or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › When will the lies stop? Mitt's "Binders Full of Women" story not even true

When will the lies stop? Mitt's "Binders Full of Women" story not even true - Page 3

post #81 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

And then on September 13th...

Skip to 1:07.  "No act of terror will go unpunished."

Now, can you put this dumb fucking bullshit terrorgate nonsense to rest?

Well...  Is he referring to Benghazi as an "act of terror" or an "act of violence"?  Because right after he says "no act of terror", he uses the phrase "no act of violence".  You are outraged over the "apology tour" because if never actually said, "I apologize".  He said numerous things in various speeches that could be take as an apology but he never actually said the word apology or apologize.  Now, in this instance you are defending him by taking any reference to "act of terror" to mean he called Lybia an act of terror though he never says anything close to "Lybia was an act of terror".  You obviously want to have it both ways.

The President in this speech was either speaking in generalities at the end of his speech when he mentions "act of terror", or he was practicing political double speak to give himself cover.  You are assuming the later, but that really makes no sense.  He repeatedly denied Lybia as being an "act of terror" after this.  If this was a Republican Presidency, you would be screaming from the rooftops for impeachment because he intentionally misled and lied to the American people.  There is now a paper trail to prove that the White House KNEW within hours that this was indeed an act of terror and yet the White House and State Dept spent weeks either denying it or claiming that they were still investigating.

How about a little consistency of logic here.

post #82 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Well...  Is he referring to Benghazi as an "act of terror" or an "act of violence"?  Because right after he says "no act of terror", he uses the phrase "no act of violence".  You are outraged over the "apology tour" because if never actually said, "I apologize".  He said numerous things in various speeches that could be take as an apology but he never actually said the word apology or apologize.  Now, in this instance you are defending him by taking any reference to "act of terror" to mean he called Lybia an act of terror though he never says anything close to "Lybia was an act of terror".  You obviously want to have it both ways.

The President in this speech was either speaking in generalities at the end of his speech when he mentions "act of terror", or he was practicing political double speak to give himself cover.  You are assuming the later, but that really makes no sense.  He repeatedly denied Lybia as being an "act of terror" after this.  If this was a Republican Presidency, you would be screaming from the rooftops for impeachment because he intentionally misled and lied to the American people.  There is now a paper trail to prove that the White House KNEW within hours that this was indeed an act of terror and yet the White House and State Dept spent weeks either denying it or claiming that they were still investigating.

Good luck with that one.  Logic?  Consistency?  LOL.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #83 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Quote:

Good luck with that one.  Logic?  Consistency?  LOL.  

I'd have to argue that it is you two who are misapplying logic. He made a speech about an event that we know was a terrorist attack, and he referred to "acts of terror". There is no good reason, other than that you would like it to be so, to argue that he was talking about something else.

post #84 of 151
Quote:

And then on September 13th...

Skip to 1:07.  "No act of terror will go unpunished."

Now, can you put this dumb fucking bullshit terrorgate nonsense to rest?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #85 of 151

This is almost birther dumb.  You don't get to write "still talking about 9/11/01" after a convenient editing out of a paragraph and a half of his speech that circled it back to the Benghazi attack and magically make it so.  Here's the actual transcript, Noah Birther 2.0.  

Quote:

Along with his colleagues, Chris died in a country that is still striving to emerge from the recent experience of war. Today, the loss of these four Americans is fresh, but our memories of them linger on.  I have no doubt that their legacy will live on through the work that they did far from our shores and in the hearts of those who love them back home.

Of course, yesterday was already a painful day for our nation as we marked the solemn memory of the 9/11 attacks.  We mourned with the families who were lost on that day.  I visited the graves of troops who made the ultimate sacrifice in Iraq and Afghanistan at the hallowed grounds of Arlington Cemetery, and had the opportunity to say thank you and visit some of our wounded warriors at Walter Reed.  And then last night, we learned the news of this attack in Benghazi. 

As Americans, let us never, ever forget that our freedom is only sustained because there are people who are willing to fight for it, to stand up for it, and in some cases, lay down their lives for it.  Our country is only as strong as the character of our people and the service of those both civilian and military who represent us around the globe.

No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for.  Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America.  We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act.  And make no mistake, justice will be done.

