or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Retailer purports to show 'iPad mini' in Wi-Fi, cellular models priced from 250-650 euros
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Retailer purports to show 'iPad mini' in Wi-Fi, cellular models priced from 250-650 euros - Page 5

post #161 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

De cloud, boss... de iCloud...!
So the magazines I get off newsstand would be stored via iCloud? Because those are running me 300-400MB per magazine.
post #162 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmel View Post

Today, from the rumors I've heard, a $250 iPad mini with 2-year old hardware and 8GB is a very bad idea.
This. A 16GB at that price or $299 with competitive hardware would own this market. 8GB at that price is a joke, is insulting.
post #163 of 197
If this is going to be true, this might just smoke the competition. But didn't someone say the iPad Mini was gonna be out only as a Wi-Fi model?
post #164 of 197

Some of the pieces are in place: IGZO screens are manufactured by sharp, could mean retina display without the bigger energy consumption, and the A6 soc has the same GPU performance as the A5X that drives the new iPad with retina display. 

Maybe not in big volumes, hence the 250$ non retina iPad mini.. 

post #165 of 197
The markup for additional flash storage is disgusting. E100 for an extra 8GB - so generous Apple. These must be placeholder prices the retailer has set rather than the actual Apple RRPs...

If not, I see a lot of people getting Nexus 7s and other alternatives instead, especially if they want more than 8GB.
post #166 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't disagree entirely however there are still some unanswered questions that school boards need to understand. Apple is not presenting a comprehensive guideline for implementation which leaves IT managers for school districts with a lot of uncertainty. Do the parents own the device, does the classroom own the device, do the kids have the ability to check out the device for home use, does the device stay with the classroom the next year. Who's Apple ID is used to download content, etc.

What are the educational benefits of laptops/tablets in the elementary thru high school classroom? Are there studies that show significant improvement in test scores and/or knowledge retention? Is it more about saving money on hard-copy textbooks instead of significant learning improvements? 

 

Google has been pushing their Chromebook education initiative since last year, getting 500+ school districts to sign on so far. It even answers most of your post questions. But Google, with all the research they have access to, apparently can't definitively show significant student benefits attributable directly to digital media delivery in the classroom. Perhaps there's some vetted studies out there somewhere that prove the value in both learning improvements and cost savings and just I hadn't found them yet. Please link some if anyone has them.

 

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Google-s-Chromebooks-making-big-school-push-2685156.php#page-2

http://techcrunch.com/2012/06/25/chromebooks-education-500-school-districts/


Edited by Gatorguy - 10/15/12 at 3:58am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #167 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm View Post

5 pages of comments and so many specifics over a table that someone could easily have faked. Has Apple even announced what the 23 October event is about? Has Apple even confirmed it's happening? All I've seen so far is rumours.

Interesting take on where Microsoft is going with the Surface here: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technology/micwright/100008016/on-the-eve-of-the-ipad-mini-microsoft-admit-that-apple-was-right/ – I'm even more skeptical that that will go anywhere.

Microsoft is in a bind. They want to control their own destiny by making hardware as well as software, but can't afford to alienate their entire existing OEM base. It will be interesting to see if they're able to pull it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmel View Post

I have many Apple products including the iPhone, the iPad, and the iMac.  I am also a "serious" stockholder.

The Android threat is not perceived; it is real.  Generally, I tend to side with Rogifan that an 8GB-device at $250 would be insulting.  Apple is entering a new area with this new product, and they need go for the kill early.  Not "testing the market" or whatever.

I do not yet know what the iPad mini will offer.  I haven't seen it and haven't heard Phil's marketing.  I do know what the Nexus offers.  So, this is how I am making a judgment on the $250 price.

Like Dick Applebaum says, Apple has to show us what is the purpose of the iPad mini and what it can do.

Apple's strategy is to charge a premium for iOS and the ecosystem, better long-term value, and beautiful design.  I seriously hope they aren't focusing on targeting the masses with a $250 price-point.

Today, from the rumors I've heard, a $250 iPad mini with 2-year old hardware and 8GB is a very bad idea.

