of people out there using iPad 2 right now who don't give a crap about the fact that their screen is technically inferior either.  

post #79 of 125
Quote:

Ever since I got my iPad my Nook has been collecting dust. Only time I use it is if I'm outside in direct sunlight. To me that's the only benefit of eink

True enough.  Direct sunlight is hard even on the iPad 3 screen with the brightness cranked.  It wasn't even possible on the iPad 2 or the original.  

post #80 of 125
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
The "Retina display" is a marketing term, whereas most of the comments here are treating it like it was a spec instead. 

Probably because it is.

I think this will happen whether it's 1024x768 or whether it's ten times higher resolution.  Because ... Apple. 

It wouldn't happen at 1024x768 because of the PPI.

There are lots of folks out there right now who are using "old" "crappy" screens on the 3G and 3Gs who are completely aware of the existence of the iPhone 4, 4s, and 5, who just don't care about the fact that their screen is technically not as good.

People don't know what they want until you show it to them.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumored 'iPad mini' event to focus on iBooks, report says