or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google expected to unveil Android 'Key Lime Pie,' new Nexus handset at Oct. 29 event

Google expected to unveil Android 'Key Lime Pie,' new Nexus handset at Oct. 29 event

post #1 of 110
Less than a week after Apple's "iPad mini" event, Google will host its own media briefing where the company is expected to unveil the next major version of Android, as well as a new Nexus-branded smartphone.

Media were invited this week to event scheduled for Monday, Oct. 29, in New York City. The invitation shows the Android search bar with the tagline "The playground is open," set against a cartoon New YOrk skyline.

In addition to a new Nexus phone expected to be built by LG, Google is also expected to show off the next major version of its Android mobile operating system, dubbed "Key Lime Pie." The successor to Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean" is expected to come preinstalled on the new LG handset, based on the Optimus G design.

Beyond falling less than a week after Apple's Oct. 23 event, Oct. 29 marks the same day that Microsoft will hold its own press briefing across the U.S., in San Francisco. That's where Microsoft will formally launch its own Windows Phone 8 platform, which aims to compete with both Apple's iPhone and devices running Google Android.

LG

Google's event will be held at the Basketball City venue in New York, and will kick off at 10 a.m. Eastern, 7 a.m. Pacific. Microsoft has not yet revealed the venue in San Francisco for its Windows Phone 8 presentation, but it will begin at 1 p.m. Eastern, 10 a.m. Pacific.

And next Tuesday, Apple's event will be held in San Jose, Calif. at the California Theatre. The presentation, in which the company is expected to unveil a smaller iPad along with new Macs, will begin at 1 p.m. Eastern, 10 a.m. Pacific.
post #2 of 110
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
Would be nice if a little more details as to what key lime pie actually adds…...

Incompatibility with all existing devices.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #3 of 110
They also have a new tablet coming out but you didnt hear it from me.
post #4 of 110
Sounds more like Mud Pie to me.
post #5 of 110

"...Google is also expected to show off the next major version of its Android mobile operating system, dubbed "Key Lime Pie."

Bet that will leave a similar acid taste in the mouth after to-day's shock on the stock market!

post #6 of 110
It's amazing how like 60-70% of the base users are still running 2.3 gingerbread, small number have honeycomb..2 years later Icecream sandwich is rolling out right now...yet Jellybean was announced and released not to long ago..and to add to the insult Keylime Pie is being announced before anyone gets to experience the previous versions...
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
post #7 of 110
Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post
…gets to experience the previous versions…

You say that as though it would be desirable. 

post #8 of 110
Good grief, does google update their operating system every month now?
post #9 of 110
Quote:

Would be nice if a little more details as to what key lime pie actually adds......

My wife tells me it adds pounds!
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #10 of 110
Quote:

It's amazing how like 60-70% of the base users are still running 2.3 gingerbread, small number have honeycomb..2 years later Icecream sandwich is rolling out right now...yet Jellybean was announced and released not to long ago..and to add to the insult Keylime Pie is being announced before anyone gets to experience the previous versions...

What's amazing is the mentality that upgrading is a necessity or that somehow one suffers from not being able to install the latest version.  Gingerbread is kinda dated but still works just fine.  

post #11 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You say that as though it would be desirable. 

Not intending too, it's just mind numbing, but hey some people like having quickly out of date operating systems I guess..
White Nexus 7 8GB
White Nexus 7 8GB
post #12 of 110
Quote:

Your numbers disagree with Google's, they say 55.8% are on gingerbread, and this is decreasing each report, 25.5% are running 4 or above
post #13 of 110
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post
What's amazing is the mentality that upgrading is a necessity or that somehow one suffers from not being able to install the latest version.  Gingerbread is kinda dated but still works just fine.  

iOS 3.1.3 is also dated, but still works just fine.

Oh, what's that? It's a thousand posts from trolls in the Anti-Apple Brigade yelling about how "lost features" from not being able to upgrade are ruining Apple's OS. 

