or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Purported 'iPad mini' display has same aspect ratio as full-size iPad

Purported 'iPad mini' display has same aspect ratio as full-size iPad

post #1 of 39
New photos claiming to show a display panel for Apple's so-called "iPad mini," with an aspect ratio identical to the screen on Apple's traditional iPad.

Mini parts

Pictures of the component were published on Wednesday by ETrade Supply (via Nowhereelse.fr). The display panel measures nearly 8 inches across diagonally, and is 162 millimeters long, 124 millimeters wide.

While the resolution of the screen cannot be determined from the component, earlier rumors had suggested the display will be 1,024 by 768 pixels. That's the same resolution as the iPad 2, which would allow applications designed for the iPad to run natively on the iPad mini without modification.

Mini parts

Some recent iPad mini mockups had prompted speculation that the device could have a 16-to-9 ratio closer to that of the newly released iPhone 5. But the panel pictured on Wednesday has a 4-to-3 aspect ratio, matching that of the 9.7-inch iPad.

iPad mini mockups may appear to have a slightly longer display because they show a device with a thinner bezel to the left and right of the screen when held in portrait mode. It's expected that Apple's new iPad will have a thinner bezel to allow it to be held more easily with one hand.

Also included among the pictures is a battery claimed to be from Apple's iPad mini. The model number listed is "A1445," and it's rated as 3.72V, 16.7Whr, and 4490mAh.

Mini parts

The latest battery picture is joined by a previous leak that surfaced over the weekend, showing the same 16.7 watt-hour battery. The purported iPad mini part suggests Apple's battery will offer more energy than the cells found in Google's Nexus 7 and Amazon's Kindle Fire HD.

Apple is set to hold an event next Tuesday, Oct. 23, where it is expected to unveil the iPad mini. Invitations sent to members of the press this week promised that the company has "a little more to show you."
post #2 of 39

In other news, Purported iPad mini expected to run iOS. But seriously, I would assume that the "mini" would take design cues from the original rather than be a leader in aspect ratio changes.

post #3 of 39

Hmm. Other than the lack of legit serial numbers and information on the sticker, I buy it. The sticker is Apple-style.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #4 of 39

That makes sense. Of course it's the same aspect ratio as the full sized iPad!

Unlike Android tablets, iPads are made to be used both in portrait and in landscape.

16:9 on a tablet is not very useful for many purposes.

post #5 of 39
Not to mention it's just bad taste to use 16:9 in a tablet. Bad geometrical taste.

It's ok for a phone, of course, because that's a pants-pocket device that you thumb-type on.1wink.gif
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
Unlike Android tablets, iPads are made to be used both in portrait and in landscape.

If Apple is primarily targeting it as an e-reader based on the rumored "books" centric focus, I would agree.

However, Steve Jobs said a 7" tablet isn't useful for very many purposes unless you have sandpaper to file down your fingertips.

Apple has gone to 16:9 on both the iPhone 5 and iPod Touch. Further, they force portrait mode in a number of apps where I would much prefer landscape. And those devices aspect ratio works great for movies and games (arguably the primary market for a 7" tablet), as well as books. Reading a book on a 16:9 screen is much more efficient as I get much more text at a smaller screen size than I did before -- which translates to fewer page turns and more enjoyment reading.

