or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Photos allegedly show native Google Maps app for iOS

Photos allegedly show native Google Maps app for iOS - Page 2

post #41 of 78

I found a screenshot 

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #42 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel655 View Post

For everyone NOT living in the USA this is pretty cool. Currently Apple maps puts my place of work about 120km in the wrong direction in Australia, and my second home in Germany is only rendered in black and white. I mean black and white serious WTF?
I know I am only in the 3% of IOS user bothered by the shitty apple maps, but to me personally it matters enough to wait patiently to upgrade to IOS6 and am holding of on buying a IPhone5.
In the meantime I'm starting to look around for alternatives to replace my apple gear, cause without maps I don't need an Iphone. Without an IPhone I need a different media player, so I don't need I-Tunes and without I-Tunes I don't need my Apple TV. And subsequently can also move my dev platform from OS-X back to Linux, and if I do that I don't need to pay premium for a mac book pro.
All because of a simple stupid maps app. Crazy.

Tallest - blow this shit up.

post #43 of 78
This cannot come fast enough.

Apple Maps is useless for location information in or around London.
post #44 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

I found a screenshot 

Very nice, I like how the search bar is translucent, just doing that makes the map look larger, I don't really know how to formulate that.

Where did you find that?

post #45 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedicivalvole View Post

This cannot come fast enough.
Apple Maps is useless for location information in or around London.

Sadly, this is true. It's hard to believe that it's missing London Underground stations (Tottenham Court Road, Knightsbridge, etc). 

I've raised this multiple times and so far no updates from Apple. London is hardly a back-water; we're home to two out of the three largest Apple stores on the globe!

post #46 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

..and imagine how much further it would have improved by Christmas. I predict Google maps will make very little impact. Google lost a golden opportunity.. by Eric Schmidt's own admission, they'd know 'for a long time' that Apple were moving to their own maps. If they were forward thinking they would have had the app ready by launch day, or shortly after, and would have benefitted from all the media attention and got good adoption. Now, their maps will hardly make a blip, since it will be released near the end of the year, or maybe even 2013. 

No, if Schmidt hadn't been such a douche and given us the same navigation that they gave to everyone else for free, then I might have still used Google maps. Instead they decided to gamble and try to **** Apple users over by forcing them to use a 5 year old app or give up their private data to a data pimp to get voice navigation. Google lost, and now I could give a shit about what Google does these days. I've switched search engines, and I think Apple maps works very well for me, plus I get voice navigation, I get to keep my data away from Google, and it takes voice input with excellent accuracy.

Google can kiss my ass...

RichL - My maps app finds both of those locations?

iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
post #47 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Sadly, this is true. It's hard to believe that it's missing London Underground stations (Tottenham Court Road, Knightsbridge, etc). 

I've raised this multiple times and so far no updates from Apple. London is hardly a back-water; we're home to two out of the three largest Apple stores on the globe!

Lol, you don't need to justify the need by giving the Apple Store excuse, London is a big city enough to ask for good maps of it.

post #48 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

No, if Schmidt hadn't been such a douche and given us the same navigation that they gave to everyone else for free, then I might have still used Google maps. Instead they decided to gamble and try to **** Apple users over by forcing them to use a 5 year old app or give up their private data to a data pimp to get voice navigation. Google lost, and now I could give a shit about what Google does these days. I've switched search engines, and I think Apple maps works very well for me, plus I get voice navigation, I get to keep my data away from Google, and it takes voice input with excellent accuracy.

Google can kiss my ass...

Out of curiosity, do you know who you're sharing your location and search information with now to get navigation? Do you know what is being shared?

melior diabolus quem scies
post #49 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Can you provide a link proving that I aren't the center of the world?

Can anybody confirm that there is a possibility that I may be the center of the world?

Is “I aren’t” considered proper grammar at the center of the world?

post #50 of 78
Given that Tim Cook recommends people use other mapping apps can we all agree they built an embarrassingly bad app?
post #51 of 78
Quote:

And you see a train/metro station marker there? In the right location?

If I search for "Tottenham Court Road station", I get a marker halfway along the Tottenham Court Road. This is a significant distance from the actual station.

post #52 of 78
@marcel655 If you already have a dev account and a mac ... what premium are you paying. Didn't you already buy the device or are you renting?

If you are a dev and have developed apps that are making money why would you want to stop just because you can't use transit directions in maps. If you are a dev and your apps are not making any money the decision to stop developing for iOS should not hinge on wether maps has transit information. That should just be a business decision right?
post #53 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Given that Tim Cook recommends people use other mapping apps can we all agree they built an embarrassingly bad app?

of course not...that would make sense.
post #54 of 78

What's Google?

post #55 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Out of curiosity, do you know who you're sharing your location and search information with now to get navigation? Do you know what is being shared?