Noah, you have reached a new low.  In your absence, you appear to have honed your partisan hackery.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #86 of 151
Quote:

This is almost birther dumb.  You don't get to write "still talking about 9/11/01" after a convenient editing out of a paragraph and a half of his speech that circled it back to the Benghazi attack and magically make it so.  Here's the actual transcript, Noah Birther 2.0.  

Noah, you have reached a new low.  In your absence, you appear to have honed your partisan hackery.

If you think he did label it an act of terror, then why did he refuse to do so for two weeks afterwards?  Why blame it on a video?  The Rose Garden speech is really not the issue.  

post #87 of 151

Move those goalposts.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #88 of 151
Quote:

Move those goalposts.

Let me be clear:  I do not think his speech in the rose garden referred to the attack being an act of terror.  What I'm saying is this is the least of the issues.  I frankly wouldn't have cared if he never used the word terror in that speech.  What I do care about is the POTUS, SecState, PressSec and UN Ambassador going to the U.N, talk shows, The View and every other media outlet in the world--blaming a video and a non-existent mob.  You see, BR, if I concede that he did call it a terrorist attack, that makes things that much worse.  That means he unequivocally knew it was so and presented it as something else.  That's called lying.  

post #89 of 151

Something your boys Ryan and Romney do a lot.Everything you denounce Obama does and it is getting to be disgusting already.Nothing right you give this man credit for why?

post #90 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Something your boys Ryan and Romney do a lot.Everything you denounce Obama does and it is getting to be disgusting already.Nothing right you give this man credit for why?

Show me one lie that Paul Ryan and/or Mitt Romney told.  And I will give credit where credit is due.  Unfortunately, there isn't much of it due---not to this man. 

post #91 of 151
Quote:

Didn't make the video, it was actually the first one linked to the video you posted. Yes, you can see that whoever it was did edit out portions of the speech. However, birther? Get a life BR.

He was talking about 9/11 and yes he tried to come bad around to Benghazi but you could make a case either way whether he thought Benghazi was actually an act of terror or not in the speech. Based on his speeches and actions after this speech I would lay my bets on not. Otherwise if he did, then he lied to the american people and intentionally tried to mislead them to make a political and religious point about a internet video...

But good of you to try to make it about me. You have kept your personal attacks sharp in my absence.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #92 of 151

I don't care that you didn't make the video.  You chose to post it.  You chose it to represent your beliefs.  It was a terrible video demonstrating all that is wrong with American politics today--and you felt the need to perpetuate it.  Shame.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #93 of 151
Quote:

I don't care that you didn't make the video.  You chose to post it.  You chose it to represent your beliefs.  It was a terrible video demonstrating all that is wrong with American politics today--and you felt the need to perpetuate it.  Shame.
Honestly BR, in this case in particular what you think means so little to me, and what you call shame does not matter to me. If you are going to be intellectually honest you would man up and admit that Obama has truly dropped the ball on this issue. The video called him out for what he said and what he did, and for the actions of his administration. And you focus on one line in his speech when two weeks of actions following say the opposite of what you are claiming. If anyone should be ashamed it is you.

If the reports that are surfacing that he watched the attacks live and refused to send troops in are true, then you should be calling for him to step down as president as he is unfit for the office of commander in chief.

Shame, BR. Real SHAME.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #94 of 151

The video was badly edited propaganda.  Let the truth speak for itself without editing it to fit your narrative.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #95 of 151
Quote:

OK...  I'll concede that Obama called the Benghazi attack on 9/11/2012 an "act of terror".  Now, on this concession, can we move the discussion along to the next days and weeks?  Obama called the Benghazi attack on 9/11 an "act of terror".  There should be no denial of this fact, and the President showed great leadership in acknowledging this and stating that the US will hunt down the perpetrators.

Now, why did Hillary Clinton that same day link this attack to a anti-Muslim YouTube video?  On Sept. 14th the White House press secretary also referred to this attack as being related to this same video.  Secretary Clinton again on Sept 14th stated, "We’ve seen rage and violence directed at American embassies over an awful internet video that we had nothing to do with."  On September 16 the U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. did the Sunday show tour (5 shows in all), stating that the attacks began as a "spontaneous reaction" to "a hateful and offensive video that was widely disseminated throughout the Arab and Muslim world."  On Sept 18th Jay Carney (WH press sec) again stated this was about the video and not a terrorist attack by saying, "we saw no evidence to back up claims by others that this was a preplanned or premeditated attack; that we saw evidence that it was sparked by the reaction to this video."  Why did President Obama state on Univision on Sept. 20th, "What we do know is that the natural protests that arose because of the outrage over the video were used as an excuse by extremists to see if they can also directly harm U.S. interests."  President Obama again in his speech at the UN on Sept 25th said, "There is no video that justifies an attack on an Embassy."