Personally, thinking of the mini-tablet as a large iPod Touch makes more sense to me (and it strikes me that there's more of a market for that), than a mini-iPad, where Steve Jobs was probably absolutely right, it's just too small to be productive with office apps like pages and numbers, and even graphic apps like iMovie, garage band, and iPhoto. I see this as targeted primarily toward kids who can't afford an iPad, or can't get an iPhone, and right now have to choose between the far more limited Touch, or an Android device. While I haven't seen Apple's internal numbers for the Touch, it seems like a device that is fast being orphaned from Apple's ecosystem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 
It's expected that Apple's new iPad will have a thinner bezel to allow it to be held more easily with one hand.
I still don't fully understand this. So, Apple expects people to cup it in their palms like an iPhone, wrapping their fingers and thumb around the edges? Great for most adults, but not so much for kids and those with smaller hands (for whom this mini may be targeted). But the thinner bezel does not allow it to be easily held with one hand the way and iPad can be held using the thumb for leverage on the bezel. Even in the mockups, it was impossible to hold the empty props with one hand this way without the thumb coming in contact with the screen, and the mini will presumably have a bit more heft. I suppose its possible Apple may have come up with some new accidental input algorithms that cancel out a thumb on the edge when a finger presses elsewhere. On the other hand, it makes the mini look identical to the Nexus 7 tablet, which may cause confusion in the market place, among other problems.
Edited by Mac_128 - 10/17/12 at 8:31am
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm. Other than the lack of legit serial numbers and information on the sticker, I buy it. The sticker is Apple-style.

It seems to have been pictured sitting on a blue smart cover though, the dimensions of which suggests this may be in fact the iPad Pico for use as a wrist watch.

I think these dimensions are a good choice - 8" at 1024 x 768, 4:3. It does mean that iPhone 5 apps at 1136 won't scale exactly to fit unless they run it at 1136 x 852 but if they did that, iPad apps would have to scale so it's probably best keeping the divide between the phones and the tablets and just let developers tackle each separately.
post #8 of 39

iPad 2 resolution, iPad 3 resoltion or new retina resolution?

I hope it's a new one :)

post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

In other news, Purported iPad mini expected to run iOS. But seriously, I would assume that the "mini" would take design cues from the original rather than be a leader in aspect ratio changes.

Agreed, it would only be news if it weren't the same ....
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

However, Steve Jobs said a 7" tablet isn't useful for very many purposes unless you have sandpaper to file down your fingertips.

Enough with this.... couldn't even finish your post because this is so annoying it derailed me.

He said it to sell a 9.7" iPad- that's it.  Period.  End of discussion.  What's he supposed to say?  7" tablets are good, but 9.7" is better?  Seriously... 

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #11 of 39
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
He said it to sell a 9.7" iPad- that's it.  Period.  End of discussion.

Shame you're so completely wrong about that.

post #12 of 39

If you can use a nano, you can use something bigger than a nano.

post #13 of 39
Quote:

Steve Jobs said a 7" tablet isn't useful for very many purposes unless you have sandpaper to file down your fingertips.

Totally with Andysol, here. We have to let go of this crapola. Steve said a lot of things but nothing he ever said was intended to be set in stone. If it was Apple would be nowhere. At the time he was selling the iPad which came in one size only, and most things Steve Jobs ever said was heavily influenced by his 'inner salesman'. I don't think he ever lied, per se, but he knew how to focus your attention. Since then the world has changed and now Apple is bringing out a smaller iPad. Remember that at the time the Apple was selling millions of the much smaller iPhone, which turned out to be quite useful in spite of the much smaller screen.

post #14 of 39

Am I the only one that also wants a 15"+ iPad to be made?

post #15 of 39
Originally Posted by paxman View Post
Totally with Andysol, here. We have to let go of this crapola.

But what he said is wrong.

Originally Posted by MusicComposer View Post

I would buy a 15" iPad in a heartbeat. It could be three pounds and I'd still buy it, but I don't figure they'll make one until they can get it under 2 pounds.

post #16 of 39
Quote:

Totally with Andysol, here. We have to let go of this crapola. Steve said a lot of things but nothing he ever said was intended to be set in stone. If it was Apple would be nowhere. At the time he was selling the iPad which came in one size only, and most things Steve Jobs ever said was heavily influenced by his 'inner salesman'. I don't think he ever lied, per se, but he knew how to focus your attention. Since then the world has changed and now Apple is bringing out a smaller iPad. Remember that at the time the Apple was selling millions of the much smaller iPhone, which turned out to be quite useful in spite of the much smaller screen.

Steve also told his people to think for themselves, not ask WWSJD.