That's ridiculous. The Nexus 7 is $249 for 8 GB. So if Apple matches the competitor's price, that's insulting? Even though Apple has a better ecosystem, better customer satisfaction, and a better OS? For years, we hear about how evil Apple is when their products are more expensive than the competition, but now they're evil (or, at least, insulting) if they match the competition?

Yes, there are cheaper tablets out there, but most of them are junk compared to the iPad. Apple isn't competing with Etch-a-sketch, either.

I really wish the whiners would disappear. Nothing Apple could ever do would make them happy.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #168 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVX View Post

The price jump from 8GB to 16GB shouldn't be such a mystery, everything 16GB and above will have a retina display (this shouldn't be a surprise, Apple wants everyone to use a retina display). As with the 9.7" iPad, only the entry level model doesn't have a retina display.

 

These prices look very plausible, assuming the 8GB model is the only one w/o a retina display.

 

 

It's possible that they use the same 326 PPI panels from the touch in the $349 mini but I'd be concerned about yields. They're likely to be volume constrained this XMas for at least one of the product lines.  They are currently running a 2 week delay on the iPods as is.  Given the choice I would constrain the iPod yields and max out the iPad mini builds.

 

$299 for the 32GB touch to the $349 16GB iPad makes sense as does a $250 entry model.  The only other concern is whether the stock A5 is going to be fast enough to drive a retina iPad.  They may opt for the A5 from the iPod in the $250 model and the A5X in any retina ones.

 

That's one hell of a price drop from the iPad 3 at $499 to the iPad mini at $349 and in a smaller form factor.  Possible but I'd expect a huge margin hit and a much earlier iPad 4 refresh with an A6 to justify the price premium and no mini refresh until 2014 to get back into the iPad cycle.


Edited by nht - 10/15/12 at 4:43am
post #169 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's ridiculous. The Nexus 7 is $249 for 8 GB. So if Apple matches the competitor's price, that's insulting? 

 

$199 but a $50 premium is an easy sell IMHO.  $100 premium fir the 16GB a little harder but still viable.  What would be tough is if the 32GB Nexus 7 replaces the 16GB at $250 as rumored.

post #170 of 197

What people miss is this. Google can subsidise cheap manufactured products with its search sales, Apple is a manufacturing company.

 

It can subsidise however, it subsidises the low end models with the higher end. For a tiny amount of extra memory you spend 100 dollars. And again. And again. People of moderate income go for the middle range, people of higher income buy the top range. The rest of us buy the lower end models. The margins are somewhere in the middle, and healthy enough. This can mean - although they rarely do this - that they can forgo all margins on the lower end device and still make margin overall.

 

 Does the size matter? Not as much as some would suggest. As a consumption device all tablets have too little memory. You cant save more than a few HD movies even on the top end device. What people are forgetting is that Apple seem to have allowed streaming of Video in the latest iTunes - which will probably be also announced to ship at the 23rd -  at the launch of the iPhone, they demoed that you can start on the iPad, and finish on the Mac, or Mac to Mac.

 

From here:

 

With iCloud, you can access your content on all your devices. And now, when you buy an album, song, movie, or TV show on any device, it’s instantly accessible in your iTunes library on your Mac or PC. Just double-click to play. Or if you’re going offline — say, taking your notebook on a plane — click the new Download button and bring a copy with you.

 

Thats worded so that something bought - and downloaded - on a "Device" can then be played on a Mac, or PC.

 

I would guess that they will announce on the 23rd that it also works the other way, start to - or maybe finish - a download on a Mac and you can stream on an iPad. Which means that any downloaded purchased can then be streamed anywhere else, so load up on the Mac before you travel, and keep space for some you may download on the go. It would mean you could download the entire season two of Homeland on a Mac, and then its available on the iPad.

 

The only reason why not would be it might reduce the consumer desire for higher end models, which means they may have other differentiators, like retina on some models, 3G, LTE  on others. Which is what we are seeing. That iTunes announcement, missed by most people apparently, is very important. 

