or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google expected to unveil Android 'Key Lime Pie,' new Nexus handset at Oct. 29 event

Google expected to unveil Android 'Key Lime Pie,' new Nexus handset at Oct. 29 event - Page 3

post #81 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Maybe it's a bug fix.  It sounds as though their OS releases get released faster than the users can install them.  They still don't have many users with ICS or JB.

Unlike the Apple ecosystem, android users rarely are allowed to install the latest OS. When I bought my smart phone it had Gingerbread and was still running that flavor THREE years later when I finally bought my iPhone last month. 

This high built-in inertia means the latest apps for Android are built to accommodate the mass of users still on Gingerbread phones and not those with a brand new android phone.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #82 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Does that fact that Carriers and OEMs suck at updating devices mean that google has to halt development of android. Google is doing what they need to do and that is innovating and supporting the OS. Do not get mad at google for updating the OS. 

However, do not overlook Google's own factor in this farce. Google re-wrote the terms and conditions the OEMs have to agree to if they want to use the newer flavors of android. These new restrictive terms discourage the OEMs from jumping onto the upgrade bandwagon. This is what happens when you (the user) are not Google's customer... just the product to be sold to their real customers.

post #83 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

iOS 4 was piss poor on the 3G yet Apple allowed it...  Turned my phone into a paperweight, was awesome.   Now because of that my wife is afraid to update her 3GS...

.. .but... but... but what a beautiful, thin, and highly crafted paperweight it became... You never see android phone owners making that brag statement! 

post #84 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Haggis on a stick with chocolate chips, going on the prior example of American food in this thread.

If it's going to be Americanized, then it will be deep fried haggis on a stick and rolled in ketchup. 

post #85 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Samsung have always been poor with their software updates, going all the way back to their Symbian and WinMo days.

I can't see how Google could have trusted them with one Nexus let alone two

Apparently Google trusts Samsung more then they do Motorola since that poor dog hasn't been thrown a bone yet...

post #86 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

What's amazing is the mentality that upgrading is a necessity or that somehow one suffers from not being able to install the latest version.  Gingerbread is kinda dated but still works just fine.  

The people should be able to upgrade their OS. It's their right! I remember in 1993 I bought a 286 PC with very small amount of RAM. I wanted to install Windows 3.1 and I did install it! Yes, it was very sluggish and I had to wait like 20 minutes to boot, but it was my right to install it! This is the most important reason why I will not move from Apple to Android. I don't like a lot of things Apple does, but I'm left out of alternatives so I'm stuck with Apple for now. Unfortunately. Just yesterday I needed to use the Maps to find the location of a bank. I pull out my iPhone but I realize I don't have Google Maps anymore! I still tried to search but, of course, Apple Maps did not return any result! I had to go home to my laptop and check Google Maps! Why did I upgraded to iOS 6?!?
post #87 of 110
The only pie i'd like to see now is the pie-chart of the Android version market. How many people still run 2.2, 2.3, 3.0, 3.2, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2.
Samsung's latest offering (SGS3) still runs outdated OS and Samsung says the update is coming in a few months. So it will come out AFTER Keylime Pie released and by that time Samsung will be already 1-2 versions behind. Wow.
post #88 of 110
That's cool, I'm impatient to see what new stuff it'll bring about.
Also impatient to see some new Nexus phones.
post #89 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

The people should be able to upgrade their OS. It's their right! I remember in 1993 I bought a 286 PC with very small amount of RAM. I wanted to install Windows 3.1 and I did install it! Yes, it was very sluggish and I had to wait like 20 minutes to boot, but it was my right to install it! This is the most important reason why I will not move from Apple to Android. I don't like a lot of things Apple does, but I'm left out of alternatives so I'm stuck with Apple for now. Unfortunately. Just yesterday I needed to use the Maps to find the location of a bank. I pull out my iPhone but I realize I don't have Google Maps anymore! I still tried to search but, of course, Apple Maps did not return any result! I had to go home to my laptop and check Google Maps! Why did I upgraded to iOS 6?!?

