or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft airs first Surface ad as part of $1B Windows 8 marketing campaign

Microsoft airs first Surface ad as part of $1B Windows 8 marketing campaign - Page 2

post #41 of 144

I thought that it was a poorly made ad, from a technical viewpoint, especially taking into consideration the huge budget that Microsoft is using on it's campaign.

Those rhythm noises that they added on to try and be hip (even though that gimmick has already been used on many commercials) didn't even sync up properly in some shots when people were playing with the tablets.

post #42 of 144
The value of rare earth magnets must be much higher since Apple used them in the smart cover and now this... that's a lot of magnets.
post #43 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

The value of rare earth magnets must be much higher since Apple used them in the smart cover and now this... that's a lot of magnets.

Don't forget they've been using them in their Mac latches and MagSafe connectors well before the IPad 2 was released.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #44 of 144
I can see the new net joke surface = TURDFACE, I wonder if they will make it brown like the zune? prob not
post #45 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

"The vis insita, or innate force of matter, is a power of resisting by which every body, as much as in it lies, endeavours to preserve its present state, whether it be of rest or of moving uniformly forward in a straight line."
Which is, perhaps, exactly why using a keyboard as a selling point for a tablet when Apple owns the market and has established the tablet as primarily a 'keyboard-less' device is neither convincing nor effective.
post #46 of 144

This is the best MS can come up with?! well.. good luck!

post #47 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

And despite all those clueless ads.... Microsoft still has 90% of the market.
353 million PCs were sold last year... all toting a Microsoft OS.
Yes... PC sales are declining... it's being reported that only 348 million PCs will be sold this year.
Microsoft is doomed because of bad advertising... right? 1cool.gif

90% of the market. So what's got them all scared enough to start competing against their own Windows licensees?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #48 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemE View Post

I liked the ad, but from everything I've seen, Win8's UI is just not doing it for me it's just sooo fugly, just another step down for MS.  They really have no clue, and I'm a happy PC user.  Win7 was fast and stable but they stripped out some seriously good desktop features (like each folder remembering it settings), just ridiculous and frustrating things that keep me on Vista for my main workstation.  But I built a Win7 Media center that boots in 10 sec, hums away in a closet with a 5T Raid recording 8 shows simultaneously with a Commercial skipping add-on that's such a killer feature, streaming to X-Box Clients in the other rooms in our house (and via Remote Potato on the iPad or iPhone).  So MS makes some amazing stuff, they just have no taste as has been said before.  They should just do what they do best, get a real call center that can really help users, and be happy owning the market they already have.  Instead they just piss away money to try to become something they will never be...

Just read up on what MS is doing with the Xbox- incredible stuff. The "2nd screen" on a tablet or phone is awesome for gaming or watching a show through an app. Watch game if thrones thru hbogo- which I STILL don't have on my atvs... But I digress- and see the map of the world on your tablet. Play a first person shooter and your backpack items are on tablet or phone. Intriguing.

The New Nokia is pretty awesome in its own right- which is exclusive to MS (but I agree with you about win8)

So they have really nice ideas. MS at least brings fresh ideas instead of Samsung who copies everything and google who just wants to get your info and be the first one on the block with a crappy-rushed product so they can say they did it first- albeit crappily.

Will that be there downfall? Who knows. Throw enough money and research at enough things and one just might take off.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #49 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Well, I think MS is selling all those PCs because of momentum resulting from a long term near monopoly on business computer usage, not because of their advertising.

Yep... that was my point.

Ads can be good or bad... and we can laud them or complain about them... and Microsoft's product will sell.
post #50 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Which is, perhaps, exactly why using a keyboard as a selling point for a tablet when Apple owns the market and has established the tablet as primarily a 'keyboard-less' device is neither convincing nor effective.

I don't understand the trackpad on it- weird.

But typing on my iPad now..... Sucks. A keyboard cover if it worked well, would be very nice. Not gonna get a surface, but I'd love for apple to do it.

post #51 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I knew something else was bothering me about the ad but I couldn't put my finger on it, but that's it. The ad is more about the keyboard than the tablet, or at least the keyboard working with the tablet. Is it even included? I am under the impression the two different kinds are separate accessories, and they didn't let anyone even test them at the demo they had.

post #52 of 144
So many wrong messages in that ad:

Surface users are robot like people who live in a commune where they freely interchange components.