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #171 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy 
FYI the 8GB Nexus7 is $199, The 32GB Nexus will probably be the closest in price to the 8GB iPad Mini, in the $250-$275 range.. Of course prices for either are yet to be confirmed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan 
The 16GB Nexus 7 is being sold for $249.

I was judging by Amazon pricing:

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Google-Nexus-Tablet-Quad-core/dp/B008J6VYUC/

but I'm sure the prices will vary with different retailers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht 
8GB is tight but viable for folks that don't have large apps.

I agree but not being Retina quality will help. I think the resolution will be 1136 x 768, which will still look very sharp on a smaller screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmel 
Like Dick Applebaum says, Apple has to show us what is the purpose of the iPad mini and what it can do.

When you give a 10" iPad to a kid, it's clear what the benefit of an 8" tablet is:



If it comes in $150 cheaper than the $399 iPad 2, it's a much bigger incentive for budget consumers who just want to read their kids digital books, play basic games or movies to keep them entertained.

They can be used as in-car 'DVD players' too without any additional effort. Just put a holder in the car and slot it in. It can charge off the cigarette lighter when needed but would last a long time on battery anyway. You can load it up with kids TV shows.
post #172 of 197
Hmm...interesting that Amazon is showing 8GB Nexus for $250 yet Walmart is showing the same price for 16GB.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Asus-Nexus-7-ASUS-1B16-with-WiFi-7-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-Featuring-Android-4.1-Jelly-Bean-Operating-System/21150249

If the rumors on a 32GB Nexus for $250-$260 are correct then yes an 8GB iPad for that same price would be a rip off. If Apple could find a way to do 16GB at $250-$299 that would be huge. I think that should be their starting configuration. But maybe that's just crazy talk.
post #173 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB, Verizon LTE, AT&T LTE, Sprint LTE, T-Mobile HSPA+, WiFi.

ATT, Verizon and Sprint. Well known german providers. Ahem.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #174 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I'm surprised to see so many models. $249 is a great starting price - even if 8GB does fill up very fast.

 

There are 18 models of the current iPad in the U.S. alone:

64GB: Black or White, Verizon or ATT (4)

32GB: Black or White, Verizon or ATT (4)

16GB: Black or White, Verizon or ATT (4)

64GB WiFi: Black or White (2)

32GB WiFi: Black or White (2)

16GB WiFi: Black or White (2)

 

I suspect there will be 22 models in the U.S., because they're also supposedly supporting 8GB in this new size.  

 

And if 8GB is going to frustrate the hell out of people because most of the space is taken up with the OS and default apps, then they shouldn't bother with an 8GB version.   

 

$249 is a great price compared to the larger iPad.   But is it a great price compared to the Nook and Kindle?   A 16GB Kindle Fire HD is $214 and the 32GB is $264 (without advertising banners).   The Nook 7" HD is $199 for 8GB, $229 for 16GB.  The Nook 9" is $269 for 16GB and $299 for 32GB.    And the Nook simple touch (w/ e-ink) is just $99 without the backlight and $119 with the backlight if you just want a simple book reader.    

 

So the question is, what market is Apple going after with this device?   If you want a full-featured device, you probably want it in the larger existing size.   If you want a smaller, lighter device primarily for reading books while traveling, then maybe the $99 Nook is more than enough.    

post #175 of 197
Originally Posted by nht View Post
Yes, the text gets smaller.

 

Thank you! We finally agree.

 

Therefore the formatting is forced to be redone.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #176 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hmm...interesting that Amazon is showing 8GB Nexus for $250 yet Walmart is showing the same price for 16GB.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Asus-Nexus-7-ASUS-1B16-with-WiFi-7-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-Featuring-Android-4.1-Jelly-Bean-Operating-System/21150249
If the rumors on a 32GB Nexus for $250-$260 are correct then yes an 8GB iPad for that same price would be a rip off. If Apple could find a way to do 16GB at $250-$299 that would be huge. I think that should be their starting configuration. But maybe that's just crazy talk.
Am I missing something? Amazon sells the 16GB Nexus 7 for as little as $260.

http://www.amazon.com/Google-Nexus-Tablet-16-GB/dp/B008M04V1E/ref=pd_sim_pc_1

The 8GB goes for as little as $230. So a $30 premium to add 8GB RAM.