But not… Google's, apparently. Okay.

post #14 of 110
Quote:

Wow. Guess we should all still use windoz 98 then?

Yes it's important, security patches (they are still prevelant) Optimizations, list goes on and on..but that's not the point. These announcements are too frequent yet 90% of the hardware won't get support. That's not cool if you buy the latest phone and can't update it.
White Nexus 7 8GB
White Nexus 7 8GB
post #15 of 110
Quote:

Would be nice if a little more details as to what key lime pie actually adds......

Maybe it's a bug fix.  It sounds as though their OS releases get released faster than the users can install them.  They still don't have many users with ICS or JB.

post #16 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Your numbers disagree with Google's, they say 55.8% are on gingerbread, and this is decreasing each report, 25.5% are running 4 or above

Uh yeah..decreasing because They are finally getting 4.0 ICS years later then initial release..even though jellybean has been out for how long? and the fact that some phones had it preloaded like the S3.
White Nexus 7 8GB
White Nexus 7 8GB
post #17 of 110
Key lime pie?

How about Root Beer Float?
post #18 of 110
Quote:

That's not cool if you buy the latest phone and can't update it.

I think that users are more likely to update a Nexus phone than some other brand because Nexus runs pure unadulterated Android from Google not some tweaked version from an OEM or carrier.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #19 of 110
Quote:

Uh yeah..decreasing because They are finally getting 4.0 ICS years later then initial release..even though jellybean has been out for how long? and the fact that some phones had it preloaded like the S3.

ICS is only about a year old. It was released this time last year with the Galaxy Nexus. And general availability in the US wasn't until December if I remember correctly. JB came out on June 27th.

post #20 of 110
Originally Posted by msantti View Post
Key lime pie?
How about Root Beer Float?

That's seven versions away.

So… sometime next year.

post #21 of 110
Quote:

It's not about the necessity to upgrade, it's about the ability to upgrade and the ease of upgrading. That whole 'choice' thing we hear from google.
post #22 of 110
Quote:

hahaha :)

post #23 of 110
Quote:

Except for the huge number of unpatched vulnerabilities....

post #24 of 110
Quote:

NOT... Android updates don't 'break things' like so many iOS updates have - They simply improve the user experience while moving mobile operating systems forward.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #25 of 110
Quote:

Funny you can run Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean" on the original HTC G1. It is not fast, but the point is it works. So please tell me again how android 4.2 it will be incompatible.

Can you even run iOS 6 on a iPhone 3g? Let alone the original?

post #26 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by malta View Post

Probably if you jailbreak it. The point is that Apple doesn't want you to because it would be a poor user experience.

post #27 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by malta View Post

Funny you can run Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean" on the original HTC G1. It is not fast, but the point is it works. So please tell me again how android 4.2 it will be incompatible.

because they is unusually and in the US unless the US carriers allow the upgrade to the new OS you can not get even is the processor in your phone may support it. Also most Samsung and Motorola Phones which do not support the newer verses on older hardware, and when I mean old I am talking about a phone that maybe only a year or so old. So if you want the latest OS from Android you need to upgrade hardware most time. They are following the M$ approach, create features which require hardware to be update there by allowing your hardware partner to keep selling new product so people can get a new software feature.

I am on my 3rd Motorola Android phone in 3 yrs ( company paid) and the last two were stuck on the release of the android they shipped with, no upgrade path. The one I have now which is on 2 months old stuck on 4.0 and they can not say whether it can be upgraded to 4.1, again it is up to the service provider to determine.

At least with Apple the Cell phone companies have no say so in what version of OS you can use or what features you get.

This the Android reality which most people have no idea is going on, most probably do not care they buy another phone just to get a new phone since the are treated as throw away items.

Edited by Maestro64 - 10/18/12 at 1:42pm
post #28 of 110

That will definitely blend!

post #29 of 110

Another Android OS update?

