or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft airs first Surface ad as part of $1B Windows 8 marketing campaign

Microsoft airs first Surface ad as part of $1B Windows 8 marketing campaign - Page 3

post #81 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Except, one of the classic ads of all time was a blank billboard that said:
Coming Soon.

I don't get the reference and Google Images was no help.

It was for the VW Bug, in the 1970s.... After about a month, the "Coming Soon" ads were replaced with something like "Watch This Space"... Then, later... "We're Here".

In those days, it was like watching [for] the next episode of a serial at the Saturday movies... Today, a TV miniseries.

P.S. Google doesn't know everything... Some of us old farts remember before TV.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #82 of 144
I already feel the Glee. Microsoft wants to be more like Apple. Look out Apple, you're in big trouble. The Microsoft hipsters on on their way.

/s
post #83 of 144
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple never advertised the iPad by running ads about the Smart Cover

They did advertise the Smart Cover by running an ad about the Smart Cover...

Yes, thanks for the link. I remember posting a comment at the time, that people would buy an iPad just to get the iCover!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #84 of 144

Microsoft: "Look how hard we're working to try and look cool and stuff!"

Audience: "What the heck are all those rectangles on those Windows Slates?"

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #85 of 144
And I thought Fandroids were bad....the MS trolls that have infested the tech sites are 1000x worse! http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57532921-71/microsofts-new-surface-tv-ad-its-surface-deep/

And I find it hilarious that MS fanboys are comparing this to the iPod silhouette ads. iPod is a portable music player. Showing people dancing to music they just bought off iTunes made sense. And using black silhouettes to show off the white iPod and headphones was pure genius. When those ads came out people knew what iPod was. Apple didn't need ads to explain how to use the device. The average Joe probably knows very little about Surface. This ad made it seem more like a fashion accessory than anything else.
post #86 of 144
Why don't they show some of the things that the device can do?
I guess that would not be as impressive.

Keyboard on a tablet with a flip stand? No thanks.
MS never learns as demonstrated by their predilection for NetBook devices.

Time will tell.
post #87 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The keyboard is ready for one-handed web browsing sessions.

So it's not a tablet but a faplet?

post #88 of 144
Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

That hipster dude needs to wash his hair, and those schoolgirls were downright creepy!
I would have loved, if the scoolgirl part would have been played by Steve Ballmer.

The rest... Well not my style, as other posters already stated there is no hint in this ad, that shows for what exactly anybodt might need such a tablet. I believe, not everybody needs a device for table dancing.
post #89 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And I thought Fandroids were bad....the MS trolls that have infested the tech sites are 1000x worse! http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57532921-71/microsofts-new-surface-tv-ad-its-surface-deep/
And I find it hilarious that MS fanboys are comparing this to the iPod silhouette ads. iPod is a portable music player. Showing people dancing to music they just bought off iTunes made sense. And using black silhouettes to show off the white iPod and headphones was pure genius. When those ads came out people knew what iPod was. Apple didn't need ads to explain how to use the device. The average Joe probably knows very little about Surface. This ad made it seem more like a fashion accessory than anything else.

Wow. That was an eye opener. I had NO CLUE the culture at C|NET was even like that. That's hilarious! Am I missing where others "fanboys" congregate?

I always thought wired.com was fairly neutral. theverge and Engadget are "cousins" in the industry and slanted towards the Cupertino way (in their articles and reviews [not comments])...

But C|NET is filled w MS fans?! Who knew? Someone else wanna chime in and tell me where I can find other (main stream tech journalistic) tech culture cliques?

ie : I know cultofmac.com is full of Apple fans, but hardly anyone knows that everyone on staff at Engadget is hip to Apple gear.
post #90 of 144
Off topic a bit, but its understood that Ive and mostly everyone on his team drive up to work in Audis...
post #91 of 144

OK the ad was fun to watch once or twice but so what? I'm sure than anyone who would buy this product would have noticed that it didn't show anything at all regarding the user experience other than swiping a screen full of icons. This is form without function. The amplified 'click' sounds was done better in the apple ads for their ipad covers.

post #92 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUOp View Post

MS in 2011: ”We won’t do anything in the tablet market unless we can be distinctive,”

So you set out to show how noisy it can be??? I really don't think the snaps and clicks will cover up the sound of the cooling fan.

I wonder if they have the prototypes working well enough to function through a public unveiling yet??