Wal-Mart sells the 16GB for $249, and we all know that Wal-Mart subsidizes many of its products to trump the competition, as well as volume, which Amazon may not be able to compete with, at least in this category.

But here's the bottom line. apple charges a flat $100 bump between each storage bump, so 16Gb-32GB is $100, 32GB-64GB is another $100. If Apple charges the same on a mini, it will quickly out price itself. If it prices its storage bumps in step with Nexus 7, then it will have to change e way it charges for for the iPad. Not an enviable position to be in.

While I don't think the specs ultimately matter, I.e. the mini does not have all the same features as the new iPad at this price point, as long as the user experience is essentially the same for the tasks expected of the mini, you can bet sales clerks will make quite a bit out of the specs, especially since we all know they are more incentivized to sell Google products.

And while the Apple ecosystem is a desirable one, if customers are not already in it, the Nexus offers many of the mot popular features of Apple, Amazon books, movies and music, Angry Birds, etc. what more does the average consumer really use these tablets for anyway?

I still hold out hope that Apple is planning something more than just a mini-iPad to compete with the low-end market bottom feeders, because if this is all they have planned, at these price points, its going to be a struggle ... Apple has stayed out of this market space for good reason. Although they have never explicitly said so, the kinds of people who buy netbooks are not interested in the style and polish Apple charges a premium for. When customers hem and haw over $25 or $50 differences between crappy netbooks, they aren't likely to up the anti just to get something that looks nicer -- there's going to have to be a tangible reason for that particular customer to spend more.
Edited by Mac_128 - 10/15/12 at 8:57am
post #177 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

$199 but a $50 premium is an easy sell IMHO.  $100 premium fir the 16GB a little harder but still viable.  What would be tough is if the 32GB Nexus 7 replaces the 16GB at $250 as rumored.

It's not $199 from anyone I've seen. That's probably gray market stuff.

Amazon is the lowest price out there at $235 - which is close enough to $249 to not matter.

As for future pricing, Apple will deal with that when it happens. They're not going to price a product based on some rumored potential future product. They can sell every Mini they make at $249 for at least the next couple of months. After Christmas, they can re-evaluate.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #178 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmel View Post

Like Dick Applebaum says, Apple has to show us what is the purpose of the iPad mini and what it can do.

Then you both have it wrong. Apple doesn't have to show us anything. Apple will introduce it to the market - and the purchasers will figure out what to do with it. Given the number of people who have stated (repeatedly) that they would buy one, I suspect the market has a pretty good idea what to do with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmel View Post

Apple's strategy is to charge a premium for iOS and the ecosystem, better long-term value, and beautiful design.  I seriously hope they aren't focusing on targeting the masses with a $250 price-point.

Today, from the rumors I've heard, a $250 iPad mini with 2-year old hardware and 8GB is a very bad idea.

Yeah. Offering a significantly superior product to the Nexus 7 at the same price is a very bad idea. /s
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #179 of 197

I don't know where you are getting your pricing from - 8GB Nexus 7 came out for $199 and that also included a $25 credit to the Play store (I think this promotion is now expired after a few months) effectively making the device $175.  All the prices you are seeing on Amazon are from 3rd party resellers because nobody here wants to admit that the Nexus is so popular its out of stock everywhere for the normal price and people are paying a PREMIUM to buy it!


Here is the official pricing:

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_8gb&

 

 

Oh, and btw - Walmart does not "subsidize" anything they sell, especially electronics - they force the manufacturers to give them lower pricing due to their huge volume and hence the lower price in walmart vs. other retailers.