And what about the right to upgrade the RAM on your PC so that it can run the latest programs well? Apple is clearly going in the direction opposite to that.

post #90 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiDigital View Post

The only pie i'd like to see now is the pie-chart of the Android version market. How many people still run 2.2, 2.3, 3.0, 3.2, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2.
Samsung's latest offering (SGS3) still runs outdated OS and Samsung says the update is coming in a few months. So it will come out AFTER Keylime Pie released and by that time Samsung will be already 1-2 versions behind. Wow.

If you want to see that page then why don't you look at the Google Android Developers page with that pie on it?

Also, Jelly Bean has been released for the SIII, how is that outdated?
post #91 of 110

His info seems outdated.

post #92 of 110

The uptake of active users for each new version of Android seems to get slower and slower, smaller and smaller.

Android is out running it own hardware and increasing fragmentation.

The majority are still on what? 2.3... with new phones still coming out on it.

iOS 6 on the other hand now makes up the majority on all iOS devices... just weeks after launch.

post #93 of 110

That's not Google's fault, but Samsung and others' fault. They will have to change since the average user is beginning to understand that non-Nexus phones aren't that well supported. That's also why Google is apparently going to do a few Nexus phones at the same time.

Edited by ClemyNX - 10/19/12 at 4:01am
post #94 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

That's not Google's fault, but Samsung and others' fault. They will have to change since the average user is beginning to understand that non-Nexus phones aren't that well supported. That's also why Google is apparently going to do a few Nexus phones at the same time.

I don't think it isn't anybody's fault. My guess is that the problem is the concept of open source. Some years ago It used to be quite the same mess with all the different linux versions. If you didn't want to spend day's and night's in linux forums there was hardly a chance that a newbie could setup a system without loosing his/her marbles.

I heard it's a lot better now, but still way's to go. So I believe with android it will eventually also catch up, but not this and not next year. I am truly glad, that apple choose the often called closed garden approach. I think for most people it's asked to much to become a techie just to make their smartphone useful and safe.

post #95 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I'm not sure why their naming schemes bother me so much, but they just seem lame.  I cringe every time I picture their executives in a board room brainstorming new OS nicknames. 

Oh well, instead of fighting it, maybe I should just help them out for the next one.  They seem to like three word foods, so I am thinking the next one should be called...
Chicken Noodle Soup.

Lame and annoying. I find. The three-word code names to be the most annoying.
post #96 of 110
Quote:

Not sure what to make of this. You brag about being savvy with your Windows 3.1 install, but you don't have the savvy to type maps.google.com on your iPhone?
post #97 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

.. .but... but... but what a beautiful, thin, and highly crafted paperweight it became... You never see android phone owners making that brag statement! 

Lol.  I have a small replica Cycladic sculpture from Greece I use as a paperweight/desk ornament. 

post #98 of 110
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
Lol.  I have a small replica Cycladic sculpture from Greece I use as a paperweight/desk ornament. 

And it can even run a newer version of Android than two month old Android phones.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #99 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

Not sure what to make of this. You brag about being savvy with your Windows 3.1 install, but you don't have the savvy to type maps.google.com on your iPhone?

Whether he is lying or telling the truth he didn't think it through.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #100 of 110

"I had to go home to my laptop and check Google Maps! Why did I upgraded to iOS 6?!?"

Go buy an Android. People who are too retarded to use Google Maps on Safari on their supposed iPhone don't deserve to be Apple users.

post #101 of 110
Quote:

Just yesterday I needed to use the Maps to find the location of a bank. I pull out my iPhone but I realize I don't have Google Maps anymore! I still tried to search but, of course, Apple Maps did not return any result! I had to go home to my laptop and check Google Maps! Why did I upgraded to iOS 6?!?