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #93 of 144
Yes, those schoolgirls were out of class, I should say....

Anyhow, see how the tablet perform esp. the software and the keyboard I'm sure there's market for it. I'll stick with my Apple thank you very much.
post #94 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

90% of the market. So what's got them all scared enough to start competing against their own Windows licensees?

How about the nearly total disinterest in Widows 8...?

None of the cows want to come in the barn to "milked" again. 

post #95 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I don't understand the trackpad on it- weird.
But typing on my iPad now..... Sucks. A keyboard cover if it worked well, would be very nice. Not gonna get a surface, but I'd love for apple to do it.

Apple has let that be a third-party supplied product. I think if you got a chance to compare the 3rd-party iPad keyboard quality to the MS Surface accessory keyboard, the Surface keyboard would come out second-best.

Quote:

I knew something else was bothering me about the ad but I couldn't put my finger on it, but that's it. The ad is more about the keyboard than the tablet, or at least the keyboard working with the tablet. Is it even included? I am under the impression the two different kinds are separate accessories, and they didn't let anyone even test them at the demo they had.

The Surface keyboard quality is a total unknown. Even Microsoft hasn't demonstrated its functionality, and like you said, no one has ever been allowed to touch the thing. My understanding is that the keyboard cover will be sold separately, and from this commercial seems to need to be disconnected from the Surface until you are ready to use it, so it may be a battery vampire. 

I will say that Microsoft may regret showing the Surface being thrown about in the commercial... someone will sue them when they drop their Surface and it breaks like a Ming vase.

post #96 of 144

I watched it without sound but I like it. The guy is cute and it sure shows the tablet in different situations.

The idea of putting a keyboard in the cover is pretty smart.

post #97 of 144

When they first announced the Surface, MS made a big deal about pen input. I was surprised to see that they didn't show it here.

I liked the ad (a lot actually), but I agree with others: they seem to have made a big deal of the tech that I suspect they licensed from Apple.

post #98 of 144
That was very uh dubstepish.

Uh oh watch out for the angry school girls stompin like you got served!
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
post #99 of 144
I feel gay just watching the add. Its a subliminal message to make me love penis.
post #100 of 144
Love reading the comments on this Apple fan... I mean, Apple News site.
post #101 of 144
Who did those school girls( no younger than 10 IMHO) suppose to appeal to? Dirty old men in Florida with tera bytes of free hard drive space?
Weird...
post #102 of 144
They kept selling the hinge and keyboard cover during the keynote and now they are doing the same in the TV commercial. I would like to see more of what the tablet does on the software level
post #103 of 144

1) Just like at the MS press conference they don't show anybody actually using the keyboard. Funny that since it's supposed to be so magical and awesome to use. I'm guessing the phrase "barely usable" will be more apt once this is in peoples hands.

2) LOL at 0:13 with the guys sitting on the bench. Notice how they turn the Surface so its like a laptop... except the surface needs the kickstand to stand up so it would not be able to be used in that manner.

3) How many people will just think this is an iPad commercial since they've been seeing iPads with the SmartCover for over a year. GG Microsoft the sales bump for iPads will probably be more than all Surfaces sold.

post #104 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by simtub View Post

They kept selling the hinge and keyboard cover during the keynote and now they are doing the same in the TV commercial. I would like to see more of what the tablet does on the software level
The fact that Microsoft has given so little attention to the software and how the touch cover actually works makes me wonder if this device is ready for prime time. They announced this several months ago and still no one outside of Microsoft has had the opportunity to try it out and report on how well (or not) it works.
post #105 of 144
How to make an advert 101:
Tell us about the product; what is it? How does it make our life more convenient? What are its features and functionality? What is its price point? What are its technical features and specifications?

How to not make an advert 101:
*points to Microsoft video* NOT. THAT.

... at night.

... at night.

post #106 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by beg View Post

1) Just like at the MS press conference they don't show anybody actually using the keyboard. Funny that since it's supposed to be so magical and awesome to use. I'm guessing the phrase "barely usable" will be more apt once this is in peoples hands.

2) LOL at 0:13 with the guys sitting on the bench. Notice how they turn the Surface so its like a laptop... except the surface needs the kickstand to stand up so it would not be able to be used in that manner.