Yes. Anonymous location data (source/destination) including any transit data from source to target. Since Apple isn't in the business of profiting off of user data, I'm more comfortable with Apple having this info (it is necessary for mapping) rather than Google. Google on the other hand makes it's bread and butter off of ads and mining user data. Kind of like a wolf watching the hen house, and the hen house is my personal data. FYI, that last bit is for 3rd party apps when you opt into allowing them to use location services.

To provide location-based services on Apple products, Apple and our partners and licensees may collect, use, and share precise location data, including the real-time geographic location of your Apple computer or device. This location data is collected anonymously in a form that does not personally identify you and is used by Apple and our partners and licensees to provide and improve location-based products and services. For example, we may share geographic location with application providers when you opt in to their location services.

post #56 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Ha ha.

J.

In fairness, I suppose Steve Jobs was also once a barefoot hippie with questionable hygiene. But that's as far as the similarities go.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #57 of 78
Quote:

Yes. Anonymous location data (source/destination) including any transit data from source to target. Since Apple isn't in the business of profiting off of user data, I'm more comfortable with Apple having this info (it is necessary for mapping) rather than Google. Google on the other hand makes it's bread and butter off of ads and mining user data. Kind of like a wolf watching the hen house, and the hen house is my personal data. FYI, that last bit is for 3rd party apps when you opt into allowing them to use location services.

To provide location-based services on Apple products, Apple and our partners and licensees may collect, use, and share precise location data, including the real-time geographic location of your Apple computer or device. This location data is collected anonymously in a form that does not personally identify you and is used by Apple and our partners and licensees to provide and improve location-based products and services. For example, we may share geographic location with application providers when you opt in to their location services.

So how is this different from the non-personal information you previously shared with Google? What data is Apple sharing with Yelp? Does it still include the UDID as an identifier? How did you opt-in to Yelp? How did you opt-in to location services? What exactly did you agree to?

If you're truly concerned about how your location and non-personal information is shared after avoiding the "evil Google", with who and for what, and what "they" know and store about you, wouldn't it be advisable to find the answers? If personal privacy is of the utmost importance I'd want to know for certain if my new situation was any better than the old. Perhaps it's more about Google as a former Apple friend but now a perceived enemy and less about your privacy?

And IMHO that "last part" isn't restricted to opt-in 3rd party services going by the wording. Apple simply offers an example of one way location might be shared outside of Apple and it's partners, ie App developers.

post #58 of 78
Quote:

Yeah, you are pretty crazy. Insane, more accurately. Good luck with all that. Cause, you know, having the satellite imagery of your house temporarily in black & white really affects your life, or something. Also. I'd hope you can find your way to your workplace by now. But yeah, your decision to change operating systems and dev platforms and spend thousands of dolars buying new products and transitioning workflows because of a single app (that has alternatives) is completely justified. 

As I said, the people bitching the most about maps online are fringe cases like the above, with extreme, hysterical reactions. 

Actually, most of the people bitching about Apple maps are those that live outside the USA, where the data is absolute shite almost everywhere you go.  They aren't "fringe" cases at all.  

What doesn't help is the three or four replies to this guys post from stupid Americans who haughtily dismiss everything about the complaint even though they don't experience the same bad data that the rest of us do.  

The guy has a completely valid complaint.  Most users outside of the USA do as well.  

The attitude of most Americans on this site to people from other countries is just appalling.  

post #59 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

And you see a train/metro station marker there? In the right location?

If I search for "Tottenham Court Road station", I get a marker halfway along the Tottenham Court Road. This is a significant distance from the actual station.

Every single train station in Canada is like this on Apple's new maps also.  

I think it's primarily because they are working off GPS data and absolute locations.  The locations of our "stations" for instance appears to be accurate if you consider the platform (usually far underground and a block or so in one or the other direction), to be the station.  

This won't help anyone walking around in that city find the train station, as they will have to search a 1 by 1 by 1 block square at minimum for the entrance and could be off by as much as one or two streets, but I would bet this is actually considered to be "accurate" by the data people at Apple.  

The trouble is, Apple being Apple, they probably have about five people in a small team working on the maps errors.  They will never see all these places in person, will never know how inaccurate their data is.  The thing they need the most here is to crowdsource the data and partner with other entities to make it all work together.  