 

Rant over...

post #180 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


It's not $199 from anyone I've seen. That's probably gray market stuff.
Amazon is the lowest price out there at $235 

No sir. $199 direct from Google.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_7_8GB?id=nexus_7_8gb&hl=en

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #181 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by siwy View Post

All the prices you are seeing on Amazon are from 3rd party resellers because nobody here wants to admit that the Nexus is so popular its out of stock everywhere for the normal price and people are paying a PREMIUM to buy it!

 

That would be stupid given you can just buy it direct from Google and it's in stock.  More like Amazon isn't too keen on selling the Nexus 7 because it competes directly with the Fire.

post #182 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

 

That would be stupid given you can just buy it direct from Google and it's in stock.  More like Amazon isn't too keen on selling the Nexus 7 because it competes directly with the Fire.

That might very well be the case now, but I know that the 8GB especially was out of stock for quite a while and resellers were getting a bit of a premium for them.

post #183 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

No sir. $199 direct from Google.
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_7_8GB?id=nexus_7_8gb&hl=en

Clever. Google is giving its licensees even more reason not to trust them. They'll undercut everyone on price.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #184 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan 
If the rumors on a 32GB Nexus for $250-$260 are correct then yes an 8GB iPad for that same price would be a rip off. If Apple could find a way to do 16GB at $250-$299 that would be huge. I think that should be their starting configuration. But maybe that's just crazy talk.

Thing is, they just have to be price competitive, which the 10" model currently isn't. At the end of the day, an iPad is still an iPad and that alone puts it ahead of Android tablets because of the eco-system and quality control. Plus, it will go up against 7" tablets where we expect the iPad will be closer to 8" i.e much bigger like the Vizio here:

post #185 of 197

If the iPad mini retina display is made on the same production lines as the 4S displays, yields shouldn't be an issue.  However, it sounds like they want to use the absolute best display technology possible, so yields will be lower at first.

 

I can't see Apple selling a device for $649 that doesn't include a retina display.  Just as the 9.7" iPad and Mac lines have both retina and non- options, it looks like they will have both options from the start for the mini, based on this pricing structure.

 

It also makes sense that the smaller iPad will be aimed at students with smaller fingers, so Apple will not need to include sandpaper.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVX View Post

The price jump from 8GB to 16GB shouldn't be such a mystery, everything 16GB and above will have a retina display (this shouldn't be a surprise, Apple wants everyone to use a retina display). As with the 9.7" iPad, only the entry level model doesn't have a retina display.

 

These prices look very plausible, assuming the 8GB model is the only one w/o a retina display.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

 

It's possible that they use the same 326 PPI panels from the touch in the $349 mini but I'd be concerned about yields. They're likely to be volume constrained this XMas for at least one of the product lines.  They are currently running a 2 week delay on the iPods as is.  Given the choice I would constrain the iPod yields and max out the iPad mini builds.

 

$299 for the 32GB touch to the $349 16GB iPad makes sense as does a $250 entry model.  The only other concern is whether the stock A5 is going to be fast enough to drive a retina iPad.  They may opt for the A5 from the iPod in the $250 model and the A5X in any retina ones.

 

That's one hell of a price drop from the iPad 3 at $499 to the iPad mini at $349 and in a smaller form factor.  Possible but I'd expect a huge margin hit and a much earlier iPad 4 refresh with an A6 to justify the price premium and no mini refresh until 2014 to get back into the iPad cycle.

post #186 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thank you! We finally agree.

 

Therefore the formatting is forced to be redone.

 

No, we don't agree that the formatting is forced to be redone.  I have no clue why you persist in acting so childish and try to put words in other people's mouths.

 

You don't seem to understand that there are just as many pixels as before (compared to the iPad 2) and they are just smaller.  I suppose in your mind a TV show needs to be reshot because I choose to view it on a 32" HDTV screen instead of your 50" HDTV screen.  Or somehow I am unable to read the end credits because my screen is a little bit smaller than yours.  I'm seeing the exact same number of pixels and the font is just as clear and sharp for me as for you.


Edited by nht - 10/15/12 at 1:15pm
post #187 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVX View Post

If the iPad mini retina display is made on the same production lines as the 4S displays, yields shouldn't be an issue. 

