or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Exclusive: 'iPad mini' part numbers reveal Apple plans 12 configurations in two colors
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Exclusive: 'iPad mini' part numbers reveal Apple plans 12 configurations in two colors

post #1 of 106
Thread Starter 
Apple next week is set to launch a new, smaller iPad in 24 different configurations, suggesting four different storage capacities and two color options, AppleInsider has learned.

SKUs


The full list of presumed "iPad mini" product stock-keeping units, or SKUs, shows a total of 24 varieties. Four different models will be offered ? described as P101, P103, P105 and P107 ? which one person familiar with the inventory said likely signifies four different storage capacities.

The lineup could suggest that Apple plans to introduce an 8-gigabyte model that would serve as an entry-level model for the lower-priced 7.85-inch iPad. Currently, the full-sized iPad does not come with a storage capacity lower than 16 gigabytes.

Each of the four different product descriptions also come with three different distinctions: "GOOD," "BETTER," and "BEST," which could signify Wi-Fi-only, 3G, and 4G LTE models, respectively. Each model is also available in "A" and "B" variants, which likely identify color options of black and white.

One person familiar with Apple's product inventory said the company's initial shipments suggest availability of the presumed entry-level "P101" model will be the greatest at launch. An inventory list that surfaced from a retailer last weekend suggested an entry-level 8-gigabyte model could cost around $249.

iPad mini Rendering
"iPad mini" rendering by Martin Hajek


The person also added that Apple is rumored to begin selling new iMac desktops on Oct. 24, one day after the anticipated Oct. 23 event. In addition to the iPad mini, Apple is also expected to unveil a new 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display, but no timeframe on its availability was given.

Apple is expected to officially announce its Oct. 23 media event this afternoon. AppleInsider will have full coverage.
post #2 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is expected to officially announce its Oct. 23 media event this afternoon. AppleInsider will have full coverage.

 

Full coverage of an email?  Wha?

post #3 of 106

I'll take 2.

post #4 of 106

I like it.  They are covering there butt in case it oversell the regular one. With 2 full sets of ipads at 2 different sizes they giving users a lot more choices.

post #5 of 106
I'd think Good, Better, Best refers to storage capacity not to wireless connectivity.

Is there are just two colors and 3 different capacities that leaves two types within each capacity. That seems to point to a WiFi and 4G LTE variety for two base carriers configurations. 2 carriers x 2 wireless types x 3 capacities x 2 colors = 24 SKUs.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #6 of 106
Apple really should avoid releasing an 8gb model just to reach a lower price-point (unless it's solely for the EDU market) as such a paltry capacity on an iOS device leaves very little room for anything.

Other 'mobile OS' devices can often get away with such a small capacity as their apps tend to be (much) smaller in size than iOS offerings, but with a mere 7.25 or so user accessible storage on an 8gb iOS device, users will likely quickly become frustrated with running out of space, with no option for exspansion.

We'll See...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #7 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd think Good, Better, Best refers to storage capacity not to wireless connectivity.
Is there are just two colors and 3 different capacities that leaves two types within each capacity. That seems to point to a WiFi and 4G LTE variety for two base carriers configurations. 2 carriers x 2 wireless types x 3 capacities x 2 colors = 24 SKUs.
So would this indicate 16, 32 and 64 GB models?
post #8 of 106
It's all good.

Just as an aside comment ... Black and white are not 'colors'. /pedantic
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #9 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Its all good.
Just as an aside comment ... Black and white are not 'colors'. /pedantic

LOL

post #10 of 106

If Steve Jobs was still with us,

These would have been coded as

 

Great, Greater, Greatest
 

post #11 of 106

This is the same nonsense that got Apple into trouble in the 90s under Spindler. The product line becomes too diversified and confusing. Jobs first thing back was to simplify

the product line. You do not need all these variants of the ipad mini.
 

post #12 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

LOL

And my damned iPad removed the apostrophe on 'it's' leaving me hanging out there! lol
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #13 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd think Good, Better, Best refers to storage capacity not to wireless connectivity.
Is there are just two colors and 3 different capacities that leaves two types within each capacity. That seems to point to a WiFi and 4G LTE variety for two base carriers configurations. 2 carriers x 2 wireless types x 3 capacities x 2 colors = 24 SKUs.

what do you mean by 2 carriers?

post #14 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post

This is the same nonsense that got Apple into trouble in the 90s under Spindler. The product line becomes too diversified and confusing. Jobs first thing back was to simplify
the product line. You do not need all these variants of the ipad mini.