Why in the world did virtually everyone associated with the administration say either directly or obliquely that this attack was associated with a YouTube video for the next two weeks?  Why since President Obama called it an "act of terror" on Sept 12th did he not even mention the word terrorist in relation to the attack until a week later on Letterman?  Why the entire narrative of the video and protests for two solid weeks when there appears to be zero evidence that there was even a protest going on in Benghazi?  Why is the first CLEAR statement from the Obama administration on the President's position not until Sept 27th when Jay Carney answers a question with, “The president’s position [is] that this was a terrorist attack”?

post #96 of 151

Weren't the chicks in the White House complaining that old boys network was alive and well on the Obama golf course and basketball court? Where are the carts and benches full of women?

post #97 of 151
Quote:

The video was badly edited propaganda.  Let the truth speak for itself without editing it to fit your narrative.
Answer the damned question BR.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #98 of 151

You didn't ask a question.  You just frothed a bit about the president because the administration didn't know everything that happened instantaneously.  With regard to the extra security forces that were requested, from what I just read over at Politifact, those security forces would have been stationed in Tripoli--400 miles away from Benghazi.  Seems rather disingenuous to bring up the denial of the request for extra security in Tripoli when discussing an attack about Benghazi.

This is why I have trouble speaking with you and your likeminded brethren.  I have to parse through so many lies and irrelevant details to get to the meat of the issue that it wastes an enormous amount of my time.  Stop wasting your time and give Romney the same scrutiny you are currently giving Obama.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #99 of 151
Quote:

You didn't ask a question.  You just frothed a bit about the president because the administration didn't know everything that happened instantaneously.  With regard to the extra security forces that were requested, from what I just read over at Politifact, those security forces would have been stationed in Tripoli--400 miles away from Benghazi.  Seems rather disingenuous to bring up the denial of the request for extra security in Tripoli when discussing an attack about Benghazi.

This is why I have trouble speaking with you and your likeminded brethren.  I have to parse through so many lies and irrelevant details to get to the meat of the issue that it wastes an enormous amount of my time.  Stop wasting your time and give Romney the same scrutiny you are currently giving Obama.
The question has been asked multiple times. Answer it.

If you think he did label it an act of terror, then why did he refuse to do so for two weeks afterwards? Why blame it on a video?

Romney has nothing to do with Obama's Actions on this, he made a statement based on what he and the rest of the nation saw. Stop evading, answer the question.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #100 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

The question has been asked multiple times. Answer it.
If you think he did label it an act of terror, then why did he refuse to do so for two weeks afterwards? Why blame it on a video?
Romney has nothing to do with Obama's Actions on this, he made a statement based on what he and the rest of the nation saw. Stop evading, answer the question.

Give him a break.  BR knows that he can't answer the question because there is no excuse for the way that the administration is playing politics with this.  Obama knows that the bulk of the press is going to simply eat up whatever he is serving without question.  That means that he can simply blame the video rather than owning up to the fact that this was a planned terrorist attack because that flies in the face of his narrative on terrorism that the US has dealt it a major blow and terrorism is a bad memory in our rear view now.  The various sources that are making it obvious that the administration knew within hours that this had nothing at all to do with a protest is irrelevant to Obama and BR.

post #101 of 151
Quote:

Give him a break.  BR knows that he can't answer the question because there is no excuse for the way that the administration is playing politics with this.  Obama knows that the bulk of the press is going to simply eat up whatever he is serving without question.  That means that he can simply blame the video rather than owning up to the fact that this was a planned terrorist attack because that flies in the face of his narrative on terrorism that the US has dealt it a major blow and terrorism is a bad memory in our rear view now.  The various sources that are making it obvious that the administration knew within hours that this had nothing at all to do with a protest is irrelevant to Obama and BR.
If he did not stoop to personal attacks for every response I would be a lot more willing to cut him some slack. I bet he will never answer the question and try to divert it to Romney or me again.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #102 of 151

Just asking: You guys are aware there's a storm of historic proportions approaching the continent, right?

