or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Every five 'iPad mini' sales projected to cannibalize one full-size iPad

Every five 'iPad mini' sales projected to cannibalize one full-size iPad - Page 3

post #81 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd buy a 15" iPad. I figure the 15" and maybe a 13" would have OS XI instead of iOS, though.

OS XI? What's that? ;)

iPad means iOS. If it's running OS X.xx, then it's a Mac. So this larger tablet might be the called a Mac Touch or Mac Pad…? Looking at my 15" MBP and trying to imagine carrying around just the lid (the screen side of the clamshell)… it's huge. NOt something I'd be inclined to carry around under my arm, like I do with my current iPad. I'd worry about it literally "folding" inside my bag. It would need to be a lot thicker just to give it strength enough not to bend and warp… or, we're going to need "flexible displays". I don't think it's realistic yet. A 13" maybe. 15"? A bit large for a stand-alone portable 'touch slab', I think.
post #82 of 83
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post
iPad means iOS.

Not when laptops are no longer being sold, it doesn't.

If it's running OS X.xx, then it's a Mac.

Not when the entire UX has changed and we've moved to a third personal computer revolution, it doesn't. Unless you're being really specific here and claiming Macs = OS X, which doesn't preclude what I've said. 😏

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #83 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not when laptops are no longer being sold, it doesn't.

Not when the entire UX has changed and we've moved to a third personal computer revolution, it doesn't. Unless you're being really specific here and claiming Macs = OS X, which doesn't preclude what I've said. 😏

I think we're probably agreeing in principle, and alluding to the same things. I mentioned a 'future hybrid' OS earlier in the thread… I think eventually Apple may consolidate iOS and OSX into a single environment… especially as the system-on-a-chip and storage get smaller, more powerful, lower energy… there will come a time in the not-too-distant future when the CPU inside an iPad-sized tablet can handle anything today's desktops can… by then, 256GB or more of storage is easy to imagine… and at that point there's no reason to think of the tablet's capabilities s 'sub-desktop', right?

Still, I think it will be a long time before the laptop as we know it goes away. The clamshell form factor just works ergonomically... Although, if the integrated "removable keyboard" concept on the new Surface proves to be a hit, it could hasten some new design evolution…  I think that's probably a marginal possibility though. I have a bluetooth keyboard for my iPad, and it just isn't the same as using the one on my laptop. There's a desirable convenience to the all-in-one physical/analog keyboard-screen combination… It's possible the Surface takes the right approach. Connected/integrated AND removable.

Now, if you could also fold it into a stand like Apple's Smart Cover… that'd be even more useful… ;)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Every five 'iPad mini' sales projected to cannibalize one full-size iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Every five 'iPad mini' sales projected to cannibalize one full-size iPad