Unfortunately for us, historically, these exact things have always been Apples greatest weakness and the thing they do least well of all.  

post #60 of 78
Quote:

So how is this different from the non-personal information you previously shared with Google? What data is Apple sharing with Yelp? Does it still include the UDID as an identifier? How did you opt-in to Yelp? How did you opt-in to location services? What exactly did you agree to?

If you're truly concerned about how your location and non-personal information is shared after avoiding the "evil Google", with who and for what, and what "they" know and store about you, wouldn't it be advisable to find the answers? If personal privacy is of the utmost importance I'd want to know for certain if my new situation was any better than the old. Perhaps it's more about Google as a former Apple friend but now a perceived enemy and less about your privacy?

And IMHO that "last part" isn't restricted to opt-in 3rd party services going by the wording. Apple simply offers an example of one way location might be shared outside of Apple and it's partners, ie App developers.

Because Google also has my search data, my profile data (if I use Google plus), a willingness to bypass privacy controls (See safari tracking), and a generally bad history with an obvious conflict of interest when it comes to protecting data.

If you can't see the difference between a company that profits in selling data as opposed to one who profits from hardware and software, then no argument will ever satisfy you.

post #61 of 78
Quote:

Because Google also has my search data, my profile data (if I use Google plus), a willingness to bypass privacy controls (See safari tracking), and a generally bad history with an obvious conflict of interest when it comes to protecting data.

If you can't see the difference between a company that profits in selling data as opposed to one who profits from hardware and software, then no argument will ever satisfy you.

What does Yelp profit from? Can I also assume from your answer that you don't really care about what Apple might share about you, since it's Apple who you like and not Google who you don't?

It's a perfectly valid choice to avoid using Google if at all possible, and no explanation for it is necessary. Therefor no reason to make up an imaginary one if you have.  IMHO I see people say it's due to privacy when it appears it really isn't, based on their responses when it's brought up. 

Edited by Gatorguy - 10/15/12 at 8:31am
post #62 of 78
Quote:

For everyone NOT living in the USA this is pretty cool. Currently Apple maps puts my place of work about 120km in the wrong direction in Australia, and my second home in Germany is only rendered in black and white. I mean black and white serious WTF?
I know I am only in the 3% of IOS user bothered by the shitty apple maps, but to me personally it matters enough to wait patiently to upgrade to IOS6 and am holding of on buying a IPhone5.
In the meantime I'm starting to look around for alternatives to replace my apple gear, cause without maps I don't need an Iphone. Without an IPhone I need a different media player, so I don't need I-Tunes and without I-Tunes I don't need my Apple TV. And subsequently can also move my dev platform from OS-X back to Linux, and if I do that I don't need to pay premium for a mac book pro.
l

All because you're really a troll!
post #63 of 78
Quote:

What does Yelp profit from? Can I also assume from your answer that you don't really care about what Apple might share about you, since it's Apple who you like and not Google who you don't?

It's a perfectly valid choice to avoid using Google if at all possible, and no explanation for it is necessary. Therefor no reason to make up an imaginary one if you have.  IMHO I see people say it's due to privacy when it appears it really isn't based on their responses when it's brought up. 

Yelp is a 3rd party app. You can choose to use it or not? See the difference? 

Clearly IMHO, you see what you want to see. I have very real concerns about Google and it's abuse of privacy, which is why I avoid all of their services whenever possible. I stated my reasons above and they are valid reasons. You may feel differently, but don't assume that your views are mine.

post #64 of 78
Quote:

For everyone NOT living in the USA... ..., and my second home in Germany is only rendered in black and white. I mean black and white serious WTF?

"WTF" black and white.... HINT: the original satelite data is black and white...

look up Panchromatic satelite images... HINT : it is how they produce those "pretty" color images on google and others Maps... and is an expensive option when you pay for satelitte images...
post #65 of 78
Quote:

Yelp is a 3rd party app. You can choose to use it or not? See the difference? 

Not really. So is Google.

post #66 of 78

Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergenson View Post

Am I the only person who likes the new Maps app? It fixes a few of my pet peeves including the fact that the old app's route highlighter blocked the traffic. I've found it to be accurate every time I've tried to use it and it's much faster on my 3G iPhone 4.
post #67 of 78

It will be fixed before you can make the change. Just use a web app in the meantime.

While naturally it's bothersome not to be Apple's immediate priorty, you sound a lot like the people Louis CK refers to in "Everything is Amazing and Nobody is Happy." [3:15]

( . . . although almost everyone on this forum does.)

Quote:

post #68 of 78
Quote:

Not really. So is Google.

