or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple expected to unveil Retina 13" MacBook Pro at next week's 'iPad mini' event

Apple expected to unveil Retina 13" MacBook Pro at next week's 'iPad mini' event

post #1 of 77
In addition to a smaller iPad, Apple also reportedly plans to unveil a 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display at a media event next week.

People familiar with the company's plans told John Paczkowski of AllThingsD that Apple will debut the redesigned 13-inch MacBook Pro at an Oct. 23 media event. The notebook will feature the "same thin chassis, all-flash storage, and a 2,560-by-1,600 pixel density display."

Pricing on the new MacBook Pro remains unknown. The current 13-inch MacBook Pro without a Retina display starts at $1,199.

The redesigned 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display was launched by Apple in June. It takes many cues from the popular MacBook Air lineup, including flash-only storage and the lack of an optical disc drive.

MacBook Pro

For customers who still need a disc drive or more storage offered by a traditional spinning hard drive, Apple continues to sell its legacy 15-inch MacBook Pro starting at $1,799. The 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display starts at $2,199.

The redesigned 15-inch MacBook Pro is said to have hit the market first because of apparent production issues with the 13-inch model. Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI securities first said in July that Apple would launch a new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro along with a redesigned iMac this fall.

Apple is expected to hold an event to unveil its smaller 7.85-inch iPad, unofficially referred to as the iPad mini, at an event next Tuesday, Oct. 23. Invitations making the event official should be sent out to members of the press tomorrow, as Apple typically gives one week's notice.

Over the weekend, a photo claiming to show internal components of Apple's redesigned iMac also surfaced online, suggesting the all-in-one desktop could also see an imminent refresh. Supply of Mac mini units at third-party resellers has also been constrained, which could be a sign of a product refresh.
post #2 of 77
Is this in fact a retina MacBook Air? or will it not have the wedge shape for a bigger battery?
post #3 of 77

Fucking YES. I may have to sell my Macbook Air for this..

post #4 of 77
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post
Is this in fact a retina MacBook Air? or will it not have the wedge shape for a bigger battery?

It says "Pro", so that would mean not an Air. Basically a smaller 15" rMBP design.

Hopefully still with two Thunderbolt. But I doubt it.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #5 of 77
I'll pass. I'm tremendously happy with my MBA 11 inches, and I'm waiting (with growing impatience) for the iMac 27 refresh.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #6 of 77
Chances are this will NOT have the wedge shape, they need the space (plus the space gained from excluding the optical drive and traditional HDD) for a bigger battery. Making it wedge shaped will just reduce the amount of space available. While it will most likely be lighter than the ~4.5lbs 13 inch Macbook Pro, it likely will not be as light as the 13 inch MBA. I'm thinking somewhere inbetween, like lets say 3.7lbs. It'll probably also pack more "pro" power by not using ULV chips. I guess we'll find out soon.
post #7 of 77
Hmmm this could be a toughie, I would go for the specs of the 15 inch in a 13 inch package if that makes sense. The 15 is just a bit too big and heavy for my needs but I wonder if the 13 will be up to the job.
Maybe it won't be too long to find out now.
post #8 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It says "Pro", so that would mean not an Air. Basically a smaller 15" rMBP design.

I agree about no two Thunderbolt ports.  There have to be reasons to get 15" instead of the 13" rMBP.

Other questions:

1) Discrete graphics? I would say no since 13" never had discrete graphics.  But, will it have enough power to drive the retina display?

2) 16GB RAM BTO? I hope so.

3) Minimum SSD? I hope it is 256GB at $1,499 price point.

4) Maximum SSD? I hope it is 768GB.  But, to encourage upsell to 15" rMBP, they may limit the max to 512GB.

5) Will all 3 lines continue: Air, Pro and rMBP?

Will be hard to decide between the Air and the rMBP.

post #9 of 77
Interesting, if true, that they would introduce a retina device and a new non-retina device at the same event.

One would think that one would make the other look bad, unless there were some redeeming feature of the new device's screen. Or can they just assert that 163 ppi looks great on our new pocketable iPad?

I haven't anticipated a new device so much since the original iPad. So many unknowns in such a crucial product category . . .
post #10 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

I agree about no two Thunderbolt ports.  There have to be reasons to get 15" instead of the 13" rMBP.

Other questions:

1) Discrete graphics? I would say no since 13" never had discrete graphics.  But, will it have enough power to drive the retina display?

4) Maximum SSD? I hope it is 768GB.  But, to encourage upsell to 15" rMBP, they may limit the max to 512GB.

Will be hard to decide between the Air and the rMBP.

There was at least one 13 silver Macbook with decent discrete graphics, it was the last with swappable battery.

I have a 15MBP retina maxed out for my own use - its truly fast fantastic machine - even if battery life is not as goos as i would like - the 13 version will surely loose at least one of the Thunderbolt ports

Edited by Right_said_fred - 10/15/12 at 10:52am
post #11 of 77

Also, a pink unicorn will be unveiled by Apple next week.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #12 of 77

1) I'd say not this time.

