or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › When will the lies stop? Mitt's "Binders Full of Women" story not even true
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

When will the lies stop? Mitt's "Binders Full of Women" story not even true - Page 2

post #41 of 151
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Can you say non issue? I bet you cannot. This whole binders thing is so stupid.
He saw a lack of women in his staff. He increased the number of women. End of story. 1rolleyes.gif

Except he didn't.  He didn't see the lack of women.  He didn't increase the numbers.  Roll your eyes at yourself in the mirror for not giving two shits about the facts.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #42 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Except he didn't.  He didn't see the lack of women.  He didn't increase the numbers.  Roll your eyes at yourself in the mirror for not giving two shits about the facts.
Except he did:


Prior to the 2002 election, women comprised approximately 30 percent of appointed senior-level positions in Massachusetts government. By 2004, 42 percent of the new appointments made by the Romney administration were women. Subsequently, however, from 2004-2006 the percentage of newly-appointed women in these senior appointed positions dropped to 25 percent.


It did fall off later, but he did indeed increase the numbers. Someone doesn't care abut facts, but it is not me.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #43 of 151
Where were the binders manufactured? If they were made in China then Romney is contributing to the outsourcing of American jobs overseas. This scandal just keeps getting worse and worse. The single most important issue of the entire campaign right here.

1rolleyes.gif

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #44 of 151
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post


Except he did:
Prior to the 2002 election, women comprised approximately 30 percent of appointed senior-level positions in Massachusetts government. By 2004, 42 percent of the new appointments made by the Romney administration were women. Subsequently, however, from 2004-2006 the percentage of newly-appointed women in these senior appointed positions dropped to 25 percent.
It did fall off later, but he did indeed increase the numbers. Someone doesn't care abut facts, but it is not me.

So he paid lip service right after the election and then stopped later.  However, he didn't see the lack of women.  He didn't seek out to change it.  In the end, it changed for the worse.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #45 of 151

I never trust a guy who doesn't use his real first name. It only confirms that he has some peculiar insecurity problems. You know how some people just have that untrustworthiness about them? That's the impression I get from watching his nervous mannerisms. He does not have the type of personality that makes people comfortable. When he tries to make small talk to warm up the crowd he always says some really stupid stuff that makes you shake your head about how he got where he is today. The people who support Romney are pure and simple just anti Obama because Romney is a terrible candidate. If you vote for Romney you are basically voting for unnamed political consultants because that is who will be running the country if he is elected.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #46 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

We are living in completely different universes.  Half the things you listed off the top of your head are objectively false, and have been previously discredited.  Several other things on your list are blatant hypocrisies (Mission accomplished, anyone?).  A few others aren't even problems in the least.  

 

I'm not wasting my time rebutting these again.  Open your goddamn eyes and turn off your Fox News.

 

Ha.  You sound like Gingrich.  "He just said at least four false things. Go to my website to find out why."  Really, BR...you're being so lazy.  Tell me which things are discredited and false.  Or just acknowledge what I think you know deep down:  Obama is a failed President.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #47 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

So he paid lip service right after the election and then stopped later.  However, he didn't see the lack of women.  He didn't seek out to change it.  In the end, it changed for the worse.

 

That is a bald-faced lie.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #48 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I never trust a guy who doesn't use his real first name. It only confirms that he has some peculiar insecurity problems

 

WTF?  LOL.  lol.gif

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #49 of 151
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

 

That is a bald-faced lie.  

Incorrect.  He was approached by MassGAP.  He did not seek out the "binders".  They were given to him.  He didn't seek to change it.  Others sought after him.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #50 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Incorrect.  He was approached by MassGAP.  He did not seek out the "binders".  They were given to him.  He didn't seek to change it.  Others sought after him.
Or maybe, just maybe... Both happened... Nah, it could only be BR's way.

Also, he did not say he sought the binders. He said he asked for more qualified women and they brought him binders. Read it again.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #51 of 151
Thread Starter 

Try again with that reading comprehension.  This is MassGAP's response to Romney in the debate.  MassGAP did all the seeking.  MassGAP created the binders on their own.   MassGAP pushed for more women getting hired on their own.  Romney didn't approach them.  They approached Romney.

 

 

 

Quote:

At the presidential debate last night, questions arose regarding how women candidates were identified for potential appointment to leadership roles by former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney. What follows details the process that was created by the Massachusetts Women’s Political Caucus in 2002 to maximize opportunities for women to be considered for key roles in Massachusetts government.

