or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google expected to unveil Android 'Key Lime Pie,' new Nexus handset at Oct. 29 event

Google expected to unveil Android 'Key Lime Pie,' new Nexus handset at Oct. 29 event - Page 2

post #41 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Lemon Meringue is next.

It's Leftover Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, and Key Lime Pie.

Lots of Leftovers.

After Leftovers, and maintaining the alphabetical order, Google will release this for dessert.

Edited by Cpsro - 10/18/12 at 2:14pm
post #42 of 110
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
Lollipop is easier to spell for the kiddies.

Pff. What does it matter; they'll never be able to upgrade to it. lol.gif

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #43 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Gotta be a dessert, and it's in alphabetical order.

Lemon Meringue is next.

Yeah but Lemon Meringue sounds like a real option, whereas I wanted to go for comedy/absurdity in order to belittle their efforts.  Chicken Noodle Soup just sounds funny.  Oh wait, I have a beter one... Frozen Corndog!!!   :)

post #44 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My wife tells me it adds pounds!

does she have experience with that? 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #45 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I'm not sure why their naming schemes bother me so much, but they just seem lame.  I cringe every time I picture their executives in a board room brainstorming new OS nicknames. 

Oh well, instead of fighting it, maybe I should just help them out for the next one.  They seem to like three word foods, so I am thinking the next one should be called...
Chicken Noodle Soup.

Meatloaf?
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #46 of 110
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post
Yeah but Lemon Meringue sounds like a real option, whereas I wanted to go for comedy/absurdity in order to belittle their efforts.

Okay, then.

Chocolate Chip Pancakes And Sausage On A Stick.

post #47 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by malta View Post

Funny you can run Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean" on the original HTC G1. It is not fast, but the point is it works. So please tell me again how android 4.2 it will be incompatible.

Can you even run iOS 6 on a iPhone 3g? Let alone the original?

Show us where HTC has released 4.1 for their HTC Dream.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #48 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

What a complete joke.

23.7% are on ICS and 1.8% are on JB. ICS might even hit 25% a full year later.

JB still isn't as secure as iOS 5, but it's very close as Google made significant updates. ICS is way begin iOS 5. GB is pathetic.

DaHarder, you should educate yourself on how Android works. The reason Apps work is because developers are coding for Froyo (API level 8) or GB (API levels 9 & 10). Nobody codes for ICS or JB (API 15 & 16) since they'd have a much smaller market of potential devices (customers) to sell to. Android Apps are NOT backward compatible. An App coded for ICS will not run on a GB device. They are forward compatible, so Apps written for Froyo will run on any device up to JB.

So you get a JB phone and you're stuck running Apps that use NONE of the new API's of JB since your App is using a SUBSET of API's by targeting an older version (like Froyo).

What's the point of having all those new API's if you can't find any Apps that use them?

Meanwhile iOS 6 hit 60% of phone and 40% of tablets in less than 2 weeks. If I'm a developer I can code using the new iOS 6 API's and even a 3GS will run my App. I also know 60% of users can buy my App and that number will climb much higher in the coming months.

Android is a mess.

It is also interesting to note, that although Apple replaced Google maps with Apple maps in iOS 6 -- Any iOS 3 - iOS 5 apps that were written using the Apple MapKit APIs run without change under iOS 6 –- even though the backend changed completely.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #49 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

Sounds more like Mud Pie to me.

Key Slime Pie?
post #50 of 110
After KLP I'm weighing in on Lemon Soufflé. It seems like a good bet it'll start with Lemon but I'm choosing Soufflé for the rest on the name.

post #51 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Good grief, does google update their operating system every month now?

Rant or Rave?

in the early days of OS X, Apple would release several point releases a year, each with additional functionality (re: not just bug fixes).  Apple argued they were bigger than Service Packs.

Google has to push new OSes out to attract carriers to request OEMS to build new devices (carriers compete on function of their phone fleet).   The environment is totally different than OEM PCs  (OS releases caused instability with deployed systems... in the carrier model, the OS is what you ship with, never to be upgraded in the field). or iOS, where back compatibility is a requirement because Apple implicitly warrants their 'fleet' for at least 2 years.

post #52 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Meatloaf?

tripe.

post #53 of 110

lol.gif

post #54 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Would be nice if a little more details as to what key lime pie actually adds......

Six months of sub 1% Android OS share.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #55 of 110
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

tripe.

Haggis?
post #56 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Haggis?

Haggis on a stick with chocolate chips, going on the prior example of American food in this thread.

post #57 of 110

A lot of phones don't even have Jelly Bean yet.     

post #58 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. 

I've got an idea for the name on the tip of my tongue… It'lll come to me...
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #59 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

tripe.