 

Ok, how do you simplify ... Two colors, cellular or not and three memory options? Seems pretty simple to me.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #15 of 106

You know I gave Rogifan some shit over the absolute requirement that the mini had to have retina...but I didn't expect 24 SKUs.  That allows for both a $250 8GB non-retina iPad Mini as well as a top of the line, in your face Google, retina iPad Mini where price is of secondary concern.

post #16 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd think Good, Better, Best refers to storage capacity not to wireless connectivity.
Is there are just two colors and 3 different capacities that leaves two types within each capacity. That seems to point to a WiFi and 4G LTE variety for two base carriers configurations. 2 carriers x 2 wireless types x 3 capacities x 2 colors = 24 SKUs.

But but the carriers only are options on cellular not wifi only ....
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #17 of 106
Why not colors like with the iPods? I'd be moved to buy one if it had color options, but as is I'll stick with my iPad 2.

This is still a rumor, right? I forget as I scan through the headlines here. 1oyvey.gif
post #18 of 106

Does anyone know how to work out that IF this iPad was really released, and at the current rumored screen size with a Retina display the same resolution as the 9.7" iPad. Then what would the pixel density (PPI) be?

I sure hope it's not a 1024 x 786. Most smartphones are higher res than this now.

 

post #19 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

You know I gave Rogifan some shit over the absolute requirement that the mini had to have retina...but I didn't expect 24 SKUs.  That allows for both a $250 8GB non-retina iPad Mini as well as a top of the line, in your face Google, retina iPad Mini where price is of secondary concern.
You'll have to give me some more shit then because I think 8GB is a big FAIL. It does not take long at all to fill Up 8GB. Should be 16, 32, 64 in black and white and then 3G or LTE options.
post #20 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Does anyone know how to work out that IF this iPad was really released, and at the current rumored screen size with a Retina display the same resolution as the 9.7" iPad. Then what would the pixel density (PPI) be?


I sure hope it's not a 1024 x 786. Most smartphones are higher res than this now.


 
Well to some here 8GB wi-fi only with 1024 x 786 display at $250 or $299 is a good deal. 1oyvey.gif

Of course all the MS fanboys are now claiming display doesn't matter on 10" device (since Surface RT display is inferior to iPad). 1wink.gif
post #21 of 106

unless they are releasing a full size "Newer" iPad as well.

 

Good, better best = 8,16,32 (or 16, 32, 64 for the larger iPad).

 

A/B refers to Black/White.

 

101/103 = WiFi only / 4G+ (mini)

105/107 = WiFi only / 4G+ (New-er iPad).

post #22 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

what do you mean by 2 carriers?

GSM+UMTS+LTE(bands a, b, c, d, e)

Verizon(CDMA+CDMA2000)+GSM+UMTS+LTE (bands v, w, x, y, z)

That's what I mean by carrier types, just like with the iPhone 5, sans Sprint, if we're only talking to cellular SKU categories.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #23 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Does anyone know how to work out that IF this iPad was really released, and at the current rumored screen size with a Retina display the same resolution as the 9.7" iPad. Then what would the pixel density (PPI) be?

I sure hope it's not a 1024 x 786. Most smartphones are higher res than this now.

There's little reason to doubt that the 'iPad Mini' will be 1024x768, which is quite sufficient for its given screen dimensions... Too many have become far too hung up on this ever-increasing pixel-density nonsense.

The thing I'm interested in seeing is how they'll handle the fact that a smaller device running exactly the same version of iOS is going to make every 'touch element' e.g. button, selection box, etc. much smaller, which stands in opposition to those who've long claimed that every aspect of iOS has been so perfectly sized/designed for the given device and any kind of scaling is completely unacceptable.