Because I can't seem to find a thread on it in the forum.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #103 of 151

Make one.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #104 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Just asking: You guys are aware there's a storm of historic proportions approaching the continent, right?

Because I can't seem to find a thread on it in the forum.

I sure hope that this storm doesn't end up here in the political forums.  Unfortunately, it very well may.

post #105 of 151
Shall we add another lie to this thread?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/29/obama-jeep-ad_n_2040851.html?utm_hp_ref=elections-2012
Quote:
"And now, after Romney's false claim of Jeep outsourcing to China, Chrysler itself has refuted Romney's lie," he continues. "The truth? Jeep is adding jobs in Ohio."

Or are they?

http://nlpc.org/cached/fiat-says-chrysler-jeep-production-may-move-italy.html?q=stories/2012/10/29/fiat-says-chrysler-jeep-production-may-move-italy
Quote:
Coming hot on the heels of speculation that some Jeep production may be moved to China comes a bombshell from a Bloomberg report. Fiat is now considering moving Chrysler and Jeep production to Italy.

According to the piece, "To counter the severe slump in European sales, (Fiat CEO Sergio) Marchionne is considering building Chrysler models in Italy, including Jeeps, for export to North America. The Italian government is evaluating tax rebates on export goods to help Fiat. Marchionne may announce details of his plan as soon as Oct. 30, the people said."

Sweet, it really was not China, it was Italy. So much better...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #106 of 151
Quote:

Shall we add another lie to this thread?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/29/obama-jeep-ad_n_2040851.html?utm_hp_ref=elections-2012
Quote:
"And now, after Romney's false claim of Jeep outsourcing to China, Chrysler itself has refuted Romney's lie," he continues. "The truth? Jeep is adding jobs in Ohio."

Or are they?

http://nlpc.org/cached/fiat-says-chrysler-jeep-production-may-move-italy.html?q=stories/2012/10/29/fiat-says-chrysler-jeep-production-may-move-italy
Quote:
Coming hot on the heels of speculation that some Jeep production may be moved to China comes a bombshell from a Bloomberg report. Fiat is now considering moving Chrysler and Jeep production to Italy.

According to the piece, "To counter the severe slump in European sales, (Fiat CEO Sergio) Marchionne is considering building Chrysler models in Italy, including Jeeps, for export to North America. The Italian government is evaluating tax rebates on export goods to help Fiat. Marchionne may announce details of his plan as soon as Oct. 30, the people said."

Sweet, it really was not China, it was Italy. So much better...

Are you referring to this plan?  If so it's explained a little better than in the link that you gave.

post #107 of 151
Quote:

1.  They didn't know everything, true.  But they knew it wasn't due to a video, nor was there a mob.  

2.  OMG!  400 miles?  You of all people should know "we have these ships called aircraft carriers...that planes land on."   We had forced that could have gotten there.  And you damn well know it.

3.  You give Obama zero scrutiny while assailing Romney, even though Obama is currently in charge.  #PotKettleBlack 

post #108 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

2.  OMG!  400 miles?  You of all people should know "we have these ships called aircraft carriers...that planes land on."   We had forced that could have gotten there.  And you damn well know it.

Touché. Nicely done.

post #109 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Touché. Nicely done.

Bullshit.  Yes, let's bring air support and bomb the embassy to protect the embassy.  SDW's allusion is bad and he should feel bad.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #110 of 151

Air support was requested numerous times and never came. And the President was watching in real time. End of story.

post #111 of 151

I'll wait for independent confirmation on what is currently a "Fox News Exclusive".

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #112 of 151
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Touché. Nicely done.

Bullshit.  Yes, let's bring air support and bomb the embassy to protect the embassy.  SDW's allusion is bad and he should feel bad.

It was not totally off base though. Bombing the consulate would not have been a good idea, but they could perhaps have flown in some ground support and/or attack helicopters - that is a reasonable suggestion.

post #113 of 151

Perhaps I should dig around the archives just after 9/11/01 to see how I should respond to using a national tragedy for political gain.  I'm sure I'll see nothing hypocritical.  But, don't have the time or the desire, really.  I'll just wait and see if there's any independent confirmation of this "Fox News Exclusive" and see what the official investigation digs up--rather than being impatient, slinging mud, and drawing up ridiculous conspiracy theories (like the one I just read about a right-wing nutter thinking President Obama ordered the kidnapping of the Ambassador--just fucking wow).