Haggis?

ZYZZX Tort... and be done with this silliness -- Android releases, not the names!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #60 of 110
So it is the Android update flavor of the week? They just had an update that wasn't on any devices but one, didn't they? They're giving Barney a bad name! (Barney is an arcane reference to the cartoon that first carried the name 'Google' into the public eye. I used to read it every Sunday in the Trib, the Adventures of 'Barney Google and Snuffy Smith', so there)
post #61 of 110

Damn this thread is making me hungry...

I really feel like some Lemon Meringue Pie now.

post #62 of 110

Apple insider is wrong. 4.2 will still be Jellybean, android 5.0 will be Keylime pie and wont arrive until google io of next year. Stop lying. 

post #63 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomSeed View Post

So it is the Android update flavor of the week? They just had an update that wasn't on any devices but one, didn't they? They're giving Barney a bad name! (Barney is an arcane reference to the cartoon that first carried the name 'Google' into the public eye. I used to read it every Sunday in the Trib, the Adventures of 'Barney Google and Snuffy Smith', so there)

You're probably old enough to remember Frick and Frack... Barney it -- if you don't know what I mean...
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #64 of 110
Mmm... Key Lime Pie... Think I'll go out and buy one!

Regarding Android, how long will this new OS take to get into the handsets of the various manufacturers and their phone products that have been released this year?
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #65 of 110
Quote:

What a complete joke.
23.7% are on ICS and 1.8% are on JB. ICS might even hit 25% a full year later.

Except you claim differs from Googles published stats.
Quote:

JB still isn't as secure as iOS 5, but it's very close as Google made significant updates. ICS is way begin iOS 5. GB is pathetic.

Please provide further details to backup this "pathetic" claim
Quote:

DaHarder, you should educate yourself on how Android works. The reason Apps work is because developers are coding for Froyo (API level 8) or GB (API levels 9 & 10). Nobody codes for ICS or JB (API 15 & 16) since they'd have a much smaller market of potential devices (customers) to sell to. Android Apps are NOT backward compatible. An App coded for ICS will not run on a GB device. They are forward compatible, so Apps written for Froyo will run on any device up to JB.

You say no one codes for ICS, then you say an ICS app won't run on GB, which one is it?

And there are ICS only apps
Quote:

So you get a JB phone and you're stuck running Apps that use NONE of the new API's of JB since your App is using a SUBSET of API's by targeting an older version (like Froyo).

Actually that is wrong, you can produce apps that run on GB and also use JB features. Also on a JB phone you get to use UI improvements that JB brings
Quote:

Meanwhile iOS 6 hit 60% of phone and 40% of tablets in less than 2 weeks. If I'm a developer I can code using the new iOS 6 API's and even a 3GS will run my App. I also know 60% of users can buy my App and that number will climb much higher in the coming months.

If the app is forward compatible as you say, then doesn't that mean 100% of people can buy you app?
post #66 of 110

I'm waiting for Piece of Shit Sandwich.

post #67 of 110
Maybe they should call it "released too early" to be consistent with today's earnings report.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #68 of 110
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

I'm waiting for Piece of Shit Sandwich.

No problem, just add an extra layer of Butter.
post #69 of 110

Google expected to unveil Android 'Key Lime Pie,' new Nexus handset at Oct. 29 event

Users expected to be on it somewhere around 2014.

That's actually not a joke, btw. About 75% of Android users are still on 2.3 or earlier. 

http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

post #70 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Except you claim differs from Googles published stats.
Please provide further details to backup this "pathetic" claim
You say no one codes for ICS, then you say an ICS app won't run on GB, which one is it?
And there are ICS only apps
Actually that is wrong, you can produce apps that run on GB and also use JB features. Also on a JB phone you get to use UI improvements that JB brings
If the app is forward compatible as you say, then doesn't that mean 100% of people can buy you app?

Here's the official numbers right from Google. Accurate as of their last update, Oct 1st, 2012. This is where I got my numbers from and you're telling me I'm wrong?

Read these links on Android and ASLR (address space layout randomization). This is something iOS had since before iOS 5.

https://blog.duosecurity.com/2012/02/a-look-at-aslr-in-android-ice-cream-sandwich-4-0/

https://blog.duosecurity.com/2012/07/exploit-mitigations-in-android-jelly-bean-4-1/

And this is only one specific area. Would you like me to go over additional ones?

I was being facetious when I said nobody codes for ICS. But I might as well have been telling the truth based on the very small number of Apps available that actually take advantage of ICS or JB. The bottom line is most Apps are coded for Froyo or GB.