I had the very same experience a few months ago with iOS 5 Maps (Google). I was in Portland OR and I wanted to find BoA ATM machine. I queried the maps app and it sent me about 3 blocks away from my hotel only to discover a construction site which I assume used to be a BoA. Later I found out quite by accident that there was a BoA ATM machine less than a block away from my hotel. So it seems all maps apps are susceptible to outdated info.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #102 of 110
What kills me is the way some people here bash Android. I have colleagues using it, they're very happy.

Why wouldn't "more choice" be a good thing? I want choice, and only iOS is not such a thing. And no, Microsoft doesn't strike me as "another choice".

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #103 of 110
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post
Why wouldn't "more choice" be a good thing?

Finagle's heavy hand, not this "argument" again.

I want choice, and only iOS is not such a thing. And no, Microsoft doesn't strike me as "another choice".

"I want "more choice". No, I don't want these choices."

post #104 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"I want "more choice". No, I don't want these choices."

Agreed.  I want legitimate choices, not crap.

A: "Would you like an Apple or Shit?"

B: "Why even mention the alternative if it was Shit?"

A: "Just wanted to give you a choice.  It's the name of our dessert."

B: "Well, it's not a choice if it's Shit!"

Edited by melmel - 10/20/12 at 8:03am
post #105 of 110
Originally Posted by melmel View Post
Agreed.  I want legitimate choices, not crap.

I'm mocking him, not agreeing with him. What he's saying is ludicrous.

post #106 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm mocking him, not agreeing with him. What he's saying is ludicrous.

I know you were mocking him.  I also don't want these so-called choices.

post #107 of 110
Originally Posted by melmel View Post
I know you were mocking him.  I also don't want these so-called choices.

Oh, okay. I'm just a fan of Microsoft getting more marketshare (at the expense of Android), so I didn't know what your section option there was insulting.

post #108 of 110

you say that on an Apple website, with the last name Apple?

post #109 of 110
Android 4+ is a legitimate choice now on phones and tablets. Seriously.
post #110 of 110
No wonder I couldn't find the keynote and no news... Google cancelled the event due to Hurricane Sandy. Man, I'm really falling behind in my tech news.

Still, look forward to more info on Key Lime Pieeeee.

My Nexus 7 rooted now running 4.2 is swwweeeet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Gingerbread seems to be the 'XP' of Android. Sad, but honestly, I don't see what more can be done on Google's part. The ball is in the manufacturer's court; and they're not really interested in updating old, outdated hardware.
I've basically crossed out any Samsung or HTC phone from consideration based solely on their custom skin and reluctance or flat out unwillingness to upgrade their old phones. Most enthusiast users I know have sworn to only consider Nexus devices, and with good reason. I feel the only other Android manufacturer that warrants consideration at this point is Asus, and even they have been slow on upgrades.

Actually Samsung and HTC are not that bad because while do they have their own quirks they are starting to roll out ICS updates. This is my understanding.

Sony, a late, late, comer to the game, rolled out ICS 4.0.4. It's a massive difference.

So for mid-level to lower-end Android phones, yeah, I say good luck to the users.

But if you're talking mid- to high-end Android phones, Samsung, HTC, Moto, Sony, etc. know they got to get on the 4.0 bandwagon.

Gingerbread has a ludicrous 50% share but ICS and Jelly Bean (aka 4.0 and above) are around 25%, and this is sort of the cream (pun unintended) of the Android phones.

The thing is that most phone companies and telcos know now that by hook or by crook to stay in the quality customer mix they gotta move to 4 for 2013 as far as possible.

No doubt Google also has to get on their backs more to encourage them to offer upgrades for customers.

It's a win-win. The Sony Xperia S on 2.3.7 is a total, total piece of crap. On 4.0.4... it's quite impressive.

As for Nexus, for me, definitely I will stick to Nexus's for phones and tablets in the future, for sure, where possible, because it gives you unparalleled, unadulterated Android experiences.
Edited by sr2012 - 11/30/12 at 7:22am
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google expected to unveil Android 'Key Lime Pie,' new Nexus handset at Oct. 29 event
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google expected to unveil Android 'Key Lime Pie,' new Nexus handset at Oct. 29 event