2) Hopefully. Maybe not.

3) That'd be nice.

4) I'd shoot for limting

5) Of course! Absolutely. Until the retina Pros can hit the prices of the non-retina Pros, the latter will stick around.

post #13 of 77
Quote:

So next week is all about smaller versions of the iPad, MBP?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #14 of 77
If the weight is kept down, I might be tempted, but I'm truly spoiled by the11" ... a laptop I truly can and do take anywhere. But sounds like a winner for those who need both the power and want something more portable (I also find the 15" machines just too unwieldly now, I can't imagine buying that form factor again, except to use as a compact desktop :-).
post #15 of 77
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
So next week is all about smaller versions of the iPad, MBP?

See, I still don't get that! Doing a Mac at an iDevice event, or vice versa. 

What I'm seeing from these rumors is… now actual leaked pictures of an iMac and talk from the same source about a 13" rMBP. The latter we've been hearing "October" about since the 15" came out, so it seems to me that it's gonna happen. But what I'm also seeing is… nothing on the iPad mini front. Nothing that could be legitimate, at least. The ribbon cable was debunked, and all case parts that we have seen have either been only pitched as "mock-ups", or were evidently fake due to some aspect of their construction.

Now, that orange mold? Ever since that, I've definitely believed the thing could happen (even though it itself isn't confirmation of anything). But we haven't seen any hard evidence (images) like we've just received for the iMac. And with some of the former "evidence" having even been debunked, I think this could just be a Mac event and the iPad mini saved for some other time.

post #16 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Interesting, if true, that they would introduce a retina device and a new non-retina device at the same event.
One would think that one would make the other look bad, unless there were some redeeming feature of the new device's screen. Or can they just assert that 163 ppi looks great on our new pocketable iPad?
I haven't anticipated a new device so much since the original iPad. So many unknowns in such a crucial product category . . .

I was thinking the exact same thing.  I was convinced the iPad mini would be 163 ppi due to supply constrains on the retina displays, bigger battery needed and especially, cost.  But it would be very odd to introduce a retina product and talk about how great the display is at the same time as a non-retina display.  Of course, Apple's not been making a lot of sense lately.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

post #17 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil

What I'm seeing from these rumors is… now actual leaked pictures of an iMac and talk from the same source about a 13" rMBP. The latter we've been hearing "October" about since the 15" came out, so it seems to me that it's gonna happen. But what I'm also seeing is… nothing on the iPad mini front. Nothing that could be legitimate, at least. The ribbon cable was debunked, and all case parts that we have seen have either been only pitched as "mock-ups", or were evidently fake due to some aspect of their construction.

Now, that orange mold? Ever since that, I've definitely believed the thing could happen (even though it itself isn't confirmation of anything). But we haven't seen any hard evidence (images) like we've just received for the iMac. And with some of the former "evidence" having even been debunked, I think this could just be a Mac event and the iPad mini saved for some other time.

I hope you're wrong.  I'd kind of like an iPad mini if the specs are right.

post #18 of 77

I can't wait to see how cryptic the invitation is.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #19 of 77
Quote:

Or it is a mini iPad event and the Mac 13" Retina will simply be added to the Apple Store with little comment. I seem to recall some product bumps that are simply the same as previous launched products except for size can just pop up as available without an event.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #20 of 77
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post
Or it is a mini iPad event and the Mac 13" Retina will simply be added to the Apple Store with little comment. I seem to recall some product bumps that are simply the same as previous launched products except for size can just pop up as available without an event.

Eh, that might work. But relegating their best selling laptop to Mac Mini levels of recognition is something I'd rather not see.

post #21 of 77
Personally I'm hoping for a new Apple Cinema Display. It's the Apple device that I spend the most time looking at and it's really overdue for a redesign.
post #22 of 77
Quote:

Exactly!!

They wouldn't do this.

Even of they just quietly release the MBP 13" retina on the Apple Store the same day, the tech blogs will immediately begin pointing out this disparity should the mini-tablet not have a retina-like display. My guess is it won't show up until at least November, possibly with just a press release, unless of course the mini-tablet display is on par with MBP retina in some equal or unique way.
post #23 of 77
Quote:

Agreed. This is one bit of history I think they will keep.

It is more likely the event is about one set (mobile or computer) and the other is either bunk or will just be a silent release off the site.

Or perhaps both are bunk and the event is literally a media event. Bringing in he media to talk about media (ie iTunes Store stuff)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #24 of 77
Quote:

Eh, that might work. But relegating their best selling laptop to Mac Mini levels of recognition is something I'd rather not see.