We'll See...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #24 of 106

The Pxxx probably doesn't mean size.  Why would you have 3 8GB SKUs?  Do you really think they are going to have 8GB WiFI, LTE/GSM, LTE/CDMA models?  Maybe.

 

Looking at the iPad the model numbers are

 

MD366LL/A = 16GB Black

MD367LL/A = 32GB Black

MD368LL/A = 64GB Black

 

So for the P101 the three models might be:

 

MD510X/A = 8GB

MD511X/A = 16GB

MD512X/A = 32GB

 

For the radio options there is Wifi, CDMA/LTE and GSM/LTE.  On the iPad these were A1416, A1430 and A1403.

 

P101 and P103 have GOOD BTR, BETTER BTR, BEST BTR

P105 and P107 have GOOD, BETTER, BEST

 

Interesting.

post #25 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

There's little reason to doubt that the 'iPad Mini' will be 1024x768, which is quite sufficient for its given screen dimensions... Too many have become far too hung up on this ever-increasing pixel-density nonsense.

It's must be a cold day in hell because I'm agreeing with you.
Quote:
The thing I'm interested in seeing is how they'll handle the fact that a smaller device running exactly the same version of iOS is going to make every 'touch element' e.g. button, selection box, etc. much smaller, which stands in opposition to those who've long claimed that every aspect of iOS has been so perfectly sized/designed for the given device and any kind of scaling is completely unacceptable.
We'll See...

Not an issue if you look at the dimensions of elements between the iPad and iPhone UIs. The 7.85" rumour, whether it's real or not, is devised because it fits so well into Apple's wheelhouse in every way. Now they will idealize the UI for the new device and will update Xcode accordingly but it won't be a huge deal for apps that aren't yet updated. Look at the iPhone 4 over the 3GS as an example. They idealized that UI even though the dimensions stayed exactly the same. They even changed the system font to better showcase the text on the Retina display. This is how Apple historically works and I doubt they'll be changing their stripes now.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #26 of 106
@daharder Why would Apple not release an 8GB capacity? No consumer is forced to buy that if it doesn't suit their needs. It's smart because as you said they can reach a particular market or a consumer that has few needs for large amount of space.
post #27 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Why not colors like with the iPods? I'd be moved to buy one if it had color options, but as is I'll stick with my iPad 2.
This is still a rumor, right? I forget as I scan through the headlines here. 1oyvey.gif

 

Mmmm...colors sound good...but have there been less than 5?  I suppose the minimal is black, white and product red.

post #28 of 106

'two colors' ppfffttt!  Black and White...  Two colors my a....

/

/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #29 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


You'll have to give me some more shit then because I think 8GB is a big FAIL. It does not take long at all to fill Up 8GB. Should be 16, 32, 64 in black and white and then 3G or LTE options.

 

You really are a glass half empty kinda person aren't you?  Don't like it, don't buy it.  There are plenty of folks that for some reason never fill up their iOS devices and for them 8GB is fine.

post #30 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


There's little reason to doubt that the 'iPad Mini' will be 1024x768, which is quite sufficient for its given screen dimensions... Too many have become far too hung up on this ever-increasing pixel-density nonsense.
The thing I'm interested in seeing is how they'll handle the fact that a smaller device running exactly the same version of iOS is going to make every 'touch element' e.g. button, selection box, etc. much smaller, which stands in opposition to those who've long claimed that every aspect of iOS has been so perfectly sized/designed for the given device and any kind of scaling is completely unacceptable.
We'll See...

 

 

its still going to be bigger than on my iphone 4s and I can tap those icons and buttons at that size.  Not a problem imo, they dont even need to scale anything up.

post #31 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's must be a cold day in hell because I'm agreeing with you.

 

A retina iPad Mini would sell well and has the same advantages as a retina iPhone.  It's probably more important given that the iPad Mini is larger and you're more likely to read or watch movies on it than the iPhone.