Yes you can write Apps that will use JB features if it's running on a JB device and not use them if it's on a GB device, but that's a crappy way to write software. That's like having multiple versions of an App inside one and selecting which portions to run based on what OS the App detects. It's a hack workaround to solve Androids terrible fragmentation problem.

Forward compatible means an App coded to Froyo will run on all versions up to JB. So what? That's nothing to brag about. The issue is that an App using features of JB will not work on older versions (or if the developer has done the "hack" I described above, then the App will run on older versions with reduced functionality).

Either way you're making compromises. As I said, it's a crappy way have to write software.

Edited by EricTheHalfBee - 10/18/12 at 8:15pm

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #71 of 110

I hope Phandroids won't get DIABETES in all of these software updates.

post #72 of 110
Never mind, piped by message above.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #73 of 110
And the fragmentation divide grows...
post #74 of 110
Quote:

Here's the official numbers right from Google. Accurate as of their last update, Oct 1st, 2012. This is where I got my numbers from and you're telling me I'm wrong?

yes I do, you said

"23.7% are on ICS and 1.8% are on JB. ICS might even hit 25% a full year later."

If you look at that page, and see the increase in use ICS has had, you would know it will be far in excess of 25% in a year.
Quote:

Read these links on Android and ALSR (address space layout randomization). This is something iOS had since before iOS 5.

And this is only one specific area. Would you like me to go over additional ones?

Sorry, I'm not sure what part of my message you are referring to?
post #75 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post

ICS is only about a year old. It was released this time last year with the Galaxy Nexus. And general availability in the US wasn't until December if I remember correctly. JB came out on June 27th.

“Samsung are working as quickly as possible to address Australian market specific issues for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. We will launch the Jellybean software as soon as the software has met all our quality checks and is network tested and approved by our partners.” - 12/10/2012

Update 16/10/2012:

Samsung have now confirmed to us that the build that is currently under preparation is based on the Android 4.1.2 codebase.

We do not have any further information to share on expected delivery from Samsung for testing or when it will be available to customers.

Source

The race is on, which will come first key lime pie or jelly bean on my Nexus.

Samsung have always been poor with their software updates, going all the way back to their Symbian and WinMo days.

I can't see how Google could have trusted them with one Nexus let alone two

post #76 of 110
Quote:

yes I do, you said
"23.7% are on ICS and 1.8% are on JB. ICS might even hit 25% a full year later."
If you look at that page, and see the increase in use ICS has had, you would know it will be far in excess of 25% in a year.
Sorry, I'm not sure what part of my message you are referring to?

ICs was announced on Oct 19th which makes it exactly one year tomorrow. The source code was available in November. ICS may pass 25% by November, but that's not the issue. Whether it hits 25%, 26% or 28% is irrelevant - what's relevant is that after one year it's still a distant #2 in terms of the number of users.

Not aware of which part I'm referring to? ASLR is related to security and is someting anyone familiar with programming would understand. You asked me about security and I gave you an example. If you don't know what ASLR is, then I see no point in trying to debate iOS vs Android security issues with you.

post #77 of 110
Quote:

yes I do, you said

I read that to be that ICS might hit 25% one full year after release.  Which was in October 19, 2011.

Somehow I'm not seeing ICS penetration to be "far in excess of 25%" by tomorrow.

post #78 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Probably if you jailbreak it. The point is that Apple doesn't want you to because it would be a poor user experience.

iOS 4 was piss poor on the 3G yet Apple allowed it...  Turned my phone into a paperweight, was awesome.   Now because of that my wife is afraid to update her 3GS...

post #79 of 110
Quote:

ICs was announced on Oct 19th which makes it exactly one year tomorrow. The source code was available in November. ICS may pass 25% by November, but that's not the issue. Whether it hits 25%, 26% or 28% is irrelevant - what's relevant is that after one year it's still a distant #2 in terms of the number of users.

If that is what you are meaning, then yes you are right, I read it differently than that, maybe you should have put one year from release.

Quote:

Not aware of which part I'm referring to? ASLR is related to security and is someting anyone familiar with programming would understand. You asked me about security and I gave you an example. If you don't know what ASLR is, then I see no point in trying to debate iOS vs Android security issues with you.

yes, I didn't know what part you were referencing as you bunched your reply up into one section, but security, thanks that makes sense.
post #80 of 110

Does that fact that Carriers and OEMs suck at updating devices mean that google has to halt development of android. Google is doing what they need to do and that is innovating and supporting the OS. Do not get mad at google for updating the OS. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google expected to unveil Android 'Key Lime Pie,' new Nexus handset at Oct. 29 event
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google expected to unveil Android 'Key Lime Pie,' new Nexus handset at Oct. 29 event