or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › When will the lies stop? Mitt's "Binders Full of Women" story not even true

When will the lies stop? Mitt's "Binders Full of Women" story not even true

post #1 of 151

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/10/17/massgap-responds-to-mitt-romney-on-women-appointees/

Mitt didn't request the binders be made.  They were made before the gubernatorial election.  

Mitt didn't ask to see the binders.  They were presented to him by MassGAP.  

Mitt initially selected more women appointees.  But, from 2004-2006, women were selected for appointment at a lower rate than before Romney's term.

When will the lies stop? 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #2 of 151

Ask your friends Romney and Ryan will will the lies stop because they sure both tell a lot of them.Wake up and smell the coffee!

post #3 of 151

This is incredible and horrible!!

I can't believe this BR. Thanks so much for setting us right on this matter.

Iran is going nuclear.

Our embassies are being attacked and ambassadors are being murdered.

Millions more are out of work and can't find a job.

Gas costs have roughly doubled.

Family incomes are down $2500, and health insurance costs are up $2500.

We've borrowed $5 trillion dollars and suffered a credit downgrade (or two depending upon which agencies you include.)

50% of college grads can't find a job.

But here's the real issue for 2012. Here is what we should cast our vote on....

Did Mitt make the binders or were they already made?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #4 of 151

Well originally I was opposed to Romney because he wasn't significantly different from Obama on issues like foreign policy, the Federal Reserve, taxation, and the role of government.

But "BindersFullOfWomen-gate" is a scandal of such monumental proportions that I am GLAD I made the decision to not vote for Romney.

Thank you, BR, for shedding some light on the most important issue facing America today.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #5 of 151

What a shameless liar.  All he did was increase female appointees and have a female chief of staff.  He didn't even ask for the binders!  How can a Governor not ask for the damn binders!!?!?!  He has no PROOF he wanted women in leadership positions*

#Outrage

*Except for well, you know, all the women he had in leadership positions.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #6 of 151

Yeah...  First there was Big Bird and that got me wondering about Romney, and now this.  That's it, I'm done!!!  It's Obama all the way.  How could we have someone who looked through binders full of qualified women to put into positions of seniority in his cabinet.  What's next???  Does Romney not drive a Prius?!?!  Oh the shame!!!

I just couldn't resist jumping on the sarcasm bandwagon.

BR, do you really think that this is an issue that is going to be a deciding factor in this election?  If Romney loses I certainly hope it has nothing to do with the trivial smokescreen issues that the Democrats are putting forth.  That would be truly depressing.  If he loses because of his position on Social Security, taxes, Medicare, foreign policy, etc., I can at least accept that as much as I would disagree with it, but if Big Bird and binders were what cost him the election...

post #7 of 151

This is part of a larger pattern of Mitt Romney habitually lying about anything and everything.  He wouldn't have looked bad if he had told the truth there.  Why can't he?  Even on the little things?  

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #8 of 151
Quote:
"[I]f you don't have any fresh ideas, then you use stale tactics to scare the voters," he proclaimed, "If you don't have a record to run on, then you paint your opponent as someone people should run from."

Quote:

If you don't have a record to run on, then you paint your opponent as someone people should run from. You make a big election about small things. 

And you know what? It's worked before, because it feeds into the cynicism we all have about government. When Washington doesn't work, all its promises seem empty. If your hopes have been dashed again and again, then it's best to stop hoping and settle for what you already know...

Barack Obama, 2008

post #9 of 151

So you won't answer the question.  Got it.  I think Barack Obama has done many, many good things in this presidency.  I made such a post, and all you did was shit on it claiming all the accomplishments I liked were garbage or country-ruining.  So yes, I have supported much of what he has done.  I also am scared of a Mitt Romney presidency.  I am not comfortable with someone who can't open his mouth for two minutes without several lies springing forth.  I am not comfortable with someone who won't give me details on his plans while constantly repeating "trust me, I know what I'm doing".  FUCKING TELL ME WHAT YOU WILL DO THEN!

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #10 of 151

You like Obama's brand of Kool-Aid better than Romney's. We get it, BR.

I'm just glad you've exposed Bindergate for the whole world to see.

Obama AND Romney think it's perfectly fine to detain or assassinate any American citizen for any reason without due process, but Bindergate is beyond the pale.

post #11 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Iran is going nuclear.

We've borrowed $5 trillion dollars and suffered a credit downgrade (or two depending upon which agencies you include.)

