or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Study: iPhone 5 web usage surges past Samsung Galaxy S III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Study: iPhone 5 web usage surges past Samsung Galaxy S III - Page 3

post #81 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatusmiles View Post

Unlocking the phone means hacking? 1rolleyes.gif

It's a software lock that needs to be broken, yes? What does that take?
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #82 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Abject nonsense on both ends.

 

Oh really how come? that's based on experience... I am enjoying my windows

post #83 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


It's a software lock that needs to be broken, yes? What does that take?

 

 

I know its the software to be unlocked. Not the phone itself if that's what you are trying to imply

post #84 of 150
Originally Posted by fatusmiles View Post
I know its the software to be unlocked. Not the phone itself if that's what you are trying to imply

 

No, that's not what "hacking" implies. Hacking can involve purely software work just as easily as it can hardware modification.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #85 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatusmiles View Post


I know its the software to be unlocked. Not the phone itself if that's what you are trying to imply

You're installing hacked software which in turn makes the phone itself hacked.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #86 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

No, that's not what "hacking" implies. Hacking can involve purely software work just as easily as it can hardware modification.

 

Okay... Okay.... Hands up!

post #87 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

 
Well, maybe it is a "shabby chic" sort of thing, like torn jeans?!
 

 

 

Its a status symbol for cleverness.. like sexy jeans that make men gave her another look

post #88 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Because Chitika Insights doesn't cover porn sites

You're obviously joking, but you are raising a good point.

Any of these surveys are only as good as the raw data. Unless one can establish that the data is representative of cell phone users as a whole, the results are useless. In this case, I see two major possible flaws in the error:

1. Are the sites Chitika tracks representative of the internet as a whole? For example, if Chitika has a larger than average number of sites that are of more interest to Mac/iOS users than Android users, then the results would be biased. For example, if Chitika tracks Appleinsider, but not Androidinsider, it would bias the results.

2. Does Chitika's methodology itself favor one platform over another. For example, if Android phones/users are more likely to stick to Google stuff and iOS users are more likely to be viewing ads that are NOT Google, the results would be biased.

Because of that, I've never considered information like this to be particularly useful. We have no way of knowing how reliable the information is.

Now, if enough different sites, all using different methodology all reach the same conclusion, it is suggestive that perhaps the effect might be real, but it is still not conclusive.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #89 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, that's not what "hacking" implies. Hacking can involve purely software work just as easily as it can hardware modification.

Thanks for the assist.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #90 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Thanks for the assist.

Yeah right!

post #91 of 150
Originally Posted by fatusmiles View Post
Yeah right!

 

What's up? You were wrong, I corrected you and expounded on his point. No big deal.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #92 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Well, I upgraded from an iPhone 4S, and my usage pattern is exactly the same as before. Are you saying that most of the iPhone 5 sales are not upgrades, but expansion of user base? If so, I am sure Apple is very happy to hear it.
 

I would say a great number of people on VZW and Sprint are new to iOS. My brother on VZW just switched from Android to iOS simply because HTC doesnt have a HTC One X type phone for vzw, and he didn't like any other available Android phones.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #93 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

What's up? You were wrong, I corrected you and expounded on his point. No big deal.

 

 

Thanks for correcting me! Really appreciate it.

post #94 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Good thought, although that notwithstanding, once read (observed) from a quantum perspective the post either is or isn't. Unless you follow Wigner of course.

Now you are getting more into my field of study.

Equations intact, the instance has been observed and has existed.

If you have studied quantum physics at all then you would have come to the conclusion that it has already existed in every form. Also, apparently the post would have existed In every language, spelling, and misspelling to an almost infinite degree.

Add magnetism, which has force over even quantum particles (unknown on the Higgs Boson) and you can continually twist your results.

It's staggering what can be accomplished with magnetics.

 

Uh oh. Alarm bells going off. Are you actually a physicist, or just someone with an interest in magnetism? 

post #95 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatusmiles View Post

Yeah right!

Yea right what? He explained it better than I was. I'm not part of the attack TS brigade that's been going on lately.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #96 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Yea right what? He explained it better than I was. I'm not part of the attack TS brigade that's been going on lately.

 

 

Have i already thank him?

post #97 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Good thought, although that notwithstanding, once read (observed) from a quantum perspective the post either is or isn't. Unless you follow Wigner of course.