The Massachusetts Government Appointments Project (MassGAP) was founded under the leadership of the MA Women’s Political Caucus in 2002 to address the issue of the under-representation of women in appointed positions in Massachusetts government.MassGAP brought together a nonpartisan coalition of over 25 women’s organizations to recruit women to apply for government positions within the administration, and recommend qualified women for those positions.

Prior to the 2002 gubernatorial election, MassGAP approached the campaigns of candidates Shannon O’Brien and  Mitt Romney and asked them both to commit to: (1).“Make best efforts” to ensure that the number of women in appointed state positions is proportionate to the population of women in Massachusetts; (2). Select a transition team whose composition is proportionate to the women in the Commonwealth; and (3). Meet with MassGAP representatives regularly during the appointments process.  Both campaigns made a commitment to this process.

Following the election, MassGAP formed committees for each cabinet post in the administration and began the process of recruiting, interviewing, and vetting women applicants. Those committees selected top applicants for each position and presented this information to the administration for follow-up interviews and consideration for appointment.

Prior to the 2002 election, women comprised approximately 30 percent of appointed senior-level positions in Massachusetts government. By 2004, 42 percent of the new appointments made by the Romney administration were women. Subsequently, however, from 2004-2006 the percentage of newly-appointed women in these senior appointed positions dropped to 25 percent.

MassGAP is proud to have the Massachusetts Women’s Political Caucus as our lead sponsor and we are grateful to all of the women who have devoted their time and energy to making this project a continued success. The Massachusetts Women’s Political Caucus is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization founded in 1971 to increase the number of women elected and appointed to public office and public policy positions and to maximize the participation of women of all ages in the political process.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #52 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Or maybe, just maybe... Both happened... Nah, it could only be BR's way.
Also, he did not say he sought the binders. He said he asked for more qualified women and they brought him binders. Read it again.

 

Exactly.  No one is claiming he sought the binders, not even Mitt Romney.  He's saying he wanted more women.  But BR can't admit that, because it makes Romney look like an actual human being.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #53 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Try again with that reading comprehension.  This is MassGAP's response to Romney in the debate.  MassGAP did all the seeking.  MassGAP created the binders on their own.   MassGAP pushed for more women getting hired on their own.  Romney didn't approach them.  They approached Romney.


I don't doubt that this is their side of the exchange. What you are ignoring is Romneys side as if it does not matter. There are at least 2 sides to every story. Romney has a side as well. See if you can read that part a not pretend it does not matter. In that part what did he say exactly?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #54 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I never trust a guy who doesn't use his real first name. It only confirms that he has some peculiar insecurity problems. You know how some people just have that untrustworthiness about them? That's the impression I get from watching his nervous mannerisms. He does not have the type of personality that makes people comfortable. When he tries to make small talk to warm up the crowd he always says some really stupid stuff that makes you shake your head about how he got where he is today. The people who support Romney are pure and simple just anti Obama because Romney is a terrible candidate. If you vote for Romney you are basically voting for unnamed political consultants because that is who will be running the country if he is elected.

 

Now that is just narrow headed and wrong.  Lots of people use their middle name and in some cases it wasn't really even their choice.  I have a nephew who's name is Michael Chase and he goes by Chase.  He has been called Chase since he was a baby.  This is basically not a choice he made, but one made for him by his parent's.  I know a couple of other examples of guys going by their middle name and one of them was simply that he got sick of the confusion caused by his first name (John) as there were a lot of guys with that name in his circle of friends when he was younger so he started going by his middle name to make things easier.

 

I won't bother with how wrong the rest of your comment is...

post #55 of 151
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I don't doubt that this is their side of the exchange. What you are ignoring is Romneys side as if it does not matter. There are at least 2 sides to every story. Romney has a side as well. See if you can read that part a not pretend it does not matter. In that part what did he say exactly?

Romney claims he approached MassGAP.  That just isn't true.  MassGAP approached both candidates prior to the election.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #56 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I don't doubt that this is their side of the exchange. What you are ignoring is Romneys side as if it does not matter. There are at least 2 sides to every story. Romney has a side as well. See if you can read that part a not pretend it does not matter. In that part what did he say exactly?

Romney claims he approached MassGAP.  That just isn't true.  MassGAP approached both candidates prior to the election.