 

Plus Infinity Blade 2 will look damn pretty on it.  

 

I'd pay extra for retina but I can see why a bunch of folks wouldn't since the 1024x768 resolution is still better on the Mini than on the iPad 2 which is already pretty nice.

post #32 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Apple really should avoid releasing an 8gb model just to reach a lower price-point (unless it's solely for the EDU market) as such a paltry capacity on an iOS device leaves very little room for anything.

I echo Solip - it must indeed be a cold day in hell because I completely agree with DH. 8gb is purely for the price point. I expect Apple will release very few 8gb units. Even educational institutions will fork out the extra cash to safeguard their investment against instant obsolescence.

post #33 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It's all good.
Just as an aside comment ... Black and white are not 'colors'. /pedantic

 

You sure about that? 

 

http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-design/are-black-and-white-colors

post #34 of 106

I wonder if the Macs will be the focus of the event, and then the iPad Mini will be "one more thing?"

post #35 of 106

This's just too much. Just 16 GB. Wi-Fi models in White and Black will do. Other than this you already have regular iPad to choose for.

post #36 of 106
How about:

P codes are- WiFi only, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint
good, better, best are storage (16, 32, 64?)

can't think what the "btr" is after the P101 and P103 codes

This is then different than the SKU codes listed from the German site, but European models might only have WiFi and standard UMTS 3G radios.

Why European models would have 4 storage options and U.S. models only 3 I can't guess.
post #37 of 106

So much speculation with no official announcement. What will Apple stock do if nothing happens?

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Reply

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Reply
post #38 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


You'll have to give me some more shit then because I think 8GB is a big FAIL. It does not take long at all to fill Up 8GB. Should be 16, 32, 64 in black and white and then 3G or LTE options.

I think you are wrong here.  It's a FAIL only to people like us who follow tech news and use the devices a lot.  

 

For a data point: My last two iPads were 32GB but in fact 20GB of that is just media from a single application that I only access once a month or so. All the rest of my stuff would actually just fit on an 8GB iPad.  The thing is too, that my primary use of the iPad is for writing and I keep a copy of almost every (serious) thing I've ever written on it as well as lots and lots of research material in the form of books and PDF's.  All of that still fits in 8GB.  

 

The larger size iPads are mostly for media and games, for someone actually using the device as a computer (laptop-like uses) there isn't a need for a great amount of space.  

 

The other thing you aren't considering is schools.  They've already said that the event will focus on kids, books, and education.  The $250 iPad mini is perfect for that use.  

 

The current cost on the bulk-buy program for iPads in Education is roughly $400 a seat/unit.  This will turn it into more like $200 a unit.

 

That's why they are making more of the 8GB ones than any other model and that's why it will be a roaring success.  Because schools all over the world are waiting to click the "buy" button on tens of thousands of iPads to be used as textbooks in schools.  Because the entire iPad including the cost of the digital texts just got down into the same pricing territory as the cloth and paper textbooks they are currently using.  

post #39 of 106

Good = WiFi

Better = 3G/LTE

Best = 3G/LTE/Retina

Why they would make a 8GB with retina I don't know.

 

All I do know is I want 64GB LTE Retina Black

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #40 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I wonder if the Macs will be the focus of the event, and then the iPad Mini will be "one more thing?"

 

You mean the event that was supposed to happen this week with invites that were supposed to go out last week?

 

Or the unannounced event next week with the invites that haven't gone out this week?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

This's just too much. Just 16 GB. Wi-Fi models in White and Black will do. Other than this you already have regular iPad to choose for.

 

I agree- that's all there needs to be- a 32gb would be good too just for some diversity.  But I still don't think any of it is happening this year.  Still not a shred of evidence (by evidence- see actual iPhone 5 parts weeks and weeks before it was announced- not just code, prototypes not made by apple, and a debunked ribbon).

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Exclusive: 'iPad mini' part numbers reveal Apple plans 12 configurations in two colors
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Exclusive: 'iPad mini' part numbers reveal Apple plans 12 configurations in two colors