You are incorrect.

Quantum mechanics shows that the two states can coexist. In fact, the latest Nobel Prize was awarded for demonstrating that atoms can be in two places at once.

So, if this were a quantum matter (which it is not, of course), the post could both exist and not exist at the same time. The problem is in trying to convert quantum mechanics to our non-quantum understanding.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #98 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post


I love the part "over saturation taming". Sounds straight from Samsungs PR dept.
Even funnier being SIII suffers from over saturation in the first place.
But the drivel is always "it doesn't matter if it doesn't work properly or has issues just root it and all will be fine" attitude for android devices.
Tell me why can't it work straight out of the box?


Actually if you root and install a custom ROM it works even less properly.  I rooted and installed cyanogenmod jelly bean on my phone.  Just a little background on cyanogenmod ROM's.  Those are the pinnacle of custom ROM's when it comes to Android.  Apparently most other ROM's derive from cyanogenmod who are a team of talented programmers that can't program worth crap if you ask me.  The custom ROM is so buggy and lacks features (my video camera doesn't work). I feel like I'm using a beta phone.  The best part of it all is they are constantly tweaking and coming out with updates to fix all the bugs but it's not just a simple download and install.  No, you have to download and wipe your entire phone and install, and sometimes it's night after night releases.

Imagine this for a minute now.  You have this OS that is so great and advanced and does it all but you can never get an update so the only option you have is to root and install a custom ROM (way way more difficult of a process than jail breaking iPhone).  So you backup your stuff using a few different apps and sync contacts and all that stuff with your gmail account if you choose to and you are recommended to first unlock the bootloader.  Next you flash some clockwordmod thing which lets you back your current ROM and install custom ROM's.  You back up your current ROM in case you ever want to back to the way you bought your phone.  If you don't and you don't like the custom ROM than your screwed and this file is currently on my sd card taking up space.  Next you move the custom ROM onto your sd card and some other stuff.  Next you wipe your phone clean because if you don't it will cause things to not work properly.  I wiped clean and there are many things that don't work properly.  After all that you finally flash the new ROM and re download everything again.  The next night a new build of your custom ROM gets released and you do it all over again. 

No one who has a Android and roots and all that crap can deny this.  It's a pain in the ass and in the end not worth it for the constant bugs.  Here is an example.  Just today, and not the first time, I get a phone call and so the screen shows a phone symbol that pops up in the middle of the screen and you are suppose to place your finger on it and slide it to the right to highlight the green phone and remove your finger to answer the call.  I had to repeat this motion 4 times until it answered.  I could clearly see the green phone highlighted which is cause to remove your finger from the screen so it will be answered, but no my Android with custom jelly bean was advising against it.  Only after I was adamant about it did it finally side with me and answer my call.  And this didn't only happen once, it happened on 5 or 6 calls the last 2 days.  Although I sound like I'm blaming the custom ROM for all the problems, I'm not.  There was many instances when I was using the original ROM, Ice cream sandwhich with htc sense and it was unresponsive after repeatedly hitting a on screen button or link.  The one I can think of off the top of my head is the space bar on the keyboard.  Can't tell you how many times I typed an text not looking at the screen only to look down and see 3 or 4 words with no space between because my thumb tapping the space bar didn't register. 

I tell you people from experience, how Apple is blasted for not attaching the word beta to Apple Maps, Google should be blasted for not calling it Android beta and even with 4.1 jelly bean. 

This is for the Android faithful who read this and reply with the same thing we been hearing from every other Android faithful word for word as if you all took the same course and were taught by the same professor.  My previous iPhone had ROM's too they were called updates and they came from Apple and were available from day one for all supported products which usually includes devices from 2 to 3 years prior to the update.  There is no need to backup, wipe, flash and repeat either.  Even if you choose to go the jail breaking route with iPhone and you do have to wipe clean and install, you only have to do it once for said iOS version.  Doesn't install with a non working video camera, or a screen with brightness issues, or wifi range all of a sudden being cut down when your 20 feet away from the wireless router. 