 

This seems to be a very minor point. Surely all he was trying to say was that he worked with these groups to try to improve the situation. To obsess over who called whom first is probably to miss the bigger picture - that the effort was made.

post #57 of 151
Thread Starter 

But was it?  Sure, there was an initial spike in hirings right after the election, but by the final two years of his term, women hiring was lower than before.  Furthermore, women were not placed in key positions--this matches his track record at the boy's club called Bain Capital.  So, yes, who approached whom in this case, given Mitt's history, is damn well important.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #58 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

But was it?  Sure, there was an initial spike in hirings right after the election, but by the final two years of his term, women hiring was lower than before.  Furthermore, women were not placed in key positions--this matches his track record at the boy's club called Bain Capital.  So, yes, who approached whom in this case, given Mitt's history, is damn well important.

 

There's no question it's important to you. But is it important to the majority of voters? If so, is it important enough to influence their vote either way?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #59 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

But was it?  Sure, there was an initial spike in hirings right after the election, but by the final two years of his term, women hiring was lower than before.  Furthermore, women were not placed in key positions--this matches his track record at the boy's club called Bain Capital.  So, yes, who approached whom in this case, given Mitt's history, is damn well important.

 

So I would argue that it is quite reasonable to explore whether the effort was sustained or successful, but focussing on how it started it is not so productive.

post #60 of 151
Thread Starter 

How it started is important because Mitt Romney decided to make a statement to the American People that he was the one who created the initiative--that he was the one who prompted the binders being made.  

 

This goes into a pattern of Mitt Romney taking credit for things that he hasn't done.  He took credit for the auto industry recovery several months back--something he had nothing to do with.   

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #61 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Romney claims he approached MassGAP.  That just isn't true.  MassGAP approached both candidates prior to the election.

 

He does?   I haven't seen that. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

 

This seems to be a very minor point. Surely all he was trying to say was that he worked with these groups to try to improve the situation. To obsess over who called whom first is probably to miss the bigger picture - that the effort was made.

 

Agreed.  In fact, as I said I've not heard him claim he approached them other than saying he "reached out" to women's groups.  It's really splitting hairs.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

But was it?  Sure, there was an initial spike in hirings right after the election, but by the final two years of his term, women hiring was lower than before.  Furthermore, women were not placed in key positions--this matches his track record at the boy's club called Bain Capital.  So, yes, who approached whom in this case, given Mitt's history, is damn well important.

 

Oh, please.  Mitt's history? Right, because he's anti-woman.  He ran a 'boys club" at Bain capital.  Oh, and he wants to band birth control.  Right?  I mean, shit, BR.  You are really sounding desperate right now.  Meanwhile, the President's own White House pays women 18% less than men.  This thread is a fucking joke.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #62 of 151
Aaaaand, I 'm done here.

Thank you Muppetry. I agree with your position.

Thank you BR, the frustration generated here was priceless, and unnecessary.

Thank you everyone else.

Have fun! See you in another thread.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #63 of 151
Thread Starter 

He reached out.  They reached out to him.  Splitting hairs?  Only if you are a partisan hack.  You can't switch the subject and the object nouns and claim the meaning is the same.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #64 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

He reached out.  They reached out to him.  Splitting hairs?  Only if you are a partisan hack.  You can't switch the subject and the object nouns and claim the meaning is the same.

 

LOL.  The meltdown continues.  Just stop, BR.  The Mitt Romney is a Liar™ meme isn't sticking for your or Obama campaign puppeteers.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #65 of 151
Thread Starter 

The election to win Mitt Romney so much wants you that you don't matter to the Mitt Romney the lies tells.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #66 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

The election to win Mitt Romney so much wants you that you don't matter to the Mitt Romney the lies tells.

 

Apparently you've dipped into the drugs now.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #67 of 151
Thread Starter 
I thought reversing the subject and object nouns made no difference. Do they now?

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #68 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I thought reversing the subject and object nouns made no difference. Do they now?

 

Crack. 

 

 

Pipe. 

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #69 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

 

LOL.  The meltdown continues.  Just stop, BR.  The Mitt Romney is a Liar™ meme isn't sticking for your or Obama campaign puppeteers.  

 

Yeah, but you know that both BR and Obama are going to ride that horse all the way to losing the election.

post #70 of 151
Thread Starter 

Why do facts not matter?  Mitt Romney once again paraded out the thoroughly debunked apology tour meme and claims Syria is Iran's gateway to the sea (newsflash, Iran has over 1000 miles of coastline and does not share a border with Syria), amongst other fabrications.  Why do you not give a shit?

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #71 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Why do facts not matter?  Mitt Romney once again paraded out the thoroughly debunked apology tour meme and claims Syria is Iran's gateway to the sea (newsflash, Iran has over 1000 miles of coastline and does not share a border with Syria), amongst other fabrications.  Why do you not give a shit?

Give me a break. Do you actually know what a lie is?