Trumptman, I recall during the 2008 campaign, that people were blaming Bush for the appalling mess the country was in with the economic collapse, gas prices at the same levels they are at now, and all the rest. Well, conservatives were railing against this notion - and correctly so - by saying that a president has little or zero control over these issues that involve complex dynamics, with thousands of independent variables, alongside the usual corruption, nepotism and such.

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #12 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Trumptman, I recall during the 2008 campaign, that people were blaming Bush for the appalling mess the country was in with the economic collapse, gas prices at the same levels they are at now, and all the rest. Well, conservatives were railing against this notion - and correctly so - by saying that a president has little or zero control over these issues that involve complex dynamics, with thousands of independent variables, alongside the usual corruption, nepotism and such.

The "people" you are talking about...that were putting out bumper stickers telling us that "gas was $1.80 a gallon when Bush took office" (after it has risen to about $3.50-$4.00/gallon)...or complaining about the wars...or wailing about the huge $200-$300B budget deficits...or PATRIOT acts and Homeland Security departments...were liberals and Democrats. Those same liberals and Democrats for whom gas prices now ($3.50-$4.00/gallon now after being around $1.80 a gallon when Obama took office)...the wars that have expanded or multiplied...and the $1T (plus) budget deficits and the extended PATRIOT act and even more powerful DHS and TSA are all okay now.

Point is...this duplicity and hypocrisy goes both ways.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #13 of 151

If Mittens can't be trusted with a simple little story about his binder problem, how could anybody dare to trust him with the WH, to solve all those serious problems that the Republicans think are so...

Never mind.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #14 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

If Mittens can't be trusted with a simple little story about his binder problem, how could anybody dare to trust him with the WH, to solve all those serious problems that the Republicans think are so...

Never mind.

Oh dear. If only you Democrats applied this logic consistently to people like, well, Barack Obama.

:rolleyes:

post #15 of 151
Quote:

Iran is going nuclear.

As much as I used to be Left Wing. In 2013 is the beginning of 2013-2025 where the shit really hits the fan. Because only countries with ~energy~ will do well. The rest will fight of the scraps.

The time for nonsense has to stop. The quality of life in countries without ~energy~ is dropping sharply.
post #16 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

So you won't answer the question.  Got it.  I think Barack Obama has done many, many good things in this presidency. 

Really, which things?  

Quote:
 I made such a post, and all you did was shit on it claiming all the accomplishments I liked were garbage or country-ruining.

Because they were.  Do I need to list them for you again?  Yeah, I think I do.  

• Failed stimulus
  • $2.7 Trillion healthcare bill
  • No budget from Senate in 1,250 days
  • Trillion dollar+ deficits four years in a row
  • Broke promise to cut deficit in half
  • Massive increase in welfare programs, food stamps, etc.
  • Real unemployment of 11%
  • Failure to negotiate a SoFA with Iraqis, Iraq now on fire.
  • Failure to take military's recommendation on Afghanistan troop levels.  
  • Spiking the football with bin Laden death
  • National security/bin Laden leaks
  • Four dead Americans in Libya
  • Falsely blaming video and protest for consulate attack. 
  • Economic growth stagnant, getting slower.  
  • $4 Trillion in new Bush debt in 8 years was "unpatriotic."  $6 Trillion in new Obama debt in 4 years=Not our fault
  • Open mic moment telling Russians that we will give away the store on missile defense after the election.
  • Open mic moment criticizing PM of Israel 
  • Failure to propose immigration bill, as promised.
  • Failure to propose Medicare and SS reforms, as promise

Think I'll stop there for now.  That's just off the top of my head.  

Quote:
 So yes, I have supported much of what he has done.  

Right.  He "saved the economy."  Except that we're now on the path to Greece.  What else?  

Quote:
I also am scared of a Mitt Romney presidency.  

That's too bad.  

Quote:
 I am not comfortable with someone who can't open his mouth for two minutes without several lies springing forth.

Show me one "lie" he's told.  And really...you're bringing up telling the truth with Benghazi-gate in the works?  Tell me, WHY WERE WE LIED TO BY THIS ADMINISTRATION, BR?  

Quote:
 I am not comfortable with someone who won't give me details on his plans while constantly repeating "trust me, I know what I'm doing".  FUCKING TELL ME WHAT YOU WILL DO THEN!

Double standard much?  Tell me, what is Obama's tax plan?  What is Obama's plan for Medicare?  Social Security?  Deficit?  Romney has provided many more details than Obama.  And on the ones he hasn't, he's made clear that he would work with Congress to identify the specific loopholes, deductions, etc.  This what leaders do.  They don't micromanage the shit out of everything and present a "my way or the highway" bill.  Leaders set the strategy and the framework.  They lay out principles.   Obama could learn a lot from Mitt Romney, or anyone that actually knows how to run something.   

post #17 of 151

We are living in completely different universes.  Half the things you listed off the top of your head are objectively false, and have been previously discredited.  Several other things on your list are blatant hypocrisies (Mission accomplished, anyone?).  A few others aren't even problems in the least.  

