or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iPhone dominates smartphone Web traffic with 46% share, report says
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone dominates smartphone Web traffic with 46% share, report says - Page 2

post #41 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"But…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…Samsung shipped sold more!"

 

How 'smart' can it be, buying a smartphone and being forced to pay for data… and then never using it…

 

Get with the times man, "shipped" is so last year, now it's "delivered".

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #42 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post


You've never owned an Android phone, have you? 

 

I bet there's as many iOS viruses as Android viruses, the iOS ones are just hiding on jailbroken phones.  To actually get a virus on an Android phone, you need to be pretty damn stupid... 

 

...or just want free (pirated) stuff, which for many average consumer's is their interpretation of "open".

 

Of course no-one posting here would fall into that category.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #43 of 60
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
Get with the times man, "shipped" is so last year, now it's "delivered".

 

Oh, boy… if they use "delivered" and the definition, they can nearly triple their numbers.

 

It's delivered to the US distribution warehouse. Then it's delivered to the reseller shops. Then it MIGHT be delivered to a customer's house.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #44 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Oh, boy… if they use "delivered" and the definition, they can nearly triple their numbers.

 

It's delivered to the US distribution warehouse. Then it's delivered to the reseller shops. Then it MIGHT be delivered to a customer's house.

 

...as long as it's "smooth" the tech press will eat it up.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #45 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post


You've never owned an Android phone, have you? 

 

I bet there's as many iOS viruses as Android viruses, the iOS ones are just hiding on jailbroken phones.  To actually get a virus on an Android phone, you need to be pretty damn stupid... 

With Android, it is as simple as visiting a web site for the vast majority of Android users.

post #46 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

The real news is that back in MAY it was 74% iOS and 26% for android.
And VB is reporting Android at 50%
http://venturebeat.com/2012/10/17/android-smartphones-now-have-majority-mobile-web-traffic-share/


You do realize that iOS includes iPad and while this article talking exclusively about iPhone, don't you?

post #47 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

The question remains - what are people doing with their Galaxy S?

 

It probably has a better vibration mode... you know, when in a man's trousers pocket!

post #48 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post


I don't really follow this ... The iPhone 4 is FREE. How much cheaper can you get?
Do you mean people who use pre-paid phones, or people who opt out of a 2-year contract and pay the unsubsidized full price? Or are you talking people who have broken their phones while under contract and need a cheap replacement until they qualify for an upgrade? Because the vast majority of cell phone users get contracts, that's how they get cheap phones. In which case, why not the iPhone 4?

the vast majority of smartphone users around the world do not have the same system as in the US. you pay the whole thing or very close to it.

post #49 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post


I don't really follow this ... The iPhone 4 is FREE. How much cheaper can you get?
Do you mean people who use pre-paid phones, or people who opt out of a 2-year contract and pay the unsubsidized full price? Or are you talking people who have broken their phones while under contract and need a cheap replacement until they qualify for an upgrade? Because the vast majority of cell phone users get contracts, that's how they get cheap phones. In which case, why not the iPhone 4?

 

You do know that a FREE phone really isn't with a contract?

What is your age?

 

J.

post #50 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post


You've never owned an Android phone, have you? 

 

I bet there's as many iOS viruses as Android viruses, the iOS ones are just hiding on jailbroken phones.  To actually get a virus on an Android phone, you need to be pretty damn stupid... 

But people are stupid. Especially people who buy Android!

post #51 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

You do know that a FREE phone really isn't with a contract?
What is your age?

J.
What is your age? Are you actually suggesting that the majority of Adroid phones in the US are sold without a contract, or are you suggesting that the majority of Android phones in the US are bought wothout a contract and are significantly less expensive than an iPhone bought out of contract, or did you just not bother to read what I wrote?

The majority of mobile phone users in the US have a contract ... And since this article is about data usage in the US (as opposed to the rest of the world where phones are not subsidized this way), hence why I asked for clarification about why someone would choose a "cheaper" Android phone over an iPhone, which is subsidized by a two year contract. I was pretty clear what I meant by my question.