Romney explained exactly what he meant by the apology tour. Obama was nice enough to give him the reason to spell this out specifically so that people like you couldn't, or shouldn't at least call it a lie. He cited exact verbiage and instances and why he viewed that as an apology. At this point it would be for the viewers to decide if that qualified as an apology, but it was factually accurate and therefore not a lie.

He also didn't say that Syria was a gateway to the sea, though I don't have the transcript in front of me so I could be wrong there. If he did I'm sure that he meant it figuratively referring to Syria being Iran's proxy for supporting terrorists which is a commonly accepted fact.

So Romney was completely accurate in the facts. The question is not, "Why do facts matter?" The question is, why do you constantly fall back to this juvenile argument even the facts are indeed laid out before you as Romney did?
post #72 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Why do facts not matter?  Mitt Romney once again paraded out the thoroughly debunked apology tour meme and claims Syria is Iran's gateway to the sea (newsflash, Iran has over 1000 miles of coastline and does not share a border with Syria), amongst other fabrications.  Why do you not give a shit?

 

Romney explained why he labeled it an apology tour, giving direct Obama quotes to support his conclusion.  He was obviously wrong on Syria and the gateway to the sea comment.  I don't see how that's a lie, but have fun with the mistake.  It's about all you've got left.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post


Give me a break. Do you actually know what a lie is?
Romney explained exactly what he meant by the apology tour. Obama was nice enough to give him the reason to spell this out specifically so that people like you couldn't, or shouldn't at least call it a lie. He cited exact verbiage and instances and why he viewed that as an apology. At this point it would be for the viewers to decide if that qualified as an apology, but it was factually accurate and therefore not a lie.
He also didn't say that Syria was a gateway to the sea, though I don't have the transcript in front of me so I could be wrong there. If he did I'm sure that he meant it figuratively referring to Syria being Iran's proxy for supporting terrorists which is a commonly accepted fact.
So Romney was completely accurate in the facts. The question is not, "Why do facts matter?" The question is, why do you constantly fall back to this juvenile argument even the facts are indeed laid out before you as Romney did?

 

 

Well put.  To be clear, he did say Syria was "Iran's gateway to the sea."  This was obviously inaccurate.  Then again, Obama said "sequestration will not happen."  His campaign walked that back right after the debate, saying he meant "should not" happen.  Guess he lied too?  ;)

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #73 of 151
Thread Starter 

Yes, Obama did in that regard.  Obama, however, didn't run as a radical conservative during the primaries and then suddenly morph into a centrist for the general.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #74 of 151
Thread Starter 

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/oct/17/mitt-romney/mitt-romney-says-barack-obama-began/

 

Pants on fire with regard to apology tours.  Also was lie of the year last year, I believe.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #75 of 151

We don't like your kind of people!

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #76 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/oct/17/mitt-romney/mitt-romney-says-barack-obama-began/

 

Pants on fire with regard to apology tours.  Also was lie of the year last year, I believe.

 

Of course, you also believe that Obama called the Benghazi attack and "act of terror" on Sept. 12 in the Rose Garden I assume.

post #77 of 151
Thread Starter 
Quote:

Rose Garden

10:43 A.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT:  Good morning.  Every day, all across the world, American diplomats and civilians work tirelessly to advance the interests and values of our nation.  Often, they are away from their families.  Sometimes, they brave great danger.

Yesterday, four of these extraordinary Americans were killed in an attack on our diplomatic post in Benghazi.  Among those killed was our Ambassador, Chris Stevens, as well as Foreign Service Officer Sean Smith.  We are still notifying the families of the others who were killed.  And today, the American people stand united in holding the families of the four Americans in our thoughts and in our prayers.

The United States condemns in the strongest terms this outrageous and shocking attack.  We're working with the government of Libya to secure our diplomats.  I've also directed my administration to increase our security at diplomatic posts around the world.  And make no mistake, we will work with the Libyan government to bring to justice the killers who attacked our people.

Since our founding, the United States has been a nation that respects all faiths.  We reject all efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others.  But there is absolutely no justification to this type of senseless violence.  None.  The world must stand together to unequivocally reject these brutal acts.

Already, many Libyans have joined us in doing so, and this attack will not break the bonds between the United States and Libya.  Libyan security personnel fought back against the attackers alongside Americans.  Libyans helped some of our diplomats find safety, and they carried Ambassador Stevens’s body to the hospital, where we tragically learned that he had died.