Yes, it is now ;)

post #69 of 78
I got sucked into thinking the new Maps was rubbish after reading all the bad press - until I actually used it that is.
I've found it truly amazing for turn by turn navigation. The area cached is huge and accuracy and routing better even than any of my Garmin dedicated units.
There's always going to be some anomalies with a brand new product but the whole thing is being blown out of all proportion in my opinion.
post #70 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Every single train station in Canada is like this on Apple's new maps also.  

I think it's primarily because they are working off GPS data and absolute locations.  The locations of our "stations" for instance appears to be accurate if you consider the platform (usually far underground and a block or so in one or the other direction), to be the station.  

The problem in London appears to be different. It finds Tottenham Court Road because it's both the name of the street and the Underground station. It's finding the street, rather than the station, even if you include the word 'station' in your search. There's no metro icon on the map at all.

post #71 of 78
In my opinion, Goigle waited simply because they were afraid of producing a native app that could be inferior in some way to Apple's new maps.

So they decided to wait until Apple released their maps. This way they could review Apple's maps and make whatever revisions and features needed to compete.

This really can be the only reason they waited.

The fact that they are acting like a bunch of know-it-alls after the fact is ignorant to me.

They had a plan and this was it.

The "Wait and see" plan.
post #72 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I can see Bigfoot in these hinty photos. Why not post complete screenshots instead of these teasers? Unless it's not real.

I was thinking the same thing. Could be easy to zoom in so you can't see its an Android device, etc.

Frankly I find there is too much wrong in these articles. They don't balance talk of all iOS 6 maps errors with the simple fact that Google Maps was just as bad. They don't point out that Google had 2-3 years of Apple buying map companies and a limited time contract as big dang clues o be working on a native app. Oh and that Verge article everyone keeps sourcing does not say there was another year left on the contract. It says they knew a year before the contract ran out that they were ditching Google and didn't tell them until the end of the contract.
post #73 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Very nice, I like how the search bar is translucent, just doing that makes the map look larger, I don't really know how to formulate that.

Where did you find that?

Michael Steeber found it, it's on his blog. http://michaelsteeber.com/post/33602342635/google-maps-for-ios-6

post #74 of 78

First: iOS maps isn't an option if you're outside the USA, as any non-USA user can prove. Second, even if Apple someday manages to release an acceptable version for non-USA users, flyover isn't a substitute for streetview. Yes, flyover is a cool toy, but there're users who use streetview for their work (I'm an architect, and it's a tool that helps my work, as many other architects and related professionals can tell, and no, flyover cannot substitute streetview, they're for different purposes).

So please, Google, release this app soon. The third-party apps "alternatives" proposed by Apple are not a real substitute. I want Google Maps, and Apple Maps. I don't care about the rest, as they don't provide the same experience/features.

post #75 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

If this comes out I will be able to buy the iPhone 5. The Apple Maps app is useless.

You're completely full of shit, so stop trolling. This is you not too long ago:

Quote:
Apple have done everything wrong with iPhone 5. Strange dimensions, appalling maps, downgrade quality software and an unmitigated ripoff cable. It's the first iPhone I don't want.

So now you're planning to buy a phone you apparently hate everything about, from a company you despise, as evidence by every single one of your posts here being negative? 

Why don't you buy a phone you actually like, instead of that kind of weak trolling? Better yet, stop lying your ass off. It's pathetic and embarrassing. 

post #76 of 78
"IF we do it..." says Schmidt, mister pants on fire. The Google map builds are already leaked. Betcha the new Google map app will be vector based; the old one was not. And betcha it offers turn by turn, which Google refused to provide to Apple. So, soon, IOS users will have the best of both worlds: Apple and Google maps both. Win, win, Apple.
post #77 of 78
Quote:

You're completely full of shit, so stop trolling. This is you not too long ago:

So now you're planning to buy a phone you apparently hate everything about, from a company you despise, as evidence by every single one of your posts here being negative? 
Why don't you buy a phone you actually like, instead of that kind of weak trolling? Better yet, stop lying your ass off. It's pathetic and embarrassing. 

What a dolt. Perhaps you are simple enough to need a :s or something. Let me be simple for you, "Hey Google is coming to rescue the functionality of the iPhone 5, quick lets buy it"

Does that help you, kiddy?
post #78 of 78
I am surprised they didn't have this ready last month. Everyone and their uncle knew Apple was rolling out their own Maps....which is slowly getting better, but still not there. I would have installed Google Map app in a heartbeat if it came out right after ios6, but Apple has improved theirs just enough that it is usable for me at this point.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Photos allegedly show native Google Maps app for iOS