In terms of sales I'd suspect the iPad Mini is more important to Apple at this event just before the holidays. MBPs sell year round as of course will a new iPad too but I feel it merits more hyping just before to the holidays as is a perfect stocking stuffer for mums, dads, kids, grandparents not to mention the cat (the only excuse I can think of as I already have an iPad). /wink
post #25 of 77
Quote:

The only reason to think about having an event would be if it goes Retina. But it might not. The 'delay' rumors could be bunk and the reason only the 15 went that was is that Apple knew the price would only fly with Pros and companies and they don't tend to get the 13 inch. So until the price can come down A LOT there's no advantage to a 13 inch Retina.

post #26 of 77
Quote:

Why not. That's what they did with the 15 inch MBP

post #27 of 77
Quote:

Nah. Edward is going to come introduce the new iPad Twilight. It comes preloaded with the books, movies etc. and it sparkles in the sunlight.

post #28 of 77
Quote:

I already have one of those. Totally overrated. 

post #29 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jongrall View Post

Personally I'm hoping for a new Apple Cinema Display. It's the Apple device that I spend the most time looking at and it's really overdue for a redesign.

Up the physical size options, res, refresh rate and add HDMI and it is 'real' Apple TV

post #30 of 77
Quote:

The late 2008 Unibody 13" has a nvidia 9400M GPU
post #31 of 77
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Exactly!!
They wouldn't do this.
Even of they just quietly release the MBP 13" retina on the Apple Store the same day, the tech blogs will immediately begin pointing out this disparity should the mini-tablet not have a retina-like display. My guess is it won't show up until at least November, possibly with just a press release, unless of course the mini-tablet display is on par with MBP retina in some equal or unique way.

Seriously you guys are worring me.  I dont see any problem for Apple to launch a retina MBP, iMac and an non retina ipad mini at the same event.  But even with a non retina screen, it will still have better pixel per inch than the ipad 2 because the screen is smaller.

Half the people I talk to are unable to tell the difference between the ipad 2 screen and the retina ipad3...  price on the other hand is something they see right away. A better than ipad2 screen for the mini will be more than enough for the people buying a low price tablet.

And I like the multiple choice leak from germany, Apple is making sure it gets its margin even if the mini outsell the regular ipad.

Now if only Apple could send the damn event invitations so we can talk about something that as a remote chance of not being complete vaporware.

Edited by herbapou - 10/15/12 at 11:15am
post #32 of 77
*snicker* This is what you call a controlled leak.
post #33 of 77

Hey- everybody get really excited about the MacBook event and iPad mini event next week that was predicted to happen this week... and then moved back after it didn't happen to next week.... and then....

But seriously- get your hopes up.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #34 of 77
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Why not. That's what they did with the 15 inch MBP

Ah, but there's a difference there. The 15" rMBP was a retina device released into an ecosystem of nothing but non-retina devices. The iPad mini is a non-retina device being released into an ecosystem of nothing but retina devices. 

Now combine the two. In one event, they're releasing a new product (13" rMBP) that goes against its ecosystem positively, and a new product (iPad mini) that goes against its ecosystem negatively.

What sort of message does that send?

Originally Posted by jongrall View Post

If you actually spent the most time looking at it, you'd see that its design is LITERALLY this:

Screen.

Border.

Unless you spend the most time looking at the back of your boss' display as he chastises you for looking at the back of his display too often, there's really nothing to "redesign" about it. 

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

That shares RAM with the system, so it's not really considered dedicated. 

post #35 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

That is integrated graphics (like the Intel HD 4000 in the current 13").

post #36 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

I hope you're wrong.  I'd kind of like an iPad mini if the specs are right.

I hope he's wrong too, but he's not.  There will be no iPad mini this year.  I'll gladly eat crow if there is one (and also buy one- a mini, not a crow)

post #37 of 77
You shouldn't need to buy a crow either, they are easily found all over the place for free.
post #38 of 77
Quote:

If you actually spent the most time looking at it, you'd see that its design is LITERALLY this:

Screen.

Border.

Unless you spend the most time looking at the back of your boss' display as he chastises you for looking at the back of his display too often, there's really nothing to "redesign" about it. 

Ugh, must you always be so antagonistic?  Anyway, your logic is flawed.  If there is nothing to redesign because it is "screen and border" then there would be no reason to redesign iPhone's, iPad's, iMac's, TV's or anything else that is mostly screen and border.

post #39 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition to a smaller iPad, Apple also reportedly plans to unveil a 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display at a media event next week.

I like the way the products to be launched next week are being discussed when no launch has yet been announced. But regardless, there is no way an iPad mini and an 13"mbp will be announced at the same event. The mbp may, as has been suggested, slip in to the inventory with little fanfare, but it will not be mentioned at the iPad launch. The Apple launches are flashy marketing events and to dilute the message would be a mistake. I am sure the iPad will be launched in conjunction with some other service directly related to the new form factor. They'll want to contextualize the iPad and by so doing give every newspaper, tech-site and blogger free copy to spread for general consumption. 

post #40 of 77
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post
…there would be no reason to redesign iPhone's, iPad's, iMac's, TV's or anything else that is mostly screen and border.

That's hardly a similar comparison.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple expected to unveil Retina 13" MacBook Pro at next week's 'iPad mini' event