or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Pictures show alleged 16.7 watt-hour 'iPad mini' battery

Rumor: Pictures show alleged 16.7 watt-hour 'iPad mini' battery - Page 2

post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Seems odd to want to push that as a new product when they're pushing retina for their computers and everything else, but still…

If it's true that it's going to be priced around $250, then it's basically a budget iPad. Are you really surprised that such a product wouldn't feature a retina display?

And with the bottom model featuring 8GB, it's clear that Apple was trying to price the entry level model low.

If we ignore the iPhone and iPod Touch, which feature tiny screens, then only two Apple products with larger screens feature a retina display, the third gen iPad and the Macbook Pro 15" retina. I'm guessing that those will be joined by a Macbook Pro 13" retina soon.

post #42 of 48
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
If it's true that it's going to be priced around $250, then it's basically a budget iPad. Are you really surprised that such a product wouldn't feature a retina display?

Not at all, I'm just surprised that they'd make such a product with the rest of their lineup forgoing old-timey displays.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #43 of 48
Quote:

Not at all, I'm just surprised that they'd make such a product with the rest of their lineup forgoing old-timey displays.

Maybe you're on a different planet than me, but they still have "old-timey" (i.e, non-retina) displays on the following products which are still being sold:

MacBook Air 11"
MacBook Air 13"
MacBook Pro 13"
MacBook Pro 15"
iMac 21"
iMac 27"
iPad 2
Apple Thunderbolt Display 27"

The following products are retina:
iPad 3
MacBook Pro 15" Retina
iPhone
iPod Touch

I don't see anything that indicates that a non-retina economy iPad would stick out like a sore thumb.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #44 of 48
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
Maybe you're on a different planet than me, but they still have "old-timey" (i.e, non-retina) displays on the following products which are still being sold:
MacBook Air 11"
MacBook Air 13"
MacBook Pro 13"
MacBook Pro 15"
iMac 21"
iMac 27"
iPad 2
Apple Thunderbolt Display 27"

And if the rumors are true, these will be removed from this list in a very short period of time. Doesn't really leave much left, and it's not like they're going to keep them that way.

And if the other rumors are true, this will stop being sold entirely.

post #45 of 48
Quote:

And if the rumors are true, these will be removed from this list in a very short period of time. Doesn't really leave much left, and it's not like they're going to keep them that way.

I thought the rumors were the iMacs weren't getting retina which would imply neither is the 27" display.  

Pretty much the only other thing folks expect retina for is the 13" MBP.

post #46 of 48
Originally Posted by nht View Post
I thought the rumors were the iMacs weren't getting retina which would imply neither is the 27" display.  

Oh? I read '21.5" will get it first, 27" to follow," which would imply a Thunderbolt Display update at the same time. I dunno; it's all a crapshoot anyway.

post #47 of 48
Quote:

First, I doubt if Apple has to base its decisions on rumors.

Second, even if you want to believe the rumors, most of them say that the iMac isn't going retina any time soon - which means that the Thunderbolt display probably isn't, either.

Third, what makes you think they'd drop the base 13" MBP if they bring out a retina 13" MBP? When they introduced the 15" rMBP, they kept the non-retina model. Why wouldn't they do the same for the 13"

Fourth, even if Apple does drop non-retina products at some time in the future (which they very well might do at some point), your statement was wrong. You said "Not at all, I'm just surprised that they'd make such a product with the rest of their lineup forgoing old-timey displays."

Clearly, the rest of the lineup is NOT foregoing 'old-timey' displays. Most of the product lines will still be selling 'old-timey' displays for this Christmas season.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #48 of 48
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
First, I doubt if Apple has to base its decisions on rumors.

Well no, that's not what I'm saying. I'm alluding to the opposite

Second, even if you want to believe the rumors, most of them say that the iMac isn't going retina any time soon - which means that the Thunderbolt display probably isn't, either.

As above, I'd read the 21.5" gets it first, so I'll give you that one. A 27" retina is probably a ways away.

Third, what makes you think they'd drop the base 13" MBP if they bring out a retina 13" MBP? When they introduced the 15" rMBP, they kept the non-retina model. Why wouldn't they do the same for the 13"

Did I say that? OH! I see, sorry, yeah, I did bold the wrong thing. Okay, when the 13" rMBP is released, no, I don't figure the regular one will be immediately discontinued, but you can't think they don't intend to stop selling both non-retina models very soon. 

Clearly, the rest of the lineup is NOT foregoing 'old-timey' displays. Most of the product lines will still be selling 'old-timey' displays for this Christmas season.

Fine, what's a better word there? They ARE forgoing them, but pick a future-tense version of that. 'Abandoning' is too strong, as is 'dispensing'. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Pictures show alleged 16.7 watt-hour 'iPad mini' battery