His biography made it clear that he was quick to realize when he was wrong, and that this was a strength of his. The trolls on this forum are hoping to turn this into some kind of issue. Changing his mind wasn't a problem for Steve, but it seems to be a problem for some people on this forum.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicComposer View Post

Heck I have been predicting a 30" one day, albeit designed to use on a desk top or stand (almost horizontal of course) not exactly ultra portable. lol Imagine Garage Band 2014... drool.
post #18 of 39
Quote:

Agreed, everything has a time and place, plus SJ was quite capable of misdirection when required too.

I'm still half expecting a Dick Tracy nano iPhone one day.
post #19 of 39
I anyone surprised?

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #20 of 39

Missing from the AI story but reported by the original source, the display is said to be supplied by LG.

melior diabolus quem scies
post #21 of 39
Quote:

You are not alone.  Bigger is gooder.  I have no interest in the iPad as it exists now -- for what I do a laptop is still the best tool for the job -- but I would be interested in a big one.  Especially if Adobe made a version of Illustrator for it, and someone offered a pen option!

post #22 of 39
Quote:

I doubt Apple will ever make a larger tablet but if the do, it will be the iPad (graphics) Pro and it will compete with the lovely (OSX/Win accessory) Wacom Cintiq HD. I have my doubts whether Apple is interested in the Pro niche, though. The top of the line Cintiq Touch costs in excess of 3.5 grand (and it's not a stand alone tablet with its own OS)

post #23 of 39
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post
lol Imagine Garage Band 2014... drool.

I actually created GarageBand for the iPad before the iPad even existed. Not an application, but as a GUI mockup. 

When the rumors of an Apple tablet came to a head, I decided to go through and do what I figured would become OS XI. GarageBand was one of the applications I redid for touch, and I nailed it. Keyboards and fretboards for various instruments at the bottom and everything. 

post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

You are not alone.  Bigger is gooder.  I have no interest in the iPad as it exists now -- for what I do a laptop is still the best tool for the job -- but I would be interested in a big one.  Especially if Adobe made a version of Illustrator for it, and someone offered a pen option!

I would only be interested in a bigger iPad if you could actually draw on it (with a proper stylus).  If it had that, then the bigger the better, but otherwise there isn't any point to anything bigger than the current model.  

post #25 of 39
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
I would only be interested in a bigger iPad if you could actually draw on it (with a proper stylus).  If it had that, then the bigger the better, but otherwise there isn't any point to anything bigger than the current model.  

You can do that with an iPad now. 

post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Yes, as in the Cintiq (above)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can do that with an iPad now. 

Yeah, but not really.

post #27 of 39
Yeah, but not really.

It's an on/off question. It either supports it or it doesn't. You can certainly use one. As touchscreen tech advances, using one will be better in more situations, is all.

post #28 of 39
Quote:

Dimensions for a 7" 16:9 and a 7.85" 4:3 screen.

16:9 7" - 6.10 * 3.43 = 20.923 sq in
4:3 7.85" - 6.28 * 4.71 = 29.5788 sq in

41.37% increase

Over 40% more surface area.  Even if Steve meant exactly what he said, his opinion of 7" widescreen being a poor choice would not be relevant against something that had 40%+ more screen real estate.  I've pointed this out on several threads about this topic.

post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's an on/off question. It either supports it or it doesn't. You can certainly use one. As touchscreen tech advances, using one will be better in more situations, is all.

Yes, there are usable styluses (styli?) that can be used on an iPad, and I know many artist do amazing things with one finger, but you'd have a hard time convincing many graphic artists or animators a finger or iPad type stylus is adequate.

Bottom line - a larger iPad would a professional tool and as such would need the specs to satisfy its target user.

post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

41.37% increase

Over 40% more surface area.  Even if Steve meant exactly what he said, his opinion of 7" widescreen being a poor choice would not be relevant against something that had 40%+ more screen real estate.  I've pointed this out on several threads about this topic.

Good point, and also, now, we have screens with much higher resolution than we did at the time the statement was made.