 

Yes, if they do that then there would be no shortage.  They'd be giving up some thinness and weight savings though.

post #188 of 197
Originally Posted by nut View Post
…there are just as many pixels as before… …and they are just smaller. …somehow I am unable to read the end credits because my screen is a little bit smaller… I'm seeing the exact same number of pixels…

 

You're just waltzing around the point ignoring it at this point, so I'll leave you to that. I've already hand-held you all the way down the tree, now you can continue believing whatever you want to believe.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #189 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Clever. Google is giving its licensees even more reason not to trust them. They'll undercut everyone on price.

Resellers of the Nexus 7 would hardly be considered licensees. You might be thinking of the licensed Apple Value Added resellers.


Edited by Gatorguy - 10/15/12 at 1:43pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #190 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

You're just waltzing around the point ignoring it at this point, so I'll leave you to that. I've already hand-held you all the way down the tree, now you can continue believing whatever you want to believe.

 

Thats pretty funny because I finally figured out why what you've been doing has been bugging me.  It's like arguing with a creationist.  They like taking some statement out of context and concluding something silly.  Your last post was exactly like this.

 

Me: Yes, there are gaps in the fossil record.

 

You: Thank you! We finally agree.  Therefore the world is 9000 years old.

 

Now that I recognize it, it's hilarious.  Even your passive aggressive "spelling checker" changed your name thing is funny in a sad way.

post #191 of 197
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Even your passive aggressive "spelling checker" changed your name thing is funny in a sad way.

 

The only thing funny in a sad way is that you think making something smaller doesn't make it harder to see. I guess that's why retina displays are run at full resolution instead of pixel quadrupled.

 

Here's what happens. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

 

Thats pretty funny because I finally figured out why what you've been doing has been bugging me.  It's like arguing with a creationist.  They like taking some statement out of context and concluding something silly.  Your last post was exactly like this.

 

Me: Yes, there are gaps in the fossil record.

 

You: Thank you! We finally agree.  Therefore the world is 9000 years old.

 

Now that I recognize it, it's hilarious.  Even your passive aggressive "spelling checker" changed your name thing is funny in a sad way.

 

 

Unedited post, straight off the quote button. Notice the extra, useless spacing around everything.

 


Originally Posted by nht View Post

Even your passive aggressive "spelling checker" changed your name thing is funny in a sad way.

 

Arrow key downward across the lines, delete the extra space. Arrow key across the line containing "Originally Posted by", red underline pops up. Delete extra space within quote box added above said line, created when whitespace outside the quote box was deleted, by Command+left arrow to the beginning of the line and hitting Delete. Name changes automatically to nearest assumed word since the system sees you working within that "sentence". Shift+arrow keys to delete the extra parts of the post. Write reply. You can try it yourself, if you wish.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #192 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The only thing funny in a sad way is that you think making something smaller doesn't make it harder to see. I guess that's why retina displays are run at full resolution instead of pixel quadrupled.

 

LOL...retina is run the way they are run to have a kind of resolution independence for devs.  We target 1024x768 and the system figures out the final pixel size.  Which Apple has already determined is fine for either 163PPI or 326PPI.  

 

 

Quote:

Here's what happens. 

...

You can try it yourself, if you wish.

 

And you can fix it when asked to but choose not to so it's deliberate regardless of how you claim it happens.  You can be an adult and fix it yourself or snicker like a child getting away with something.  

 

/shrug

 

It takes less effort to edit it and post "sorry, wasn't intentional" than to write out that long winded excuse.  I guess you're going with snickering like a child.

 

Edit: LOL...just noticed that what you claimed happened didn't actually happen in your example steps...


Edited by nht - 10/15/12 at 2:31pm
post #193 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

 

$199 but a $50 premium is an easy sell IMHO.  $100 premium fir the 16GB a little harder but still viable.  What would be tough is if the 32GB Nexus 7 replaces the 16GB at $250 as rumored.