The fifteen people that will be able to install it must be very excited!

post #30 of 110

I love how my anti-troll comment brought 'em out of the woodwork.

And I don't know about iOS 6, but I have iOS 5 on my first-gen.

post #31 of 110

I'm not sure why their naming schemes bother me so much, but they just seem lame.  I cringe every time I picture their executives in a board room brainstorming new OS nicknames. 

Oh well, instead of fighting it, maybe I should just help them out for the next one.  They seem to like three word foods, so I am thinking the next one should be called...

Chicken Noodle Soup.

post #32 of 110

Key Lime Pie...coming to a smartphone not near you....

post #33 of 110
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Oh well, instead of fighting it, maybe I should just help them out for the next one.  They seem to like three word foods, so I am thinking the next one should be called...

Chicken Noodle Soup.

Gotta be a dessert, and it's in alphabetical order.

Lemon Meringue is next.

post #34 of 110
Quote:

They seem to like three word foods, so I am thinking the next one should be called...

Chicken Noodle Soup.

No, they have to be sweet deserts-like and Jelly Bean only has two words so there is no word count requirement

post #35 of 110
Quote:

I'm not sure why their naming schemes bother me so much, but they just seem lame.  I cringe every time I picture their executives in a board room brainstorming new OS nicknames. 

Chicken Noodle Soup.

Or maybe Anus Fruit Shake

oh sorry, wrong site 1embarassed.gif

post #36 of 110

I have a galaxy nexus and I didn't get an update for Jelly Bean until last month. MONTHS after it was released and I have a Nexus!! You know why? because a Canadian nexus isn't a real nexus, the update comes from Samsung, not Google. How long will I have to wait for KLP?

An on my 4S? I can install iOS6 the very same day it was released.

post #37 of 110
Quote:

I love how my anti-troll comment brought 'em out of the woodwork.

And I don't know about iOS 6, but I have iOS 5 on my first-gen.

How does that work for you? (Seriously curious here, not smart-ass… 1wink.gif )
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
post #38 of 110
What a complete joke.

23.7% are on ICS and 1.8% are on JB. ICS might even hit 25% a full year later.

JB still isn't as secure as iOS 5, but it's very close as Google made significant updates. ICS is way begin iOS 5. GB is pathetic.

DaHarder, you should educate yourself on how Android works. The reason Apps work is because developers are coding for Froyo (API level 8) or GB (API levels 9 & 10). Nobody codes for ICS or JB (API 15 & 16) since they'd have a much smaller market of potential devices (customers) to sell to. Android Apps are NOT backward compatible. An App coded for ICS will not run on a GB device. They are forward compatible, so Apps written for Froyo will run on any device up to JB.

So you get a JB phone and you're stuck running Apps that use NONE of the new API's of JB since your App is using a SUBSET of API's by targeting an older version (like Froyo).

What's the point of having all those new API's if you can't find any Apps that use them?

Meanwhile iOS 6 hit 60% of phone and 40% of tablets in less than 2 weeks. If I'm a developer I can code using the new iOS 6 API's and even a 3GS will run my App. I also know 60% of users can buy my App and that number will climb much higher in the coming months.

Android is a mess.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #39 of 110
Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post
How does that work for you? (Seriously curious here, not smart-ass… 1wink.gif )

Far better than I imagined it would! Yeah, it's slowish. Not nearly as slow as they'd have you believe. Every once in a while, you have to reboot because of a memory leak somewhere, but it speeds right back up once you do. 

post #40 of 110
Quote:

Gotta be a dessert, and it's in alphabetical order.

Lemon Meringue is next.

Lollipop is easier to spell for the kiddies.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google expected to unveil Android 'Key Lime Pie,' new Nexus handset at Oct. 29 event
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google expected to unveil Android 'Key Lime Pie,' new Nexus handset at Oct. 29 event