May be shit to me but it's another man's Dessert.  That's what Android OS is, Shit with a tasty name.

post #99 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderdust View Post

Not around my house. iOS will be on the way out and will be replaced by Android. OS X will still be the dominant desktop (oldskool style). This is because I feel like I've been staring at the same operating system for about four years. I fancy a change, I'll possibly be back in the futre but Apple need to be a bit more exiting. Bland ads, samey looking phones, deleting my apps (youtube and google maps - let me choose!) to name a few. Couple this with a crappy new store, errr ping, .mac, .mobileme then a curtailed icloud. I'm getting a bit tired of signing up for stuff they can't deliver. Yes the iPhone 5 is nice (still a bit sharp in the hand) but other companies make phones and Android always seems to come up with the cool things first - not as polished as Apple but sometimes Apple look as though they are polishing turds. x Verdict iOS 0 Android 1.


wow, you're complaining about Ads?

You're also foolish if you think Android lets you choose your apps. The carriers/manus will install their own apps and prevent you from removing them. Also, you tube is in the app store.

 

"Android always seems to come up with the cool things first - not as polished as Apple but sometimes Apple look as though they are polishing turds" by this sentence, you're saying Android is a turd or its features are turds.

post #100 of 150
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
You're also foolish if you think Android lets you choose your apps. The carriers/manus will install their own apps and prevent you from removing them.

 

That's not true. They're removable.

 

 Also, you tube is in the app store.

 

*Pocketable iDevices only.

 

…by this sentence, you're saying Android is a turd or its features are turds.

 

… Yes? And? lol.gif

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #101 of 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

 

May be shit to me but it's another man's Dessert.  That's what Android OS is, Shit with a tasty name.

 

Yum


Edited by mstone - 10/13/12 at 9:14am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #102 of 150

Hardly shocking. I've been saying all along that Android users are not very productive people and people are simply not using their Android phones as smart phones.

 

Google boasts about all of their millions and millions of activations (without giving any proof of course), yet Android devices barely make a dent on the web. If Google and Fandroids were telling the truth, Android should be owning all of the web stat statistics, yet Apple is kicking their ass every single time.

 

Android phones are essentially dumb phones for unproductive people.

post #103 of 150

I was in my local Apple store the other day and I have to say I as blown away by the LTE speed of the iPhone 5. It swear, it was as fast as my 100 mbs connection at my hotel.

But that type of speed, when its coming out your pocket, is a different story. I couldn't afford such swank.

post #104 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post


Actually if you root and install a custom ROM it works even less properly.  I rooted and installed cyanogenmod jelly bean on my phone.  Just a little background on cyanogenmod ROM's.  Those are the pinnacle of custom ROM's when it comes to Android.  Apparently most other ROM's derive from cyanogenmod who are a team of talented programmers that can't program worth crap if you ask me.  The custom ROM is so buggy and lacks features (my video camera doesn't work). I feel like I'm using a beta phone.  The best part of it all is they are constantly tweaking and coming out with updates to fix all the bugs but it's not just a simple download and install.  No, you have to download and wipe your entire phone and install, and sometimes it's night after night releases.
Imagine this for a minute now.  You have this OS that is so great and advanced and does it all but you can never get an update so the only option you have is to root and install a custom ROM (way way more difficult of a process than jail breaking iPhone).  So you backup your stuff using a few different apps and sync contacts and all that stuff with your gmail account if you choose to and you are recommended to first unlock the bootloader.  Next you flash some clockwordmod thing which lets you back your current ROM and install custom ROM's.  You back up your current ROM in case you ever want to back to the way you bought your phone.  If you don't and you don't like the custom ROM than your screwed and this file is currently on my sd card taking up space.  Next you move the custom ROM onto your sd card and some other stuff.  Next you wipe your phone clean because if you don't it will cause things to not work properly.  I wiped clean and there are many things that don't work properly.  After all that you finally flash the new ROM and re download everything again.  The next night a new build of your custom ROM gets released and you do it all over again. 
No one who has a Android and roots and all that crap can deny this.  It's a pain in the ass and in the end not worth it for the constant bugs.  Here is an example.  Just today, and not the first time, I get a phone call and so the screen shows a phone symbol that pops up in the middle of the screen and you are suppose to place your finger on it and slide it to the right to highlight the green phone and remove your finger to answer the call.  I had to repeat this motion 4 times until it answered.  I could clearly see the green phone highlighted which is cause to remove your finger from the screen so it will be answered, but no my Android with custom jelly bean was advising against it.  Only after I was adamant about it did it finally side with me and answer my call.  And this didn't only happen once, it happened on 5 or 6 calls the last 2 days.  Although I sound like I'm blaming the custom ROM for all the problems, I'm not.  There was many instances when I was using the original ROM, Ice cream sandwhich with htc sense and it was unresponsive after repeatedly hitting a on screen button or link.  The one I can think of off the top of my head is the space bar on the keyboard.  Can't tell you how many times I typed an text not looking at the screen only to look down and see 3 or 4 words with no space between because my thumb tapping the space bar didn't register. 
I tell you people from experience, how Apple is blasted for not attaching the word beta to Apple Maps, Google should be blasted for not calling it Android beta and even with 4.1 jelly bean. 
This is for the Android faithful who read this and reply with the same thing we been hearing from every other Android faithful word for word as if you all took the same course and were taught by the same professor.  My previous iPhone had ROM's too they were called updates and they came from Apple and were available from day one for all supported products which usually includes devices from 2 to 3 years prior to the update.  There is no need to backup, wipe, flash and repeat either.  Even if you choose to go the jail breaking route with iPhone and you do have to wipe clean and install, you only have to do it once for said iOS version.  Doesn't install with a non working video camera, or a screen with brightness issues, or wifi range all of a sudden being cut down when your 20 feet away from the wireless router. 
May be shit to me but it's another man's Dessert.  That's what Android OS is, Shit with a tasty name.

