or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Chinese manufacturing used as talking point in presidential debate

Apple's Chinese manufacturing used as talking point in presidential debate - Page 2

post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Why is china devalue currency "cheating?" It is a price China pays with inflation and future problems. If the US don't like the cheap goods from China, don't buy them. If we think they are bing unfair, tax the imports. Every government choose to do what it does for itself. Blame other people is stupid.

Well, that's not technically correct - considering that the US too has been artificially devaluing the currency for a while (US dollar index was 120 in 2000, now it's 78).  But it's politically much convenient to blame foreigners, immigrants or other marginalized groups for all their economic/social ills.

post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

At least start with the truth... the GOP does want to invest in the military, but they also want to invest more in education, as several people, including Romney has said.

However, Paul Ryan's budget earmarks 33% LESS money for education.  OOPS! 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/08/12/what-paul-ryans-budget-actually-cuts-and-by-how-much/

Not to mention everything else it would cut:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/08/29/everything-you-know-about-paul-ryans-budget-is-probably-wrong/

post #43 of 51
I'm a big proponent of buying American though Steve Jobs was right, some jobs probably are not going to come back at this point. I can't say forever, though for the forseeable future.

Lately I have been trying to buy whatever I can American though mostly clothes and soon housewares.

I would love for my Mac mini to be made by American workers from aluminum in America (or whatever raw materials are used) though also Intel, Samsung, Hynix, nVidia, and AMD might not have their parts made in the USA. If it's going to be American made, it should be 100% from the materials to the labor or not at all.
post #44 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

This thread is going to be retarded...
Sorry to the liberals for saying retarded.
And sorry to the conservatives for apologizing for saying retarded.

Thanks for making me laugh today...

And sorry to all the tards who are offended by an independent voter laughing at them.

Douche bag vs Turd Sandwich.    

post #45 of 51
Apple is not alone in this. All the big corporations put profits before a social conscience. So the corporations make more money for the investors, the banks and the top 3% (like they need any more money!) Meanwhile there are not enough jobs at home.

All these businesses could afford to make less profit. So the rich get richer and the rest get poorer. Yep I know that's capitalism but how long will it last before the masses revolt.
post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Governor Romney was first to answer, saying that America is not at fault, but China's "cheating" in major industry is.
"We can compete with anyone in the world as long as the playing field is level," Governor Romney said, adding, "China's been cheating over the years."
He went on to explain that China has devalued their currency, hacked computers and stolen intellectual property. On the last issue, the Massachusetts governor pointed to the counterfeit "Apple Stoers (sic)" discovered last year in Kunming, China.

Why the U.S. government allows China to "cheat" over the years?  Why US hasn't imposed sanctions against China?  The current problem was created by the U.S. government and all the big companies are happy to play along because they're in for the profit.

post #47 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisMark View Post

You do realize that China still has that "1 child per family" law, right?

I thought it was 2.6
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #48 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

This thread is going to be retarded...
Sorry to the liberals for saying retarded.
And sorry to the conservatives for apologizing for saying retarded.

Best comment ever.

post #49 of 51

The minimum wage in the USA mandated by government is $7.25/hr.   Or about $1160/mo.   The average Foxconn worker is reported to make $400 to $450 a month.   That pretty much captures the key issue.

Everyone seems to ignore that the high salary jobs designing and engineering the hardware and software is done here in America, and the Apple designed CPU/SoC Ax are manufactured in the USA.

post #50 of 51
Tim Cooks interview at AllThingsD this year he mentioned that the use of American labor would add $50 to $100 to their products. But something more important he said stuck with me. China has, from what I've read, about 700,000 tool and die makers, many being used in Apples' Chinese supply chain, equivalent to filling many large cities. I checked the BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics), and their numbers indicate the US has only about 70,000 total, as of the May 2011 report.

That is, the US has one tenth the number of these highly skilled artisans than Apple might alone require. And these numbers do not include the labor to perform the assembly after all the components are available. Tim Cook mentioned that the tool and die making sector in the US has been decreasing since the 1960's. We are 2 1/2 generations into this decline and any idea that this highly educated labor force could be reconstituted within the lifetime of any current living American is highly improbable.

Apple simply cannot bring the manufacturing back into the US. That's a pipe dream. And neither could any other manufacturer. Neither the President nor Romney understand or they are not leveling with the American people how in deep sh!t the US is. General encouragement that we need to emphasize STEM education (a prerequisite to just the tool and die making industry alone) is not enough.

A nation where 50% are anti-science, and 95% are scientifically illiterate, is not a country that could ever compete in this era. Fundamentally, the US economy is based on making money, not stuff. Making stuff requires math, science and engineering. Making money only requires fooling enough of the people enough of the time; promises are easy to make, stuff is not.
Edited by waldobushman - 10/18/12 at 6:01am
post #51 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Invest heavily in robotic technologies. That's the only way manufacturing in the US will become feasible.

LOL.  that's so logically fallacious,

that's precisely why the US manufacturing output has been going up, while the number employed manufacturing going down.   

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Chinese manufacturing used as talking point in presidential debate