Perhaps you need a course in reading comprehension.
post #52 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Oh, boy… if they use "delivered" and the definition, they can nearly triple their numbers.

 

It's delivered to the US distribution warehouse. Then it's delivered to the reseller shops. Then it MIGHT be delivered to a customer's house.

That's how Samsung treats FRAND patents so why not shipments.

2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
post #53 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
The real reason is that there is simply a larger variety of Android phones.

 

The graph shows all Android phones together have less traffic than all iPhones together. Explain this, when Android has "sold" more.

iPhone owners are more affluent overall and tend to have professions where WiFi is prevalent. Android users tend to be younger and are more likely to be in service related professions where they don't have as much access to WiFi. Just a wild guess.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #54 of 60
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
iPhone owners are more affluent overall and tend to have professions where WiFi is prevalent. Android users tend to be younger and are more likely to be in service related professions where they don't have as much access to WiFi. Just a wild guess.

 

All Android phones are forcibly sold with data plans. Wi-Fi doesn't have much to do with Android users not using their phones.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #55 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by mstone View Post
iPhone owners are more affluent overall and tend to have professions where WiFi is prevalent. Android users tend to be younger and are more likely to be in service related professions where they don't have as much access to WiFi. Just a wild guess.

 

All Android phones are forcibly sold with data plans. Wi-Fi doesn't have much to do with Android users not using their phones.

I think it matters because 3G data is so slow compared to WiFi that is a chore to even download a page so they don't uses as much of the web as a smartphone on WiFi.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #56 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think it matters because 3G data is so slow compared to WiFi that is a chore to even download a page so they don't uses as much of the web as a smartphone on WiFi.

Except most Android phones out nowadays have 4g...  Mine is over a year old, international version, and has dual-band HSPA+ (ie. 42 mbps - plenty fast).  

 

And most of the 'affluent' professionals I know have Blackberries (still!).  Most of the women in my life have iPhones.  And most of the men/tech oriented people have Androids.  In Canada, business still = Blackberry.  

post #57 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think it matters because 3G data is so slow compared to WiFi that is a chore to even download a page so they don't uses as much of the web as a smartphone on WiFi.

Except most Android phones out nowadays have 4g...  Mine is over a year old, international version, and has dual-band HSPA+ (ie. 42 mbps - plenty fast).  

 

And most of the 'affluent' professionals I know have Blackberries (still!).  Most of the women in my life have iPhones.  And most of the men/tech oriented people have Androids.  In Canada, business still = Blackberry.  

Like I said wild guess. What is your explanation for Android using less web? And by the way it looks like your local estimates don't necessarily match my local 'guess-timate' because here I see a lot of young people and lower income workers with older Metro PCS phones in Southern California. Also in business it is mostly iPhones.


Edited by mstone - 10/18/12 at 9:28am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #58 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

In Canada, business still = Blackberry.  

 

Not in my corner of it. Even a particularly dowdy, conservative, slow-moving, annoyingly change-resistant IT department has bent to the pressure to support iOS devices and is slowly migrating away from BB to iPhone. The sea of thumbs on physical keys I used to see on downtown street corners is now an ocean of touch screens. I wouldn't have thought it possible, but it appears to be happening.

post #59 of 60

Totally off-topic, but Google's financial results for the 3rd qtr leaked out early apparently. Stock is off 10% on the news. I don't personally know what "bad news" there was as I don't have any investment with them and therefor don't follow all that much.

 

EDIT: According to another article it's because " investors were expecting some $10.65 per share, while they got just $9.03 per share " 


Edited by Gatorguy - 10/18/12 at 11:06am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #60 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

The real news is that back in MAY it was 74% iOS and 26% for android.
And VB is reporting Android at 50%
http://venturebeat.com/2012/10/17/android-smartphones-now-have-majority-mobile-web-traffic-share/

That was iOS, this is the iPhone...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iPhone dominates smartphone Web traffic with 46% share, report says