Not to mention that Asus have already announced the Vivo with a REAL keyboard that turns into a REAL laptop. Stylus input as standard too (it actually looks very nice and very impressive)

Even the RT version of the Vivo comes with a keyboard dock.

Yet here comes Microsoft with a magnetic cover with a few lines cut into it in the hope that it will stop people from making mistakes when having a conversation about Banana Nut Muffins.

... at night.

... at night.

post #107 of 144

I am sure M$ blows one billion dollars for advertisement to entice people to buy Surface that is not "working well enough." 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

So you set out to show how noisy it can be??? I really don't think the snaps and clicks will cover up the sound of the cooling fan.

I wonder if they have the prototypes working well enough to function through a public unveiling yet??

post #108 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Please somebody tell me what the hell is a keyboard-cum-cover? I Googled it but still no luck. How someone can propose this as reasonable marketing strategy or brand name choice is beyond idiotic. Ok, I'm imagining a marketing meeting (I've been in plenty) and someones says  "I've got it!" 'Cum Cover' that's the ticket! Didn't any eyes roll back into their heads?

The amazing thing to me is that they made dozens of these tablets for that commercial. I guess they really are serious about getting into manufacturing.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #109 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

First ever foray??
The author of this article needs to do some research I'd say.

Guess they forgot the Xbox
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #110 of 144
That's Daniel Cloud Campos in the 'main character' role...
post #111 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

And despite all those clueless ads.... Microsoft still has 90% of the market.
353 million PCs were sold last year... all toting a Microsoft OS.
Yes... PC sales are declining... it's being reported that only 348 million PCs will be sold this year.
Microsoft is doomed because of bad advertising... right? 1cool.gif

And where are the statistics on how many of those PCs sold each year are replacing Windows systems that are destined for the landfill (or recycling center, etc) compared to Mac systems. I suspect that if there were any statistics for how many of each platform are destroyed each year the installed base of operational systems running Mac OS would be at least 2x if not 3x or 4x larger than the net new sales figures suggest. 

post #112 of 144

You're all missing one important point.

WHO. IS. THIS CUTIE?

post #113 of 144
MS finally released pricing and pre-order on Surface RT. $499 for 32GB without touch cover. $599 for 32GB with touch cover. $699 for 64GB with touch cover. Stans alone Touch cover is $119 and Type cover is $129.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/16/3271243/microsoft-surface-tablet-pricing-availability

Does Surface RT have cellular options or is it wi-fi only?
post #114 of 144
Seriously. Is Apple the only company that shows its products being used?
post #115 of 144
Someone posted this on the Verge which I thought was apt

0wy9A.jpg
post #116 of 144

Much like the MS with the Surface, I'm a day late.  Thumbs up to Suddenly Newton.  One-handed browsing sessions indeed.  1biggrin.gif

Edited by wshuff4 - 10/16/12 at 5:47am
post #117 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Apple has let that be a third-party supplied product. I think if you got a chance to compare the 3rd-party iPad keyboard quality to the MS Surface accessory keyboard, the Surface keyboard would come out second-best.

I've only used one, don't remember the type- it was terrible and felt cheap (and I'm guessing it was cheap). I sure a comparable high-end one might work better than MS- the advantage MS has is that it doesn't have to be Bluetooth, require batteries, etc- so that'll help with weight, thinness, annoyance, etc.
It really is a great concept I wish apple would have done- now, that being said, until some sites can do some hands on reviews- that's all it is- a great concept. But I'll reserve my judgement until then.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #118 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

You're all missing one important point.

WHO. IS. THIS CUTIE?

I loved how by 12 seconds in, she had lost all interest, and actually leaves the area by 23 seconds.  Even she though it was wierd!

post #119 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

And despite all those clueless ads.... Microsoft still has 90% of the market.
353 million PCs were sold last year... all toting a Microsoft OS.
Yes... PC sales are declining... it's being reported that only 348 million PCs will be sold this year.
Microsoft is doomed because of bad advertising... right? 1cool.gif

Yep and only a few years ago Kodak we selling a ton of film. Things can change fast you know.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #120 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I guess it gets the idea across, but for the consumer who isn't really paying attention it will just look like an iPad ad thanks to the Surface's inherent lack of visual distinctiveness.

I was left thinking that the sound they used when the cover cum keyboard was attched was that of the iPad mag cover being attached dubbed over in post editing.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft airs first Surface ad as part of $1B Windows 8 marketing campaign