May I ask what phone you had? CM is made with developer phones in mind, lesser versed programmers are usually given the task to port it to other devices which usually end up with issues. This is the reason OEMs and carriers take time tommake sure the update will play well and even they don't get it right sometimes, hell even Apple has had issues with updates and had to immediately fix it.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #105 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post


Actually if you root and install a custom ROM it works even less properly.  I rooted and installed cyanogenmod jelly bean on my phone.  Just a little background on cyanogenmod ROM's.  Those are the pinnacle of custom ROM's when it comes to Android.  Apparently most other ROM's derive from cyanogenmod who are a team of talented programmers that can't program worth crap if you ask me.  The custom ROM is so buggy and lacks features (my video camera doesn't work). I feel like I'm using a beta phone.  The best part of it all is they are constantly tweaking and coming out with updates to fix all the bugs but it's not just a simple download and install.  No, you have to download and wipe your entire phone and install, and sometimes it's night after night releases.

Imagine this for a minute now.  You have this OS that is so great and advanced and does it all but you can never get an update so the only option you have is to root and install a custom ROM (way way more difficult of a process than jail breaking iPhone).  So you backup your stuff using a few different apps and sync contacts and all that stuff with your gmail account if you choose to and you are recommended to first unlock the bootloader.  Next you flash some clockwordmod thing which lets you back your current ROM and install custom ROM's.  You back up your current ROM in case you ever want to back to the way you bought your phone.  If you don't and you don't like the custom ROM than your screwed and this file is currently on my sd card taking up space.  Next you move the custom ROM onto your sd card and some other stuff.  Next you wipe your phone clean because if you don't it will cause things to not work properly.  I wiped clean and there are many things that don't work properly.  After all that you finally flash the new ROM and re download everything again.  The next night a new build of your custom ROM gets released and you do it all over again. 

No one who has a Android and roots and all that crap can deny this.  It's a pain in the ass and in the end not worth it for the constant bugs.  Here is an example.  Just today, and not the first time, I get a phone call and so the screen shows a phone symbol that pops up in the middle of the screen and you are suppose to place your finger on it and slide it to the right to highlight the green phone and remove your finger to answer the call.  I had to repeat this motion 4 times until it answered.  I could clearly see the green phone highlighted which is cause to remove your finger from the screen so it will be answered, but no my Android with custom jelly bean was advising against it.  Only after I was adamant about it did it finally side with me and answer my call.  And this didn't only happen once, it happened on 5 or 6 calls the last 2 days.  Although I sound like I'm blaming the custom ROM for all the problems, I'm not.  There was many instances when I was using the original ROM, Ice cream sandwhich with htc sense and it was unresponsive after repeatedly hitting a on screen button or link.  The one I can think of off the top of my head is the space bar on the keyboard.  Can't tell you how many times I typed an text not looking at the screen only to look down and see 3 or 4 words with no space between because my thumb tapping the space bar didn't register. 