Another source now indicating that a 32GB Nexus 7 is shipping very soon with a price of $249, replacing the 16GB model.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #194 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's ridiculous. The Nexus 7 is $249 for 8 GB. So if Apple matches the competitor's price, that's insulting? Even though Apple has a better ecosystem, better customer satisfaction, and a better OS? For years, we hear about how evil Apple is when their products are more expensive than the competition, but now they're evil (or, at least, insulting) if they match the competition?
Yes, there are cheaper tablets out there, but most of them are junk compared to the iPad. Apple isn't competing with Etch-a-sketch, either.
I really wish the whiners would disappear. Nothing Apple could ever do would make them happy.

 

Again, I'm speaking as a stockholder.  I don't want them to produce me-too products with nicer hardware and software.  The better hw and sw are given's.  I want them to focus on the experience.  I want them to define (or redefine) the experience and go for the kill.

 

8GB would just frustrate users down the line.  I suggest to start at $299 for the 16GB.

 

Also, I don't want Apple to merely check out what Google is doing and try to "match the competition."  That is not in Apple's DNA.  We will have to wait for unveiling on the 23rd.

post #195 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

And while the Apple ecosystem is a desirable one, if customers are not already in it, the Nexus offers many of the mot popular features of Apple, Amazon books, movies and music, Angry Birds, etc. what more does the average consumer really use these tablets for anyway?
I still hold out hope that Apple is planning something more than just a mini-iPad to compete with the low-end market bottom feeders, because if this is all they have planned, at these price points, its going to be a struggle ... Apple has stayed out of this market space for good reason. Although they have never explicitly said so, the kinds of people who buy netbooks are not interested in the style and polish Apple charges a premium for. When customers hem and haw over $25 or $50 differences between crappy netbooks, they aren't likely to up the anti just to get something that looks nicer -- there's going to have to be a tangible reason for that particular customer to spend more.

 

These are very good points.  The bottom feeders pay more attention to price than Apple's nicer hardware and "it just works" sw.  They are okay with average stuff.

 

I believe Apple needs to show us something innovative in this space that only the iPad mini can do.  The price premium will justify itself.  Then we can say goodbye to the other crappy 7-inch tablets.

 

I disagree that the mini would struggle.  Sales would still be huge if the mini were designed only to compete with current Android tablets.  But it would tell us Apple has changed.

post #196 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmel 
8GB would just frustrate users down the line.  I suggest to start at $299 for the 16GB.

I don't see a problem with 8GB. They still sell an 8GB iPhone 4. People work with what they have.

I don't think Apple should be charging such a high premium for such small amounts of storage though and their pricing doesn't even make sense - you pay $100 to add 16GB to get the 32GB model and $100 to add 32GB to get the 64GB model. The 32GB model should be $549 and the 64GB model $649. $50 should be plenty for 16GB of NAND these days.
post #197 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


I don't see a problem with 8GB. They still sell an 8GB iPhone 4. People work with what they have.
I don't think Apple should be charging such a high premium for such small amounts of storage though and their pricing doesn't even make sense - you pay $100 to add 16GB to get the 32GB model and $100 to add 32GB to get the 64GB model. The 32GB model should be $549 and the 64GB model $649. $50 should be plenty for 16GB of NAND these days.

 

 

Obviously, the 8GB iPhone 4 is targeted to those who are sensitive to price, the bottom feeders, old folks, and users who have average needs.  Apple is also trying to maximize the use of older equipment and techniques.  Maybe it is all they need anyway, or maybe not?  It seems that people believe annual phone upgrades are "acceptable."  They can get another iPhone with a higher capacity next time.

 

But the iPad mini is like a new product.  I don't want them to have no margin just for the sake of competing at a certain price point.  My humble opinion is that they charge $299 for the 16GB model and include one or two new features.  The real value, the perceived value, and the ecosystem would dominate.

 

I agree with the storage premium issue.  Maybe $50 more for the 32GB, and $100 more for the 64GB.  Just keep it simple.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Retailer purports to show 'iPad mini' in Wi-Fi, cellular models priced from 250-650 euros
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Retailer purports to show 'iPad mini' in Wi-Fi, cellular models priced from 250-650 euros