Stop playing Armchair Monday-morning General and let's see what the official investigation comes up with.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #114 of 151
Quote:

Perhaps I should dig around the archives just after 9/11/01 to see how I should respond to using a national tragedy for political gain.  I'm sure I'll see nothing hypocritical.  But, don't have the time or the desire, really.  I'll just wait and see if there's any independent confirmation of this "Fox News Exclusive" and see what the official investigation digs up--rather than being impatient, slinging mud, and drawing up ridiculous conspiracy theories (like the one I just read about a right-wing nutter thinking President Obama ordered the kidnapping of the Ambassador--just fucking wow).

Stop playing Armchair Monday-morning General and let's see what the official investigation comes up with.

I would not get too worked up over this. The mudslinging has definitely got worse since 2001, and the conspiracy theories don't really deserve to be dignified with responses. It looks like mistakes may have been made on both the response to and the information management of this event; nothing terribly unusual about either of those, and unless something really serious turns up this is likely to have been mostly just political hot air. If this were not an election year I doubt that we would be seeing nearly this level of mock outrage.

post #115 of 151

Romney did, however, admit that he would take advantage of a national security crisis for political gain at the fundraiser that was secretly taped.  Hey, he didn't lie about something.  Color me impressed.  The video title, by the way, is incorrect.  Romney doesn't want another crisis, but he will certainly take advantage of one if it comes up.  The most damning part of the video is in the last 5 seconds.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #116 of 151
Quote:

Romney did, however, admit that he would take advantage of a national security crisis for political gain at the fundraiser that was secretly taped.  Hey, he didn't lie about something.  Color me impressed.  The video title, by the way, is incorrect.  Romney doesn't want another crisis, but he will certainly take advantage of one if it comes up.  The most damning part of the video is in the last 5 seconds.

Worse than any foreign attack.

Didn't someone in the Bush WH say something along the lines of "We need another Pearl Harbor"?  Aren't many of the same people now advisors to Mittens?

Frightening that they would want anything to happen to Americans just for political gain. 

Edited by Bergermeister - 10/29/12 at 10:20pm

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #117 of 151
Quote:

I wonder what is said in the next 5 seconds?  Could it be something along the lines of, "I'll take advantage of the opportunity to further solidify the support against Iran in the UN in order to finally help the Iranian people get a leadership that is actually worthy of them thru supporting real democratic elections rather than the farce that put Ahmedinejad in control."  Maybe taking advantage of the opportunity was referring to finally convincing China and Russia to take an active roll in completely isolating Iran such that they are finally brought to the point of reason on the nuclear weapons issue?

Haven't both sides done enough to take things out of context?  Your "most damning" part has absolutely no context since it is cutoff in mid-sentence.  If he were to go on to say something like, "I'll take advantage of the opportunity to invade Iran and establish a puppet state of the US such that we can rape the country of all it's natural resources and ensalve the population." then I would agree that would be damning.  Somehow though I imagine that if that were the case the video wouldn't have been editted to end at the point at which it did.

post #118 of 151
Quote:

Oh, come on.  "Work to take advantage of the opportunity?"  You have no idea what that means. Out of context, cut off mid-thought.  You are clearly desperate.    

post #119 of 151
Quote:

BR, you are the worst type of Hypocrite.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #120 of 151
Quote:

BR, you are the worst type of Hypocrite.

The worst hypocrites, and there are tens of millions of them in the US, are those people who label themselves "Christian" ie "follow" the teachings of Jesus, while at the same time, fully embracing Ayn Rand type sociopathy, the excesses of capitalism, privilege, nepotism and materialism, the wholesale killing of people overseas for profit - account of baldfaced lies, state sponsored killing, general hatred/intolerance for minority groups, and the rest of the rightwing canon. 

Being a true Christian is a very tough call (I could never be one myself, for many reasons, including such). I have met very few genuine ones, and more fakes - or "Convenience Christians" than I can count... and that is probably the same for anyone. It is so easy to talk the talk, while walking a different, but diametrically opposing walk.. especially when your peers are doing the same thing and will never call you on it.

The Truth can be tough.

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › When will the lies stop? Mitt's "Binders Full of Women" story not even true