I tell you people from experience, how Apple is blasted for not attaching the word beta to Apple Maps, Google should be blasted for not calling it Android beta and even with 4.1 jelly bean. 

This is for the Android faithful who read this and reply with the same thing we been hearing from every other Android faithful word for word as if you all took the same course and were taught by the same professor.  My previous iPhone had ROM's too they were called updates and they came from Apple and were available from day one for all supported products which usually includes devices from 2 to 3 years prior to the update.  There is no need to backup, wipe, flash and repeat either.  Even if you choose to go the jail breaking route with iPhone and you do have to wipe clean and install, you only have to do it once for said iOS version.  Doesn't install with a non working video camera, or a screen with brightness issues, or wifi range all of a sudden being cut down when your 20 feet away from the wireless router. 

May be shit to me but it's another man's Dessert.  That's what Android OS is, Shit with a tasty name.

 

You are aware that cyanogenmod 10 the version you installed is still in Beta? You do know that on some phones unlocking the boot loader is as easy as "Fastboot.img OEM unloock" in the console commands. You don't have to wipe the phone you have to remove all of the application info that will inhibit your phone from booting up. Also even with the Cyanagonmod 10 nightlies that you are downloading you don't have to delete the rom to get the latest version. You just flash the new rom over it. Or you go to settings >About phone >Cynagon update > The choose the rom you would like to update to. 

 

The nightly builds of Cynagonmod are automatically compiled each day. They have verious bugs as they are not completed roms as of yet. You would have to wait for the actual Cynagonmod 10 release candidate to see it become stable. Oh and as a reference this is Cynagon's statement on nightly builds.

 

"What are Nightly build ? : auto compile build from the CyanogenMod github, each time there are new corrections on it. 

This version change each night, and aren't support officialy, if you find bugs/issues you can/must discuss here."

post #106 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post


     iPhones (and especially the fifth) are essentially unproductive phones for dumb people.

 

So unproductive that iPhone usage trounces all other mobile OSes combined in apps and page views despite Android activations being many times higher than iPhone sales¡ So much for iPhones being unproductive.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #107 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You're obviously joking, but you are raising a good point.
Any of these surveys are only as good as the raw data. Unless one can establish that the data is representative of cell phone users as a whole, the results are useless. In this case, I see two major possible flaws in the error:
1. Are the sites Chitika tracks representative of the internet as a whole? For example, if Chitika has a larger than average number of sites that are of more interest to Mac/iOS users than Android users, then the results would be biased. For example, if Chitika tracks Appleinsider, but not Androidinsider, it would bias the results.
2. Does Chitika's methodology itself favor one platform over another. For example, if Android phones/users are more likely to stick to Google stuff and iOS users are more likely to be viewing ads that are NOT Google, the results would be biased.
Because of that, I've never considered information like this to be particularly useful. We have no way of knowing how reliable the information is.
Now, if enough different sites, all using different methodology all reach the same conclusion, it is suggestive that perhaps the effect might be real, but it is still not conclusive.

Metadata can be quite informative.
The difference between the data a year ago and now is as absolute as it can be.
(Given ofcourse that Chitika is using the same data source and isn't a fraud.)

J.
post #108 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So unproductive that iPhone usage trounces all other mobile OSes combined in apps and page views despite Android activations being many times higher than iPhone sales¡ So much for iPhones being unproductive.

So bored are you that you have to reply to mindless dribble? lol
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #109 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

I'm an Apple fan, but this story is completely without merit! First of all, the reason for this is because the second the 10 million people or so upgraded to iOS 6 (on iPhone 4, 4S and iPads) Apple maps suddenly became the default mapping and navigation option. People had no choice! As someone who has been using Android handsets in parallel with an iPhone, Google's mapping offering whilst not as pretty as Apple's, is light years ahead, even muddy paths and walkways in the middle of a housing estate or forrest are covered! There is no way in hell what people will choose Apple's maps today over Android maps if given a simple choice.
This reporting is driven by fanboism over honest analysis. Please compare to the excellent Android Police blog (http://www.androidpolice.com/) that is more impartial in it's reporting. Android Police did a toughness test between the iPhone 5 and Galaxy 3, and were honest enough to admit that the iPhone 5 came out better.
For my part, I will use which ever device does the job. For music, social (texting, Whatsapp messenger etc), I prefer iOS, but for business and navigation, Android Jelly Bean is the way to go, no pun intended! (For now.)
 