I'm not wasting my time rebutting these again.  Open your goddamn eyes and turn off your Fox News.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #18 of 151
Quote:

Several other things on your list are blatant hypocrisies

I humbly defer to the expert in blatant hypocrisy. 1biggrin.gif

post #19 of 151

Go ahead then.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #20 of 151
Quote:

Go ahead then.

(Psst...that was your queue.)

post #21 of 151

What about my line?  I don't understand.  Oh, cue.  I get it.  Thank you for adding nothing of substance to this thread, but rather shitting on it with a tu quoque fallacy.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #22 of 151

You forgot your line? Let me help you. Just engage in ad-hominem attacks and play "Name That Fallacy" like you normally do. Ooh...that sounds like a good idea for a game show. You can be the host.

post #23 of 151

Stop making so many fallacies and I'll stop naming them.  Stop believing ridiculous things and I'll stop ridiculing the things you believe.  The problem isn't with me.  The problem is with you.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #24 of 151

Ooh, I know this one! Ad-hominem fallacy.

What do I win?

post #25 of 151

Double post.

post #26 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Ooh, I know this one! Ad-hominem fallacy.

What do I win?

Nothing, because you are wrong.  You poked fun at me for pointing out logical fallacies.  Those posts, though, are often in response to you making said logical fallacies.  I don't post logical fallacies first and have you come up with some that match.  If you follow the chain of events, you made the first move.  Don't make the logical fallacies and you won't be called on them.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #27 of 151

Hmm...this one's a toughie, but I'm going with poisoning the well.

post #28 of 151

Bzzzt, wrong again.  You lose.  Go home.  You get nothing.  I have not preemptively posted any information about you to sour folks against you.  Your record is in your 5,810 posts.  Cut the crap and just stop being so goddamn knee-jerky and spammy all the time.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #29 of 151

Yeah, I should have gone with ad hominem fallacy again.

Three ad-homs in a row? Change things up a little, BR. You're making this too easy.

post #30 of 151

The real question of course isn't about who committed which fallacy. It is who compiled the binder of fallacies that we use to look up and figure out which fallacy occurred?

BR may have pointed out the fallacy but per the thread topic, since Jazzguru created the binders, he wins. Referencing materials makes you a liar and a giant turd sandwich!!! Only compiling them keeps one pure and clean.

post #31 of 151

Ooh, that's the perfect name for BR's gameshow: Binders Full of Fallacies!

post #32 of 151
Quote:

Yeah, I should have gone with ad hominem fallacy again.

Three ad-homs in a row? Change things up a little, BR. You're making this too easy.

I am not saying your arguments are invalid because of flaws in your character.  I'm saying your arguments are invalid because they are littered with falsehoods and logical fallacies.  Learn what an ad hominem fallacy is before you start throwing around accusations of them.  

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #33 of 151
Okay, I'm seeing a pattern here. This must be a bonus round. I'm going with proof by assertion. Argumentum ad nauseum is my backup answer.

post #34 of 151

Which you induced through your terrible behavior.  Congratulations.  How about you just learn to put together better arguments?  Bugger off and come back when you've learned some science.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #35 of 151

If we ask Obama to show us what binders he has compiled and used, is that racist?

post #36 of 151
Quote:

If we ask Obama to show us what binders he has compiled and used, is that racist?

All politicians have binders and bias however I'm sure not even close to the same situation. But nice try at a tit for tat answer.1rolleyes.gif1oyvey.gif

Tell me which ones are you referring to? How is it racist?

Edited by jimmac - 10/20/12 at 11:57am
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #37 of 151
What if the binders are different colors?

post #38 of 151
Quote:

What if the binders are different colors?

And.........................

post #39 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

All politicians have binders and bias however I'm sure not even close to the same situation. But nice try at a tit for tat answer.1rolleyes.gif1oyvey.gif

Tell me which ones are you referring to? How is it racist?

They are still trying to cling to the thought that Mittens requested the binders?  And they try to deflect and request something of Obama, when it was Mittens who brought it up about himself?  Classic.

post #40 of 151
Can you say non issue? I bet you cannot. This whole binders thing is so stupid.

He saw a lack of women in his staff. He increased the number of women. End of story. 1rolleyes.gif
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › When will the lies stop? Mitt's "Binders Full of Women" story not even true