I also highlighted in this post how often Steve Jobs changed his public stance on a topic: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/153072/purported-ipad-mini-parts-show-front-back-panels-lcd-nano-sim-tray/80#post_2203618

There is also a good article here: Shockingly, Steve Jobs wasn't against the idea of an iPad mini... : http://www.imore.com/shockingly-steve-jobs-wasnt-against-idea-ipad-mini

post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Steve also told his people to think for themselves, not ask WWSJD.
His biography made it clear that he was quick to realize when he was wrong, and that this was a strength of his. The trolls on this forum are hoping to turn this into some kind of issue. Changing his mind wasn't a problem for Steve, but it seems to be a problem for some people on this forum.
Jobs also said a lot of things for a reason. Should I also assume Apple will be adding Flash support to the mini iPad too?

Here's the deal ... We have no idea if Jobs changed his mind on this matter before he died. Apple executives were indeed publicly encouraged to think for themselves. But what Jobs said on any given day can't simply be dismissed as "salesmanship" or chalked up to his reality distortion field to support a particular pundits position simply because Jobs was officially documented to have changed his mind on occasion. Much of what Apple is today is the direct result from Jobs guiding principles, right or wrong. And yes he's been known to change his mind. The point of dredging up Jobs statement about 7" tablets has more to do with guiding principles. This wasn't just Jobs opinion, it was the stated result of considerable experimentation and study by Apple. It's bigger than Jobs, and as if to hammer it home, Jobs made as big an issue out of it as he did Flash. He wasn't wrong about Flash, and I seriously doubt he would have, nor Apple will change their opinions about that, anymore than they will kiss and make up with Google. Likewise with the tablet.

Now that doesn't mean Apple can't make a 7" tablet, but it won't just be a scaled down iPad to compete with Google on their terms. It will be something that adheres not just to Jobs opinion, but to the studies that led to Jobs being able to make such a definitive statement, and to the underlying principles of Apple -- Jobs said many times that Apple wasn't interested in catering to the lowest common denominator unless they could do something significant in that space. Now that's not just an opinion of Jobs, but a corporate philosophy. I don't suggest Apple can't change its mind in that regard, but that's not the governing principles Apple has been traditionally based on, nor the actions investors or consumers have come to expect. So let's say that Apple starts making decisions that are the opposite of Jobs last statuted position on the subject ... They aren't just always reversing his opinion (which "he might have eventually done anyway"), they would be in some cases reversing ideologies that help make Apple what is today. And if that happens, what is Apple then, but just another electronics company.
Edited by Mac_128 - 10/17/12 at 1:45pm
post #32 of 39
Quote:

Yes, there are usable styluses (styli?) that can be used on an iPad, and I know many artist do amazing things with one finger, but you'd have a hard time convincing many graphic artists or animators a finger or iPad type stylus is adequate.
Bottom line - a larger iPad would a professional tool and as such would need the specs to satisfy its target user.

Which means that if Apple ever wanted to produce a pro tablet with a pressure sensitive stylis, they would have to either:
a) license the tech from Wacom, or...
b) buy Wacom outright... which... at the moment would cost ~ $1B. Apple could hand over the Samsung judgement and call it even 1biggrin.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

41.37% increase

but his comment was false in the face of people using several tens of millions of 3.5" devices quite happily.  The size of the device is irrelevant compared to how the realestate is used.

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #34 of 39

The headline should say resolution not aspect ratio.  There is a big difference.

The same aspect ratio but a different resolution would require developers to develop and test test against yet another form factor (iPhone classic, iPhone 4/retina, iPhone 5/tall, iPad classic, iPad/retina, iPad mini).  That would suck for developers.  Some stuff is automatic, some isn't.  If nothing else developers would have to provide new full-screen images for theirs.  Not a deal-breaker, but annoying (as we all found out as part of the iPhone 5 roll-out).