This report is just a statistic, nothing more, nothing less. A set of points in a graph.
Yes, you can argue that Chikita's iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3 is a peculiarly narrow set of data points, and it may have been driven by an artificial bifurcation of the market, but that's  a far cry from "fanboism."
Was there even any "analysis" of any kind? Well, there were two quotes from the AppleInsider article:

The quick rise in iPhone 5 ad impressions across Chitika's network is largely thanks to the device's high adoption rate

 

and 

 


The report goes on to speculate that the sixth-generation iPhone's 4G LTE connectivity helped to bring more users online

 

Both are rephrased and taken from this quote in the original Chikita article:

 


Record-breaking sales numbers, along with new 4G browsing speeds which encourage data usage, are the most likely explanation for this tremendous growth.

 

While Chikita's analysis is speculative in nature, I can detect no "fanboism." These speculations did not come from AppleInsider, which, thankfully, refrained from adding any analysis of its own. I do fault AppleInsider with sometimes mixing fact, rumor, and speculation, and being somewhat loose with where those lines are drawn, but in this case, it all goes back to what Chikita published.

 

On the other hand, you wrote:

 

 

There is no way in hell what people will choose Apple's maps today over Android maps if given a simple choice.

 

Uh-huh. Chikita at least has stats. 

 

You also attempted to paint Chikita's analysis as "dishonest" by comparing it with some android blog that you arbitrarily claim is "excellent" and an example of "honest analysis."

 

 

 

 

 

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #110 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


So unproductive that iPhone usage trounces all other mobile OSes combined in apps and page views despite Android activations being many times higher than iPhone sales¡ So much for iPhones being unproductive.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


So bored are you that you have to reply to mindless dribble? lol

 

Well you have to take breaks from looking at cat photos and liking stuff on Facebook every once in a while. Not even apple users can be that productive all day everyday... Now I have to get back to sharing photos of food with instagram, a day’s work is never done.

post #111 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So bored are you that you have to reply to mindless dribble? lol

I suppose, but it's not like those posts take long to write. I think you'd be impressed at how quickly I can type out those long comments I make... or maybe not if you note the number of typos I tend to have per post.


edit: typos. 1biggrin.gif
Edited by SolipsismX - 10/13/12 at 11:43am

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #112 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I suppose. It's not like those posts take long to write. I think you'd be impressed at how quickly I can type out that long comments I make... or maybe not if you note the number of typos I tend to have per post.

I have been impressed and they're more often written correctly than not.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #113 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoformat View Post

 

Magnetics, huh... that's cool. At least you're not studying thermodynamics where absolute zero cannot be reached!

I know this one gal that can reach it... :)
Seriously.

post #114 of 150
44% vs 56%. Okay, but "...surges..." Really?
post #115 of 150
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post
44% vs 56%. Okay, but "...surges..." Really?

 

Been out two weeks. Surges is completely appropriate.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #116 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


How many iPhones are on Tmobile or being used around the world unlocked and did it not take a "hack" to unlock most of them.

 

I unlocked mine on the first day I got it, phone company website > enter IMEI > Restore in iTunes > unlocked.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #117 of 150

Partisan "politics" aside, I am puzzled by the ridiculous ratio of iOS v. Android in web use. What better use of the larger Galaxy S3 screen than surfing the web? Why aren't they watching porn all day long on these 4.8", 5.3" screens?

post #118 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a study released on Friday, it was revealed that usage of Apple's iPhone 5 has passed that of Samsung's flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S III, after being available for less than three weeks.

But didn't Samsung sell 125.9 billion Galaxy SIIIs in the last quarter alone?

post #119 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I dont' buy this theory on LTE.

Me either. The average user has zero understanding of 3G/4G/LTE and what it is/does (and don't really care). They don't put off purchasing because it is/is not available.

They simply want a phone.

post #120 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Partisan "politics" aside, I am puzzled by the ridiculous ratio of iOS v. Android in web use. What better use of the larger Galaxy S3 screen than surfing the web? Why aren't they watching porn all day long on these 4.8", 5.3" screens?

I'm curious about this myself. There is a plurality of reasonable explanations, some that can go either way, something that could stand a follow up survey to nail down a good explanation rather than resting on speculation.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Study: iPhone 5 web usage surges past Samsung Galaxy S III