It's especially tragic that Chris Stevens died in Benghazi because it is a city that he helped to save.  At the height of the Libyan revolution, Chris led our diplomatic post in Benghazi.  With characteristic skill, courage, and resolve, he built partnerships with Libyan revolutionaries, and helped them as they planned to build a new Libya.  When the Qaddafi regime came to an end, Chris was there to serve as our ambassador to the new Libya, and he worked tirelessly to support this young democracy, and I think both Secretary Clinton and I relied deeply on his knowledge of the situation on the ground there.  He was a role model to all who worked with him and to the young diplomats who aspire to walk in his footsteps.

Along with his colleagues, Chris died in a country that is still striving to emerge from the recent experience of war. Today, the loss of these four Americans is fresh, but our memories of them linger on.  I have no doubt that their legacy will live on through the work that they did far from our shores and in the hearts of those who love them back home.

Of course, yesterday was already a painful day for our nation as we marked the solemn memory of the 9/11 attacks.  We mourned with the families who were lost on that day.  I visited the graves of troops who made the ultimate sacrifice in Iraq and Afghanistan at the hallowed grounds of Arlington Cemetery, and had the opportunity to say thank you and visit some of our wounded warriors at Walter Reed.  And then last night, we learned the news of this attack in Benghazi. 

As Americans, let us never, ever forget that our freedom is only sustained because there are people who are willing to fight for it, to stand up for it, and in some cases, lay down their lives for it.  Our country is only as strong as the character of our people and the service of those both civilian and military who represent us around the globe.

No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for.  Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America.  We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act.  And make no mistake, justice will be done.

But we also know that the lives these Americans led stand in stark contrast to those of their attackers.  These four Americans stood up for freedom and human dignity.  They should give every American great pride in the country that they served, and the hope that our flag represents to people around the globe who also yearn to live in freedom and with dignity.

We grieve with their families, but let us carry on their memory, and let us continue their work of seeking a stronger America and a better world for all of our children.

Thank you.  May God bless the memory of those we lost and may God bless the United States of America.

END
10:48 A.M. EDT

 

 

And then on September 13th...

 

 

Skip to 1:07.  "No act of terror will go unpunished."

 

Now, can you put this dumb fucking bullshit terrorgate nonsense to rest?

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #78 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/oct/17/mitt-romney/mitt-romney-says-barack-obama-began/

 

Pants on fire with regard to apology tours.  Also was lie of the year last year, I believe.

 

Of course, you also believe that Obama called the Benghazi attack and "act of terror" on Sept. 12 in the Rose Garden I assume.

 

Oh come on - you're not even attempting to address the issue raised. The level of tu quoque on some of these threads just destroys all attempts at a discussion. And you picked a very contentious tu quoque at that - in my opinion he did call it just that, for what it's worth.

post #79 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/oct/17/mitt-romney/mitt-romney-says-barack-obama-began/

 

Pants on fire with regard to apology tours.  Also was lie of the year last year, I believe.

 

 

And the bowing to foreign leaders stuff:

 

Nixon did

 

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1109/The_Nixon_bow.html

 

Search france bow eisenhower turns up these photos:

 

bow france eisenhower

 

Oh, then there is king Raygun himself:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jocQgIBjPzc

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #80 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/oct/17/mitt-romney/mitt-romney-says-barack-obama-began/

 

Pants on fire with regard to apology tours.  Also was lie of the year last year, I believe.

 

LOL.  I say again:  Romney used direct quotations to explain why HE called it an apology tour.  Now, you can disagree with him as to what it actually was.  But he was expressing an opinion.  It can't be a "lie."   By the way, what did you think the "tour" was?  He said, on foreign soil, often on Arabic TV:  

 

  • America had been dismissive, even derisive.
  • America had not recognized Europe's "leading role" in the world. 
  • America sought to dictate terms
  • America had acted contrary to our values
  • Implied America used torture in the past by saying he had banned it.  

 

 

So what was it, BR?  He wasn't apologizing?  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

 

 

And the bowing to foreign leaders stuff:

 

Nixon did

 

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1109/The_Nixon_bow.html

 

Search france bow eisenhower turns up these photos:

 

bow france eisenhower

 

Oh, then there is king Raygun himself:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jocQgIBjPzc

 

I've never really put much stock in the bowing thing, other than to note it seems Obama has done it more than others.  I think it's the combination of the Apology Tour™ (and yes, that's exactly what it was), his rhetoric about America being "one of many voices" instead of leading the world (etc) combined with the bowing.  It sends a message of weakness.  

 

By the way, I don't think Romney mentioned the bowing.  I may be wrong.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › When will the lies stop? Mitt's "Binders Full of Women" story not even true