On the other hand, the same resolution makes this easy for developers (no work at all), but potentially introduce some usability issues for users.  A touch-based user interface designed for a 10" screen doesn't necessarily work perfectly for a 7" screen (hence, Jobs' sharpening your fingertips comment).  Everything will be just a little bit smaller, so things that were on the margin of "big enough to easily tap" might fall below that threshhold.

I expect/hope that Apple goes with the same resolution (as the article suggests).  But I wouldn't be utterly surprised if they do something else.

post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153481/purported-ipad-mini-display-has-same-aspect-ratio-as-full-size-ipad#post_2213461"]That makes sense. Of course it's the same aspect ratio as the full sized iPad!

All tablets can easily switch between portrait and landscape¡ It's especially easy on the MS Surface. All you have to do is exit Metro UI to the standard Windows UI, hover the mouse in the lower-lefthand corner to bring up the screen button to access Start, open Control Panel, open Appearance, open open Display Settings, click on Change Display Settings, Change the Orientation, hit Apply, wait several seconds and hope that the 50/50 guess was the right way because it has no sensor to tell what orientation it's currently in. It couldn't be easier¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

All tablets can easily switch between portrait and landscape¡ It's especially easy on the MS Surface. All you have to do is exit Metro UI to the standard Windows UI, hover the mouse in the lower-lefthand corner to bring up the screen button to access Start, open Control Panel, open Appearance, open open Display Settings, click on Change Display Settings, Change the Orientation, hit Apply, wait several seconds and hope that the 50/50 guess was the right way because it has no sensor to tell what orientation it's currently in. It couldn't be easier¡

... LOL Soli! What's scary about that is you might have accurately described it. 

FWIW the Nexus 7 does fine in landscape mode. When used for reading it gives you 2 pages side-by-side similar to opening a book. Gmail works particularly well for me in landscape with the mailbox on the left and the opened mail shown on the right panel allowing me to quickly review and scroll. Perhaps not all Android tablets work the same? Dunno.

post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

... LOL Soli! What's scary about that is you might have accurately described it. 

I opened up Win Server 2012 in VMWare to walk through it. 1biggrin.gif

That said, that might have just been an issue with the Surface prototype The Verge demoed as I found this dated from a year ago...

Quote:
FWIW the Nexus 7 does fine in landscape mode. When used for reading it gives you 2 pages side-by-side similar to opening a book. Gmail works particularly well for me in landscape with the mailbox on the left and the opened mail shown on the right panel allowing me to quickly review and scroll. Perhaps not all Android tablets work the same? Dunno.

Android does this satisfactory. I've never seen it transition as seamlessly or smoothly as in iOS but it does it correctly. My problem with the 16:9 tablets is that just aren't great for anything but a widescreen video. Reading simply isn't ideal on that aspect ratio with the 7-10" display. Too wide on one end and too narrow on the other.

Well before the iPad was ever announced I was saying that something around the ol' 4:3 aspect ratio would be ideal. I was laughed at because, as I was told repeatedly, "4:# is an obsolete aspect ratio." I think other tablet makers could have faired better if they copied Apple here. It's funny that we don't see people copying any of the things Apple can't possibly protect and that are key to their success in the industry: user experience.

post #38 of 39
Originally Posted by v5v View Post
Why do you do that?  It's just not possible that you really believe that, because someone who genuinely did would have to be so utterly cognitively impaired that they would be unable to function in society.  Saying that you can draw on an iPad is like saying you can blow up a car with Pop Rocks.  It's NOT black/white.  

… Can you, or can you not, use a stylus on an iPad. That's the question here. You can. That's the answer here. 

Heaven's sake.

Some tasks, while technically *possible* are simply not *practical* in real-world applications, and you KNOW that.

Because the device isn't really designed with a stylus in mind. Yet they can work just fine. Which was the question.

post #39 of 39
Quote:

Totally with Andysol, here. 

Completely.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Purported 'iPad mini' display has same aspect ratio as full-size iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Purported 'iPad mini' display has same aspect ratio as full-size iPad