Underage boarding school girls break dancing (WTF?)

The only people not using surfaces are old.

We like our mobile devices to make metallic clicking noises.

No one actually uses a Surface. They just like to show them off.

I defy you to watch that commercial and come up with a single reason to own the thing.

So hows that Zune doing?
post #53 of 144

The product could be interesting... but the ad entirely showcases an idea borrowed from Apple! Magnetic snapping covers? They really should focus on the keys, not the magnets. (After all, they think physical keyboards are still the future, and that laptops and tablets should be the same.)

post #54 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

90% of the market. So what's got them all scared enough to start competing against their own Windows licensees?

I wouldn't say Microsoft is "scared" per se.

But... they do stand to make a lot more money selling hardware and software... instead of just software. It's a business decision.

Let's be honest though... I doubt Microsoft will overtake HP and Dell and Lenovo and Samsung and Asus, etc.

The regular ol' OEM PC still has a lot of life in it... and Microsoft will continue to sell Windows licenses for quite a while.
post #55 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

That hipster dude needs to wash his hair, and those schoolgirls were downright creepy!

Overall, I liked the ad... But those schoolgirls... Wouldn't want to meet one in a dark alley... Or anyplace for that matter..

Edit: if MS were smart, they'd hire the Glee crew to do an ad...
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #56 of 144

Adv, does not make clear how that product can help you, so one will ask, what is it.

post #57 of 144

SO an add that shows how a what looks like a keyboard can magnetically attach it's self to the tablet.  Fine.  The whole add did nothing but show that very thing.  How about it's functionality afa connectivity and keyboard finger pointing functionality.  Also the name of the device.  I would have come up with a better name.  How about Stab. S for shitty.  And one more thing.  Everything Microsoft has made has been expensive and very cheaply made.  The xBox was a good machine but the Xbox 360 was a joke and they had hardware failure miserably.  I wonder how Microsoft will fair in this arena?

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #58 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

The product could be interesting... but the ad entirely showcases an idea borrowed from Apple! Magnetic snapping covers? They really should focus on the keys, not the magnets. (After all, they think physical keyboards are still the future, and that laptops and tablets should be the same.)

If you go back to watch the press conference videos, it's almost like the detachable keyboard was the only thing they could show you, and just the detach/attach feature. I think they showed the kick stand in passing too. It's a novelty, I wonder if Tupperware made any ads that only showed people burping the plastic ware, it's about that silly. It seems like an ultra book with a touch screen would have been a better idea.
post #59 of 144
Quote:

I don't think it's a good ad. It's fine to have an ad that doesn't show how the device can useful after you'v established product and market. Exhibit 1: The iconic silhouette iPod ads.

Except, one of the classic ads of all time was a blank billboard that said:

Coming Soon.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #60 of 144
I thought the ad was good in the same way that Roseanne Barr's version of the National Anthem was good. That is, it almost made my ears bleed, but as a musical performance, it must be recognized that it communicated her identity perfectly. This ad communicates the personality of Microsoft perfectly. Not everyone can be Placido Domingo.
post #61 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Except, one of the classic ads of all time was a blank billboard that said:
Coming Soon.

I don't get the reference and Google Images was no help.

post #62 of 144

You know it's bad when the only 2 things they can market in this ad are the keyboard and the kickstand.

Off to a bad start already. This device is already dead in the water.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

post #63 of 144

If priced right and the keyboard functioned as intended, Surface will take over xmas shopping season. 

post #64 of 144
post #65 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

If priced right and the keyboard functioned as intended, Surface will take over xmas shopping season. 

Haha, people will be buying up iPads and iPad Minis.

You should put your money where your mouth is, and buy some shares of MSFT. I put my money where my mouth is.

post #66 of 144

It's quite alright, but why they pitch it to teenagers?

post #67 of 144
Dumbest ad ever. I'm sure Jony Ive would be a laugh out of the total focus on the magnetic cover. Someone at the Verge actually posted this:

"The value proposition of the surface is basically just the kickstand and keyboard covers." looooooool
Edited by Rogifan - 10/15/12 at 9:43pm
post #68 of 144
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
I'm sure Jony Ive would be a laugh out of the total focus on the magnetic cover.

Er… 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #69 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Underage boarding school girls break dancing (WTF?)

I read through your comment and also thought WTF.

Underage?  underage for what?  being in school?  being in an advert? breakdancing? 

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #70 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Er… 

I think that is his point.

post #71 of 144
Was that a Microsoft commercial? Anyone know the Ad Agency that did this for Microsoft?
post #72 of 144
Quote:

I think that is his point.
Yes, basically been there, done that. And before the MS fanboys swoop in to tell me how the touch cover is so much more innovative because it's also a keyboard...how come Microsoft has let next to no one outside of Microsoft try out the keyboard? How come this ad only focuses on the magnetic attachment and not actually using it for typing.

Maybe the touch cover is innovative if you want to be wedded to a keyboard and mouse/trackpad with your tablet, but I sure as heck don't.

Oh and I keep hearing about how great the design of this thing is. Sorry but it looks fugly to me. The kickstand is not appealing at all. And it sure looks like the keyboard will only work well on a flat surface. So using it on your lap will probably be a pain.
post #73 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I guess it gets the idea across, but for the consumer who isn't really paying attention it will just look like an iPad ad thanks to the Surface's inherent lack of visual distinctiveness.

Yes! As I posted, I did like the ad -- it was an attention getter!

But now they must follow on with some additional ads that flesh out the bones -- to tell us how this is different from an iPad in why it is better.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #74 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post

Was that a Microsoft commercial? Anyone know the Ad Agency that did this for Microsoft?

It appears to have been directed by the guy behind the new GI Joe and some dance movie.

post #75 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Maybe the touch cover is innovative if you want to be wedded to a keyboard and mouse/trackpad with your tablet, but I sure as heck don't..

I wouldn't think you'd be forced to use the keyboard- it's an either/or I would think.

I'm curious- is this keyboard Bluetooth? Likely not, right? So it connects through the magnets?

post #76 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenardhood@rcn.com View Post

Adv, does not make clear how that product can help you, so one will ask, what is it.

Exactly. Focus on usable features of the main device. Or do something clever like Apple's iPhone 3G ad.

But focusing on the click on keyboard cover and the kickstand. If those are THE features you are promoting that doesn't speak highly of the device
post #77 of 144
I was surprised and thought the ad was great. The only problem is that everyone in the ad is excited about technology that Apple invented (magnetic tablet cover).

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #78 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Er… 

Apple never advertised the iPad by running ads about the Smart Cover
post #79 of 144
I admit I am a little torn. First, the early look at metro made it sound like something that was worthy to compete with iOS on the phone and tablet front. But as more and more info comes out it sounds more and more like the usual halfassed MS we all know and love. (Before anyone brings up android, I said worthy to compete. Android only competes because people are either too cheap, or just loath Apple. That OS is the worst dreck ever served up on hardware, and I remember windows 98SE.)

Then in typical MS fashion, they announce that they will screw over all their long time hardware partners one last time, and build their own... whatever this thing is. Has to be a great experience being a Microsoft partner. Plays for sure? I bet it does! Bundle the browser you say? Naturally! Pay for a windows license for every CPU sold even if the customer wants another OS? Sure thing boss! Anything to take over the world! ....wait you say the hardware people aren't coming along for the ride? No problem, lemme lay on this grenade for you!

Now the ad. Started ok, though for a product most people know nothing about it sure doesn't show anything to tell the story. My daughter watched it and asked when Microsoft started making a keyboard for the iPad....

....then the damn creepy school girls appeared, and we panicked and closed the video. What kind of fresh new hell they exposed innocent viewers to after that, we didn't stay to find out!

Still, I keep hoping their will be a worthy competitor. looks like it will have to be amazon.
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
post #80 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple never advertised the iPad by running ads about the Smart Cover

They did advertise the Smart Cover by running an ad about the Smart Cover...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft airs first Surface ad as part of $1B Windows 8 marketing campaign